Legend
C

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
It's Browns week at The Ringer. I think this means we have arrived all the way.

V
Legend
Legend
V
There were actually some astute comments by Dorsey in that first article. Thanks for posting.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
I know that the Daniel Jones comment will get a lot of attention across the country, but I’m not so sure he meant it as a diss to Jones either ... it was maybe just like “I can’t believe they went against the grain ...”

Not sure exactly what he meant, but it’ll probably be discussed way too much now.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I know that the Daniel Jones comment will get a lot of attention across the country, but I’m not so sure he meant it as a diss to Jones either ... it was maybe just like “I can’t believe they went against the grain ...”

Not sure exactly what he meant, but it’ll probably be discussed way too much now.

Are you talking about this?

Quote:
Near our booth, a SportsCenter segment about the New York Giants catches Mayfield's eye. “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones,” Mayfield says, about New York's much-maligned draft-day decision to spend the sixth pick on the quarterback from Duke (whose college record was a measly 17–19). “Blows my mind.”

I tell Mayfield that I'm mystified that so many supposedly expert quarterback scouts seem unable to predict what makes a good NFL quarterback.

“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield says. “That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win.”

Looks like a diss to me. The guy just has a propensity to demean others. Of course, I'm sure the usual avalanche of excuses and attacks will commence.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

It was 100% a diss. It's not earth shattering though, most people had the same thoughts when the Giants drafted Daniel Jones.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Legend
Legend

Welcome to Cleveland, Where the Browns Are True Contenders

For the NFL’s centenary, a historically hexed franchise and an agonizingly vexed fan base are eagerly anticipating a resurrection of Biblical proportions. Thanks to some bold moves and brash personalities, the league’s biggest losers of the last two decades—yes, the Cleveland Browns—are Super Bowl contenders.
By Ben Baskin

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/20/clevel...reddie-kitchens

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Yep he's not perfect Vers...

All I care about is wins for my Browns though and as long as he's not breaking the law and winning I'm happy.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Sounds like Freddie reads the board ... rofl

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's definitely a diss, not necessarily of Daniel Jones though but of the Giants.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Are you talking about this?

Quote:
Near our booth, a SportsCenter segment about the New York Giants catches Mayfield's eye. “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones,” Mayfield says, about New York's much-maligned draft-day decision to spend the sixth pick on the quarterback from Duke (whose college record was a measly 17–19). “Blows my mind.”

I tell Mayfield that I'm mystified that so many supposedly expert quarterback scouts seem unable to predict what makes a good NFL quarterback.

“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield says. “That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win.”

Looks like a diss to me. The guy just has a propensity to demean others. Of course, I'm sure the usual avalanche of excuses and attacks will commence.

I actually wish Baker would shut the hell up about other players, coaches, teams, draft picks.... whatever.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

Im sure the usual suspects are jumping on baker for his comments on the Giants Qb.

He has already come out and said they have misquoted him, and that is not the context of what he said, but hey....as long as some are able to get a shot in at a 20 something kid.....

M
Legend
Legend
M
Anyone have the full quote of what he said ? AS stated in the thread here it would be a diss on Daniels 100% .... but I also don't think Baker would try to get out of something he said, so I take it at face value when he says he's been taken out of context .... but I'd like to read what he said for myself.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend

Click the image, read Baker's words.

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 08/20/19 03:23 PM.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I took the comment initially as NOT a diss but a comment on how “you never know” or “it’s okay to buck the trend” etc ... I also see that Baker has come out and commented on his perception of the truth and the “misquote”

Could he be backtracking now? Of course. I could be wrong with my initial thought as well.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker summed it up. Move on.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The public is going to believe what they want, including me. I think it's just as likely that the writer decided to create some additional buzz for his article by perpetuating the arrogant QB narrative on Mayfield. I think Mayfield's explanation is plausible. Two quotes combined to produce an impression. Mayfield is quite capable of making unflattering remarks about players that he knows, the Texas QB remarks are evidence of that. But I'm hearing no one suggests he has a history with Daniel Jones, including Daniel Jones. I don't think he would just call out somebody randomly. If that's what happened I'm not on board with it.

