Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Wylie was the OL coach under both Hue/Haley and Williams/Freddie. He was always a well-respected OL coach. GM even started a thread about him that accentuated how good he was.

I get the need to knock him because he said something we don't like, but I'm not going to be part of that movement.

I'm not knocking him...I am asking a question I have always asked during his Browns tenureship. Was he any good? I honestly do not know. But, I did answer my other question....Wylie WAS w/Hue in Oakland and when Hue was fired in OAK Wylie went to the CFL and returned when Hue hired him in CLE. So, there is an obvious allegiance there w/Hue. That to me speaks volumes about all of these rubbish articles.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Our W/L record means nothing to me as far about what I think about Bob Wylie. I like Bob Wylie. He's your crazy Uncle Ted. He can manage accomplishments in short spurts but just struggles to maintain anything long term. He even knows magic tricks. He's lovable and harmless.

He's loyal too.

Loyal enough to leak a little something to the press when his boss is having a bad day.

I had and voiced my doubts about Freddie Kitchens over GW from the start. Our W/L record might validate that a little bit, but given the amount of turnover in coaching and the offensive system, I'm pretty sure I'm already prone to a Mulligan year.

Dorsey has done enough to probably get more than a Mulligan year from me. Even if I hate Kitchens in year two, it's probably going to be a lot longer before that hate moves to Dorsey. He's earned that much.

So if our W/L record isn't what I think it should be, I'm going to first look at what I think the reason is. I'm then going to probably pile all of what I mentioned above on that. What Uncle Bob Wylie said won't have much to do with it. Nor will what Haley just said. I like Uncle Bob Wylie a lot more than I like Haley though.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You do realize I am not ignorant, right? I'm good w/your opinion. It's yours, after all. However, I do see what you are doing. It won't change my mind on how I view the situation, but it may sit well w/other posters.

I could add that we certainly turn this "loyalty" angle around and that guys like Wylie, Williams, and certain players are no longer here because they were loyal to Hue.

Freddie won. He has his guys and discarded the guys he did no want. That is well w/in his rights and it's something almost every coach does. But sorry man, I am not buying into this good and bad thing or the "rubbish" thing.

Of course, I will be in the minority when it comes to that. Hell, I even had one poster tell me that racism plays no part in how the media and many fans look at the actions of certain players. He said that was BS. LOL..........

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hmmmm...............this is an interesting post. Far different from most takes. I respect that. Not that you care if I respect it or not. LOL

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
You do realize I am not ignorant, right? I'm good w/your opinion. It's yours, after all. However, I do see what you are doing. It won't change my mind on how I view the situation, but it may sit well w/other posters.

I could add that we certainly turn this "loyalty" angle around and that guys like Wylie, Williams, and certain players are no longer here because they were loyal to Hue.

Freddie won. He has his guys and discarded the guys he did no want. That is well w/in his rights and it's something almost every coach does. But sorry man, I am not buying into this good and bad thing or the "rubbish" thing.

Of course, I will be in the minority when it comes to that. Hell, I even had one poster tell me that racism plays no part in how the media and many fans look at the actions of certain players. He said that was BS. LOL..........

It's all good. This is just my take and my opinion. Independent thought. We're good and I'm not fighting...just putting forward different thoughts and an opinion that I don't trust all this stirring the pot journalism as it is pointless and isn't healthy for the team and coaches that currently occupy Berea.

"Rubbish", btw, means garbage. My wife is English, we have been together since 1992. I lived in England for 14 years and was surrounded by Brits....so yeah, I have picked up a few words here and there just as she has picked up some American words. It's just how I talk.

The last part regarding a post on racism...that has nothing to do with this conversation. That is going on in the Political forum.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hmmmm...............this is an interesting post. Far different from most takes. I respect that. Not that you care if I respect it or not. LOL

I don't care much if anyone respects what I say on a message board, but if you want to view me as Uncle Bob Wylie, that's fine by me.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Cool. I respect your opinion. And it makes sense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Meh.. There's a game albeit preseason in a few days. Wylie? Meh.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just CLickin,
Did anyone of the people on this forum actually listen to the interview he gave :

https://cbssportsradio.radio.com/articles/former-browns-ol-coach-bob-wylie-i-got-fired-hospital

There was really nothing in the interview were Wylie was taking cheap shots and the Browns or Kitchens. He answered questions from his perspective with reasonable explanations.
Yes, the QB coach works closer with the QB than the O-coordinator. Yes, Todd Haley was causing tension in the locker room and with the head coach. Yes, Kitchens has NEVER BEEN a head coach and the team last year was under Greg Williams. And YES, when your franchise QB likes you, you got a shot at being the coach.

