Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
J/c

Rich Eisen did a 9 minute segment I saw on Twitter. He actually read the article and things were taken out of context according to him. I would post it but I’m on my phone.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
jc:

This was the New York Times headline in response to the GQ article:

Baker Mayfield trashes Daniel Jones as a loser

What a bunch of nonsense. rofl

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Haha thats a bit hyperbolic
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
jc:

This was the New York Times headline in response to the GQ article:

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Tried to load the Rich Eisen interview. Didn't work.

Last edited by guard dawg; 08/21/19 07:12 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
jc:

This was the New York Times Post headline in response to the GQ article:

Correction.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

Baker is not the type to care what people thing. He has no problem saying his mind, and if you don't like - the hell with you.

Baker would not have said it was out of context if he meant what was reported, or it was true.

That's just a fact about him. You get what you get with him, like it or not. I don't see him as one to try to backtrack anything he would have said.

O
Legend
Legend
O
jc:

This was the New York Times Post headline in response to the GQ article:

Correction.

Hahaha, that's a big correction.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
The Browns Brought the Process to the NFL. Surprisingly, It Worked.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/8/21/20826377/cleveland-browns-the-process-sashi-brown

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
double post

Last edited by cfrs15; 08/21/19 10:48 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
The Browns Brought the Process to the NFL. Surprisingly, It Worked.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/8/21/20826377/cleveland-browns-the-process-sashi-brown

A BRILLIANT article. There are some parts I don't agree with, but it was very informative overall and gives a pretty accurate account of, specifically, the past three to four seasons.

Quote:
During Brown’s Cleveland tenure, Kevin Cole, a data scientist at Pro Football Focus, started a podcast called What Would Sashi Do?

^ I thought Sashi was the one responsible for this? brownie

Tackles are tackles.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
On the one hand, [trading down was] crucial for the Browns’ team-building. On the other hand, the two picks the Browns traded in 2016 and 2017 became Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson. There’s an easy conclusion to draw about Brown’s four-year tenure in Cleveland: Even though Dorsey, Cleveland’s current general manager, assembled the bulk of the talent on the 2019 roster, a substantial chunk of that talent was attainable only because of the cap space and picks left behind by Brown’s front office. In 2018, the Browns had the most draft capital of any team in the salary cap era. The trade with the Texans eventually netted the Browns Denzel Ward. Another deal with Houston—a delightfully innovative trade in which the Browns acquired a second-round pick for taking on Brock Osweiler’s contract—netted them promising running back Nick Chubb. Brown’s failure to get a franchise quarterback was the biggest indictment of his tenure. But his deals (and the losing seasons that produced back-to-back no. 1 picks) delivered assets that helped the roster in the years to come, including the 2018 no. 1 pick and franchise quarterback Mayfield. As I said when Brown was hired by the Wizards last month: He did not save the Browns, but he set Cleveland up for saving.

The Browns’ current plan under Dorsey is as good as any in the league, and there are few general managers you’d pick to run an NFL team before him. He took the good parts the Process had produced—Myles Garrett, David Njoku, Larry Ogunjobi, the cap space, the picks—and built a much better 53-man roster than the one he inherited. If the Browns have the type of success their young core is capable of, there will be a lot of debate about who deserves the credit. The answer is everyone.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Everyone wants a villain. People want Baker, Freddie and the Browns to fail.

I don't buy that at all. I live very close to Nashville. People move here from all over the country. I see fans of several NFL teams wearing their teams colors. Almost every single one of them wish me well. Say as fans we've earned it and talk about how much talent we have.

I think some Browns fans listen to the few who scream the loudest and don't get a real sense of what other fans really have to say.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Another one I liked:

#TheCocoon
#GoodOleBoysClub

Tackles are tackles.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

P
Legend
Legend
P
Gut team. Cut salaries by gutting teams. Create cap space by gutting team. Trade away great draft picks to accumulate picks for someone who actually knows how to build a team later.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I had some Sports shows on this morning while working out. Man, the Browns are in the news for talking. Baker, OBJ, Freddie. I don't trust the media, but former players are saying the Browns are talking too much. They know more about the league than we do. And what was up w/Freddie saying he didn't know what a bullseye was? LOL........he was trying to give a BB or Parcells line, but it sounded stupid.

