Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Nelson37
Shoulder injury in college.

Dude would be a starter now if he could stay just a little bit healthy. He can't.

You can't help the club, if you're in the tub.

That shoulder has never been an issue in the NFL.

However, I think Sam's best chance to get back in the game is when some team suffers disastrous injuries to their whole QB room...if he's even staying in shape, which I have no idea.

D
Legend
Legend
D
U have to compare Sam to Stanton ... not Stanton vs bake ...

Sam is way better than Stanton .. not even close ...

VERS i agree his injury history is a thing ... its destroyed his career ... pretty sure he’s never finished a season ... its one thing to get hurt a few games every year but im pretty sure he’s never even finished one season .. i could be wrong ..

Thats a small piece of why he’d be a great back up for us IMO ... he’d be a gre3at 2 - 4 game fill in .. if Bake goes down for the year the back up really don’t matter ...

Other than Cullpepper not sure if there’d be a better back up in the league when taking everything into consideration ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm pretty sure that the powers that be claimed they liked the QB room Sashi assmembled too. What are they going to say? "These guys suck!"?

That is why I included this part.."If they were just saying that and didn't do anything to maybe help the situation, maybe they aren't as crackerjack as many think."

Detail count.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
U have to compare Sam to Stanton ... not Stanton vs bake ...

Sam is way better than Stanton .. not even close ...

VERS i agree his injury history is a thing ... its destroyed his career ... pretty sure he’s never finished a season ... its one thing to get hurt a few games every year but im pretty sure he’s never even finished one season .. i could be wrong ..

Thats a small piece of why he’d be a great back up for us IMO ... he’d be a gre3at 2 - 4 game fill in .. if Bake goes down for the year the back up really don’t matter ...

Other than Cullpepper not sure if there’d be a better back up in the league when taking everything into consideration ...

I agree he is better as a starter. Maybe not as a back-up.

OK, he probably would be. I guess Dorsey is missing the boat.

As I said at some point earlier, Bradford is still in starting QB mode and it looks like the league doesn't think so. The league is changing. Teams more and more want a QB who can move the pocket with rollouts, RPO's and extend plays. I don't think Bradford fits that mold.

I have already said I think he would look good on the bench, but it looks like the reality hasn't hit Bradford at this point.

Who knows, maybe we have already reached out and told his agent to give us a call if $4 mil a year starts to look good.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 07/09/19 12:55 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'm pretty sure that the powers that be claimed they liked the QB room Sashi assmembled too. What are they going to say? "These guys suck!"?

LOL Freddie might if he thought that.... rofl

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually, from both a business standpoint and a team standpoint, nobody would say that. As a HC you support your players and from a business standpoint you never tell your fan base that the players on your roster aren't worthy.

That's why so many Browns fans have had unrealistic expectations for so long.

We have the talent now. But as you can see, some fans are snake bit from being sold a bill of goods for so long.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Actually, from both a business standpoint and a team standpoint, nobody would say that. As a HC you support your players and from a business standpoint you never tell your fan base that the players on your roster aren't worthy.

We have the talent now. But as you can see, some fans are snake bit from being sold a bill of goods for so long.

Yeah, I know that,, thus the LOL and rofl

It's absurd to REALLY think any coach would any position group sucks.....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I'd be all over a Bradford signing if he is ready to be a backup. However, I think - as others have said - that he's waiting for a big name QB to get dinged so he can get more BIG $$$. Which is kind of crazy. I thought he was done being in the big money game before AZ signed him...so what do I know? As long as the AZ mistake is as fresh as it is, I bet Bradford's camp thinks he'll get another big $$$ opportunity.

My other fear is in how long he might last if he DID have to play an extended period of time.

I think it's moot in any event...I don't think he signs until he gets another giant payday...and that won't happen until a "Name" goes down. JMO

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Bradford's injury history is a real thing. It's why he isn't starting for an NFL team right now. I'm not debating the guys who keep bringing it up, but we would not bring him as the starter. He would be the back-up.

