Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
If he feels that not playing the starters is the best way to ensure they are ready Week 1, I'm all for it - if it works.

Both sitting and not sitting players works.

Andy Reid plays his guys a lot in the preseason, here is week three from the 2018 preseason for the Chiefs:

https://tinyurl.com/y6plonac

Most of their top players played a significant portion of the game.

Here is week three from the 2018 preseason for the Rams:

https://tinyurl.com/y2c4gouy

Not one player of significance even took one snap.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The lovely MKC mentioned to the fans at TC today that she doubts players, like Baker, Chubb, Jarvis, OBJ, Myles, Ward etc... will play in this (3rd) preseason game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
The lovely MKC mentioned to the fans at TC today that she doubts players, like Baker, Chubb, Jarvis, OBJ, Myles, Ward etc... will play in this (3rd) preseason game.

The bottomline is this -- know your team.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Of course. No need to follow the status quo.

Legend
Legend
Yep ... I always view coaching as being a jockey. Every horse is different and nobody knows the horse like the jockey. If you have to ease up for best results you do it .. or vice versa.
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
rofl

rofl

rofl

D
Legend
Legend
D
Freddies with these guys everyday ... he knows what he’s doing and he knows what HIS TEAM NEEDS ... I trust Freddie and am not going to second guess him over the amount of time he plays his starters in this or any other pre-season game ....

They’ve had a tough physical camp .. Freddies put them in tough situations throughout to prepare then as best they can ... he PREPARED them for the last 3 weeks ... IF playing a half this weeks gonna make or break how we come out in week 1 ... Freddie has not done his job ....

No one knows this team better than Freddie ... and i mean NO ONE ...

FREDDIE IS READY ... thumbsup

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Yea tab...

I'm afraid pre-season is a necessary evil.

Nobody likes injuries. But we are in a different era. In my era if you were hurting it was "SUCK IT UP" and if you didn't you were considered a Ussy of some sort. I remember playing the last half of a season (LG on O and ILB on D) in HS with 3 ribs. They cut out the foam from a dummy and covered my ribs with that along with a lot of tape. Played the rest of the season like that. I did not go to the doctors possibly one or more were Fractured??? Didn't go cause if I went I would not be able to play until I would get the Doctor's consent.

But that was HS but in yesteryears even with the NFL players it was much the same. Now basically only the OL plays hurt. Coaches are more diligent to look after the player as many players would not want to come out either for the love of the game or fear of losing their position.

As for this game: Yeah I went ahead in my guide and saw that coverage I think started at 7pm for our Game making it LIVE. But being that it is at TAMPA that means we or I not in the Cleveland TV area will have to stomach the incompetent call of the game by TAMPA Announcers. Preseason expecially as we got 80+ players and I don't know all the numbers. When a play is made I need the announcers to at least recognize what Browns made the tackle...instead they Yap n Yap about their players ignoring anything the Browns do. Hopefully NFL Network gives them directions to call the game attentive to both teams not just Tampa!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
So you are going to ridicule anyone who dares to question Freddie because you know he is ready.

Look, I am not saying that this will be a mistake. I am saying it could be a mistake. I don't think anyone is making a big deal about it, but it is worth discussing w/out you acting like we are clueless.

Btw----------can you provide some examples that show successful examples of Freddie preparing his team for the season while be the head coach of that team?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Heck my point was much simpler than any of that. We both know the HC ends up being the fall guy for anything and everything that can or does possibly goes wrong.

My point is that it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

If you play your starters for the first half or a little longer and you have injuries occur to your starters, many fans will be like, "Why the hell did he have them out there!?"

If you don't play them in game three and they don't come out firing on all cylinders many fans will be like, "Why the hell didn't he play them in game three!? We have so many new players they should have gotten more work together!"

We've seen it far too often around here.

I didn't know that was funny. But the previous poster had brought up one of the scenarios and I simply brought up the other one where Freddie may end up taking flack no matter which decision he makes.

In our first game we will be facing the titans defense. That's no joke.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
rofl

rofl

rofl

roflrofl

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Btw----------can you provide some examples that show successful examples of Freddie preparing his team for the season while be the head coach of that team?
Well, that was just silly...