I would prefer the Browns concentrate on football and stop providing quotes to the media about things they can't control.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
I would prefer the Browns concentrate on football and stop providing quotes to the media about things they can't control.
So because they answered a question that was asked of them at a PRESS CONFERENCE and at an INTERVIEW, they are not concentrating on football?

SMH. I am glad you know the ins and outs of the team's focus based on a few comments that take about 25 seconds to state, and not the actual DAYS and WEEKS and MONTHS they have spent practicing and focusing on the game.

SMH

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: guard dawg

Tried to load the Rich Eisen interview. Didn't work.

Here is a link I found...

link

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Video won't post

Last edited by cfrs15; 08/21/19 06:20 PM. Reason: delete
V
Legend
Legend
V
All players are asked questions. The idea is not to give the press ammunition.

Victor Cruz, the former NY Giant WR, had a good point earlier today. He said he would let Baker and OBJ know he had their back, but would ask them to tone it down because he wouldn't want to have to deal w/the press asking him questions about what other guys said.

That seemed to be a popular sentiment w/former NFL players. It's rare for players to talk about other players and teams in a negative light.

Saying less is saying more.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I don't think Baker did (in this case). If you read the article, which I'm sure you did, you would see that the context really lends more to the comments.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend

So... the author weaves quotes from two separate conversations to create one big basket of bs. Bet they got a lot of clicks though...

Mayfield reaches out to Giants' Jones to clear air

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27433149/mayfield-reaches-giants-jones-clear-air

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield said Wednesday that he has reached out to Daniel Jones "to clear the air" regarding his comments published by GQ about the rookie New York Giants quarterback.

Mayfield acknowledged saying to GQ that it "blows my mind" the Giants would select Jones with the No. 6 pick in the NFL draft.

But Mayfield said the context for his GQ quote -- "Some people overthink it. That's where people go wrong. They forget you've gotta win. ... Either you have a history of winning and being that guy for your team or you don't." -- came from a conversation in April about himself, not Jones, who went 17-19 at Duke.

"It seemed very disrespectful, and I can understand that," Mayfield said. "But what people didn't realize, the conversation entailed of me saying I was surprised I was drafted No. 1 overall, and then me going on a rant after that about QB evaluation and the frustration from the college recruiting process.

"And so it had nothing to do with Daniel specifically about the winning and stuff."

Mayfield said that Jones was "very nice" and "cordial" and told Mayfield, "no worries, man," after he reached out via text message.

Mayfield said that he was initially "pretty confused" about the backlash from the GQ article, published Tuesday morning. Not long after the Browns finished practice later that day, he posted a clarification on his Instagram.

"That's the only reason I addressed it yesterday," he said. "To me, that came back on my character. I don't care about a lot of opinions, if you like me or not. But that looked like my character was way out of line. So that's the only reason I addressed it."

Mayfield has a history of being open and honest about his opinion on other coaches and players. Last year, he called ex-Browns head coach Hue Jackson "fake," and he said this summer that he didn't like Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger.

"If I had a problem with someone, I'm pretty sure I've made it very clear I will say I have a problem with someone," Mayfield said.

"That's why I felt like reaching out to Daniel. That's the type of thing that frustrates me because it was taken out of context. And then on top of it now we're talking about something that's not about the Browns."

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I don't buy that at all. I live very close to Nashville. People move here from all over the country. I see fans of several NFL teams wearing their teams colors. Almost every single one of them wish me well. Say as fans we've earned it and talk about how much talent we have.

I think some Browns fans listen to the few who scream the loudest and don't get a real sense of what other fans really have to say.