My ideal situation is that he would be a highly-paid backup who is on a 1-year deal. This team has enough talent to win w/Bradford should Baker get injured. It would be a shame to waste all this offensive talent because of inferior qb play.

I'm curious what you (and me) and other Bradford-supporters would then want as a 3rd QB. I think QB3 needs to be a vet who can step in and play...it can't really be a developmental guy after Baker & Bradford.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And that was kind of my point. We have Baker which has all the potential in the world. Behind him we don't really have a lot.

I mean let's really look at Stanton. On the surface his W/L totals don't look bad. 11W's and 6L's. But that's not even close to the story. He has only competed 52.4% of his passes. He has 24 TD passes compared to 24 Int's.

Not exactly a sparkling endorsement. But then again, how many NFL teams have a great back-up QB? Not many.

As of now I think the FO and coaching staff are happier with having a veteran back-up they think is a help to Baker. Not many fit that mold and I'm sure most fans would feel better having a more reliable back-up. But I think this FO is playing the long game more so than playing in the moment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
If Baker goes down .. entice McCown out of retirement

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
If Baker goes down .. entice Brett Favre out of retirement (fixed it)
He'd do it! he'd do it.

If Baker goes down .. entice Kurt Warner out of retirement,

this is fun
Colin Kaepernick

Aaron Rogers .. wait! he's still playing.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
If Baker goes down .. entice Brett Favre out of retirement (fixed it)
He'd do it! he'd do it.

If Baker goes down .. entice Kurt Warner out of retirement,

this is fun
Colin Kaepernick

Aaron Rogers .. wait! he's still playing.

rofl

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I am pretty sure they will move forward w/Stanton & Gilbert and get rid of Blough.

Legend
Legend
I would not be surprised if they go with only 2 QB.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Me either
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I would not be surprised if they go with only 2 QB.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Maybe.

The couple WRs we have that can throw in an absolute emergency within a game are pretty crucial receiving targets though. This is if Gilbert/Blough is deactivated for that particular game.

There's a chance we keep 3 active QBs on gameday if our #3 is also a holder (specifically if we go with Jamie as the punter, as he has little holding experience).

I just hope Gilbert or Blough looks good in preseason. Other teams might be looking to pick up a #3 as well.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Literally not one team uses anything other than a punter to hold for kicks.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yes.

So if we do end up going with Jamie (not likely), I hope he's a quick learner and reliable holder. Too many problems kicking last year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Literally not one team uses anything other than a punter to hold for kicks.

I'm guessing you actually researched it and it is true. However, I have a question or two.

Why?

Do punters have better hands than any other position?

Would you rather have your starting punter injured as opposed to a backup qb or receiver?

Do punters spin the ball and place it better than backup qbs?

Can a punter make a play if the snap is bad better than other guys who play other positions?

Is the NFL that much of a copycat league?

Or, is it simply due to punters having more time to practice holding for the kicker than other positions?

L
Legend
Legend
L
The answers to all those questions are the same:

Maybe. It depends.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I highly doubt the answers to all those questions are the same. LOL

L
Legend
Legend
L
"Highly doubt" isnt the same as "100 per cent sure."... haha

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Yeah, I know that,, thus the LOL and rofl

It's absurd to REALLY think any coach would any position group sucks.....

Thanks Damon I got Pit on ignore so I wouldn't have seen this if you didn't quote it, but I get to add in this part...

Unless you are Hue Jackson. Then you say you can't win because your players suck and it has nothing to do with the idiot play calling and time management issues that you have.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What little I've seen from Stanton has been a whole lot of suck so far this camp. Anyone think that we could keep 3 QB's with Stanton being the odd man out this year?

Legend
Legend
I think Stanton is here to implement/help with the system and is a good teacher and mentor.

