Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
9 dead, 16 injured in a shooting in Dayton, Ohio

By Madeline Holcombe and Melissa Alonso, CNN
link

Updated 4:50 AM ET, Sun August 4, 2019

(CNN)Nine people are dead after shooting incident in Dayton, Ohio, according to police. Dayton Police say the suspect also is dead. Sixteen additional people were injured in the incident.

The incident -- the second mass shooting in less than a day-- took place around 1 a.m. outside on East 5th Street in the Oregon district, a popular downtown area, Dayton Deputy Director and Assistant Chief of the Police Lt. Col. Matt Carper told reporters early Sunday morning.

The suspect, who was shot and killed by responding officers, has not yet been identified, but Carper said the subject fired a long gun with multiple rounds.

No officers were injured in the confrontation, Carper said.

FOLLOW LIVE UPDATES

Police believe the suspect acted alone and that there is no remaining threat to the community, but the investigation is ongoing, Carper said. The FBI is assisting with the investigation, Carper said. The motive for the shooting was not immediately clear.

Though many people were killed or injured, Carper said that the incident was over quickly, because officers were already patrolling in the vicinity when the gunshots started.

"As bad as this is, it could have been much, much worse, as I think everyone will become aware of here as more information unfolds," Carper said.

Miami Valley Hospital communications department Terrea Little said the hospital received 16 victims from the Dayton shooting. She would not characterize the injuries.

Elizabeth Long, spokeswoman at Kettering Health Network, which operates several Dayton area hospitals including Kettering Medical Center and Grandview Medical Center tells CNN that they are treating multiple victims in the ER from the shooting. She was not able to give specific numbers or specific hospital name of where patients are being treated.

Dayton Police previously said via Twitter that were "investigating an active shooter incident" in the city's Oregon District and asked residents to avoid the area.

Dayton police are asking that anyone who witnessed the incident or has any information that would help in the investigation call 937-225-6217.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
WTH is wrong with people? El Paso sounds like it might be an immigrant hate crime/terrorism. What was last night in Dayton about being one night after Trump was there? smh

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They are saying that the shooter was wearing some kind of mask and had on body armor. They are also saying that police responded within 1 minute and took out the gunman and that if police had not responded so quick the death/injured toll could have been well over 100. This is according to Channels 2 and 7 in Dayton who have been reporting on this since it happened.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Update:

Now they are saying 26 people were injured.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: dawg66
They are saying that the shooter was wearing some kind of mask and had on body armor. They are also saying that police responded within 1 minute and took out the gunman and that if police had not responded so quick the death/injured toll could have been well over 100. This is according to Channels 2 and 7 in Dayton who have been reporting on this since it happened.

White guy in body armor with a .223 long gun with high capacity mags

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I want to know if these two killers were linked in anyway. Maybe they use the same underground dark websites to motivate themselves to carryout attacks?

We live in a world where danger is all around us and terrorism is deeply rooted right on our doorstep, within the USA. It doesn't take much to push some nut over the edge to act out in the name of their hatred.

Legend
Legend
RIP the victims. Cops in the area and still managed to do massive damage. Smh.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Rip ...is all we have. Nothing can be done to help solve and stop these mass killings according to the gop sheep. End of story.

Not sure why all the mass killing and opium addiction threads are posted in the political forum here. Are these forums being moderated anymore?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Mass shootings is the price we pay so that rural losers can shoot at cans in their backyards and call it a militia.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is in the area where I'm from. The Oregon District is very close to the University of Dayton campus and a very popular night spot area of the city.

A band I was in actually played at a club there. A blues club called The Night Owl. So this hits very close to home for me. So far, to the best I can find out at this time, none of my family or friends were injured or killed in the mass shooting but I'm still not sure.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I hope your family and friends are ok...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
Mass shootings is the price we pay so that rural losers can shoot at cans in their backyards and call it a militia.

No, mass shootings are the price we pay for a society that in many ways is morally bankrupt. Festering hate, systems that breed divisions, technology "advancing" with little regard for side effects, a financial system/outlook that turns greed into a pseudo-virtue, a culture that can see death as entertainment (illustrated by numerous crime investigation series, horror movies, etc), etc. We're so inculcated in violence it's a wonder horrific events aren't more common.

