Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was listening to this album last night.

There was a time when Rod Stewart was cool.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Sabbath did a great job of conveying through music what growing up in Birmingham was like.
Iommi sledge hammer playing echoed the factories
Ozzys vocals sounded like desperation of a thousand voices.
Yeah Bill.Ward and Terrence Butler were as tight as
Any rythym section in rock.
Sabbath lyrically were deep.
They had close ties to Zepplin.
Iommi and Bonham were best friends.
Robert Plant knocked down drinks with Sabbath.
And Zep was from the Midlands area.
Zepplin even wanted Sabbath to jump over to Swan Song records in 1974.
But Sabbath had really underhanded management.
The best Sabbath is their Sabotage album and Vol.4
Give it a spin.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Sabbath did a great job of conveying through music what growing up in Birmingham was like.
Iommi sledge hammer playing echoed the factories
Ozzys vocals sounded like desperation of a thousand voices.
Yeah Bill.Ward and Terrence Butler were as tight as
Any rythym section in rock.
Sabbath lyrically were deep.
They had close ties to Zepplin.
Iommi and Bonham were best friends.
Robert Plant knocked down drinks with Sabbath.
And Zep was from the Midlands area.
Zepplin even wanted Sabbath to jump over to Swan Song records in 1974.
But Sabbath had really underhanded management.
The best Sabbath is their Sabotage album and Vol.4
Give it a spin.

I agree regarding "Sabotage" and ""Vol.4".

"Hole in the Sky" and "Tomorrow's Dream" are two of my favorite tracks.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'll just say that sometimes people think that exposure is king. And it is true that the great bands who get the most exposure have the greatest influence simply for the fact that you can't influence people when nobody hears you.

Velvet Underground are a band who were relatively obscure in their day. They have since influenced countless bands and generations and are far more popular and well known today than they ever were in their day. So, I'm not sure if I totally agree with your comment above. Of course, I understand that exposure means people hearing you, which translates to potentially more people being inspired by you. But, anybody who listens to your song doesn't translate to inspiration. However, anybody who is remotely interested or inspired and curious about music will find those smaller bands, obscure artists and those musicians can eventually be a massive influence on an entire generation (ex. Kurt Cobain was greatly inspired by The Vasolines. Not many have probably heard them, however, they inspired many artists and none much bigger than Nirvana. The average Nirvana fan may not care about the Vasolines but the obsessive music fan who finds about them via Nirvana will search them out and their legacy will continue to inspire for generations).

Nick Drake is another example. He sold zilch in his day and it was a huge burden on him to the point that it was detrimental to his already ill mental health and eventually led him over the edge. These days he is recognized as one of the greatest singer songwriters of the time and has influenced many.

Let's not forget...Van Gogh was also not popular in his day. He has since had quite the influence on multiple generations.

So, I don't buy that popularity and exposure means you are more influential. Some bands who sold a ton and were mega popular in their day may get only a footnote (ex. Styx, Boston, Foreigner etc.), while an entire chapter could be written on the Velvet Underground and their mega influence on music even to this day.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I understand that threads evolve, but I posted these things in my initial post and was hoping we could stick to these topics. There is a ton to talk about w/in those parameters. I'll post them again and leave out the body of that initial post. I would appreciate it if we can please follow my requests. If that is not acceptable, so be it. I just thought I would try again because I truly despise when music threads become contentious and arguments break out such a subjective subject.

Quote:
I want this thread to be a "celebration of music" and not a contest of who knows the most. Thanks for playing along.

Quote:
I think that this thread could go in a couple of different directions at the same time.

--Discuss how great the albums/songs were of that year

--Share memories of when you were listening to an album/song of that particular year

--Share another year that you think was better

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Not to dismiss the premise, but we don’t knew what the list for the other years look like.

We could say 67, 68, 73, 75, or 77 as well.

Hey Charger. In my initial post, I said that it would be cool to post other years that you think were better than 1971. I still think that would be a cool idea.

We could compare/contrast different years. I would enjoy that conversation. I don't know if 1971 was the best year ever or not. That's why I put a question mark in the title. As I explained in my first post, I received a PM from another poster about the Fragile album from Yes. The dude who broke down Roundabout mentioned other albums or songs from 1971 and I was blown away by how great they were. I saw an article while looking for albums of that year that claimed 1971 was the best. So, I thought it would be a cool conversation.

I would like for someone to take the time [like I did] to look up the top songs/albums for other years so we can compare them. I think that would be fun.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I'll start with 1967, and the three that immediately spring to mind are:

Sgt. Pepper's, The Doors (self-titled debut) and Are You Experienced? (Hendrix).

