Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
Hope you don't delete the account ..... normally enjoy reading your contributions.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Don't let things get under your skin. This is just s microcosm of the world we live in today. I value you as a part of this community.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Elizabeth Warren’s recession scare appears long on fear, short on facts

-Sen. Elizabeth Warren is sounding the alarm over a potential crisis ahead, citing a manufacturing “recession” and dangerous debt levels.

-However, the Democratic presidential candidate’s analysis skips some important context about both issues.

-Debt levels appear manageable, at least for now, while there’s scant evidence for a manufacturing recession.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/22/elizabet...t-on-facts.html

tsktsk
Some candidates will say anything to get attention.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Trump does it all te time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's not a bad gamble, we are almost 10 years into pretty consistent 1.5-3% GDP growth per year.. nothing goes up forever. What we haven't had is some of those 4.5-5.5% growth years that usually precede a recession.. as the election gets closer, if it doesn't drop, she can keep saying it could and if it does drop, she can brag about predicting it... not a bad play on her part... there are also some indicators that construction is slowing down, which is a big driver of the economy..

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's the matter DC, you haven't checked the technical analysis of the market?

Seems to me we're seeing a "likely to continue forever" signal laugh

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I know exactly what you said but it's been proven time and time again that people with any medical coverage will opt to get medical care almost anywhere other than an ER.
Then why was the basis of your smarmy comment that "The reason people rush the the ER is because they DON'T have healthcare! It's the only place that isn't allowed to refuse them treatment." blush

Quote:
An ER won't actually treat your long term problem. Sure, they'll set a broken bone or give you three days worth of medication for something.

But then all they do is refer you to an doctor or clinic to address the actual issue long term. So yes, you did miss the mark by a mile.

OR, they admit you to the hospital, because all of a sudden you tell them you have no place to go, or you have chest pain or you're suicidal. This isn't an outlier or rare occurrence.

Quote:

https://www2.deloitte.com/insights/us/en...tilization.html
There's more to the article but if you wish to read it you can follow the link.

And here are two articles showing that Medicaid expansion has led to an increase in ER utilization.

http://info.citrahealth.com/6-steps-to-impacting-medicaid-er-utilization

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...ncy-room-visits

Trust me. I see this abuse of emergency departments every day.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
You know, the math doesn't really add up here. I'm sure you see it abused because people do abuse everything. But when people have choices, they use other ways of getting healthcare too. When your ONLY choice is the emergency room, you have no other choice.

Are you actually trying to say that rather than going to the ER every time they need a doctor, they don't go any place else if they have a choice? Because that just doesn't make sense.

Did you ever consider the fact that those on medicaid have trouble finding a primary care doctor?

You see, if everyone had national healthcare every doctor would have to accept it. That alone would cut down on the issue you bring up.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Then why was the basis of your smarmy comment that "The reason people rush the the ER is because they DON'T have healthcare! It's the only place that isn't allowed to refuse them treatment." blush

Because that's a much bigger issue than the point you brought up.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
With all of Jfanent's facts it looks like you are losing another argument over here.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Are you actually trying to say that rather than going to the ER every time they need a doctor, they don't go any place else if they have a choice? Because that just doesn't make sense.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. They don't want to go through the trouble of finding a doctor, making an appointment or waiting in a clinic. They want the care an ER provides.

Quote:
Did you ever consider the fact that those on medicaid have trouble finding a primary care doctor?

They actually have an easier time than those with private insurance trying to find an in-network provider.

Quote:
You see, if everyone had national healthcare every doctor would have to accept it. That alone would cut down on the issue you bring up.

The issue I brought up was abuse of emergency rooms. How much more do I have to explain that the abuse is NOT due the patients not being able to get a private doctor or go to a clinic. It's because of convenience and the additional reasons I described.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
It seems you are convinced this is the same for "everyone" who has medicaid.

Maybe I'm wrong but what it seems you're doing is lumping everyone on a government program as being the same. That's simply not true.

A guy who used to work for me has a daughter who had a baby not long ago. She did make a couple of emergency room visits until such time as she could actually find a pediatrician for her baby.

There will always be abuses. Just as there are with food stamps. But no, it's not "easier" to find a doctor when you're on medicaid. So few doctors take that insurance for so many that are on medicaid, many are no longer even taking patients.

Your one size fits all description is a falsehood.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
It seems you are convinced this is the same for "everyone" who has medicaid. Maybe I'm wrong but what it seems you're doing is lumping everyone on a government program as being the same. That's simply not true.

Of course I'm not lumping everyone. Just those that abuse the system, and it's not a small number. You have a funny way of twisting things around until you're not wrong anymore.

Quote:
But no, it's not "easier" to find a doctor when you're on medicaid. So few doctors take that insurance for so many that are on medicaid, many are no longer even taking patients.

