Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I'm curious as to how it would work... to keep another team from claiming him, when he's 'released'.

Do they make a wink-wink deal with the player's agent, knowing a longer deal will happen, or would that be even necessary?

A team could not claim him as he was not on waivers. A team could approach him with an offer.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
That is a good question. Even if they had an agreement with Greg R. what would stop say the Titans from putting in a claim on him if for no other reason than to keep him off our roster for a week? nevermind I see the answer.

Last edited by vadawgfan07; 09/01/19 06:52 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Dorsey strikes again! Sounds smart and makes sense to me now ... thats a loophole for sure

I was thinking Depo, the strategy guy....but both got together to hash it out and go with the plan.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

That is what I read. Can not get him off waivers. However, another team could offer him a better deal.

Unless it is a kind of a formality and they are restructuring his deal?

There is no way this is done without forethought and an answer to LT.

So no big deal.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Houston is calling his agent right now and trying to throw money at him.

I don't like this move a bit and it could backfire on us.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Wow.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Houston is calling his agent right now and trying to throw money at him.

I don't like this move a bit and it could backfire on us.

Why Houston? They got Tunsil from Miami...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
C
Legend
Legend
C
My guess is that they already have an agreement on plane for a new contract.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I thought Greg Robinson was pretty much set as the LT, guess you never know.

Oh, there's a catch, but nothing anyone's ever seen before? Oh This won't go bad for the Browns.

Has, Wile E Coyote, Super Genius, written all over it.

( Hey, if there was a time to put your whole seasons' pass protection in jeopardy.. there are few worse times than 7 days before opening day, right!)

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

All I know is that there is at least one mod on this board that sucks! Dudes make crazy statement and if you question it, your posts get deleted while the fake post stands.

Later...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I thought Greg Robinson was pretty much set as the LT, guess you never know.

Oh, there's a catch, but nothing anyone's ever seen before? Oh This won't go bad for the Browns.

Has, Wile E Coyote, Super Genius, written all over it.

( Hey, if there was a time to put your whole seasons' pass protection in jeopardy.. there are few worse times than 7 days before opening day, right!)

Quoted for posterity sake.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Man, I was having a Red Foxx moment...

Legend
Legend
Yeah, true ... that’s a good point
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Dorsey strikes again! Sounds smart and makes sense to me now ... thats a loophole for sure

I was thinking Depo, the strategy guy....but both got together to hash it out and go with the plan.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Good! Now lets have a good week of preparation and no more news lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Whew

Legend
Legend
\

Stripes earned!

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I'm interested to see if this new deal is altered in any significant way.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I'm interested to see if this new deal is altered in any significant way.

Probably made longer.
Probably more signing bonus, less salary... he gets a fat chunk right away, we get cap relief and keep him around for another year or three.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
#FullDorse

Legend
Legend
j/c

Just because our team used to be run by a bunch of incompetent boobs does not mean we will always be run by incompetent boobs.

Just because Carlos Boozer backed out on a deal doesn't mean that everyone will back out on a deal.

The sky is not falling.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am usually a very very very skeptical fan. I'm sure that comes as no surprise lol. However, more and more I am inclined to just trust Dorsey and let things play out. He has completely rebuilt this team in two years time. We have gone from a team that won 1 game in 2 entire seasons to a team that will be challenging for the division and might actually squeak into the playoffs. All in just two years. I think Jimmy and Dee ought to resign Dorsey to a ten-year deal right now. We finally have a GM that knows what the hell he is doing. No, he's not perfect and he will make his share of mistakes, but he's the best GM we have had since the return. Hell, since Ernie Accorsi. So if he does moves like this, I am inclined to trust him and just go with the flow...

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
I am usually a very very very skeptical fan. I'm sure that comes as no surprise lol. However, more and more I am inclined to just trust Dorsey and let things play out. He has completely rebuilt this team in two years time. We have gone from a team that won 1 game in 2 entire seasons to a team that will be challenging for the division and might actually squeak into the playoffs. All in just two years. I think Jimmy and Dee ought to resign Dorsey to a ten-year deal right now. We finally have a GM that knows what the hell he is doing. No, he's not perfect and he will make his share of mistakes, but he's the best GM we have had since the return. Hell, since Ernie Accorsi. So if he does moves like this, I am inclined to trust him and just go with the flow...