I bet he stays and maybe we try to sneak Gilbert onto the ps

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I think Stanton is here to implement/help with the system and is a good teacher and mentor.

This system is so different than the one's he's played under though. Do we still need that player/coach?

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Looking forward to seeing Blough in 3 of the preseason games anyway. If he holds his own (and Gilbert looks better than Stanton), then maybe Blough goes to the PS with Gilbert as #2.

Stanton might be a more attractive name for a team in desperate need of a #2 due to injuries before regular season.

All things considered though, I still think Stanton will be our #2.

Legend
Legend
I’m not sure ... it probably depends on how they evaluate his importance to Baker. That’s something we don’t know haha
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

This system is so different than the one's he's played under though. Do we still need that player/coach?

Legend
Legend
Will the Browns keep three quarterbacks this season?

Head coach Freddie Kitchens appears to be leaning that way.

By Barry Shuck Aug 7, 2019, 7:32pm EDT

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2019/8/7/20759459/cleveland-browns-keep-three-quarterbacks-this-season

Most NFL teams only keep two quarterbacks on the roster each season. No head coach wants to see their starter go down, and then hope that they got it right as far as their backup.

But keep three signal callers on the final roster? That is just pure luxury.

Most clubs will attempt to stash a young guy on the practice squad as their emergency option. And quite a few future NFL starting quarterbacks got the opportunity to become bumped up to the active roster by running the scout team week-in and week-out on some practice squad.

Cleveland Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens told reporters on Tuesday that he is in favor of keeping three quarterbacks on this year’s active roster, according to clevelandbrowns.com:

“I am probably not the best person to ask that because I was in Arizona when we carried two quarterbacks, and we lost one and then we lost one in the game – the most nightmarish situation that you can have. Two weeks in a row, we signed a quarterback on Wednesday or Tuesday and played with him on Sunday. I do not want to be in that situation.”

Currently on the Browns roster there are a few position battles especially at defensive line, wide receiver and offensive line. How does Kitchens justify cutting a bubble player such as wide receiver Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi, tight end Stephen Carlson, defensive end Chad Thomas or defensive back Phillip Gaines, to keep a third quarterback who may never play a single down all season?

Quarterback Drew Stanton is a capable NFL backup. He knows the system utilized in Cleveland and although he is no Baker Mayfield, he would have just as many weapons as Mayfield will have each Sunday. This will mark Stanton’s 12th NFL season, so he is a seasoned veteran who has thrown for 4,059 yards with 20 touchdowns and 24 interceptions in 17 starts across his 12 seasons

Behind him are two young bucks: Garrett Gilbert and David Blough.

Gilbert’s claim to fame was as the starting quarterback for the Orlando Apollos of the now-defunct AAF. He led that league in almost every quarterback category and was mentioned in the league MVP conversation. Orlando had the best record and his coach was quarteback guru Steve Spurrier.

However, the AAF was a league built on players that were not currently playing in any league, or in any country. Around 80 percent of the AAF’s players had signed an NFL contract at some point, but many were subsequently waived and remain unsigned.

As to whether or not Garrett can claim a roster spot remains to be seen, Kitchens said, according to clevelandbrowns.com:

“We like Garrett. I like Garrett on what he has done up to this point. We have not even started playing preseason yet. I do not know about the final [roster]. I do not want to crown him just yet.”

Garrett has been associated with five NFL teams and spent time on four practice squads. He has played in one NFL game with zero starts, completing two-of-thee passes for 40 yards and was sacked once. With Orlando, he threw for 2,152 yards with 13 touchdowns, only three interceptions, and a 60.6 completion percentage. He was the number one ranked quarterback in the AAF.

Blough was signed as an undrafted free agent on May 3. At Purdue, he had 871 completions on 1,429 attempts for 9,734 yards with 69 touchdowns and 43 interceptions in 44 career games. His career passing percentage was 61.0.

