Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I was hoping someone else would start this, but kickoff is tomorrow at noon. Let's discuss the Buckeyes here and all the other also-rans on the College Football thread. LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One e is sufficient tongue

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
I’m looking forward to this year; it’ll be interesting to see what the squad looks like in a more modern offense IMO.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
FIRST THOUGHTS ON OHIO STATE'S OPENING WEEK DEPTH CHART

By Colin Hass-Hill on August 30, 2019

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-stat...eek-depth-chart

Just a little more than 24 hours before Ohio State kicks off its season at noon against Florida Atlantic, the Buckeyes released their Week 1 depth chart and a status report highlighting a number of injuries.

Jonathon Cooper, Taron Vincent, Rashod Berry and C.J. Saunders have already been ruled out for the season opener, and Demario McCall, Tyler Friday and Tyreke Smith are game-time decisions.

Now that we know who is sidelined for the first game and how the depth chart stacks up without them, we can break down what that might mean not only for the first game of the year, but for the rest of the season to come.

OFFENSIVE DEPTH CHART THOUGHTS

The faux starting quarterback mystery ended on Aug. 19 when Ryan Day announced Justin Fields as the starter. As the Buckeyes head into their first game, though, they still don’t have a clear backup at the position. Gunnar Hoak and Chris Chugunov are listed as co-backup quarterbacks. They’ll likely get chances to separate themselves early in the season late in games.

Demario McCall's roller-coaster of an Ohio State career continues. He’s a game-time decision for Saturday’s game. If he plays, he’ll likely serve as the backup running back behind J.K. Dobbins. But if he misses the opener? Master Teague has a chance to make up for the time he missed with an injury during preseason camp, and Marcus Crowley has a shot to show he deserves carries as a freshman. As much uncertainty as ever exists with McCall, and that has bled into the backup running back competition which now continues into the 2019 season.
Austin Mack and Chris Olave are both listed as co-starters at Z receiver, signaling a rotation at the position. Ohio State did not include Mack on Friday’s status report, meaning he has returned from an injury that held him out of multiple practices in preseason camp.

At the X receiver position, there could be a three-player rotation early in the season until somebody separates themselves from the rest of the pack. Ohio State named Binjimen Victor the sole starter, with Garrett Wilson and Jaylen Harris as co-backups. Given Wilson’s pedigree and skill set, it could be hard for Brian Hartline to keep him off the field as the season progresses, but he’ll have to show his skills early in the season in order to get to that point.
With C.J. Saunders missing the season opener with an undisclosed injury, opportunity awaits for Jaelen Gill. He’s the only backup to K.J. Hill at H-back on the Week 1 depth chart due to Saunders’ injury. Day has said he hopes to have a true rotation at H-back rather than relying on Hill to play the majority of snaps. Can Gill make a statement that he deserves the backup spot even when Saunders returns? We’ll be watching to see how he plays against Florida Atlantic.

Rashod Berry’s absence at tight end with an undisclosed injury opens up a path for Jeremy Ruckert to get more snaps as a second-year backup. Given the depth at the position, Ruckert might not get the opportunities necessary for a breakout season, but he now has an increased chance to prove in Week 1 that he deserves more targets as the season progresses. He might be the best pass-catcher at the position, and he only had one reception in 2018 as a freshman.

No surprises across the offensive line. It’s notable, though, that the Buckeyes listed Branden Bowen as the only starter at right tackle without Nicholas Petit-Frere as a co-starter. Day has mentioned Petit-Frere will play on Saturday, along with a couple other offensive linemen, but it appears that Bowen won the starting job outright.

Watch out for Harry Miller on the interior. With Jonah Jackson, Josh Myers and Wyatt Davis locking down left guard, center and right guard, respectively, he’ll have relatively limited opportunities. But Miller garnered consistent praise throughout preseason camp and is now positioned as the backup center as a true freshman.

K.J. Hill is the top punt returner, and McCall is No. 2. McCall and Olave are the co-starters at kick returner. Day, though, has mentioned he expects Wilson to serve as a returner on Saturday at times.

DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART THOUGHTS

Ohio State has touted its defensive end depth in recent years, and it will get tested on Saturday. Jonathon Cooper is out, and Tyler Friday and Tyreke Smith are game-time decisions. On the first depth chart of the season, Jashon Cornell bounced back to defensive end after spending the offseason transitioning from the edge to defensive tackle. He prefers to play 3-technique and believes he’s more effective in that role, so this move is likely temporary. Not an optimal situation.

Even with Cornell at defensive end, the Buckeyes will likely turn often to Zach Harrison and Javontae Jean-Baptiste on Saturday. Neither have played an in-game snap yet at the college level, and that will soon change.

