Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
As Dorian makes it’s imminent U.S. landfall, here are some things to remember.

First and foremost, stay calm. Don’t fret about things like “preparation”.

Let others worry about that.

The time to act is when the storm strikes.

Hopefully, if you live in a hurricane prone area, you already have a hurricane survival kit put together. Such a kit should include:

Basic water accessories: water mobility devices, life jackets & preservers,

All your electronics and valuable paperwork should be stored either in the basement or root cellar if you have one. A detached shed will also suffice.

If you have to go out by car, avoid the prestorm traffic, wait until the storm makes landfall to head out, but always remember the “water on the road” rules: "STOP, BACK & FLOOR".

If you are in the car during the storm and you encounter water over the road:

1) STOP the vehicle,
2) BACK-UP far enough to get a good head of steam, and
3) FLOOR it to simply skim across the water.

In the unlikely event you get stuck in deep raging water always remember to “steer into the current”.

Once across, you can continue the challenge and joy of driving in a hurricane.

Legend
Legend
First recorded category 5 hurricane this far north >........................................................ever.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
And it’s literally stalling 1mph over Bahamas

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
basic hurricane/tornado tips:

stop building in places where hurricanes and tornados are common.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish

Yeah, I see some of these houses on the beaches and think how risky it is

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Yeah, I see some of these houses on the beaches and think how risky it is

The risk is directly related to how much insurance you carry.

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M

....if you cannot afford the insurance.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, don't build from the east coast to the Plains.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Part of the problem is, in many cases it's the taxpayers footing the bill for these costs, not insurance companies.

Why Taxpayers Will Bail Out the Rich When the Next Storm Hits US

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigati...orm-hits-n25901

Reading this article may make you rethink things.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

So, don't build from the east coast to the Plains.

you can build wherever you want.

but if your home keeps getting destroyed over and over again, and you're one of those "i was born here, imma die here" kind of people, im not gonna have much sympathy.

it would be like me buying a home in iraq. sure, i CAN if i really want to, but if there's a road side bomb outside of my house...i really dont have anyone to blame but myself.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c.

lol...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Prayers for all ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
"Why doesn't the Navy just drop ice in the warm water?"

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Is this thing already too close to shore to nuke it?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
LOL wow

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
First recorded category 5 hurricane this far north >........................................................ever.

Not sure where you got your info, but Camile was a cat 5 when it hit Mississippi, which is further north.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And it’s literally stalling 1mph over Bahamas

Well, my wife and I have just raised the white flag.

Since it left the Bahamas, the current track has it pretty much being the closest to land right in front of our condo in SC. We're right at the Garden City/Murrells Inlet pier. One of 9 units on stilts in the sand.

We just got back from there this past Sat. Painting, etc. She's supposed to fly back down with her sister this Sat for their yearly vacation together.

Prayers for all.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Stay safe TTT! Prayers up

Legend
Legend
I pray that everyone in the path of this storm stays safe.

If you need cash for repairs, you might want to walk the beach immediately afterwards .... crazy lol (just kidding, please don't)

Brick of cocaine washes up on Florida beach from Hurricane Dorian waves
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bri...-waves-n1049506

A brick of cocaine washed up on a Florida beach Tuesday from waves churned up by Hurricane Dorian, police said.

At around 8 a.m., a Melbourne police officer on foot patrol at Paradise Beach Park was alerted by a beachgoer that something suspicious appeared to have washed ashore.

When the officer checked it out, he found a package "wrapped in a way that was consistent with narcotics," a Melbourne police spokeswoman said.

The brick was tested and was determined to be a kilo of cocaine, the spokeswoman said, adding that it will be destroyed.

On the outside of the brick appeared to be the beginning of a word but the only letters visible are "DIAMANT." Melbourne police declined to comment on what was written on the brick, citing its investigation.

Another 25 bricks, also believed to be cocaine, washed ashore on nearby Cocoa Beach, Melbourne police said. Cocoa Beach police did not immediately return a request for comment.