So what of those things are a lie?? Or what of those things was new news?? BTW - all the old coaches who were apart of the 7 win team are not there anymore, So Kitchens has to do this with a unproven staff. That is all totally true!

R
Legend
Legend
R
You mean MKC embellished to create drama?

No way. No. Way.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Rishuz,
Anyone should know better than to click on a MKC article. Now
Marla Ridenour writes circles around MKC!!

Legend
Legend
just another case of somebody outside of the organization trying to stir up crap.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Just CLickin,
Did anyone of the people on this forum actually listen to the interview he gave :

https://cbssportsradio.radio.com/articles/former-browns-ol-coach-bob-wylie-i-got-fired-hospital

I listened to it. And again, nothing in it has any relevance to what is happening now. It was primarily a self-congratulatory diatribe. Freddie said it best, sometimes people need to be made to feel relevant. Bob Wylie, no matter what he says, what type of coach he was, or what type of person he is, no longer wears Orange and Brown.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Cal,
Atleast you listened to it. And it was not really as bad as folks make it out to be. Ex employee gives his opinion about former employer. OK!.. And again, there was nothing he said that was really a blast on the Browns or Kitchens.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's odd how fans blame journalists for twisting a message, when in fact, often times they do the same thing.

Wylie didn't really say anything out of the way but when you read this board, you would think he shot some posters momma's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It seems Freddie didn't get your message.

Actually, if you listen to his entire answer it seems he did. He says exactly what I am saying. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Let's focus on what really does matter.

FWIW, that's the way I took it also

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DogNDC
Cal,
Atleast you listened to it. And it was not really as bad as folks make it out to be. Ex employee gives his opinion about former employer. OK!.. And again, there was nothing he said that was really a blast on the Browns or Kitchens.

I agree in that I didn't find it all that disparaging, just irrelevant, condescending, and mostly self-promoting and self-congratulatory.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tend to agree with Freddie on this one. The only person I have ever seen affect a franchise at the O-line coach spot is Mike Munchak. Other than that, either the players execute well or they don't.

Sounds like some sour grapes from Wylie.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
We probably should have kept Greg Williams as HC. He is the one who turned this thing around. Literally ever other team would have hired Williams in the situation we had last year.

Greg Williams was the Right Coach for the Right Team at the right time and i fear we blew it.

If Kitchens goes 5-11, 6-10, etc I think Haslam snaps and blows everything up.

I firmly believe the ONLY reason Williams didn't get the job was because Dorsey was afraid of a strong experienced coach like Williams would cause a power struggle with him much like Reid in Kansas City.

Williams would have had ideas to make things better here, and I could have seen Haslam going along with some of those ideas. Dorsey was afraid of being pushed out by Williams just like he was pushed out by Reid in KC.

John Dorsey is NOT a good GM. He is a guy that is ok for a year or two but then screw things up.

Look no farther than his screw ups with the Chiefs

Quote:

Others in the building saw signs of decisions becoming less collaborative, and more centered on Dorsey’s instincts. It also didn’t go unnoticed that Dorsey’s draft picks, like Fisher and Duvernay-Tardif, were the ones getting paid early. And the way the Jeremy Maclin release was handled—key members of the staff didn’t know until after it became public—didn’t help squash the internal whispering.

This isn’t to say there weren’t decisions that were made with a roaring consensus from the team’s football operation. One such call was the one to pursue Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes in the draft. The Chiefs moved aggressively to make it happen.

But too often, there were big moves made where scouts and coaches were left scratching their heads. It still bothers some close to Dorsey that Hunt caught wind of it, because there certainly weren’t many signs externally that the ax was about to drop. Some still maintain that it was right to keep these issues in-house, since they may have been fixable.

The trouble with that, of course, was the Chiefs were going to have to sign up for another half-decade with Dorsey. And in the end, that’s something that Hunt wasn’t going to do.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/29/kansas-city-chiefs-john-dorsey-fired-nfl-notebook

The Chiefs got rid of Dorsey because of Dorsey doing what Dorsey always does. Things becoming less collaborative, him going on his instincts, People left scratching their heads wondering what in the **** is Dorsey doing?!

The Kareem Hunt move was a prime example of Dorsey already starting the BS that got the Hunt's to cut ways with him KC. the only reason he brought in Hunt was because he drafted him. Had Hunt not been drafted by Dorsey we would not have touched him with his character issues.

its a problem that is already starting to fester.