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Sometimes hard to delineate Velvet Underground and Lou Reed.

Not this time.

David Bowie on backing vocals.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Wikipedia:

The year 1967 was an important one for psychedelic rock, and was famous for its "Summer of Love" in San Francisco. It saw major releases from The Beatles (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour), Small Faces ("Itchycoo Park"), Eric Burdon & The Animals (Winds of Change), Big Brother and The Holding Company (Big Brother and The Holding Company), The Doors (The Doors and Strange Days), Jefferson Airplane (Surrealistic Pillow and After Bathing at Baxter's), Moby Grape (Moby Grape), Traffic (Mr. Fantasy), Pink Floyd (The Piper at the Gates of Dawn), Love (Forever Changes), The Beach Boys (Smiley Smile), Cream (Disraeli Gears), The Byrds (Younger Than Yesterday), The Rolling Stones (Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request), The Who (The Who Sell Out), The Velvet Underground (The Velvet Underground & Nico), Procol Harum (Procol Harum), The Monkees (Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.), and The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Are You Experienced? and Axis: Bold As Love).

Edit: I always thought Hendrix's Bold as Love came out in '68. That's my favourite Hendrix album.

Last edited by lampdogg; 08/27/19 07:47 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I understand that threads evolve, but I posted these things in my initial post and was hoping we could stick to these topics. There is a ton to talk about w/in those parameters. I'll post them again and leave out the body of that initial post. I would appreciate it if we can please follow my requests. If that is not acceptable, so be it. I just thought I would try again because I truly despise when music threads become contentious and arguments break out such a subjective subject.

Quote:
I want this thread to be a "celebration of music" and not a contest of who knows the most. Thanks for playing along.

Quote:
I think that this thread could go in a couple of different directions at the same time.

--Share memories of when you were listening to an album/song of that particular year

We have been sticking to the "parameters". We are discussing music, and in particular 1971. Nobody is competing....we are discussing all of the below topics and then some.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks lamp. That was a good year. Just my opinion, but it falls short of 1971 in my mind. But again, thanks for sharing.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Quote:

Quote:

The issue with posting these "parameters" and then putting the following bullet points means that as soon as somebody chimes in you will think they are competing. How did you run socratic seminars in your classroom? Or, did you not allow them to happen?

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think it falls short of 1971 also, but not by much.

I'm not sure there is another year that could compare to those two but again, that's a subjective thing.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, it was a great year and I am thankful that you are trying to help me get the thread back on track.

Check out this article about Music's Greatest Years. Interestingly enough, it's from Cleveland.com. I have to just provide the link because it is pretty long.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2017/09/the_15_greatest_years_in_music.html

Btw-----------I was clicking around just now and all these sites have different years at the top. I found some surprising. '67, '69, and '71 were on almost every list.

I also think 1973 was a great year. It had Dark Side of the Moon, which is the greatest album of all-time in my opinion.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I know I am being ignored by Vers because he doesn't like when others chimes in on his threads and they turn into dialogues that he feels left out of, but I have to point out the irony in this. Vers posted this:

Quote:

Yet, in the Pure Football thread he said this to WSU Willie:

Quote:
but dawg, those comments were not "spot on" and whether you like it or not, I know more about the game than you do.

C'MON ON, DAWG!? Even you can see the irony in this, right? Anyway, whatevs.

I think 1966/67, 1977(punk), 1987(rap) and 1990/1991 could all be discussed as hugely significant years in popular music. The 60s were a great decade but so were the 90s and even just before it ('87-99). As Grace Slick once said...every 10 years or so you need something to come in and really take risks and change it up.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I am going to post that article because I think it is a pretty good list and I doubt many will click on the link.

Quote:

15 greatest years in music history

By Troy L. Smith, Cleveland.com
0 shares

What is the greatest all around year in music history?

Troy L. Smith, Cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio – What’s in a year? When it comes to music … A lot!

Looking back on the greatest albums, performances, influential moments and singles in history is like taking a stroll through a yearbook.

Some years were better than others. But they all contained something special.

Our list ranks the 15 overall best years in music history. No year from the 21s Century made the cut, while the 1950s (when rock and roll was invented) failed to yield a complete calendar year that could hold up to the album era that began during 1960s.

1. 1969

There was this festival called Woodstock. Landmark releases from The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Jackson 5, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, Neil Young (with Crazy Horse) and The Who. Led Zeppelin released its first two albums. Releases of “In the Court of the Crimson King,” possibly the greatest progressive rock album of its era, along with live albums from Johnny Cash, Grateful Dead and Elvis. David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” came out in time for the Apollo 11 moon landing. The Stooges and MC5 laid the groundwork for punk rock. Creedence Clearwater Revival released three albums.

