Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Look, I think Baker Mayfield has all the physical tools and talent to succeed the NFL. I don't really think that is up for debate. He has a good arm, is pretty accurate, has moxie, isn't afraid to chuck the rock, and overall seems like a perfect guy to be an NFL QB.

Our issue, as we have seen so far this year...putting in the time...im not talking about coming in and watching film in Berea either, im not talking about showing up to all the non-mandatory and mandatory team practices and activities either...what I am talking about is more than that.

Do you want to know Tom Brady is as good as he is? He isn't the most physically gifted, or the best arm, etc...but what he is is absolutely INSANE in his work and preparation.

Baker Mayfield said he was "taking time away from football" do you think Tom Brady was taking time away from football? He already had a clicker in his hand.

What folks don't understand is Brady has set up the perfect life for this...he sits at home with his wife and kids 5, 6 hours a day with game film and clicker, he does this AFTER practice, he does it ALL Off-season, its all the guy does...

Baker Mayfield needs to listen to what Ray Lewis told Kevin Byard last year about who he is dealing with in Tom Brady:

Tom Brady has been so good for so long, because there are no more masters in the NFL when Peyton Manning, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed retired...Brady is the only master left...and he is just playing against kids...kids relying on athletic ability alone...and that isn't enough...you will never beat a master, nor Tom Brady just on athletic ability.

This isn't college anymore Baker Mayfield, This isn't Oklahoma where you can goof around all offseason. You better start listening to what Lewis is telling us about Tom Brady...you want to be the best? you want to win a Super Bowl? then you better get yourself a clicker, and outside of 2 weeks a year you better be buried in film everyday including the offseason, you better be dissecting our division, our schedule, etc...

Manning and Brady were so good because they lived football, and if you want to be even close to be good as they were...you better get started.

Just watch the 1st 4 minutes of the video, its VERY enlightening...

R
Legend
Legend
R
I hope so.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Any opinion supported by a show with Skip Bayless, Shannon Sharpe, and Ray Lewis is probably not an opinion I would agree with.

My opinion is this -- we've played two games.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
My opinion is this -- we've played two games.

It is hard to argue with that opinion.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He wants to win, he knows what it takes. He will do the work. He is no Johnny football.

Joe Thomas #73
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Trash post.

Legend
Legend
settle down bro

also, i have a dirty mind cause the typo in the title had me lolololololol

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend

When you look at greatness in any sport it is never about talent alone. Never.

There is no questioning what Brady, Peyton and many other great athletes have in regards to work ethic and dedication.

Not sure what you are saying in regards to Mayfield?

I seriously doubt that given where Mayfield has come from and his career to date that he has not put in the time.

Never heard that he doesn't work hard. Manziel? There was plenty of evidence that he didn't.

Unless you know specifically through direct contact that Mayfield is somehow goofing off I do not think it fair to speculate.

He has not even played a full NFL season. I saw Matt Ryan a very good quarterback now a veteran make mental errors and poor decisions.

When you look at Peyton's or for that matter any of the great quarterbacks and watch their first season. You think they knew it all? Did people question them?

First you need experience. You need to learn how to study and prepare. You need to learn how to study your mistakes and how to correct them.

Brady sat behind Bledsoe. He had to learn just like every other guy. Belichick got to watch him and aid in his development.

Baker is a very driven guy. He had to be to achieve what he has to date. He did not become the first player taken in the draft on pure athletic ability or physical dimensions. Quite the contrary.

I don't know Mayfield. Don't have to the ability to know what he does 24/7. I have seen what he has done on the field.

And for a guy who has yet start game 16. He has accomplished plenty.

How will he do going forward? I don't know.

But I have no reason to believe that he will not work hard to accomplish his goals. His history indicates he works to accomplish goals.

If he has set his goals for greatness then he will have to follow the path set by others to get there.

Legend
Legend
I think it’s going to take a while; our staff may have been under the impression that he was ready for such a “graduate level” offense ... but it’s not his strength PLUS he doesn’t have the experience yet either.

I think we’ll pare down the offense and build him back up.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: Swish
settle down bro

also, i have a dirty mind cause the typo in the title had me lolololololol

Yeah, LOL and it wouldn't let me change it rofl

K
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I think it’s going to take a while; our staff may have been under the impression that he was ready for such a “graduate level” offense ... but it’s not his strength PLUS he doesn’t have the experience yet either.

I think we’ll pare down the offense and build him back up.

Agreed!

Im still slightly worried about Mayfield's drive though. To be a top 5 NFL QB you pretty much have to be buried in football all year except maybe 2-3 weeks...

He took time away from football after last season and just trained in the weight room mostly. I get it, he got married to a hot wife and im sure she kept him quite occupied rofl

Now though going forward...he has to become a student of the game, he is going to have to put in more time and work harder then everyone else...that includes taking work home with you most of the year. If he is willing to follow through, I have no doubt he will be in Canton one day because he has everything else.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This Knight dude has always been ragging on Baker one way or another.

Like another mentioned: Trash post.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure i get this.

First, it's the quality of work you put in. Not the time. Results are what matters, not time spent.

And often, you need to take a break, recouperate, and then get back at it. I do it all the time at my job. I work very hard, and i get to a point where i say, "This isn't working. I need a break". And that's what i do. I give jobs/instructions to the guys working below me, and i tell the Captain that i'm going to bed. Because there's a point where you're simply not working productively. I see all the time people who work crazy hours and get nothing accomplished.

