Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888
If it was a parenting problem ... or an ADD problem ... or an internet problem ... or a movie problem ... or a video game problem ... or a drug problem ... or a whatever else you want to deflect this to ..... then every other country in the world that has all those things would also be suffering from the same outbreak of mass shootings and gun violence.

Guess what - Gun violence in the USA outstrips the rest of the 1st world nations by a country mile. . . . so, I wonder what else is unique to the USA that could create all the gun violence? Hmmmm ? Or do you not want to face facts?

LOl.....so you are saying guns is the problem.

You are ignoring the problem. The problem is the people.

Here's the deal, you aren't taking away any of my rights. I follow the law, until the law according to people like you change it, then, well, I guess it's on.

I am not saying that in a threatening way. Just a matter of fact way.

The problem is these people are outsiders. They don't get friended on social media, they don't go on dates.

They are lunatic in their views.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
America doesnt lead the world in mass shootings.
Choke on your tears, liberals.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/30/america-doesnt-actually-lead-the-world-in-mass-shootings/

No Craps Given
A
Legend
Legend
A
Well, that certainly puts a wrench in the left's gears.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted By: DIEHARD

Those basic problems exist all over the world but there are hardly any mass random shootings like these (on this scale and frequency) outside of the US. I mean, Japan has lots of violent video games and where are the mass shootings there? I'm pretty sure there are mental health issues all over the world and plenty of hate to go around...where are the mass shootings? I mean, if those are REALLY the root of the problems, there would be mass shooting in every country, every day.

I'll agree that the gun itself is NOT the problem. The first problem is our complete unfettered access to them. The second problem is the TYPE of guns we allow to be sold.

Both of these issues could be eventually fixed in a sensible manner without taking away your right to protect yourself and your family.

Is the access the problem or is it more our willingness to use them? Plenty of people have access and don't use them.

I was doing some thinking on the topic of gun violence and culture and your mention of Japan led me to think about how different countries have different "National cultures" and Hofstede's 6 dimensions.

The United States ranks very high on Individualism and very low on Long-term Orientation. I was kind of trying to find similar countries. Japan has a much lower Individualism score and a much higher long-term orientation. I'm having a bit of trouble finding another country with a profile similar to ours. South Africa is probably the most similar I've come across and has similar violence problems.

Thinking about those two ideas of high Individualism and low Long-term Orientation it kind of makes sense that we see more atrocities take place. We're a people that largely thinks about themselves and doesn't worry so much about the consequences. When you somewhat start at those extremes, the extremists within those countries would only be moreso.

Here's a link that includes a graph comparing those dimensions for a few different national cultures:
Link

You can swap out the countries.

Just kind of taking the idea and thinking out loud. Feel free to comment/criticize.

I think that's certainly another variable and worth considering. Good post.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
M
Legend
Legend
M
You know, they have outsiders in other 1st world countries too. More deflection.

Eve I haven't checked your link because I'm on my phones. I will check it out and I'm sure that statistically somebody has come up with a way to say another country in the world has more mass shootings, I'd be very surprised if that is a first world nation, but I will check. Whether it's just gun violence, all mass shootings I'm fairly sure that America will be right at the top of the table either way. and I'm not saying to take anyone's guns away, I'm just trying to highlight that all this talk about other root causes is BS. The reason the USA leads the way in gun violence and will be near the top in mass shootings is because of our gun culture. Everything else is window dressing. Has claimed wrote the other day, perhaps these deaths are just an inevitable part of our right to bear arms. But please don't blame video games, outsiders, internet, or any of these other BS deflections that the rest of the world has, without our gun violence.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
* As Clem wrote the other day .... Voice to text went wonky on me.

A
Legend
Legend
A
It's probably like school shootings.

I remember someone posting about how many school shootings there were in the u.s. Posted a nice graphic showing all of them.

And when I clicked on each shooting, it was amazing what got included in 'school shootings". Like, drug deal gone bad in a school parking lot at 2 a.m. Or, 'school employee goes to work in the morning, and sees a window shot out."

But, those, and hundreds others like those, get reported as "school shootings".

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

LOl.....so you are saying guns is the problem.

You are ignoring the problem. The problem is the people.

Here's the deal, you aren't taking away any of my rights. I follow the law, until the law according to people like you change it, then, well, I guess it's on.

I am not saying that in a threatening way. Just a matter of fact way.

The problem is these people are outsiders. They don't get friended on social media, they don't go on dates.