Notable albums: Led Zeppelin – "Led Zeppelin"/Led Zeppelin II;" The Beatles – "Abbey Road;" The Rolling Stones – "Let It Bleed;" Creedence Clearwater Revival – "Green River;" The Who – "Tommy;" King Crimson – "In the Court of the Crimson King;" Captain Beefheart – "Trout Mask Replica;" Neil Young – "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere;" Isaac Hayes – "Hot Buttered Soul;" Dusty Springfield – "Dusty in Memphis;" MC5 – "Kick Out The Jams;" Santana – "Santana;" The Stooges – "The Stooges;" " Bob Dylan – "Nashville Sky"

2. 1971

Allman Brothers record “At Fillmore East.” Jim Morrison dies. Grand Funk Railroad plays Shea Stadium. The Who release “Who’s Next.” Led Zeppelin releases “Led Zeppelin VI.” Bob Dylan plays a surprise New Year’s Eve performance with The Band. Marvin Gaye revolutionizes R&B.

Notable albums: Led Zeppelin – "Led Zeppelin IV;" Joni Mitchell – "Blue" The Who – "Who's Next;" Marvin Gaye – "What's Going On;" The Allman Brothers – "At Fillmore East;" Carole King – "Tapestry;" David Bowie – "Hunky Dory;" The Rolling Stones – "Sticky Fingers;" Black Sabbath – "Master of Reality;" Sly & the Family Stone – "There's a Riot Goin' On;" Yes – "The Yes Album" and "Fragile;" John Lennon – "Imagine;" Jethro Tull – "Aqualung;" Funkadelic – "Maggot Brain"

3. 1991

The grunge-rock revolution. My Bloody Valentine’s “Loveless,” perhaps, the most important indie-rock record of the 1990s. Iconic metal and hip-hop releases. The first Lollapalooza. Red Hot Chili Peppers first classic album. Guns N’ Roses release their “Use Your Illusion” series. U2’s career comeback album.

Notable albums: Nirvana – "Nevermind;" Pearl Jam – "Ten;" U2 – "Achtung Baby;" My Bloody Valentine – "Loveless;" "R.E.M. – "Out of Time;" Michael Jackson – "Dangerous;" Metallica – "The Black Album;" Guns N' Roses – "Use Your Illusion I & II;" Red Hot Chili Peppers – "Blood Sugar Sex Magik;" A Tribe Called Quest – "The Low End Theory;" Soundgarden – "Badmotorfinger;" De La Soul – "De La Soul Is Dead;" Primal Scream – "Screamadelica;" Massive Attack – "Blue Lines;" Ice Cube – "Death Certificate"

4. 1967

The Summer of Love. The Beatles release “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” and “Magical Mystery Tour.” Landmark albums from Love, The Doors, Cream, The Byrds, Big Brother and the Holding Company and The Who. The Jimi Hendrix Experience released two classics. The Velvet Underground goes proto-punk with “The Velvet Underground & Nico.”

Notable albums: The Beatles – "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band;" The Velvet Underground – "The Velvet Underground & Nico;" The Doors – "The Doors," Love – "Forever Change;" The Jimi Hendrix Experience – "Axis: Bold As Love" and "Are You Experienced;" Leonard Cohen – "Songs of Leonard Cohen;" Cream – "Disraeli Gears;" Moody Blues – "Days of Future Passed;" Aretha Franklin – "I Never Loved a Man The Way I Love You;" The Who – "The Who Sell Out"

5. 1970

The best of times and the worst of times. The Beatles, The Doors, Simon & Garfunkel and The Supremes broke up. Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin died. Black Sabbath made its debut. The Who and Grateful Dead played iconic live shows. Miles Davis redefined jazz. Clapton reached new heights with Derek and the Dominos. John Lennon, George Harrison and Paul McCartney released solo albums.

Notable albums: The Beatles – "Let It Be;" Miles Davis – "Bitches Brew;" Black Sabbath – "Black Sabbath" and "Paranoid;" Neil Young – "After The Gold Rush;" Simon & Garfunkel – "Bridge Over Troubled Water;" The Stooges – "Fun House;" John Lennon – "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band;" Led Zeppelin – "Led Zeppelin III;" Van Morrison – "Moondance;" George Harrison – "All Things Must Pass;" Derek and the Dominos – "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs"

6. 1968

Johnny Cash plays Folsom Prison. Several artists dedicate songs to Martin Luther King Jr., who was assassinated. The Beatles release The White Album. Jeff Beck Group releases first album featuring Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood. Led Zeppelin debuts. Cream plays farewell show.