This article indicates otherwise. Remember (just in case you get the urge to change the argument into something that would make you "right" smile ), my comparison was between Medicaid patients and privately insured patients being able to find a doctor. You might like the article, because it totally slams Paul Ryan. Here's the part that addresses what we're talking about:

https://slate.com/business/2017/03/new-s...king-point.html

When the Washington Post tried to fact-check Ryan’s Medicaid claims earlier this year, it had trouble finding any number at all to substantiate them. “I am not aware of any data source that would tell you one way or another whether the number of physicians who accept Medicaid or Medicare, or private insurance for that matter, is going up or down,” Julia Paradise, associate director of the Kaiser Family Foundation’s Program on Medicaid and the Uninsured, told the paper. But a recent survey highlighted by Bruce Jepsen at Forbes suggests the figure has been pretty stable in major metro areas over the past decade. According to the doctor job placement company Merritt Hawkins, 53 percent of physicians in 15 large cities said they were accepting Medicaid patients in 2017. That’s up from 45.7 percent in 2014, when the Medicaid expansion began, and down slightly from 2009, when it was 55 percent.

Merrit Hawkins

These data may not cover the entire country, but they are instructive. First, they come from a substantial survey. Merritt Hawkins interviewed about 1,400 doctors’ offices in large cities like New York, Los Angeles, and Atlanta covering five different specialties: cardiology, dermatology, family medicine, OBGYN, and orthopedic surgery. The company also found that doctors working in midsize metros were slightly more likely to accept Medicaid than their peers in bigger cities, so there’s no particular reason to think that Medicaid is facing a more severe crisis outside the country’s larger population centers (the report only offered survey results for midsize metros covering 2017). A separate Merritt Hawkins survey of more than 17,000 physicians around the country found that 63.7 percent said they saw all Medicaid patients in 2016, up from 61.9 percent in 2014.*
A pessimist like Price might look at these data and note that, while the problem isn’t getting any worse, about half of doctors still aren’t taking Medicaid patients or are limiting the number they’ll see. That sure makes the program sound dysfunctional. But if you’re relatively poor, it turns out that private coverage might not be much better. In November, an analysis by the Medicaid and CHIP Payment Commission showed that Americans who earned less than 138 percent of the poverty line—the population covered under Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion—had about the same difficulty getting access to medical care during 2014 whether they had Medicaid or private insurance (that was the first year Obamacare’s major pieces were fully implemented). In fact, those with private plans were twice as likely to say they lacked a regular source of medical care, and about 9 percentage points more likely to say they worried about medical bills. Medicaid patients did face slightly longer wait times. But they had far, far better access to medicine than the uninsured. So to demonize Medicaid, as Price does, is to ignore the fact that private insurance faces the same problems, and in some respects more severely.

Quote:
Your one size fits all description is a falsehood.

If only I in fact had a one size fits all description. tsktsk

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm sure people who have never had medicaid and how hard it is to find a doctor know all about it.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Medicaid enrollees last in line when docs accepting new patients

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/article...ng-new-patients

And let's not confuse this. Even many of the doctors who do accept medicaid patients don't have room to accept more at this time.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Man ... whoever told Joe Biden running for president was a good isn’t a very good person ... He’s clearly not all their mentally ... this is not Joe making a gaffe here and their like he’s always done ... every day he’s having a senior moment or two of three ... showing a lack of memory and an inability to string together coherent sentences .... its embarrassing for him ... i feel bad for the dude ...

He was asked a question about China a few days ago and he rambled on for 2 minutes and what he said made no sense at all ... thats on top of the following since his senior moment at the debate with whatever the hell 303 pause 3033000 was an attempt at ...

- we take truth over facts ...
- poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids ...
- white suprecemists were chanting “ you will replace us” ...

Topped off by saying he was the VP during the parkland shooting ...

It’s really sad to watch and its extremely embarrassing for him .. his advisors have done him no favors what so ever ....

P
Legend
Legend
P

You were saying?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Man ... whoever told Joe Biden running for president was a good isn’t a very good person ... He’s clearly not all their mentally ... this is not Joe making a gaffe here and their like he’s always done ... every day he’s having a senior moment or two of three ... showing a lack of memory and an inability to string together coherent sentences .... its embarrassing for him ... i feel bad for the dude ...

He was asked a question about China a few days ago and he rambled on for 2 minutes and what he said made no sense at all ... thats on top of the following since his senior moment at the debate with whatever the hell 303 pause 3033000 was an attempt at ...

- we take truth over facts ...
- poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids ...
- white suprecemists were chanting “ you will replace us” ...

Topped off by saying he was the VP during the parkland shooting ...

It’s really sad to watch and its extremely embarrassing for him .. his advisors have done him no favors what so ever ....

What is really sad is all the Progressives on these boards are trying to convince us of the greatness of their Progressive candidates yet the old white guy, Biden, still leads the Race.

Seems America does not agree with their vision of greatness.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 08/11/19 08:33 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am not buying any grandpa for President... Joe and Bernie are showing their age.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Sure would be nice to find someone I could get behind.
I don't need to fall in love, but, damn... no one seems to want to distinguish themselves as someone I can actively support.