Yep...he's certainly earned our trust. No one ever earns blind faith tho.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looks Like John blew the Corbett pick, but look at what he has assembled in 2 years.

From worst to first!

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Its a norm to feel this way, its from the associated trauma we've encountered since 1999...It is refreshing to see things going right for once.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am usually a very very very skeptical fan. ... that comes as no surprise ...

... saywhat. Say it ain't so, Sb77.... rofl. (Just jerking your chain, my friend).

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Title of this thread gave me a friggin heart attack.... man.... love to see details of his new deal... don't know why we had to cut him to rework his deal.... crazy...

<><

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Title of this thread gave me a friggin heart attack.... man.... love to see details of his new deal... don't know why we had to cut him to rework his deal.... crazy...
The move was more about putting someone else on the bring backable IR than it was about redoing his contract .. but still killed 2 birds with one stone...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
We cut him to "create" a roster spot in order to IR Drew Forbes, so that he is able to return this season. Forbes had to make the final 53 in order to be able to return this season.

It is much like the Patriots did with cutting Demaryius Thomas. They were then able to put K'Neal Harry on their final 53, IR him so he can return this season, and then re-sign Thomas.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But I could think of a number of guys that I would risk losing before Robinson. Starting with any TE not named Njoku

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester
But I could think of a number of guys that I would risk losing before Robinson. Starting with any TE not named Njoku

Salary range probably worked into the deal as well. Another team would have had to swoop in with a salary in excess of what we are paying him, and it would be fully guaranteed after week 1.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Jester

There was no risk.

It was about his contract. They could cut him with no repercussions.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

For some reason they needed Forbes on our 53 and then place him on the injured reserve thingy. Where he can come back for the 2nd half of the season.

I don't think this had anything to do with Cap but I was afraid the Redskins would make him an offer...lol I think we did this when all were reviewing the Thousand players released.

Looks like we signed him easily I don't know the numbers but it was something that Robinson agreed to prior to being released.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Probably two-fold. We got to have the spot open for Forbes, but now we also got to redo Robinson's deal and get a little cap relief while also extending him here. It worked well for Forbes and for us with the Cap and for Robinson. Win-Win-Win.

The big unspoken thing here is that apparently we were looking forward to having Forbes on the 53, big time, and he definitely was prominently figured into the 2019 plans. You don't make this sort of a move for a player if you weren't counting on them in this current season.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Yeah, good point. Forbes obviously impressed us enough to go through the trouble. He’s going to be given a shot sooner or later here

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Forbes may turn out to be what we expected Corbett to be. I still hope Corbett develops and becomes a solid guy for us.

All Pro
All Pro
The move only works if the player is not subject to waiver claims. If memory serves, you have to have 4 accrued seasons to be exempt from the waiver process.

Options that maybe would not have caused any bidding issues would have been...errr...Stanton, Demetrius Harris, and Morgan Burnett.

Any other guy who would have qualified would also have some leverage and interest from other teams.

Supposedly our O-line group is pretty tight (friendship wise...but don't quote me on that), so it makes since to make the wink-wink deal to be able to bring back an o-lineman in season with...drumroll...another o-lineman.

The scarier issue is that we were able to do it successfully with a starter at a premium position (quite a bit different than the New England move in that regard).

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
If Corbett develops into nothing more than a solid swing/6th Man, he's a good pick. He won't be what was hoped/expected, but he'll be good enough.

That said, you can't win them all... and when I look at the rest of last year's Draft, Dorsey hit on plenty. To miss on only one or two picks is, in itself, kinda amazing.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
It does seem odd, at least to me, that we haven't heard a word about the contract he signed. We don't know if it's the same contract, if it was structured differently or if his contract was extended. All is quiet on the western front.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It will likely be filed with the league today (holiday weekend and all that) and we should have details by this afternoon, I'd expect.

Browns is the Browns

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Release Greg Robinson

Link Copied to Clipboard