That said, I'm also a little curious that Freddie doesn't feel the need to get his starters in a truer game environment. There's lots of new people, and more importantly, there are new coordinators and systems (I'm talking more about the D than the O, here). In the end, Freddie has the best feel for how the team is coming along...

Also, maybe the offense gelling is just something that would take longer than the duration of TC and preseason, so he's just kinda like, "screw it, might as well prevent injuries and work on this during the season, since it'll take that long anyway". I dunno. I gotta just trust in Freddie, because that's who Dorsey picked to coach the team.

The last line pretty much is where I'm at.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think it was silly. It's not as silly as claiming folks can't judge his moves because "Freddie is Ready" and is a guaranteed great coach.

Look, I'm NOT saying that resting all the starters is a bad idea. I'm saying that we have a lot of new pieces and that the speed of game-action is never matched in NFL practices. Dudes are almost always going 3/4 speed or less and most of the time, guys are not tackling guys to the ground, thus they ease up even in pass defense. Timing is critical to a team's success.

We might not miss a beat and come out firing. However, if the team gets off to a shaky start and some of the guys are not on the same page, then Freddie will be questioned.

I don't think that is absurd. I don't think it's silly. I don't think it's hilarious. It's just football talk.

O
Legend
Legend
O
You asked for examples of a guy making a certain decision as a head coach that's never been a HC before. There are no examples, simply because he's never been a HC. That IS silly. If you did that unintentionally, then it was unintentionally silly.

Aside from that, I actually completely agree with you. The only potential explanation I can come up with was my guess that the gelling process was going to stretch into the regular season regardless... and he's chosen to take his lumps in the interest of getting all his players to week 1 healthy.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Learn to read.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am going to reply to you one last time to say what I said was not silly if you take it in the intended context.

Diam is acting/saying like Freddie can't be questioned. He is acting like he is already a great HC. Do you comprehend that?

Thus, I brought up the point that the dude has no HC experience, so it is "silly" to pretend that he is a great HC and can't be questioned.

Get it?

If not.........LOL........I'm done either way. Y'all blow my mind more often than not.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Eh, I think Freddie is acting like he IS the head coach, which, coincidentally, he is.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I really have no idea how your quote relates to what I was saying. Seriously. I don't.

Of course he is the HC. Of course, he has the right to choose how he approaches things. It's his team.

I am simply saying that he has not been a HC before, thus I think Diam is off-base when he acts like Freddie can't be questioned regarding his strategy.

Hell, I am not even saying it is the wrong strategy. Things get so turned around on this board. I AM SAYING that if the team gets off to a slow start that he will be questioned. That isn't a hysterically stupid statement. I yi yi yi.

D
Legend
Legend
D

Diam is acting/saying like Freddie can't be questioned. He is acting like he is already a great HC. Do you comprehend that?

rofl

V
Legend
Legend
V
All right, bro. I see the game you are playing. Just remember, you started it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Anyone remember this headline?

Quote:
Odell Beckham Jr. says once he and Baker Mayfield get on the same page 'it’s going to be scary’

I don't know.......but one might read that and think that they are not on the same page at this point in time. Yet, some think that it is hysterically funny to wonder if them playing about a half in a preseason game is a good idea.

Legend
Legend
I'm indifferent about seeing the true starters play in Game 3. I'd love to see them play just for the sake of it, as it of course would give us some indication of how the offense is coming along in real time. However, if they don't play, I don't think its gonna be a deal breaker as to any additional chemistry it may create as we start the regular season.

I'm on the side of playing it more safe than sorry, which also gives me a chance to say I don't think the NFL needs 4 preseason games. Max 3, but 2 is ideal. It'll suck for the guys on the bubble, but it is what it is.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I would prefer they play.

I'll compromise and say 2 pre season games are enough.

But it is really bad football to watch. The starters rarely play if at all.

Unwatchable as far as I'm concerned.

I would say 3 is good.. first one the proposed starters get a series or two then the backups play the rest of the game to try to earn more time... second one starters get more of the first half and anybody who is rising gets some reps with the 1s... by the third one your top 40+ spots are set so starters rest and everybody agrees it's just back-ups who are fighting for spots on the team (or another team)..