I was really hoping Dorsey had changed. That he was going to be a good talent evaluator, sign guys that make sense, and move the team forward. He seemed to do just that in year one, but now that he has Jackson out of the way, and it appears Haslam has given Dorsey Autonomy he is starting to drift back into what got him canned in KC.

I just hope we can win a Super Bowl in the next year or two before this whole Dorsey thing blows up in our faces...

M
Legend
Legend
M
WOWZER ... so glad you let me know the real Dorsey. Here I was blissfully thinking that in two drafts Dorsey was responsible for taking a win-less team to being on the verge of being expected to contend for the division and a Playoff run... phew. Thanks dude. I guess we should be all in on a first round QB next year too.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: mgh888
WOWZER ... so glad you let me know the real Dorsey. Here I was blissfully thinking that in two drafts Dorsey was responsible for taking a win-less team to being on the verge of being expected to contend for the division and a Playoff run... phew. Thanks dude. I guess we should be all in on a first round QB next year too.

Dorsey walked into a perfect situation. I don't think he really done anything great.

Sashi Browns plan was to fill the bottom of the roster the 1st two years and stock pile picks. This he done. in 2017 he took Myles Garret who is probably the best De to come out of the draft since Bruce Smith. In two years it looks like that pick was a home run.

Sashi Brown would have taken Mayfield and Ward in the 1st rd too. they were the best players on the boards at those spots. Ward for sure since we cut Haden. Dorsey didn't do anything ground breaking, year 3 was always the target year to move things forward. Part of me wishes Brown would have gotten year 3 because I think he would have turned things around too.

Sashi Brown was far smarter than folks give him credit for, and he was innovative too. Brown is more responsible for our turnaround than Dorsey even if he isn't here. It was Brown that tore our roster down to the studs and rebuilt it.

I mean Myles Garret, Joe Schobert, (both Pro Bowlers picked by Brown), Higgins, Peppers(starting for NYG a future Pro Bowler), Larry Ogunjobi, David Njoku, I'd say Brown put the 4 core pieces of the team in place that allowed us to turn things around last year.

Ogunjobi should have gotten a Pro Bowl already he will probably get it this year. that would be 3 Pro bowlers in two drafts for Sashi Brown, that puts him in the elite status.

Most of the hard work was done when Dorsey got here. He had a huge pile of cash and stupid amount of picks. If he didn't get something good he would have had to be braindead.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, we've had numerous and high draft picks many times. Yet nobody managed to build anything. I mean it's just so easy to do we could have hired anybody.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Knight...you do realize that Gregg wasn't hired for any HC vacancy. Why is that?

I take nothing away from what GW achieved when here and the FUBAR scenario he was caught up in and inherited in week 8, but when multiple teams were hiring for HC he secured a DC gig. I think that may speak volumes about his reputation and how the league views him. Again, I have total respect for GW and am grateful for what he did in his interim as HC, but until proven otherwise I 100% trust Dorsey on this one.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
The Chiefs got rid of Dorsey because of Dorsey doing what Dorsey always does. Things becoming less collaborative, him going on his instincts, People left scratching their heads wondering what in the **** is Dorsey doing?!

First, we might want to see the team perform before we attempt to judge the job Dorsey has done. As of today, we have no basis to judge Dorsey as you are attempting to do before the 2019 season starts..ya think?

Knight of Brown...do you have any idea who ANDY REID is?

...that is the main reason Dorsey was cut lose by the Chiefs.

Hiring Andy Reid, knowing he had a history of wanting full control over football matters in Philly and after they hired a strong GM such as Dorsey, spelled trouble from day Reid was hired by the Chiefs.

The Browns are lucky to land Dorsey, given Haslam's record as owner.

Last edited by mac; 08/06/19 05:44 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: FATE

I think anyone who reads him is high ... i don’t understand why anyone reads him ...

Legend
Legend
I may not realize it when I start each post, but 75% of what I read here is for the sheer comedic value.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I think anyone who reads him is high ... i don’t understand why anyone reads him ...

He spells rEally well and gots gOod graMmer!!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

He spells rEally well and gots gOod graMmer!!

rofl ...

To each their own i guess ....

How is he at ...

LETS GOOOOOOOooooooo thumbsup

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
John Dorsey is NOT a good GM. He is a guy that is ok for a year or two but then screw things up.

Yeah, the Chiefs suck.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Yeah, the Chiefs suck.