How much depth does Ohio State have at defensive tackle? Its starting 3-technique, Cornell, moves to defensive end. Its starting nose tackle, Davon Hamilton, moves to the starter at 3-technique. Its backup 3-technique, Taron Vincent, misses the season opener with an injury. Yet there doesn’t seem to be a major issue at either defensive tackle spot. With Robert Landers and Tommy Togiai at nose tackle and Hamilton and Garrett likely to play the majority of meaningful snaps at 3-technique in Week 1, both positions appear to be solidified.

Ohio State clearly thinks highly of Togiai. The sophomore is listed as a co-starter with Landers, a fifth-year senior. If Hamilton eventually moves back to nose tackle, as expected, Togiai would be an overqualified third-stringer in line to start in 2020.

All three of last year’s starting linebackers are once again the starters to open the season. At middle linebacker, Ohio State has Tuf Borland and Baron Browning as co-starters.
Borland will likely start, but expect Browning to play more snaps this season than any other backup linebacker on the team. He had a strong fall camp.

Dallas Gant is listed as the third-string middle linebacker, and Teradja Mitchell is the backup weakside linebacker. That highlights just how interchangeable Ohio State views middle linebacker and weakside linebacker, which are referred to as the two inside linebacker positions. Malik Harrison, Browning, Borland, Mitchell and Gant can all play both inside linebacker positions.

Sevyn Banks and Cameron Brown, listed as the backups to Damon Arnette and Jeff Okudah, are the top two backups at outside cornerback. The team did not list Tyreke Johnson on the depth chart, likely because he missed time in preseason camp with an injury. However, Johnson was not listed on Friday’s status report, signaling he has returned to full health.

The team listed its two bullets – Brendon White and Jahsen Wint – as strong safeties. A few months ago, Jeff Hafley said that position should be viewed as a strong safety. However, in both spring and preseason camps, they practiced with the linebackers. It's not too important, but just a bit interesting how Ohio State lists White and Wint.

Jordan Fuller, as expected, will start at free safety. Behind him, Isaiah Pryor and Josh Proctor are co-backups. Proctor led the team in interceptions throughout fall camp, but he remains in a competition with Pryor.

Ohio State listed 12 positions on its defensive depth chart. That, well, isn't exactly possible. However, it highlights the multiple personnel packages Hafley and Greg Mattison plan to use this season.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
FAU is no slouch. Lane Kiffin gets legit talent there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I look forward to every OSU season. But I feel just the opposite. Urban was one of the most successful coaches in college football. I'm just hoping that Ryan Day can hold a candle to Urban or we're all in for a huge disappointment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I felt like Urban really excelled in two areas: recruiting and dealing with adverse situations (deficits on the road, team up against it, media scrutiny, etc) ... his teams were always clutch it seemed

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

S
Legend
Legend
S
Thanks for posting that. Man this team is stacked with talent on both sides of the ball.

Can't wait to watch tomorrow! It's awesome to see so much college ball on these last two days.

I really wish the NFL would get rid of dumb thursday night football, and let college kinda have that night back. Would love to see 2 really good games on thursday nights.

Legend
Legend
Excited to see how we look tomorrow

<><

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Go Irish!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Just kidding, I don't care.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
OK

Well, at least it's real football.

But the problem is if the Buckeyes don't win by at least two touchdowns, it's like a loss. (Buckeyes are 4 touchdown favorites)

If it's a close game or, if god forbid, the Owls somehow win, Buckeye national play-off aspirations are over in August.

I wanna see Buckeyes v. Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame.

At least there's Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State & Michigan coming up.

P
Legend
Legend
P
GO BUCKEYES smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Fields is faster than JT for sure

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
that was quick

M
Legend
Legend
M
Nice debut for Fields.

Three quick scores.

I should have taken Ohio State -28.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I didn't think it'd be possible to feel bad for Lane Kiffin, but here we are. lol

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
defense is extremely fast

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Legend
Legend
T
I know it's early 28-0 with 6:35 to go in the first.

They are on pace to score 160... 140?

S
Legend
Legend
S
YIKES

I know it's FAU, and not some ranked team, but Ohio State looks so freaking fast on both sides of the ball, damn

Legend
Legend
fields took a massive shot there

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
End of the 1st Quarter: Ohio State 28, FAU 0.

Spread for this game was Ohio State -27.5.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Total yards:

OSU 222
FA -43

shocked

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
“Come on, tighten it up, D!” — Guy in front of me after Florida Atlantic completes a 5-yard pass.

