Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Take them out of intensive care and cancer treatment facilities and SEND THEM BACK!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
SMH frown

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Fact Check: No, Donald Trump Did Not Decide to Deport Kids with Cancer

Joel Pollak / Breitbart News
Joel B. Pollak

30 Aug 2019

CLAIM: President Donald Trump is ending “a policy that allows migrants to not be deported while they or their family members receive life-saving medical treatments.”

VERDICT: False. There was never any such policy, and all the Trump administration is doing is moving discretion over individual cases from USCIS to ICE.

The media were abuzz Wednesday and Thursday with claims, such as the one quoted from The Hill, above, that Trump is so hell-bent on deporting people that he is even “deporting kids with cancer,” as Vanity Fair put it (adding that Trump was once again living down to comparisons to Adolf Hitler).

Former vice president Joe Biden seized on the news, and added it to his stump speech. He declared, for example, on Thursday night in Greenville, South Carolina:

In just the last few days, we’ve learned his newest target is children. I thought we’d hit the bottom. No! … He decided to take away automatic citizenship from the children of our military serving overseas. … Like every bully in history, he’s trying to make himself seem stronger by picking on the most vulnerable … I thought even he would understand that kids suffering from cancer, cystic fibrosis, and other diseases they can’t get treatment for in their countries were off limits. But like so many other things he’s said, cruelty seems to be the point. … They all have to be unplugged and gone. Ladies and gentlemen — Neuroblastoma! — I can’t imagine, if I had been an immigrant, my son Beau, when he came home from the war, and he ended up having stage 4 glioblastoma … and them telling me, “No, unplug him, send him home.” That’s what it is! That’s what he’s doing! And it’s immoral, and it’s wrong!

Everything about that statement is false.

Trump is not taking away birthright citizenship “from the children of our military serving overseas.” An NBC reporter had to issue a correction: “Experts who have looked at new USCIS [U.S. Citizenship and Immigrant Services] policy say it applies if a service member adopts a child overseas, but children born to service members on deployment would still automatically get citizenship.” (Evidently Joe Biden did not get that particular memo.)

Second, there is no existing policy of “special status” for medical deferment, according to sources who spoke to Breitbart News on background.

What has happened in the past is that illegal aliens — not legal “immigrants,” as Biden suggested — were able to apply to an adjudicator at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for deferment from deportation. The majority of “deferred action” requests were denied by USCIS. Now they will be considered by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), which is an enforcement agency (as USCIS is not).

The Associated Press cited letters sent to some Boston-area families ordering them to leave the country within 33 days. The letters apparently did not mention the shift in agency responsibilities. It is not yet clear what is happening in those cases, or why those individuals were not told about the shift from USCIS to ICE.

Nevertheless, what is happening to those individuals does not appear to be the result of a change in “special status” by Trump. Notably, the Associated Press refers to “immigrants” — not “illegal immigrants,” or even “undocumented” immigrants, obscuring the status of those affected (and perhaps frightening some legal immigrants).

People who want to travel to the U.S. for specialized care can still do so, legally, by applying via normal channels.

Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
I expect nothing less from Breitbart.

One report indicated that when a reporter contacted ICE, they responded "huh???"

We will see how this one goes, but it is pretty terrible.

It hit the NY times yesterday, so I think it will be on the blowhard's radar.

The letters said nothing about applying through other channels... you have 33 days to leave...

If you sort through the chaf, the children are not immigrants, they are citizens of other countries that are requesting a stay in the US for medical reasons, so whey this is an ICE issue and not a USCIS issue is a bit perplexing.

Last edited by ChargerDawg; 08/30/19 12:18 PM. Reason: additional comment.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Feds Can't Agree On Which Agency — If Any — Handles Medical Deportation Deferrals

Agencies within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have offered contradictory accounts of how requests to a humanitarian program known as medical deferred action are now being handled, and by whom — throwing the future of the decades-old program into question.