Unless all the world's governments disarm, I can't see defenseless populaces as a good idea. It'd be great if guns, weapons of mass destruction, etc had never been invented and/or adopted. Unfortunately, that Pandora's box has already been opened. It seems apparent that individuals without scruples are often those that rise to power. Making it trivial (as far as asymmetric power) for them to crush dissent seems unwise.

More than a gun problem we have mental health and lack of morality problems.

If we're going to address the gun "problem" we need to address the problems that lead people to think they need them. Unfortunately, we can't just magically make every single one disappear.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 08/04/19 11:57 AM. Reason: I need to stop trying to write long posts on a phone

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
i dont disagree with you, but im also not wrong. i simply brought up one aspect of MANY that contributes to this problem.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Oregon District shooting: Identity of shooting suspect released

link

BELLBROOK —
The identity of the suspect in the Oregon District shooting has been released.

The shooting suspect has been identified as Connor Betts, 24, of Bellbrook, government sources confirmed.Several Bellbrook police cruisers are at an address on Creekview Place as part of an investigation into the shooting at the Oregon District that left nine people dead and numerous other injured.

Multiple investigators have been at the home in the 2200 block of Creekview since around 6 a.m. this morning.

Bellbrook Police Chief Doug Doherty said Betts lives on the street.The home belongs to Stephen R. Betts, according to online property records.

Doherty said the house and several vehicles on the property have been searched as part of the investigation.Betts didn’t have a violent criminal background, according to a background check purchased by the Dayton Daily News and News Center 7.Kettering Municipal Court records say Betts had two speeding tickets issued by Centerville police in 2013 and 2014.The background check turned up no concealed weapons permits.Around 10:40 a.m., Betts’ Facebook profile was no longer accessible.

Legend
Legend
everyone is a law abiding citizen, until all of a sudden, they aren't.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's a rather affluent suburb south of Dayton.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's a rather affluent suburb south of Dayton.

Somebody on another site said the El Paso shooter live in a 750k house outside Dallas

P
Legend
Legend
P
I find it odd that the picture most people paint in their minds of these type of people is some poverty stricken southern Republican from a trailer park who flies the rebel flag on their flag poll. You know, the usual suspect, stereotypical redneck.

When in fact, they're coming from an entirely different type of background. It's a sad state of our society.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One of those killed was the shooter's sister.

The identities of those killed in the Oregon District shooting have been released by Dayton Police.

Five men and four women were killed in the mass shooting Sunday morning, police said.

Lois Olglesby, 27

Megan Betts, 22

Said Saleh, 38

Derrick Fudge, 57

Logan Turner, 30

Nicholas Cummer, 25

Thomas McNichols, 25

Beatrice Warren Curtis, 36

Monica Brickhouse, 39.

RIP

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
everyone is a law abiding citizen, until all of a sudden, they aren't.

That almost sounds profound. Shame that it's not.

I have owned a gun for most of my life, and I've never shot a living thing with it. As for an earlier post stating that we have mass shootings so those in rural areas can shoot cans, what a load that is. I have a gun because if I ever have to defend myself or family, I can. My hope is to will those guns to my more responsible children having never used them to shoot anything other than paper targets at the range.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
I have owned a gun for most of my life, and I've never shot a living thing with it.

That's wonderful.... for you and us. I fall into that same category. But that doesn't change the fact that nobody is a criminal until the day they become one. Nobody said that, "One day everyone who owns a gun will commit gun violence". Nobody said that.

But I'll refer back to something Clem eluded to....

We have 300,000,000 million people in the United States and 300,000,000 guns.

These mass shooting are something that is simply a price we pay for that.

There have been more mass shootings than days in 2019

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/2019-mass-s...days-this-year/

So if we plan to do nothing to help stop it, we need to realize we have chosen to pay this price for it. I hope everyone thinks it's worth it.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: mac
I want to know if these two killers were linked in anyway. Maybe they use the same underground dark websites to motivate themselves to carryout attacks?

We live in a world where danger is all around us and terrorism is deeply rooted right on our doorstep, within the USA. It doesn't take much to push some nut over the edge to act out in the name of their hatred.

Not saying that there are not places on the dark web for white supremacists, but most of these guys aren't bright enough to get there. That would require serious leadership with the resources to set it up and keep it secret while teaching the all but illiterate how to get on the site... without being found by law enforcement.