The completed pass upped FAU’s offensive output on the day to -24 yards

https://twitter.com/JeffSvoboda/status/1167851066895011841

#gmSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Florida Atlantic wins second quarter 3-0.

What a disgrace.

Fire Day.

Legend
Legend
All jokes aside, 2 fumbles lost is not a good thing.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nice pass pro from Teague on the 3rd quarter TD.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
I should have taken Ohio State -28.

Glad I didn't place that bet!

Legend
Legend
FAU was quite awful lol ... take the victory and get ready for next

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Comments on the game:

--I think Fields first run at Ohio State went for a 51 yard TD. I think his first pass went for a long TD. LOL......crazy.

--We looked invincible in the first quarter.

--The OL struggled at times after that first quarter.

--I like that we are playing more zone on defense. I think we should mix in some man. I like Cover 3 and I saw us in Cover 2 at times, too.

--The D looked fast and we tackled fairly well. Not sure what to think about the pass defense in the second half. We're those guys backups?

--Day can use this game as a good win, but also to challenge his team because there are so many things that did not go well or need cleaned up.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Comments on the game:

--The D looked fast and we tackled fairly well. Not sure what to think about the pass defense in the second half. We're those guys backups?

Yes after we went up 35-6 Day started playing a lot of our 2nd and 3rd teamers on D ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Who does OSU play next weekend? Is it Indiana?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cincinnati Bearcats I believe

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Cincinnati

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OPPONENT DATE TIME (ET) LOCATION TV
Florida Atlantic Saturday, August 31 12 p.m Columbus, OH FOX
Cincinnati Saturday, September 7 12 p.m Columbus, OH ABC
at Indiana Saturday, September 14 12 p.m Bloomington, IN FOX
Miami (Ohio) Saturday, September 21 TBD Columbus, OH TBD
at Nebraska Saturday, September 28 TBD Lincoln, NE TBD
Michigan State Saturday, October 5 7:30 p.m Columbus, OH ABC/ESPN
at Northwestern Friday, October 18 8:30 p.m. Evanston, IL FS1
Wisconsin Saturday, October 26 TBD Columbus, OH TBD
Maryland Saturday, November 9 TBD Columbus, OH TBD
at Rutgers Saturday, November 16 TBD Piscataway, NJ TBD
Penn State Saturday, November 23 TBD Columbus, OH TBD
at Michigan Saturday, November 30 12 p.m. Ann Arbor, MI FOX

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic...times-opponents

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Oh okay thanks
Originally Posted By: Jester
Cincinnati Bearcats I believe

Legend
Legend
Thanks ... CIncy is not a pushover
Originally Posted By: Jester
OPPONENT DATE TIME (ET) LOCATION TV
Florida Atlantic Saturday, August 31 12 p.m Columbus, OH FOX
Cincinnati Saturday, September 7 12 p.m Columbus, OH ABC
at Indiana Saturday, September 14 12 p.m Bloomington, IN FOX
Miami (Ohio) Saturday, September 21 TBD Columbus, OH TBD
at Nebraska Saturday, September 28 TBD Lincoln, NE TBD
Michigan State Saturday, October 5 7:30 p.m Columbus, OH ABC/ESPN
at Northwestern Friday, October 18 8:30 p.m. Evanston, IL FS1
Wisconsin Saturday, October 26 TBD Columbus, OH TBD
Maryland Saturday, November 9 TBD Columbus, OH TBD
at Rutgers Saturday, November 16 TBD Piscataway, NJ TBD
Penn State Saturday, November 23 TBD Columbus, OH TBD
at Michigan Saturday, November 30 12 p.m. Ann Arbor, MI FOX

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic...times-opponents

D
Legend
Legend
D
I had the game on the radio in my garage while working in the yard, with a few breaks for uh, beverages, and I thought once again that OSU's radio broadcast team (Paul Keels, Jim Lachey) is frigging brutal. And the postgame wrap up show is even worse. I would love to hear Tom Hamilton doing OSU football. As far as the game goes, I wish it had been 95-21, but oh well.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Dave
I had the game on the radio in my garage while working in the yard, with a few breaks for uh, beverages, and I thought once again that OSU's radio broadcast team (Paul Keels, Jim Lachey) is frigging brutal. And the postgame wrap up show is even worse. I would love to hear Tom Hamilton doing OSU football. As far as the game goes, I wish it had been 95-21, but oh well.

I like Keels a lot, but I can't stand Lachey. The over the top homer color guy is always awful. I mean I love Austin Carr, but he's not as obnoxious as Lachey or some of these other football color guys, even though he's still definitely a homer.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Thee Ohio State Football Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard