Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
Don't read too much into the old timers comment. Friendly banter, nothing more. We like to do it to millennials too.

No offense taken. I am glad I made it to old timer status. Many of us don't get there for one reason or another. Heck, I was a grumpy young man. At least I am now acting my age!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
All I know is Sonny Seibert gets that ball up high and fast!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I’ve heard a murmur, of Phil Dawson, from Grossi.

It is obviously not ideal, but we have to consider this a viable option. Not just a 2:00am special teams rant. I hope it doesn’t come to that, but we must consider.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
I’ve heard a murmur, of Phil Dawson, from Grossi.
/

Grossi knows less than nothing.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I would use the term reverence, but we can agree to disagree

Legend
Legend
It’d be neat to bring back Phil for a few years, but I’m not sure he’s the best option at his age

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I'd be shocked if Dorsey brought in Dawson.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
He's too old. I know people love Phil, but that would be a dumb move.

Legend
Legend
I’d also be shocked if our STs aren’t improved ... IIRC, our draft was geared towards helping STs in the mid/late rounds

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Skinny posts for the kickers

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Haha love the skinny posts

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Do teams normally do this? I can’t say I’ve seen that before.

Legend
Legend
I think so. I remember Pat McAfee telling a story about the Colts doing it and how normal it is

B
Legend
Legend
B

They have done that for a long while. Normal width in 18' 6". Teams usually set them at 12' wide.

The cross bar is 10'off the ground. Looking at the picture the posts look about as wide as the are off the ground which would make them 10' wide, but I think the angle distorts the view.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Ouch. Hopefully those misses by Siebert were 60+ yarders or he's really sick or something. 1-4 in training camp probably means you won't be here tomorrow.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Incumbent Greg Joseph taking control of #Browns kicking battle, going 4-for-4 on field goals just now. Rookie fifth-round draft pick Austin Seibert went 1-for-4, missing back-to-back kicks from 43 and 52 yards to end drill.

https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1155491338714058752

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
So why don’t they just switch the holders every other day ... or have Britton hold for both

E
Legend
Legend
E
I can care less who does what now...I want to know who will do what with oncoming Rushers in game time situations. So preseason will be the real battle for these kickers.

I don't care who as long as we have a reliable kicker for the playoffs! Last year we lost, what??? 3 games on the kicking alone??? That has to be -0- Nice to see Joseph doing well when there is no pressure...he always had a good strong leg. But his best kick was a winner against the Ravens that didn't get more than 15 feet off the ground and was a knuckle ball!

I don't want Practice players on this team I want Football game day players! Is there an outright system for the coaches to determine this success rate??? All I know is Joseph last year didn't instill much and was the #1 reason I think Kitchens went for it on 4th down last year.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Jc

It seems like our kicking situation remains a big question mark at this point. The draft pick certainly can’t make the team at this point ... and the incumbent doesn’t necessarily inspire a lot of confidence either

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Welp, we can officially scrap PD from potential plans, bit of a bummer. I suppose he has done enough for us. I want to scream everytime I hear someone come on WKNR and say, “the Browns don’t really have a weakness”.

Ummm, hello.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Welp, we can officially scrap PD from potential plans, bit of a bummer. I suppose he has done enough for us. I want to scream everytime I hear someone come on WKNR and say, “the Browns don’t really have a weakness”.

Ummm, hello.
Yeah , that's a little bit homerism there.

We have a weakness at K, as well as the right side of our line. We still don't have a starter at RG last I heard, and its not because the guys we have are all sooooo good.

Legend
Legend
Kicking can't be a weakness if we don't ever have to kick.

#nextlevel #usinthenoggin #twopointseverytime #hashtag

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Kicking can't be a weakness if we don't ever have to kick.

#nextlevel #usinthenoggin #twopointseverytime #hashtag

#analytics

B
Legend
Legend
B
Kicking isn't a weakness until we get to the season and lose more than 1 game because of missing fairly simple kicks....say 40 and in....maybe 45 in All kickers miss some kicks, and that is in decent conditions. If the weather sucks for any number of reasons, I don't blame kickers for a missed kick with snow on the ground or 30MPH swirling winds..

