Lol.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
And i was in the keep duke at least til hunt comes back camp from day 1 ... and i would have been fine keeping him all year as who knows what The future holds ...

I’m also STUNNED and THRILLED at what KJ got for him ..

I think that was tipping point. I am not sure that we were in a hurry to move Duke, but once that offer came in you have to jump on it before it goes away.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Yeah I too was not impressed by Hilliard in the game although for the most part he was not in with the ONES and the opportunities where not there. He did recognize the blitz but was gosh awful trying to block the blitzer...although he did tackle ok...lol laugh

RBs are all over the place. With the staff that Dorsey has put together we will have the opportunity to pick up a kid from somebody's practice squad if the situation merits it.

We can sign many players that they were impressed with from the draft or UDFA signings that will get cut.

I actually liked the kid Trayone Gray. He might be the only keeper from the bunch. Looks to be one of those GAME DAY Players don't know how he practices. But thought he had the right stuff.

Would like to see him climb up the charts...right now he is dead last...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Quote:
John Dorsey: It was the right time to trade Duke Johnson

Charean Williams,ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports Thu, Aug 8 8:00 PM EDT

The Browns said repeatedly they were not trading Duke Johnson. They traded the running back Thursday.

“I do want to wish Duke the best,” General Manager John Dorsey said on News 5′s pregame show Thursday night, via Nate Ulrich of the Beacon Journal. “With regards to that, we sat; we waited; we were patient; and at the right time, there was a deal on the table that we probably should have taken.”

The Browns made the deal with the Texans despite the fact that they won’t have Kareem Hunt for the first eight games while he serves a suspension. Nick Chubb is the starter, with Dontrell Hilliard, D’Ernest Johnson and undrafted rookies A.J. Ouellette and Trayone Gray fighting to backup Chubb while Hunt is out.

“I’m very comfortable with what we have in the running back room right now, but what we do is we look all the time for all types of players,” Dorsey said. “We will not rest until we find the best 53 we possibly can.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/john-dorsey-time-trade-duke-000055426.html

Considering our needs at RB, I think Charcandrick West would be a good fit. Not sure if he is in shape or anything of that nature. But, he could fill Duke's role for awhile.

Legend
Legend
Jc

I wasn’t overly impressed with D’ernest (SP) despite reading that he’s had a good camp. To me, we need that elusive type back in the 3rd RB role until Hunt returns. Someone with pass catching abilities and shiftiness; I saw Johnston as more of a one cut dude

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Duke was overpriced for what his role was in this offense
this team isnt going to live or die on who the 3rd RB is.
Hillard will eventually learn to pick up blitzes....or not.
theres a list of RBs on the street the Browns can sign.

P
Legend
Legend
P
To a lot of people getting a RB on a cheaper salary with the same skill set and getting a mid round draft choice to boot doesn't make sense. That's why Dorsey is in charge and they are posting on a message board.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I wasn't very impressed w/Hilliard or the other dude...what's his name? D'Ernest Johnson?

Hilliard did well catching the ball on the first drive, but he was pathetic in pass protection. He had one hold and it should have been two. He held the guy on the one in the first half where the dumb announcer said he did a good job.

The fumble was bad. He didn't look good in-between the tackles on early down carries.

It's just one game, but he is going to have to step it up.

I think Chanderick West or whatever his name would be a good fit in Cleveland.

I saw the fumble on the goal line. I will actually watch the game tomorrow at 1PM.

Just a question, was Duke a good pass blocker? I am not really sure if this guy is a good pass blocker or not. He did do the things Duke did for this team in the past, but the O is different now. Maybe he does have to step up that part of the game.

I go to games but usually watch when there like I do on TV. I don't focus off ball all that much

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Duke made himself into an outstanding pass blocker.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
And i was in the keep duke at least til hunt comes back camp from day 1 ... and i would have been fine keeping him all year as who knows what The future holds ...

I’m also STUNNED and THRILLED at what KJ got for him ..

I think that was tipping point. I am not sure that we were in a hurry to move Duke, but once that offer came in you have to jump on it before it goes away.

I like this angle best and it makes the most sense. Thanks.

Legend
Legend
This is a good point too
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I guess this puts to rest the issue for the very few who thought he might just be holding out here in Cleveland.

Legend
Legend
We just want him to suit up 10 times

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Quoted this for emphasis. He really sucked at pass blocking when he started.