Notable albums: The Beatles – "The Beatles;" Van Morrison – "Astral Weeks;" Johnny Cash – "At Folsom Prison;" The Rolling Stones – "Beggars Banquet;" The Jimi Hendrix Experience – "Electric Ladyland;" Simon & Garfunkel – "Bookends;" The Band – "Music from Big Pink;" The Zombies – "Odessey and Oracle;" Big Brother and the Holding Company – "Cheap Thrills;" Aretha Franklin – "Lady Soul;" The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat;" Dr. John – "Gris-Gris;" Laura Nyro – "Eli and The Thirteenth Confession"

7. 1984

Prince releases “Purple Rain.” The music video for “Thriller” debuts on MTV. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi break through. Madonna releases “Like a Virgin.” Monster albums from Bruce Springsteen, Van Halen and Tina Turner. Influential works from Metallica, The Smiths and The Replacements. Band Aid records “Do They Know It’s Christmas?”

Notable albums: Prince – "Purple Rain;" Bruce Springsteen – "Born in the U.S.A.;" Echo & the Bunnymen – "Ocean Rain;" Van Halen – "1984;" Husker Du – "Zen Arcade;" Sade – "Diamond Life;" The Replacements – "Let It Be;" U2 – "The Unforgettable Fire;" Metallica – "Ride The Lightning;" The Smiths – "The Smiths;" Bob Marley – "Legend;" Madonna – "Like a Virgin;" Tina Turner – "Private Dancer"

8. 1973

Bruce Springsteen releases his first two albums. Elton John experiences his career peak. Marvin Gaye release his sexual magnum opus “Let’s Get It On.” New York Dolls lead the way with glam punk. Pink Floyd’s “The Dark Side of the Moon” takes over the world.

Notable albums: Pink Floyd – "The Dark Side of the Moon;" Stevie Wonder – "Innervisions;" The Stooges – "Raw Power;" Elton John – "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road;" Led Zeppelin – "Houses of the Holy;" The Who – "Quadrophenia;" Bruce Springsteen – "The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle" and "Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.;" Genesis – "Selling England by the Pound;" Paul McCartney & Wings – "Band on the Run;" New York Dolls – "New York Dolls"

9. 1977

Elvis dies. The Roxy opens in London. Fleetwood Mac releases “Rumours.” Sid Vicious joins Sex Pistols. Donna Summer releases breakthrough dance track “I Feel Love.” “Saturday Night Fever” opens in theaters. The Police, Devo, Van Halen and Midnight Oil land record deals.

Notable albums: The Clash – "The Clash" Fleetwood Mac – "Rumours;" Sex Pistols – "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols;" Television – "Marquee Moon;" Elvis Costello – "My Aim Is True;" David Bowie – "Low" and "Heroes;" Iggy Pop – "The Idiot;" Brian Eno – "Before and After Science;" Kraftwerk – "Trans-Europe Express;" Billy Joel – "The Stranger;" Meat Loaf – "Bat Out of Hell;" Pink Floyd – "Animals;" "Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack;" Eric Clapton – "Slowhand"

10. 1966

Jimmy Page takes over lead guitar for the Yardbirds. Simon & Garfunkel release “Sounds of Silence.” The Beach Boys unleash “Pet Sounds,” while Brian Wilson starts the “Smile” sessions. The Beatles release “Revolver.” Bob Dylan goes “Blonde on Blonde.”

Notable albums: The Beatles – "Revolver;" Beach Boys – "Pet Sounds;" Bob Dylan – "Blonde on Blonde;" Simon & Garfunkel – "Sounds of Silence;" Rolling Stones – "Aftermath;" The 13th Floor Elevators – "The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators;" The Kings – "Face to Face;" John Coltrane – "Ascension"

11. 1994

Green Day and The Offspring kickstart pop punk. Beastie Boys become alt-rock star. Nine Inch Nails push industrial rock forward. Nas releases the greatest hip-hop album of all time. Oasis and Blur become the biggest thing in England since the Beatles. Nirvana goes unplugged. Notorious B.I.G. releases his debut.