I'm too old and jaded for enthusiasm these days. I'd settle for someone who can convince me that they'll run the executive with competence and common sense.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wonder if the polar climate of American culture has something to do w/us not being able to produce viable candidates?

Legend
Legend
What smart, competent, balanced person would sign on for that mess of a job?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I wonder if the polar climate of American culture has something to do w/us not being able to produce viable candidates?

Polarization and the perpetual microscope up your butt are enough to keep any sane and rational person from wanting to do it.

No matter which party you are with or how good you might be at the job, you are almost guaranteed that 35-40% of the country is going to hate you because that is what their media overlords will tell them to do.

And you get to live in a world where every word you have ever spoken (or will speak in the future) in public, every document you have ever written, every social media post you have ever made will be investigated and twisted until one side proves you are a genius and the other side proves you are an idiot.. and every mistake you've ever made will be laid wide open for public consumption and ridicule in front of your spouse, your kids, your grandkids, your pastor, your friends... Yea, sounds like a lot of fun to me.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
Very true.

And I wasn't even talking about being the president as much as I was as trying to find legitimate candidates. However, I agree w/both you and Clem about the job itself.

I was just wondering if prospective candidates get painted into a very small corner due to all the stones that are constantly thrown at anyone who takes a stance on a political or social issue?

We see article after article that demonizes politicians for their stance on particular issues and those articles are re-posted thousands of times across the internet.

Politically speaking, we spend so much time flagging the other side and so very little time highlighting the good we can do that we've become a nation of muckrakers rather than a nation of achievers.

Perhaps I am way off base by wondering about how we've come to a place where there are so few desirable candidates, but perhaps I'm not...

O
Legend
Legend
O
All the candidates are legit, they just don't align to your views. Hell none of them align to my views 100% either so I know it's tough for you. Maybe a gooey drop of vanilla will land on a fence post, then you would have your candidate. thumbsup

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Most of them are too busy listening to Twitter than they are every day Americans. That's what's putting them so out of touch.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Most of them are too busy listening to Twitter than they are every day Americans. That's what's putting them so out of touch.

Define 'everyday americans', seems you are using a particular filter on what qualifies to be a common american.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I brought this up because of Clem's post that he is having a hard time getting behind a candidate. I was hoping for an intelligent conversation.

Then, you had to show up.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I brought this up because of Clem's post that he is having a hard time getting behind a candidate. I was hoping for an intelligent conversation.

Then, you had to show up.

I'll match my intelligence against yours any day. Any Day.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Let me phrase it differently since you seem to be having a problem with the way I phrase things these days.

When you only seem to represent those who seem to scream the loudest, you ignore the masses who are just looking for some common sense.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Again, you are saying only those in the middle have common sense. I disagree. We may not see things eye-to-eye but I'm no less american, nor do I have less common sense because of my views. I 100% understand you, I just don't think you are right.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Again, you are saying only those in the middle have common sense. I disagree. We may not see things eye-to-eye but I'm no less american, nor do I have less common sense because of my views. I 100% understand you, I just don't think you are right.

Are you on Twitter or Facebook saying inciteful things and posting nasty hateful memes and sharing stories from dubious sources all the time?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

Oh, I think that any number of present candidates are viable (this is no different than the GOP field in 2015-16).
Put plainly, none have excited me or even distinguished themselves above the others. Trust me, the worst of these will get my vote over the one in office today, but dang... there's a wholotta mediocrity on display in these debates.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And to me, it seems the one's who are trying to distinguish themselves have chosen the worst possible way to go about it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I hear you.

Maybe not the absolute worst, but I'd be making different/better choices, I'd like to think.

Legend
Legend
That's largely because these are not debates, we gave up on actual debates decades ago. These are a glorified version of America's Got Talent - Political Edition. You have 2 minutes to tell us how you will change the world, ready.... GO!

You used to win a debate with reason, articulation, superior intellect... now you win with bumper sticker sayings, quick wit, and gotcha moments.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'd be willing to bet you would Clem. I've been reading your stuff for a long time now.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Are you on Twitter or Facebook saying inciteful things and posting nasty hateful memes and sharing stories from dubious sources all the time?

I'm on FB and repost news and a few memes. I find them mostly true not hateful. News is generally the Hill but everything is legit. I am on twitter less than 30 minutes a week. And I don't really post much but do retweet some things, not part of the mob you think though on either.

Legend
Legend
Just like I said in the last election. There is no single person I can feel good about voting for. I am hoping one. two, or three appear, but so far the answer is ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH. For as much as the folks on the left have complained I can't figure out why they are not complaining about the waste of human flash that is running on the left this time frown

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
That's largely because these are not debates, we gave up on actual debates decades ago. These are a glorified version of America's Got Talent - Political Edition. You have 2 minutes to tell us how you will change the world, ready.... GO!

You used to win a debate with reason, articulation, superior intellect... now you win with bumper sticker sayings, quick wit, and gotcha moments.

We agree on this but I think the dumbed down american public has a two minute attention span too. I prefer the one on one debates.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Democratic Candidates

Link Copied to Clipboard