They are lunatic in their views.

Peen, there are people like that all over the world. That isn't unique to the US. The PROBLEM is that we let these people have access to mass killing machines without a blink of an eye.

For all of the responsible gun owners out there, great. I commend you. But you can't make the false equivalency that just because you are a responsible owner, everyone else will be too. Yes, a few can ruin it for the many. And unfortunately, that's what needs to happen here.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I love when people say it isn't a "blank" problem or a "bleep" problem, or a "this" problem, or a "that" problem and then say stupid stuff like it's a gun problem.

There are multiple factors. It isn't any one freaking thing. Sometimes, the ignorance of these discussions completely blows my mind. All of these stupid political agendas outweigh analyzing the problems deeply and working to reduce them.

We will never "solve" the problem of violent acts/mass murders/hate crimes, etc..........but we should be trying to help reduce those crimes by using intelligence and strategies rather than playing some stupid political game!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR............y'all drive me nuts w/this nonsense!

A
Legend
Legend
A
So, the repeat speeder would be reason for me not to drive?

The repeat drunk driver would be reason for me not to have a license?

The guy or gal that beats their kid/s is a reason for me not to have kids?

How about the jackwad a few houses down that blows his grass onto the road when mowing. It's illegal. Should I have my mower taken away?

I mean, if your going to ruin it for the law abiders as far as guns, you may as well ruin it for everyone else as far as cars, mowing......whatever.

We just need another law, right? Because murder being illegal hasn't taken root yet. Punish everyone.

Legend
Legend
Forget about guns, America has had guns since the beginning with few problems.

It's today that is the problem, something has gone wrong in our society.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Guns were never a problem?

Were gun fights in the Wild, Wild, West not a problem? Were shootings in bars and restaurants by mob members not a problem? Were accidental shootings of children not a problem? I could go on and on and on.

I am not defending guns to those of you who are on the opposite side of guys like 40.

What I am saying is that blaming gun laws is the rhetoric of the weak-minded or agenda driven politicians.

This problem is very complex. There are so many facets to it. Saying things like you "video games are not the problem" is technically correct, but it's ignorant to ignore that they teach young children to devalue life and sometimes become absorbed in a world of fantasy. To say that our President preaching hate is the only problem is foolhardy, but to say that message isn't a part of the problem is even worse. To say that how we patronize our troubled youths in our schools is the only problem is short-sighted, but to say it isn't a huge issue is a travesty. I could go on and on w/examples.

There is no easy answer here, folks. This is a complex problem that is going to take a lot of time, effort, self-examination, and some damn hard choices if we want to try and decrease the numbers of these horrific acts of violence and hate.

I don't think America is up for it. And while America wants to place the blame on this one thing or that one thing and is too freaking pussified to make some really tough decisions, more and more innocent folks will be needlessly murdered.

M
Legend
Legend
M
J/c

I think denying that the gun is some part of the issue when discussing gun violence and mass shootings is an act of denial. Certainly it's not the only part of the issue. Surely it's complicated and it isn't solved by simply "taking away people's rights to own a gun" .....

But how often have i had a conversation with people who, rightly, point out that a determined individual could kill dozens in a car or by using explosives, or cause many injuries with a knife ???? All true ... But what is the reality? What is the actual method these mass shooters actually use? What did the guy in Vegas use killing over 50? In TX, 22? In Ohio, in under a minute??? Not talking about the means these folks use over and over again is to ignore a serious part of the issue.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Guns were never a problem?

Were gun fights in the Wild, Wild, West not a problem? Were shootings in bars and restaurants by mob members not a problem? Were accidental shootings of children not a problem? I could go on and on and on.

Yea, you have a point there.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not j/c:

Guns are certainly a part of the problem. Not guns specifically, but perhaps how easy it is to get one and maybe even the gun laws.

I am not sure about this and I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the dude in Ohio have a Carry Permit? My question is how the hell could that be if he already was on record for having a "Hit List?" Now, I might be mistaken and if I am, someone please gently correct me.

I am all for having stricter gun laws. I can't make it any more clear than that.

I will say that I am not stupid enough to think that stricter gun laws will eliminate gun violence. People will just get them illegally. We can't even think to believe we can possibly confiscate all the guns. So, where does that leave us? Bad guys w/guns. Good guys w/no guns. Ehhhhh........no thank you.