These guys are just invading forums. They spread their hate messages until somebody shines a light on them.

J
Legend
Legend
J
I just had lunch there last week. It’s heartbreaking, I’m just sick about the whole thing. I’ve spent a good bit of time in El Paso over the last 10 years and spent a lot of the last 5 years on the central coast of California, Gilroy is not far from there. I know a number of people who live in those places. And now it hits my hometown, where I live, where I grew up.

I’m at a loss. There are so many deep, difficult issues going on in this country. People who pick and choose and act like there is an easy answer to any of this piss me off. Shouting at each other and blaming each other is part of what got us here.

I’m sad, mad, and feeling hopeless that things are ever going to change, or that enough people are willing to look at the really hard issues that need addressed.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
BELLBROOK — The identity of the suspect in the Oregon District shooting has been released.

The shooting suspect has been identified as Connor Betts, 24, of Bellbrook, government sources confirmed.

Chris Baker, who just resigned this summer after 14 years as Bellbrook High School principal, was asked about Betts’ time as a Bellbrook student.

Asked about reports that, while a Bellbrook student, Betts was suspended for causing a lockdown by writing a “hit-list” on a bathroom wall, Baker said, “I would not dispute that information, but I don’t want to get involved any more than just making that comment.”

A woman who went to high school with Betts recalled the hit-list.

“I know he made the list,” she said. “I’m not sure who the names were on there...He had a plan to shoot up the school.”

When she first heard about the shooting, she said Betts’ name came to her mind.

“I guessed it might’ve been him just from that list,” she said.

She added that Betts was bullied at the high school and that he seemed “pretty normal” after he “got some help from making list.”

Demoy Howell was a year behind Connor Betts at Bellbrook High School, where they were in Junior ROTC together.

“He was always a little bit of an oddball,” said Howell, who graduated in 2014. “He had a dark sense of humor - jokes about people dying. He would wear all black. I remember sensing a dark energy around him.”

He never had a problem with Betts, but remembers friends saying he made them feel threatened or uncomfortable. The rigor of the military program seemed to have a calming influence, as Betts didn’t seem to have many friends, he added.

“Even though we all knew he was kind of weird, I felt like the colonels kind of kept him together,” Howell said. “There was a lockdown one year and it was because he wrote something in the bathroom. Then he kind of fell off the face of the earth. I don’t remember him walking (at graduation).”

Later, Howell said, the two worked together at a fast-food restaurant.

“Generally there was no issue,” he said. “He kind of kept it together.”

Betts also worked at a gas station where Howell would sometimes stop in to grab a drink.

“He was normal there, too,” he said. “He kept on a professional face.”

He and his friends frequent the Oregon District where, authorities say, Betts opened fire overnight and left nine dead. Police officers in the area fatally shot Betts within a minute. After getting off work on Saturday night, Howell had decided against heading to Oregon. Hours later, he heard the news.

“I think this is less of a hate crime and more of an ‘I hate everybody’ crime,” Howell said. “I honestly feel more comfortable now knowing that he’s gone.”

Elizabeth Betz, a longtime Bellbrook school board member, said she only had passing memory of Betts, from an elementary school event, and from graduation, simply because their last names are pronounced the same. She said she was unaware of any incidents with Betts while he was in Bellbrook schools.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Gotcha, Rural losers, cause there is never any shootings in the inner city. They don't shoot cans just each other.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Ironic, isn't it.

Only thing he forgot to add was, "white", "Christian", and "conservative."

Those are the bad people that need to be gone after.

Legend
Legend
Lol I love all the saltiness.

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
What annoys me the most is that even intelligent people blame guns for these crimes. I have guns. I never felt compelled to shoot anyone. I think a ton of people have guns and have never felt the need to shoot anyone.

It's a freaking cop-out.

The problem is much deeper than "guns." But, you geniuses keep your heads buried in the sand and blame guns.

We are a nation that preaches hate. Look at this board. This side sucks. That side sucks. Moderates suck. We turn our backs on mental illness. We cater to those who cause problems in schools. We nurture the issues that troubled youths have. We promote violence in our video games, movies, and even TV. We isolate children. We bully one another on social media. We are obsessed w/painting the other side as the sole culprit in the country's problems. We demand that our rights are honored while we ignore the rights of others.