Dorian, now a Category 2, began lashing the east coast of central Florida Tuesday night, prompting hurricane warnings for coastal Florida areas as well as warnings in Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.

Before moving toward the U.S. Coast, the slow-moving hurricane battered the Bahamas, killing at least seven people there.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Man, talk about a high tide smile

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I see what ya did there. brownie

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg

I see what ya did there. brownie
brownie

P
Legend
Legend
P

"You got salt water in my cocaine!" "No! You got cocaine in my salt water!"

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
There is a chance at 11 pm update they may upgrade to a cat 3. Looks to be getting its act together again

Legend
Legend
Crazy storm ... the water and wind are making it act strangely
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg
There is a chance at 11 pm update they may upgrade to a cat 3. Looks to be getting its act together again

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Crazy storm ... the water and wind are making it act strangely
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg

Don't expect much left after today. We had quite a bit of damage after Matthew buzzed by at a Cat 1 a few ago.

I would bet the Garden City pier, etc should be wiped out/nada as well.

The biggest concern today is it's gonna hit at high tide-ish time.

AND I JUST HAD NEW FLOORING INSTALLED THRUOUT LAST WEEK. rofl

For rent.....CHEAP!!! rofl

https://www.dunes.com/vacation/rentals/580-sand-dollar-203

Legend
Legend
Hopefully you have good insurance! Stay safe

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Tks. Def safe up here in neo.

Wife and her sister supposed to but now a "maybe" flying down this Sat for their annual.....

Not sure how it got there, but when we came back this past Sat I found, in our car mind you, a couple or 4 jars of Tim Smith's Moonshine. Yeah. I know. Crazy, Ain't it. rofl

Think I'll crack one of em today whilst watching on TV, our building tumble down Atlantic ave. nanner

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
It wasn't that bad. I am in Charleston. We had a few trees fall in our development. One across the street down a few houses from me. They were already cutting it up just after noon yesterday. My house (just 4 yrs old) is pretty well situated. My front yard faces north and I don't have much danger of a tree falling. (No trees and another house across the street) With the hurricanes they mostly come from the east side(ocean side...) and with the counter clockwise rotation...that means the wind comes from the north. There was not as much rain as we have gotten in previous hurricanes and so we did not have any real build up of water. Really we have had thunderstorms that dropped more water on us this year. Downtown Charleston is a different matter altogether but water drains rather quickly with the tides. TTT wasn't kidding about these storms hitting at high tide...that is an awful mess. We lost power for about 24 hrs. And as our electrical is all underground...that is actually a rarity. Yesterday, I sat out on the south facing lanai and smoked a cigar as we watched the winds blow. The worst was past us but it is a huge storm and so we still got wind and rain. Just not 100 mph gusts. I slept through most of the storm. was bored more than anything without internet...Our phones only had roaming except for my work phone and my wife...not worried but desperate for info...lol...used it to watch the news. So I just grabbed a book.

Look, I don't want to make to light of the situation. We have been here for about 4 years and we have stayed put for every hurricane. And the only one I feel like we probably should have evacuated was Matthew. (to be honest tho..I even slept through much of that....lol). We had a lot of water build up...(as a new development we think the unfinished construction may have contributed to that) But in all we don't just stay because of "I was born here...I'm gonna die here" type attitude. We get as much information as we can and take calculated risks. Where is it likely to go...How strong is it...Is it the Coast Guard or the politicians telling you to leave(lol)...Really, just a number of pieces to gather and decide if we stay or go. One advantage to staying is that if something does go wrong...you are right there to start addressing it. Where if evacuating...it might be days before you can get back to the house. That is a lot of time where even more can go wrong. Again...it is a calculated risk...Our house was built for hurricanes...seriously...I mean our windows are rated to take a 2x4 at 200mph.(and damn are they heavy...lol) In the Lowcountry, we worry more about flooding...This wasn't a Katrina Cat 5 hurricane...and it was very unlikely it would make landfall in Charleston. It was wavering between Cat 2 and Cat 3...had it been wavering between Cat 3 and Cat 4....I am relatively certain we would be heading towards Asheville NC or other parts. But to my point...we gathered a lot of information and decided to stay. Today we are just about back to normal...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Tks for the update. Good to hear you fared "fairly well".