I hope he becomes more guarded with the press. Even refusing to be interviewed by some or, better yet how about some Russell Westbrook, "next question" responses.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, I pretty much agree about the press.

I get tired of the old excuse, "Yeah, but they asked him about it."

What you are asked is no excuse for the answer you give.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I actually wish Baker would shut the hell up about other players, coaches, teams, draft picks.... whatever

I agree...

I hate it when players go stupid and allow their mouth to get ahead of their brain.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Everyone wants a villain. People want Baker, Freddie and the Browns to fail. People want Belichick and Brady to fail. I'm just going to enjoy watching the dynasty build. And I believe it will be a dynasty. JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This was Baker's response:

“This is not what I said . . . just so we’re clear,” Mayfield wrote. “I also said I was surprised I got drafted number one. Then was talking about the flaws in evaluating QBs. Where I brought up winning being important. Reporters and media will do anything to come up with a click bait story. Heard nothing but good things and wish nothing but the best for Daniel.”

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Ok, if that is Baker's claim, then I believe him. I still wish he'd tone it down though.

gmstrong

-----------------

D
Legend
Legend
D
GQ has articles about football? Jeez, what's next, women in skimpy bikinis in Sports Illustrated? Oh, wait ...

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Ok, if that is Baker's claim, then I believe him. I still wish he'd tone it down though.

Okay.

Let's say I'm someone in the media.

Using your post, here is what I would post in order to get clicks: Lamp claims Baker wasn't honest and wishes he'd shut up."

See how it works?

Click bait.

Same thing happens in politics.

Legend
Legend
women have shows like 'pretty little liars' to fill their drama needs.

men have the NFL to fill ours.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's 1.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I read Baker's comments and I don't think he is lying. His story seems plausible and I don't think he is the type to backtrack. I will take back my earlier comment that he was wrong to say what he did. I actually believe him.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

women have shows like 'pretty little liars' to fill their drama needs.

men have the NFL to fill ours.

I always thought that was what the NBA was for.

Legend
Legend
mostly all sports.

but the NFL is....i dunno. somehow the diva's in the nfl surpass those in the NBA. dont ask me for stats on that though

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have no idea why Antonio Brown, B. Farve, and T. Owens just popped into my head after reading your post.

Legend
Legend

Maybe this the wrong place but the Baker headline was here.

I thought it was pretty odd that Odell made the comment "They thought they'd send me here to die".

I don't know. When I read stuff like this in the back of my mind there is always a question. "Where is the BS"?

Odell? The author? What? Just me but I don't think a NFL franchise's make deals to punish players.

They make deals to improve, move money, address problems.

I don't know the truth.

Legend
Legend
because those are the epitome of diva's in the nfl.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I worked for 2 local news stations. I can tell you without question this is commonplace. It's disgusting and they don't care how it can mess with people's lives. They just need a certain amount of clicks a month to keep their jobs.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Until the players on this team prove they can park their ego's and "be a team" the "hype" is WAY over the top! They haven't won a game yet, nor have they had a winning season. Playoffs?

Get ready for a sluggish start and headlines such as, "What's wrong with the Browns?"

Hope I am wrong but the writing is on the wall.....my $0.02.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Get ready for a division title.

The only thing that will stop us is injuries. I firmly believe that.

I also would like to rest some of our starters until Sept. 8. I'm good with keeping our big guns on the sidelines in exhibition games.

gmstrong

-----------------

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
I worked for 2 local news stations. I can tell you without question this is commonplace. It's disgusting and they don't care how it can mess with people's lives. They just need a certain amount of clicks a month to keep their jobs.

I also worked for a tv station as well.. you make your promos provocative to gain viewers, in this case clicks. Those numbers are then used to raise advertising prices, or sell more ad time. Show the advertisers good ratings, and they will buy.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Behind Baker and OBJ, the Browns Are Ready to Become the NFL’s Next Big Thing

Link Copied to Clipboard