Notable albums: Nine Inch Nails – 'The Downward Spiral;" Nas – "Illmatic;" Green Day – "Dookie;" Jeff Buckley – "Grace;" Notorious B.I.G. – "Ready to Die;" Oasis – "Definitely Maybe;" Nirvana – "MTV Unplugged in New York;" Beastie Boys – "Ill Communication;" Pearl Jam – "Vitalogy;" Weezer – Weezer;" Pavement – "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain;" Hole – "Live Through This;" Soundgarden – "Superunknown;" Johnny Cash – "American Recordings;" Portishead – "Dummy;" The Offspring – "Smash"

12. 1965

A prolific year for the Beatles and Dylan. Motown lands No.1 hits with “My Girl” and “Stop! In the Name of Love.” The Rolling Stones create “Satisfaction.” The Who release “My Generation.” Vince Guaraldi Trio composes score for “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”

Notable albums: Bob Dylan – "Highway 61 Revisited" and Bringing It All Back Home;" The Beatles – "Rubber Soul" and "Help;" John Coltrane – "A Love Supreme;" Otis Redding – "Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul;" B.B. King – "Live at the Regal"

13. 1978

The Police and Van Halen release their debut albums. The Rolling Stones release their best-selling album. Talking Heads and Elvis Costello reach perfection. Sex Pistols play final show. Keith Moon dies. Debbie Harry becomes a star.

Notable albums: Talking Heads – "More Songs About Buildings and Food;" Bruce Springsteen – "Darkness on the Edge of Town;" The Rolling Stones – "Some Girls;" Elvis Costello – "This Year's Model;" Devo – "Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!;" Blondie – "Parallel Lines;" Van Halen – "Van Halen;" Marvin Gaye – "Here, M7 Dead;" Chic – "C'est Chic"

14. 1982

Michael Jackson gives us “Thriller.” Springsteen mellows out on “Nebraska.” Iron Maiden become metal gods. Marvin Gaye makes a comeback. Roxy Music says goodbye. Prince creates the Minneapolis sound.

Notable albums: Michael Jackson – "Thriller;" Prince – "1999;" Lou Reed – "Blue Mask;" The Clash – "Combat Rock;" Bruce Springsteen – "Nebraska;" Kate Bush – "The Dreaming;" John Mellencamp – "American Fool;" Iron Maiden – "The Number of the Beast;" Marvin Gaye – "Midnight Love"

15. 1979

Joy Division pioneers post-punk and goth rock with “Unknown Pleasures.” Michael Jackson releases “Off the Wall.” Donna Disco dominates the charts. Black Sabbath fires Ozzy Osbourne. Pink Floyd releases the double-album “The Wall.” The Clash release “London Calling” in the UK.

Notable albums: Joy Division – "Unknown Pleasures;" AC/DC – "Highway to Hell;" Talking Heads – "Fear of Music;" Gang of Four – "Entertainment!;" Michael Jackson – "Off The Wall;" Fleetwood Mac – "Tusk;" Pink Floyd – "The Wall;" Tom Petty – "Damn The Torpedoes;" Van Halen – "Van Halen II;" Neil Young & Crazy Horse – "Rust Never Sleeps"

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2017/09/the_15_greatest_years_in_music.html

L
Legend
Legend
L
1991, with the explosion of grunge, was a year of change. I'm not a big fan of grunge but I've come to appreciate Nirvana much more than at I did at the time.

gmstrong

-----------------

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
1991, with the explosion of grunge, was a year of change. I'm not a big fan of grunge but I've come to appreciate Nirvana much more than at I did at the time.

Yeah, grunge in the States was exploding and in England they were still emerging out of shoegaze and grunge was starting to make an impact there too. The roots of Britpop would be sown.

1966/67 for the groundbreaking electrification of rock and the explorations happenign with music, sound all due to explorations with psychedelics, of course.

1977 for Punk and the winter of discontent in the UK. Like it or not, Punk changed music.

1987 saw the explosion of rap in the mainstream. 1991 had some notable rap releases too. Tribe Called Quest and Digable Planets come to mind, but also De La Soul. Arrested Development were still in the studio mixing "Three Years", but those early years of old school rap/hip hop are superb. So many nods, loops and samples of classic as well as obscure soul and funk.

All that said...the one genre of rock music that probably has the biggest impact and worldwide devotion/fans is probably heavy metal. So, if one takes popularity as a sign of influence (as we debated above and that made Vers po'd) then you can't deny Heavy Metal's influence.

And, we haven't even begun to discuss soul, R&B, blues or funk. Without any of those we wouldn't be having this conversation.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I am not saying I am a huge fan of all that music, but reading he 15 Greatest Years in Music article, I did have to note that 1984 had a lot of notable releases.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
1973 gets big praise from me for "Innervisions" by Stevie Wonder. Beautiful record and so hugely impactful for so many reasons.

L
Legend
Legend
L
That's a great article, thanks for posting.

gmstrong

-----------------

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... 1971: Musics Greatest Year?

Link Copied to Clipboard