And yet, the geniuses want to blame guns.

This problem is not going away until folks wake the hell up and realize it starts on how we concentrate on our youths.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Ironic, isn't it.

Only thing he forgot to add was, "white", "Christian", and "conservative."

Those are the bad people that need to be gone after.

He can't list "conservative", because of voting records.

Details

Name on File:
CONNOR S BETTS

View Sample Ballots

Check the status of absentee ballot

Print Absentee Request

Residence Address on File:
(If your address is not correct, please update your address information)
2250 CREEKVIEW PL
BELLBROOK 45305
Mailing Address on File:
Same as Residence Address
Year of Birth:
Phone Number:
Party:
DEM
Voting History (up to county's last 20 elections):
Voted:X - 05/07/19 Special
Voted:X - 11/06/18 General
Voted:D - 05/08/18 Primary
Voted:X - 11/07/17 General
Voted:X - 11/08/16 General
Voted:D - 03/15/16 Primary
Voted:X - 11/06/12 General
Precinct:
103/1 - BELLBROOK
Polling Place:
BELLBROOK UM CHURCH
47 E. FRANKLIN ST
BELLBROOK, OH 45305

Directions to Polling Place
Your Voting Districts:
U.S. CONGRESS - 10TH CONG DIST
STATE SENATE - 1OTH SEN DIST
STATE HOUSE - 73TH HS OF REP
CITIES - BELLBROOK
CO BD OF EDUC - GREENE COUNTY B E
SCHOOL DISTS. - SUGARCREEK LSD
VOC. SCHOOLS - GREENE CTY CAREER CR
MUNI COURT DIST - XE MUN COURT
COURT OF APPEAL - 2ND COURT OF APPEALS
SATE BD OF ED - 10TH STATE BD OF ED

https://greene.ohioboe.com/apps/vtrpolldetails.aspx?idnum=212004

Legend
Legend
So, he's had a hit-list for eight years and votes democrat.

Yep, pretty easy, Trumps fault.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: FATE
So, he's had a hit-list for eight years and votes democrat.

Yep, pretty easy, Trumps fault.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was reading an article about the shooter and I saw that his sister was one of the people who was shot and killed. He apparently lived w/his sister.

This is the part I want to concentrate on and it's a point that I've been trying to make for quite some time. The shooter had a "Hit List" of people he wanted to kill while he was in school. He also had a "Rape List" of girls he wanted to rape. He was suspended from school, but he was allowed back in. Witnesses said he had a long history of violent beliefs.

We need to change how we deal w/these types of people. Identify them early and get them the hell out. Get them the help they need, but remove them from our schools and stop nurturing their violent behavior by coddling to their warped behavior. I get this sounds cruel, but the kids and teachers know which kids are capable of such actions. It is my opinion that our current policies put in place by school psychologists, administrators, and politicians is helping to nurture future killers.

It's time to completely rethink how we identify and treat these troubled souls. I'm good w/getting them help, but I'm more concerned w/keeping innocent kids and adults safe.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Trump says 'Fake News has contributed greatly to the anger and rage' after shootings

https://thehill.com/homenews/administrat...-anger-and-rage

smh, this guy never stops.

Legend
Legend
This is just getting stupid...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Yay, more mental health excuses. The same clown will never give black Americans in Chicago that excuse, either. Never have, never will.

But of course poor little Connor? Awww, just a misunderstood kid. He came from a nice family after all, and just needed an outlet.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
You know I love you bro, but dropping common white names and denigrating an entire race over a few bad apples is just acting like a bigot too. I get it's because you can see the injustice in the coverage and the injustice of the labeling; but this isn't helping anyone.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think as a country, even the most ardent pro gun people have to admit, this is a problem that needs a solution.

Legend
Legend
Funny cause the shooters name is Connor, like the name in my post.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
You name dropped in the other post, and you know it. Don't be petty with me for pointing out common sense crap.

Legend
Legend
oh i absolutely did. i simply pointed out that the guys name is connor.

and i also dont have a problem with it. people like mentioning daquan and tyrone's on FB all the time, and i dont trip about it.

cause its funny. so i understand that you disagree.

i also wont change either. so there's that.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus 9 dead, 16 injured in a shooting in Dayton, Ohio

Link Copied to Clipboard