We just 1/2hr ago received some info as well. Our building mgr just arrived back from the evac.

Still standing. Some water damage in "some" units. Didn't go into detail. Not sure ours or not. Not sure if structuraly sound. All buildings will be inspected. We know the routine.

As far as windows, 4-5ish years ago as per the city, all sliders facing the ocean had to be replaced with "Hurricane Force Winds" proof/resistant type sliders.

I'm sure I can get a "shingles needed" count but.....

My bride and her sister flying down/arriving tomorrow for their annual so....I'll get a better "blow by blow" account of "what's up". I'm sure there's, as usual after a hurricane, a foot of sand underneath the building where the parking is. I just know when my wife leaves tomorrow I just gotta/I absolutely have to, put a shovel in with her luggage. tongue

Other than that, that's all I know so far.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Glad to here things are standing and I hope for more good news when your wife gets down there. Aside from all the leaves in the yard...you wouldn't know a hurricane came through. My neighbor was not so lucky. They had a large tree in their front yard and it was a little rotten in the core. It snapped and took out their false dormer. It looks really bad. But that part is really nothing and can be fixed quite easily. I think the bigger problem will be from water damage inside...Once the Dormer was taken out the house is open for rain. Sure you have the plywood cladding...but with no shingles or anything keeping the rain out. I am sure they have some damage. When we bought this house...trees and such were not a big consideration. If we ever move from this house(very unlikely...lol) I will definitely know where North is pointing and be wary of trees and other dangers...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PETE314
Glad to here things are standing and I hope for more good news when your wife gets down there. Aside from all the leaves in the yard...you wouldn't know a hurricane came through. My neighbor was not so lucky. They had a large tree in their front yard and it was a little rotten in the core. It snapped and took out their false dormer. It looks really bad. But that part is really nothing and can be fixed quite easily. I think the bigger problem will be from water damage inside...Once the Dormer was taken out the house is open for rain. Sure you have the plywood cladding...but with no shingles or anything keeping the rain out. I am sure they have some damage. When we bought this house...trees and such were not a big consideration. If we ever move from this house(very unlikely...lol) I will definitely know where North is pointing and be wary of trees and other dangers...
The house I just sold had three HUGE trees in it. The cost to trim them was a big bonus in selling the house. Man, between trimming the trees, the roof needing replaced probably in the next 5 years, the garage roof needing replaced sooner (I had a 1000 sq ft garage so its the size of a regular roof), and some basement leaking issues - I was ECSTATIC to sell lol.

The house I am in the process of buying....no a single tree on the property and its staying that way.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not a bad storm here. It passed my area at cat1. We've had worse nor'easters. 30 years ago I might have been surfing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PETE314

Fared well also.
When they arrived at the condo(approx 6p Sat), digital clocks blinking....power outage but back on before they arrived. That's about it. Not much sand underneath, etc. Some units water damage. None for us...southern exposure + 2nd floor with one unit above us and one below. Minor sand underneath in parking area. GC pier pretty much unfazed.

Saw the below vid of the pier today. Drone from the ocean. In the vid we're the building next to/north side of pier next to the 8-9? story building.

Can't believe(stunned) we escaped with very very little damage. Lucked out.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/weather-news/article234787272.html

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
So glad to hear you were essentially untouched...

You are not far at all from my in-laws. We take the 707 right before hitting Garden City and head into the Forestbrook area...

They usually lose power rather quickly but not this time...

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Hurricane Dorian - some basic common sense tips

Link Copied to Clipboard