Once again, I think we need stricter gun laws. But, this issue has so many compartments that it's tough to unveil them all. I really think it starts w/how we are dealing w/our problem children in our schools. We are nurturing poor behavior. We are alienating them from the general population because acting improperly over a period of time actually grants you more rights. Of course, the general population of students and teachers are going to be offended by that. It's amazing to me that more people can't see that.

Here...........an example.

A student picks his nose and smears it on a girl's arm in a Small Learning Group. The girl squeal and says something like "What is wrong w/you? Keep your hands off of me, you pig." The student throws himself to the floor and begins banging his head on the floor and screams that he is being bullied. His mother comes into school and blames the teacher and the other students for bullying her son. Meanwhile, this same mother says things in a parent/teacher conference [w/her son in attendance] that it's no wonder he is screwed up w/a low-life father like the one he had. [She divorced him a couple of years ago.]

Then, the school psychologists [who were already involved] make new determinations that no one in the class [students and the teacher] are allowed to react when the designated student touches them, hits them, insults them or when he acts out in any manner. We are to act as if this is normal behavior. This student is then given a role on the Student Leadership Team to help his self-esteem.

Now, you tell me if that is a sound strategy or not?

We nurture them.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think we are coming from a very similar place on this ... I think there is a wealth of issues in society that can breed or foster the issues that lead up to these atrocities. And I am not advocating taking guns away - I don't have a solution to offer other than what would seem to any normal human obvious, make it harder for those unfit to legally own a gun to obtain one. BUT - just like criminals and felons shouldn't legally own guns, their proliferation in society almost makes that a somewhat ineffective action. If someone really wants to get a gun - multiple guns - they will.

As you stated, I don't believe the USA has the will or fortitude to actually try to make a difference. I think many will refuse to even debate the issue out of fear for any compromise leading to infringement on what they feel is their indelible right to own guns.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I think we are coming from a very similar place on this ..

Yeah, it sucks! It's such a complex problem. It's not going to get fixed.

And I apologize for getting angry earlier, but the quick fix answers drive me nuts.

I have never taught a mass murderer. Thank God. However, some of the students that I have talked about on here have went on to do awful things, including rape, sexual abuse, and yes, even murder.

I'm telling you guys.......the student population and the teachers know who these kids are. They are scary. They are really scary in their teens, but man, I taught 5th freaking grade for the last 9 years of my career and even some of those kids are downright scary.

I apologize for getting angry earlier. It's just frustrating that we can't find an answer.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
This is a complex problem that is going to take a lot of time, effort, self-examination, and some damn hard choices if we want to try and decrease the numbers of these horrific acts of violence and hate.

Then there is my line of thought that this phenomenon of daily mass shootings isn't a problem at all. It's the natural consequence of having at least one gun for every man, woman, child and infant in circulation here in America.

I'm really starting to think that we should all just shut up about this facet of modern life and chalk it up as the cost of doing business.

No changes in gun laws.
No background checks.
No mental health screenings.
No 'red flag' provisions.
No limits on mag capacities, or mods like bump stocks.

Just an adult acceptance of a direct causal relationship between the number of lethal tools and wet holes in humans. Freedom isn't free, and all rights come at a price.

Death is the price of 2A.

I'm OK with that price. So too should you all be.

whatevz.
[shrugs]

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
Legend
V
Clem, I like you and respect you. But, I think you are so far off base on this issue that I can't even begin to describe it.

I won't go on because I respect you. but.......that's all.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888
... I don't believe the USA has the will or fortitude to actually try to make a difference.

No, it's the GOP. You know, the wholly-owned subsidiary of the NRA...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E

No Craps Given
T
Legend
Legend
T
like pulling teeth to get the computer to do Anything right now!

6 Police officers engaged and shot this person almost immediately and I think it's not an unrealistic estimate to say they saved about 13 lives and up to 20 more injuries.

This should not be forgotten.

T
Legend
Legend
T
You know Vers, sometimes when put on shutdown and get a weekday network daytime television, sometimes I inevitably watch that show "the view"

I hate that show 'the view" and the main one the most, but Even that Red Head, aging weirdo, (Name I forget),Hey, Joy Behar- I remembered,

Who I could call a thousand names, with that scratchy fingernails on the chalkboard voice, even said one line on this subject years ago and it's stuck in my mind..
because ya'know she's got that terrible voice that's like an alarm clock.

She said, I think you have a right to drive down the street but there's a difference between driving a regular car and Driving a Formula one Race car in a residential area.