Buy or don't buy whatever you want. Clearly, they know you're a Browns fan. The well-wishing may not be so profusive if that were not the case. I've seen plenty of detractors, and don't really care. Human nature is to tear down what has been built up. Many are just sick of the hype. I think some fans always believe they're right no matter what.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

This is clearly all the proof that is needed.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Has anyone seen this Sports Illustrated cover issue yet? I have looked over here and so far only College Preview issues w/the Ducks on the cover. It makes me nervous it could also be a regional print and we end up getting a Seahawks or Niners/Raiders issue up here.

Legend
Legend
For Baker to be so 'if its not orange and brown, it doesn't matter'... who cares how Daniels feels? You said what you said.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend

Quarterback Baker Mayfield discusses 2019 training camp, the third preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and addresses the out of context comments in the GQ article about Daniel Jones.

Chris Long On Baker Mayfield: Never Stop Talking | The Rich Eisen Show | 8/20/19

The Voice of REason: I Can See What Baker Is Saying in Context | The Rich Eisen Show | 8/20/19

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 08/21/19 10:35 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think almost everyone is agreeing that GQ weaved quotes from Baker together to make his comments sound worse than were. I believe Baker when he says that. I also believe him about him saying the thing about going number one.

With that said, he really shouldn't be saying stuff like it blew his mind that Jones went as high as he did. It serves no useful purpose and it leads to unwanted attention and distractions.

Similarly, OBJ has to let the NY thing go. Saying that it was personal on the New York's part and that they sent him to Cleveland to die is dumb and again, leads to unwanted attention and distractions.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
I agree with this. However, even you will admit about Baker - he will say what he wants when he wants and he DOES NOT backtrack his thoughts, no matter what you or I think about them. With that being said, if he said he was taken out of context - I would bet my house that he was taken out of context. If he meant to say "Jones sucks" - I don't think he would be shy about saying it. lol

Quote:
Victor Cruz, the former NY Giant WR, had a good point earlier today. He said he would let Baker and OBJ know he had their back, but would ask them to tone it down because he wouldn't want to have to deal w/the press asking him questions about what other guys said.

That seemed to be a popular sentiment w/former NFL players. It's rare for players to talk about other players and teams in a negative light.

Saying less is saying more.
And that would be Victor Cruz' type of personality. That's not Baker. That's not OBJ. ITs not going to happen, and that's fine. There is nothing wrong with that, they are just cut from a different cloth. Why should they conform to what you and others think they should?

Also, its disengenous to hint that they are not focused on football like you did, simply because they answered a question. You are hinting at something (that they are not focused or prepared) because they took 30 seconds to answer a question that was asked of them when they were supposed to be answering questions.

When giving an interview, the REAL point is to be yourself, and be as candid and truthful as possible. I for one am tired of cookie cutter clichés and find it a breath of fresh air someone is actually being themselves and answer questions. I would feel that way about Baker, or even Roethlisberger if he did (hes the king of clichés though). Has nothing to do with the fact Baker plays for the browns. I want to hear the truth, I am not offended by it.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
For Baker to be so 'if its not orange and brown, it doesn't matter'... who cares how Daniels feels? You said what you said.
Because its not what he said. I would be jacked too if someone took my words and twisted them to create controversy.

BTW, Hue is not here anymore - you can change your signature. Hes a bum and the only turn around in sports history was when we canned him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have already said that I think GQ twisted Baker's words around. I think they combined a couple of different comments to make it look worse than they actually were.

Also, I want to say that Cruz is not the only one saying. A lot of former players have said similar things. The message is that it's not wise to draw unneeded attention to you or your team because of the distractions and consequences that accompany such things.

This is nothing new. Coaches have been telling their players to not draw unwanted attention to their teams for more years than ever.

Hopefully, Baker and OBJ learn from this.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I have already said that I think GQ twisted Baker's words around. I think they combined a couple of different comments to make it look worse than they actually were.

Also, I want to say that Cruz is not the only one saying. A lot of former players have said similar things. The message is that it's not wise to draw unneeded attention to you or your team because of the distractions and consequences that accompany such things.

This is nothing new. Coaches have been telling their players to not draw unwanted attention to their teams for more years than ever.