Massachusetts Rep. Ayanna Pressley said Wednesday she may call for a congressional oversight hearing into the status of medical deferred action after denial letters sent this week had many immigrants and advocates fearing the program's end.

"What's so troubling about this beyond the cruelty of it, is the lack of transparency around the process," Pressley, a Democrat, said. "There was no public comment period, not even a public announcement of this, and so I'm working with my colleagues to get answers and to urge this administration to change course."

Medical deferred action has historically allowed eligible migrants to extend their time in the U.S. in order to receive life-saving medical treatment that advocates say is often only available to them here.

Earlier this week, WBUR reported that Boston-area immigrants applying through the program received denial letters from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the agency that has long-handled such requests. According to the apparent form letters, USCIS field offices “no longer consider deferred action requests, except those made according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security policies for certain military members, enlistees, and their families.”

USCIS said this week that another agency — U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) — would now be handling those requests.

On Wednesday, however, ICE rejected this claim. An ICE official told WBUR that the agency was not informed by USCIS that USCIS would stop processing the deferral requests. "There is no program at ICE that's going to take over that function," the ICE official said.

"ICE is not going to implement any sort of a program or procedure or policy to take over that function," the ICE official said. "We'd like USCIS to clarify what they mean, and we're working collaboratively to get them to be a little more forthcoming about it."

ICE does consider administrative stay requests, a different process that allows the government to postpone deportation for a variety of reasons. People subject to removal from the U.S. can apply for a stay of up to one year, and there is an option to submit medical evidence as a reason for the request.

The denial letters sent from USCIS to applicants in Massachusetts did not reference administrative stays or say ICE would take up medical deferred action requests. The letters told families and individuals they must leave the country within 33 days.

Many of the people receiving these denials are in the middle of ongoing treatment for illnesses like cancer, epilepsy and HIV. If they don't leave the U.S. before the deadline, the letters warned, they could face removal and future requests to enter the country could be denied.

Legal advocates across the country have reported clients receiving similar letters — none of which mention USCIS' claim that requests will be processed by ICE.

The government has not issued any public notification about this change in policy but instead, in an email, told the American Immigration Lawyers Association:

"The change became effective on August 7, 2019. USCIS field offices are informing the public of the change in person on an individual basis."

Immigration experts estimate thousands of people across the U.S. may be affected. It's difficult to provide an exact number of recipients, because USCIS does not track approvals of deferred action based on type.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2019/08/28/ice-uscis-immigrants-medical-deferred-action

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
You can post all the Pro Trump propaganda that you want. This admin is a bunch of damn snakes. These folks got letters telling them they had 33 days to leave the country! I suppose that was made up or a lie too? GMAB

Disgusting.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
What I love about the crazy political sites....

They mention AP, The Hill and Vanity Fair.

The original sources are the Miami Herald, Boston Globe and WBUR out of Boston as well. The others were picking up the story.

Let's not mention the original source, but toss in the usual suspects so the we can bash them....

Legend
Legend
“Without notifying the public, the administration had stopped allowing certain immigrants to stay in the country to receive life-saving treatment, a policy shift that quietly went into effect on August 7. Now, caseworkers will reconsider some applications that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently denied, as long as they were pending on August 7.
The unexpected move by the administration on Labor Day could be a stopgap reprieve to some immigrants and their families who recently applied for the relief, known as deferred action, which is designed to shield immigrants with serious medical conditions and other extraordinary circumstances from deportation. Hundreds of sick immigrants have benefited from the program, including children with life-threatening health conditions. “

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/medical-def...ick-immigrants/

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Did I just read somewhere where Trump changed his mind about deporting sick kids?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Did I just read somewhere where Trump changed his mind about deporting sick kids?

Probably going to wait until people stop watching...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Probably going to wait until people stop watching...

And again the deplorable sheep will still support and vote for this kind of crap to happen.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
Looks like the fight from the left won this one today too. Trump admin reverses course under pressure and will now let these people stay.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Kids with cancer being deported too.

Link Copied to Clipboard