T
Legend
Legend
T
If ya didn't feel bad enough already, One of the network nightly news sources brought us a first person experience of someone hiding under what appeared to be close to mall furniture,

but the audio was up front, so everybody in America could get a ...( I can't)

You know, really feel like a part of the experience.

Now, What a classless classless classless classless thing to do you expletative expletative ditto dittos'.

What about my friend who's relative got killed just a few some weeks ago, how do I think they think if they have to watch this,

If I were in this situation and ended up gone, I wouldn't want my family to have to listen to the audio just because some person had a cell phone and some producer or director wanted an exclusive.

^ The definition of Sick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So the most disturbing thing that I read about the Dayton shooting is that the person used a 100 round magazine and got off 41 shots in 30 seconds before he was killed.

A 100 round magazine is not something that any person should be allowed to have. Simply stated it is a military item.

10 rounds is enough. Period.

Magazines should also require two actions to change. That requires the users to remove his hands from the weapon to change.

Time is always the nemesis of a mass shooter. It was the same for Las Vegas.

Slow down the ability to fire, and you give others a chance. It it not a perfect solution, but it is a start.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
You know what’s so funny about this post?

If there wasn’t any video, you MAGA hatters would be using this in your latest rounds of ‘false flag’ and crisis actors rhetoric that y’all love so much, claiming it never actually happened

Straight filth.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Swish,
I see you are still battling smile

T
Legend
Legend
T
I'm Ok with your right to hold that view.

Legend
Legend
Always

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
jc

I dont really feel this is a gun problem. (Sorry liberals, suck a thumb)

I think its a culture problem.

Because to the young people who feel like outcasts in society, they look up to mass shooters like Columbine. Or to other mass shooters for whatever cause that resonates with them.

Its entirely glamorized in a really bad way. By the media. On the internet. And probably in those circles.

So, when their life is bleak they give up and try to take everybody out.

Its a society and cultural problem.

I dont really feel there is a solution.

Its not any different than the suicide bombers in the middle east mass killing lots of people for an idealogy, or political complaint. Its part of their culture.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Please explain the necessity of a 100 round magazine, Eve.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

Please debate anything in my post, thanks.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Its not any different than the suicide bombers in the middle east mass killing lots of people for an idealogy, or political complaint. Its part of their culture.

The difference is the skill required of the individual committing the mass kill and the ease in comparison to the other methods mentioned. Guns are simply more efficient, more obtainable in the US and the preferred method.

And mass killings are part of our culture as well.

Last edited by ChargerDawg; 08/05/19 11:42 PM. Reason: additional comment.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Chicken...

E
Legend
Legend
E

The difference is the skill required of the individual committing the mass kill and the ease in comparison to the other methods mentioned. Guns are simply more efficient, more obtainable in the US and the preferred method.

Not really. Look at the boston bombers, easy instructions for creating a pressure cooker bomb are available online.

Mass murdering people is easy. You dont even need a gun. Just drive through a crowd.

You're putting liberal agenda over actual discussion. This isnt about guns.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E

Chicken...

I didnt want to point out that your head is cut off, but you brought it up, so....

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Not really. Look at the boston bombers, easy instructions for creating a pressure cooker bomb are available online.

Mass murdering people is easy. You dont even need a gun. Just drive through a crowd.

And technically not the best method, scary yes, efficient, no unless your purpose is to terrorize people.

And don't call me a liberal. Far from it.

E
Legend
Legend
E

And technically not the best method, scary yes, efficient, no unless your purpose is to terrorize people.

And don't call me a liberal. Far from it.

Go ask the Europeans how they feel about death by vehicle mass murderers.

You're still missing the point. There is a vacuum over your head where the point went wooshing by.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
whataboutism at its finest.

E
Legend
Legend
E
jc

I dont really feel this is a gun problem. (Sorry liberals, suck a thumb)

I think its a culture problem.

Because to the young people who feel like outcasts in society, they look up to mass shooters like Columbine. Or to other mass shooters for whatever cause that resonates with them.

Its entirely glamorized in a really bad way. By the media. On the internet. And probably in those circles.

So, when their life is bleak they give up and try to take everybody out.

Its a society and cultural problem.

I dont really feel there is a solution.

Charger, honey, unless you can have an intelligent convo about any of this post, I dont have anything to say to you. You are wasting my time.

No Craps Given
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus 9 dead, 16 injured in a shooting in Dayton, Ohio

Link Copied to Clipboard