Hopefully, Baker and OBJ learn from this.
I did see that, but it was after my post. Coaches and teachers have been telling their players to not make comments or assumptions about people until all the facts are out. You did here, before the facts were out. Hopefully you learn form this.

Once again, these kids are 40 ish years younger than you - give or take. Personalities change over time, over decades. Maybe they will, maybe they will not. The only coach that matters right now is his coach, Freddie. And he doesn't have a problem with it. Its not your place or mine to judge them or how they behave.

Once again, you still have addressed how answering an article question says they are not focused on football. I believe you were way off base on that comment, and were trying to be passively aggressive towards them because you have an agenda against. It was a bad take, a horrible thing to try to do, and I don't think it was fair or at the least bit accurate.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not going down that road w/you. Let's leave it at I'm a horrible person. Have a nice day.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I am not going down that road w/you. Let's leave it at I'm a horrible person. Have a nice day.
Your words not mine.

But you do you. You make a comment about them not being focused on football, get called out on the comment and asked to explain that comment, and when you cant - you take your ball and go home.

Ill give you the chance to answer the question again - How is answering questions in an interview not focusing on football?

Is Tom Brady not focused when hes at a podium answering questions, or giving interviews? Is Tom not focused because he has a twitter or does YouTube videos, or has TB12?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Because its not what he said. I would be jacked too if someone took my words and twisted them to create controversy.

BTW, Hue is not here anymore - you can change your signature. Hes a bum and the only turn around in sports history was when we canned him.

Regardless of how they twisted it, he still said He can't believe they drafted him. If situation was reversed, and someone was talking about Baker, he'd still feel slighted that the comment even came out of whoevers mouth.

And I'm well aware Hue is not here anymore. I'll change my sig when I feel like changing it. It'll continue to bless the board for now.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
It did not sound the least bit stupid . Every team has a “bullseye” every week because the team across from you “wants to beat your ass”. Pretty simple actually.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Our opinions differ. I thought it sounded stupid. That opinion won't change. I'm sure yours won't either. I'm good w/that.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Regardless of how they twisted it, he still said He can't believe they drafted him.
Lol, no not in the least bit. It was proven they took two quotes and mashed them together. It was a hit But carry on with the hate.

Legend
Legend
Just read the title of this thread. This is why everything they say will be reworked, distorted, taken out of context, etc... because they are the next big thing.

In Baker's case he has been candid to a fault, still with heart firmly planted on his sleeve. I don't fault him for that, but he will learn some lessons. In the case of the GQ thing, he's got to be a little hot under the collar... That writer just burned his bridge, but it doesn't matter, because he's not a sports writer anyway. Those are the snakes you really have to watch out for -- the ones that can strike once and never have to worry about the repercussions. It's not like GQ has a sports section and a large contingent of people who will now boycott, it's not like the the average reader even knows or cares that Baker is twisted, everybody loves dirt. The writer has been getting high-fives all around the building, not for how well he crafted the article, for the ensuing effects and how well he crafted the lie.

That's how the game is played and Baker will learn and adjust accordingly. He already has in some ways. Last year he was rude with Grossi, this year he's been different. Watched the interview explaining his reaching out to Jones... Tony asks later about how he got the jersey number "6" and what it means to him. His response begins with "Tony, I'm just happy to have a jersey" and a snicker on his face. It was perfect, in effect, without being rude, Tony was firmly on the "undraftable" bandwagon.

Baker passed this test with flying colors. His reaching out to Daniel, giving context to the real story, and tacking on the disclaimer "this will be the only time I respond to this" was perfect. I'm sure he learned a lesson as well -- that he needs to choose words very carefully when talking about other players. I find it funny that other players are talking about Baker and saying he shouldn't be talking about other players, talk about irony.

Baker, Odell, the Browns in general rock product, they sell copies, anything you can take from them and create a headline is pure gold right now. Knowing the motives of these writers and reporters is important. "Being yourself" and "speaking your mind", without giving them fuel for any fire they may intend to start is a fine line.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Behind Baker and OBJ, the Browns Are Ready to Become the NFL’s Next Big Thing

Link Copied to Clipboard