L
Legend
Legend
L
He wasn't great at it.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
DUKE JOHNSON
RB, HOUSTON TEXANS

Duke Johnson (hamstring) returned to practice.

Johnson will now get some valuable training camp reps with his new offense. The Texans will be using Johnson, at minimum, as a pass-catching back, but there's a path to more usage if Lamar Miller struggles. Johnson is an interesting PPR pick in the double-digit rounds while playing in an offense that may be forced to dump off quick passes behind one of the worst offensive lines.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Aug 20, 2019, 12:09 PM ET

Legend
Legend
Duke landed in a good spot for him. Lamar is JAG and doesn’t have the pass catching ability ... plus, it’s a fast offense on turf that is looking to get it out quickly

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
It's odd how we are willing to now openly criticize Duke. For a few years he and JT were our sole bright spots on offense. We loved the man and everything he brought to the team. Now, we cast him aside.

He was a dawg who battled and always did what was asked of him. He did it well AND he did it while being on some truly terrible teams. I hope he does well in Houston, until, of course we play the Texans. Then there will be no remorse.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It looks like Lamar Miller just blew out his knee.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
It looks like Lamar Miller just blew out his knee.

Hate to hear it.

However, maybe we have a better chance at our 10 games now.

Legend
Legend
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Texans made a run at Melvin Gordon now

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Texans made a run at Melvin Gordon now

That would make sense, and continue the pattern Duke had here. Always the #2 guy. When the #1 guy is gone, bring in another guy to be the #1 RB and Duke stays #2.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah, that’s Duke’s area of strength ... he can’t be the lead back. Of course, I’m not sure the Texans are gonna want to pony up the picks/money it’ll take to get Gordon

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Unless the Texans trade Clowney...since those rumors are swirling around.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think there will be some fine backs available for the Texans and they would cost a lot less than Gordon.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Time for Duke to prove if he can be the guy. I hope he succeeds, but I bet they get someone to be the main back.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Another option would be Adrian Peterson if Washington was to think Guice is good to go

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Houston probably planned on Duke being able to fill in for a game .. maybe 2 .. but doubt if they wanted him to be full time for a season.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think there will be some fine backs available for the Texans and they would cost a lot less than Gordon.

I agree...always seems to be some solid-good backs scraped aside around these times...as long as they can find a compliment to Duke, I think they'll be ok.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Duke is not a featured back.
He's a role player on his best day.
He's never had a 100 yd rushing game
He's overpriced 3rd down check down

V
Legend
Legend
V
Another option would be Adrian Peterson if Washington was to think Guice is good to go

I was thinking the same thing about AP.

SF has an excess of backs. Maybe one of those guys. A sleeper might be either Carson or Penny from Seattle. Both are very good.

Legend
Legend
Or maybe Chicago cuts ties with Mike Davis ... or Philly decides to release one of theirs

Or maybe McCoy from the Bills

E
Legend
Legend
E
Duke is pretty relevant in a Spread offense...who knows what he can do as the featured back. Physically can he take it? I wish him well...

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Duke is definitely a weapon in the spread. You can do a lot of different interesting things with Duke.

The question is can their coaches come up with a season's worth of interesting things?

My guess is that they bring in a more traditional back and have them split playing time.

Legend
Legend
Without starting a new thread ... I just alluded to this in the Chubb thread, but it’s something I thougth about during the Rams game.

Do we miss Duke Johnson’s presence a little bit? He was a steady player for quite a while here ... reliable, good hands, versatile, etc. He was almost a safety valve for the QB (especially now since we don’t have that reliable TE threat to help Baker).

I didn’t think we’d miss him that much, but I’m starting to think we are.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Without starting a new thread ... I just alluded to this in the Chubb thread, but it’s something I thougth about during the Rams game.

Do we miss Duke Johnson’s presence a little bit? He was a steady player for quite a while here ... reliable, good hands, versatile, etc. He was almost a safety valve for the QB (especially now since we don’t have that reliable TE threat to help Baker).

I didn’t think we’d miss him that much, but I’m starting to think we are.

IMHO, Chubb can do what Duke did but better...

With the reliance in shot-gun formations, I don't think there was too much space for Duke,nor that we miss him.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I never agreed with trading Johnson.

Legend
Legend
Me neither. But it isn't like the loss of his overwhelming production after all. I wished him much success and I still do.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Well, when a player openly states that he doesn't want to play here, not like you have a lot of choice.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Duke Johnson Traded

Link Copied to Clipboard