As far as charging full price for any of these games.. c'mon man...

I have to admit though, I hope the starters play a while in this game since I'm going...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I am going to reply to you one last time to say what I said was not silly if you take it in the intended context.

Thus, I brought up the point that the dude has no HC experience, so it is "silly" to pretend that he is a great HC and can't be questioned.

Get it?

If not.........LOL........I'm done either way. Y'all blow my mind more often than not.

George Halas wasn't a head coach, until he was

Bill Belichick wasn't a head coach, until he was

Paul Brown wasn't a head coach, until he was

Hue Jackson wasn't a head coach,until he was

Point being, it's virtually impossible to say who will shine and who will fade.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Point being, it's virtually impossible to say who will shine and who will fade.

Yes, that was my point.

Legend
Legend
There seems to be an echo in here. Is the lovely MKC invited to the Island? I think MG is sick? They all sit according to her. Quite a list.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
If she’s a dawg ... she’s invited ... ALL DAWGS WELCOME ... thumbsup

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
In 1955, the Browns played 6 preseason games.

Browns lost 5 of them. They went 1-5 in the preseason.

Then won the 1955 NFL Championship.

Legend
Legend
6 preseason games seems a bit much lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
6 preseason games seems a bit much lol

Yeah, no kiddin'.

That was half as long as the regular season. (the regular season back then was only 12 games - The Browns went 9-2-1)

V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, Freddie said the starters are going to play against Tampa Bay and not play in the final preseason game.

rofl

D
Legend
Legend
D
I said i’d trust whatever he did ... yet for some reason your claiming victory ...

but what should i expect from u at this point ... you’ve put words in my mouth the entire thread ... and that was just from reading your replies to others .. this is the first reply you’ve made directly to me i’ve read .. can’t imagine how classy u were in your replies to me ...

good job ... thumbsup

V
Legend
Legend
V
No Diam. You started this. Laughing hysterically because some of us said Freddie might get questioned. Pretending that Freddie can't be questioned. You replied to me w/your hysterical laughing emoji. Multiple times. Now, you are playing victim.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I thought it was excellent preparation for our Number one offense to simulate a 2 minute drill even though it was just our first series. This way all knowing that they were only going to be together for one series they were able to get a good scrimmage feedback of a 2 minute drill. That was very BB like and I think Kitchens has kept hitting at its fullest and will have our team ready for that first game.

For a first time HC Kitchens is showing that he absorbed a lot from some very good coaches and has a good account of what he wants within the parameters given to the NFL.

And as Diam says, he has excellent knowledge of all our players and what we don't see is the coaches meetings assessing their specific positional battles. I'm also SURE that Kitchens is spending a lot of time watching film of practice and these preseason scrimmages called GAMES by the NFL.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
What kind of response do you expect from several of these..... rofl... as your only reply to others?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
That is a lot, but in those days players camp to camp after leaving the job of driving cabs or working in a car lot.

They did need the training and practice.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I liked purp’s the best ... it made me rofl ...

and his 2nd one was even better ... thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
I was just saying that when it appears that you're openly mocking others without offering any actual input, you have to expect some snarky responses.

You've been around long enough to know that. I don't care how you post or what you post. I don't try to be the board police that way. You're a lot like me to the point that you really don't give a damn what other people think about what you post.

I'm just sayin' wink

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc....

There comes a point where some don't have anything to complain about...and maybe this ( rofl ) is the best response.

New coach with maybe a different approach toward preseason games and playing starters...what is there to debate?

Until we see something that gives us reason to debate the issue, why pound a keyboard just to discuss hypothetical situations that might not materialize.

Fred's the HC...I'm happy... grin thumbsup

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Truth.

There isn't much to debate with it. I only care that we come out ready to play Week 1; I do not care at all what it takes for that to happen.

Yes, I want to see what this team looks like and full strength and I'm tired of waiting for that, but I don't need to see it... but, I do need them to be fully up to speed Week 1.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Buccaneers 13 Looking ahead at Tampa

Link Copied to Clipboard