Of course, if Kitchens does indeed decide to keep three quarterbacks, this does not mean that one - or even two - of the three are even on the roster right now. As soon as each NFL club cuts their rosters down from 90 players to the 53-man final roster, there will become a slew of able-bodied arms that may be better athletes than the players the Browns currently have in camp.

Of the 32 NFL rosters last year, 17 franchises carried three quarterbacks - including the Browns. The club already had Kevin Hogan and Cody Kessler on the roster, then traded for Tyrod Taylor, Stanton signed as a free agent on a two-year deal away from the Arizona Cardinals, and finally Mayfield was taken with the first overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. Hogan was subsequently traded to the Washington Redskins and Kessler was traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Of course this year there is another wild card in play with the re-invention of the XFL to begin play in February of 2020. It is likely that any quarterback that is cut and then misses being picked up off the waiver wire is assured of being offered a job in the new league. So if the time does come where the second or even third string guy is needed, they may already be gone and the pickings are very thin.

Unless Kitchens, a former quarterback, can activate himself.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
QBs:

Mayfield: Fantastic. Quick processing/accurate/commanding. What I’ve seen all camp.

Stanton: Inaccurate at times. Looked unsettled, below avg backup Q by backup Q standards.

Gilbert: LOVED his performance. On time, decisive, beat blitzes. He’s trending to No.2.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1159873933291732992

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Gilbert should be our backup and I wouldn't be surprised to see Blough beat out Stanton if Freddie keeps 3 QB's ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
If Fruddy keeps 3 (2:activated on gameday), then Blough probably goes to PS - I doubt he beats out Stanton in any circumstance.

If it goes this way (Gilbert#2), then we trade Stanton to a desperate team. Imo.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
If Fruddy keeps 3 (2:activated on gameday), then Blough probably goes to PS - I doubt he beats out Stanton in any circumstance.

If it goes this way (Gilbert#2), then we trade Stanton to a desperate team. Imo.

Who is trading anything for Drew Stanton?

If we keep three QBs on the 53 man roster then there is a 0% chance Blough is on the practice squad.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Stanton is horrible his only good thing is mentoring Baker, and I think his QB coach will do that just fine ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Stanton is here for one reason...mentoring Mayfield like a coach on the practice field. I see Gilbert suiting up and Stanton be inactive but sporting that baseball cap on backwards sitting next to Mayfield.

Blough hopefully will make our practice squad.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: eotab
Stanton is here for one reason...mentoring Mayfield like a coach on the practice field. I see Gilbert suiting up and Stanton be inactive but sporting that baseball cap on backwards sitting next to Mayfield.

Blough hopefully will make our practice squad.

No one keeps four QBs even if one is one the practice squad.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A

If we keep three QBs on the 53 man roster then there is a 0% chance Blough is on the practice squad.

I guess I was counting Blough as the 3rd kept quarterback - not on the active 53, but as one on PS who could be activated in case of injuries.

As far as Stanton - If a team loses a couple QBS in preseason, who knows?
Maybe just release him?

At any rate, I believe Freddy will keep him.

C
Legend
Legend
C

I guess I was counting Blough as the 3rd kept quarterback - not on the active 53, but as one on PS who could be activated in case of injuries.

As far as Stanton - If a team loses a couple QBS in preseason, who knows?
Maybe just release him?

At any rate, I believe Freddy will keep him.

I think we'll keep Stanton too, I just don't know if we should. I also think Garrett Gilbert is our long term backup. He's not going anywhere.

Blough should catch on somewhere else at some point just like Brogan Roback did.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Practice squad has no relevance. We had 3 on our roster last year. The Blough thing was just I hope he sticks with the practice squad. If it makes you feel better eliminate him from my post.

What really counts is that Stanton will be inactive and Gilbert should be the #2??? Just guessing on that but we should have 3 on the roster. I don't really care about the practice squad and it has nothing to do with #4 it will have to do with us really liking somebody or not!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Backup Quarterback?

Link Copied to Clipboard