I don't agree with Knight, but do in regard to cap. We have to be smart here for the next few years. Hopefully Depo can have some influence on John in regards to cap.

We have some pretty important players we will need to sign.

None the less, John gets a A-/B+ for what he has done to this point.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

None the less, John gets a A-/B+ for what he has done to this point.

Remove oneself from any moral issue of signing Hunt and I think Dorsey fairly grades at an A-. The only ding I have him on is Corbett at 33. The kid may well become what we hope we have in a #33 draft pick. Mitchell Schwartz got a lot of heat & criticism in this very forum from many folks in here, yet he has grown to become a top RT in the league and we all bemoaned when we lost him. So, Corbett COULD still tap out as a great pick, which would push Dorsey into A+ territory. But, currently from the looks of things Corbett is struggling to stand out amongst his competition. I could also, possibly ding Dorsey on the kicking situation, esp as we used a 5th round pick for AS. But, as I mentioned in the punting/Scottish Hammer thread, I seriously wonder if both kickers struggles are due to the Hammer holding.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Yeah, the Chiefs suck.

Every couple weeks or so, a post makes me laugh out loud. This was one of those times,

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Dorsey gets an A+. He has made so many great moves that it's hard to count them all. This roster sucked until he got here. He's transformed into one of the best rosters in the entire league in less than two years after having the absolute worst roster in the entire league under Sashi.

He stole Randall. He stole OBJ. He stole Landry. He got draft picks for the crap that Sashi brought in at qb in Kizer, Cody, and Hogan. Baker was a great pick. So were Ward and Chubb.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.............glad you liked it, bro.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Dorsey gets an A+.

Even though I knock him on Corbett and the verdict is still out on the 5th rounder for a kicker who is struggling....I can totally see any argument to grade him an A+, so I don't dispute your grade and can see its justification.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, I spoke it like a fact, but it just my opinion. I mean, we can grade each individual move, but the bottom line [in my opinion] is that we had the worst roster in the entire NFL when Sashi was in charge and we now have one of the best. Hell, guys like Diam say we have more talent than anyone. I won't go that far, but our talent level is high. And PDX, he did it in two years. That's amazing to me.

With that said, I have no problem w/the grade you assigned. It's all pretty subjective, so I am not arguing. Just discussing.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Quote:

Yeah, the Chiefs suck.

Every couple weeks or so, a post makes me laugh out loud. This was one of those times,

Yep. Choked on my coffee. Poor KOB did all that typing and got destroyed with four words lmao.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Well, I spoke it like a fact, but it just my opinion. I mean, we can grade each individual move, but the bottom line [in my opinion] is that we had the worst roster in the entire NFL when Sashi was in charge and we now have one of the best. Hell, guys like Diam say we have more talent than anyone. I won't go that far, but our talent level is high. And PDX, he did it in two years. That's amazing to me.

With that said, I have no problem w/the grade you assigned. It's all pretty subjective, so I am not arguing. Just discussing.

I agree man. I totally don't understand Knight's issues above. I mean, I respect the hell out of what Gregg did in the scenario he inherited, but let's be honest...he didn't get the HC gig and he didn't get other HC gigs. I don't believe that has anything to do with Dorsey...that says more about GW and how the league views him.

Now, Dorsey turning the Browns around...if we contend, let alone go to the SB and win either this year or next year...he has to be in the conversation for HoF. That will be the biggest turnaround in the history of the league. I understand also that there are some questions at cap, especially when Myles and Baker move off their rookie contracts, but the man has worked wonders and overhauled this roster in magical form.

In Dorsey I Trust, for sure.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Are u kidding me ... last years draft could go down as one of the greatest of all time ...

Bake .. Ward .. Chubb ... the trades, FA’s ... how is he not an A+ ...

PDX glad i wasn’t in your class dawg, your one tough butt grader ... *L* ..

What the heck bro ... he missed on Corbett (not ready to concede that but even if i was) but hit on 3 potential SUPER STUDS ... and there’s some other guys that didn’t get PT from that draft we don’t know about yet and thats just ONE DRAFT ...

Look at any position on the team and compare it to where it was just 2 short years ago .. the DL could be the best in football .. it’s LOADED and i mean LOADED ....

IMO his glaring mistake was letting McCourtney go for all the wrong reasons ...

This has gotta be the biggest roster transformation in the history of the league in a mere two off seasons ...

So happy i wasn’t in one of your classes dawg .. *L* ...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Bob Wylie Speaks ........

Link Copied to Clipboard