I am not going to get all bunched up about it at this point.

Right now by all accounts, Joseph is making most of his kicks and Siebert is struggling. If it stays this way, I hope we make sound football decisions and don't let ego get in the way. I hope we don't keep him because 5th round drafted kickers are supposed to make the team.

Cutting a 5th round kicker is about the same as cutting a 2nd round non-kicker. Heck, maybe close to cutting your first round pick considering most kickers are usually drafted in the 7th or signed as a UDFA.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
While I don’t agree with 2 points everytime, you bring up a good point. Some smart cats at MIT did a study several years ago, it basically said NFL teams play scared. That going for it on fourth down, especially in opponents territory, is the right move.

If our kicking situation stays stays quo, I would not be shocked to see the Browns lead the league, in 4th down attempts.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I agree that if Joseph is out-performing the draft pick , we keep Joseph. And look around at other kickers, possibly.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its way to early to panic ... but if these two don’t improve in game situations ... we’ll be skowering the waiver wire come time ... these guys have 2 maybe 3 more weeks to start being consistent in game situations or their days are numbered ..

No way are KJ/Freddie gonna let us lose games cause of our FG kicker .. NOT A SHOT IN HECK!!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Has Joseph been performing poorly in camp? Last time I looked he was 8 of 9. Did he miss a bunch in a row after that?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Except for QB, I think K is the most important single position.

If you have an o-lineman who is bad, you can scheme around him. Run to the other side, use a back or TE to chip. Cb? Safety help, D-line? Stunt, Punter? The D can make a stand.

But if the K is bad, there is no getting around it.
Missing kicks cost games

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D
He’s doing great “off to the side” .. almost perfect ... rook is inconsistent even off to the side ...

Freddie then has game situations every practice ... and Joseph’s not doing good at all .. not sure overall but the other day he was 1 - 4 ...

The rook is struggling ... not to worried about him ... he has the rugby dude holding for him and he’s never held before so u have the rook dealing with an inexperienced holder and dealing with not having a tee to kick off of like they do in college for FG’s and dealing with his first nfl camp ... OK thelast one’s kinda BS but the other two are legite ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Has Joseph been performing poorly in camp? Last time I looked he was 8 of 9. Did he miss a bunch in a row after that?

Rookie fifth-round pick Austin Seibert has struggled with consistency, and on Wednesday, Greg Joseph joined him in struggling during team periods, where end-of-game situations are simulated.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/08...rs-chances.html

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks to you and Diam.

I hate the videos and haven't been watching them. I like reading articles and there haven't been too many of them. Obviously, I missed a lot.

Thanks again for the info, guys.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cleveland.com gives a daily training camp update
The link I gave was Training Camp: Day 7

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks again. I have always despised press conferences and interviews for the most part. I am a pretty good public speaker and listening to those guys drives me absolutely crazy. They can't even utter a complete sentence. I prefer to read an editorialized version. LOL

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Its way to early to panic ...

I disagree, it’s the perfect time to panic. Maybe I’m still playing Tressel ball at tOSU, but special teams are way important. We cannot go another season holding our breath, during punt returns and kicks. Can’t do it, won’t do it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

There are 2 points raised earlier in this discussion that seem to have been lost. First, someone pointed out that Joseph had learned a new approach (the 2-3 steps taken before kicking the ball.) The new approach was said to result in a better trajectory of the ball than we saw from him last season. Most of us are apprehensive about Joseph because we remember the knuckleballs he was kicking last year. If the new approach is working, then that may not be a problem anymore.

The second point made earlier was that most or all of Siebert's kicks were with Gillam holding. Gillam's lack of experience with holding for place kicks may be contributing to Siebert's inaccuracy. I would hope that the coaches would give Siebert time kicking with Colquitt holding to see it that improves his accuracy.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
J/c

No kicking yesterday in camp I guess ... at this point I just hope that Joseph pulls away in the battle

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season 2019 NFL Draft Did we improve special teams?

Link Copied to Clipboard