I don't think just because he got married and took some time to himself, means anything about his commitment to football

Not one bit. And Brady goes on vacation after the season every year. He's got a house down in Costa Rica for goodness sake.

I'm sorry, i just don't get this post. Never, ever, has there been any question about effort. Only when it was found out that Tyrod Taylor was showing up extra early to the facilities to work out (and Baker wasn't). And you see where that got Tyrod.......

He threw 28 TD passes last year. His rookie year. He looked like he had a better sense of what was going on than Andrew Luck did when he came out. Better than any Rookie i've really ever seen. Right now, defenses are out to confuse him. It seems to be working. I'm sure that pisses him off, and he's doing everything he can to get better at this. We have to find ways to counter that as well (maybe not snapping the ball on one every single time!).

But i don't think for one second, the Baker isn't fully committed to football. I mean, this guy walked on everywhere he went. And he took the job everywhere he went right away.

As was said earlier, it's been two freakin games. Game 1 we were clearly outcoached and both LTs got ejected/injured. Game 2, our offense was better, but clearly it needs to get in synch. I'm sure they recognize that, hopefully they're finding the correct ways to work this out.

But i'm not sitting here after two games questioning Baker's committment because he got married in the offseason. Guess what. Brady is married. So is Peyton. So is Brees. So......... I don't get it

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I wouldn’t say he’s struggling now because of a lack of commitment. .. there’s no way that any of us would really know that. I’d say it’s probably more of a product of: a new system that goes against his strengths/experience, the defenses’ ability to confuse him based on their study in the offseason

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He MIGHT be guilty of believing every game or season will be like last years great moments and that just isn't so.
I believe though he's well aware of what it takes to succeed in the league and will work hard. Sophomore bumps in the road is what this is about...

L
Legend
Legend
L
FK hasn't done him any favors...the playcalling looks nothing like what worked last year. I think theres issues with Baker right now..but he's proven in the right circumstance he can perform, FK needs to prove he can make it work. Bottom line, is Baker has alot more rope than FK will.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't normally rag on someone's post, but this is ridiculous. A 2-time walk on turned Heisman Trophy winner being questioned for the amount of time he puts in? Unfortunately, I fear this is a serious question.

I think any quarterback would struggle in an offense where he's getting his team to the line of scrimmage with less than 4-5 seconds on the play clock and not having ample time to read the field.

On top of that, we've faced some pretty good defensive coordinators with a ton of experience. We face another this Sunday. It seems to me they are throwing all kinds of disguises at Baker. And even the experienced QB gets fooled occasionally.

I saw the breakdown of a play where Jarvis read the defense for Baker and Jarvis was even fooled. I like the idea of Baker being the field general and being in charge on the field. I also don't think it will take "a long time."

I'm not as concerned with Baker as much as I am with the coaching at this point.

Nothing to see here, move along....

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Look, I think Baker Mayfield has all the physical tools and talent to succeed the NFL. I don't really think that is up for debate. He has a good arm, is pretty accurate, has moxie, isn't afraid to chuck the rock, and overall seems like a perfect guy to be an NFL QB.

Our issue, as we have seen so far this year...putting in the time...im not talking about coming in and watching film in Berea either, im not talking about showing up to all the non-mandatory and mandatory team practices and activities either...what I am talking about is more than that.

Do you want to know Tom Brady is as good as he is? He isn't the most physically gifted, or the best arm, etc...but what he is is absolutely INSANE in his work and preparation.

Baker Mayfield said he was "taking time away from football" do you think Tom Brady was taking time away from football? He already had a clicker in his hand.

What folks don't understand is Brady has set up the perfect life for this...he sits at home with his wife and kids 5, 6 hours a day with game film and clicker, he does this AFTER practice, he does it ALL Off-season, its all the guy does...

Baker Mayfield needs to listen to what Ray Lewis told Kevin Byard last year about who he is dealing with in Tom Brady:

Tom Brady has been so good for so long, because there are no more masters in the NFL when Peyton Manning, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed retired...Brady is the only master left...and he is just playing against kids...kids relying on athletic ability alone...and that isn't enough...you will never beat a master, nor Tom Brady just on athletic ability.

This isn't college anymore Baker Mayfield, This isn't Oklahoma where you can goof around all offseason. You better start listening to what Lewis is telling us about Tom Brady...you want to be the best? you want to win a Super Bowl? then you better get yourself a clicker, and outside of 2 weeks a year you better be buried in film everyday including the offseason, you better be dissecting our division, our schedule, etc...

Manning and Brady were so good because they lived football, and if you want to be even close to be good as they were...you better get started.

Just watch the 1st 4 minutes of the video, its VERY enlightening...

superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
He can be very good and could win superbowls. I don't know that he has the type of obsessive personality that you need to become like a Manning or Brady. Very few do. I don't see Mayfield as having that type of personality.

I think Brees fits into that conversation of "chessmasters" by the way.

M
Legend
Legend
M
J/c

Clearly we are back to needing to draft a QB in the 1st round of the draft. willynilly

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888
J/c

Clearly we are back to needing to draft a QB in the 1st round of the draft. willynilly
I’ll reserve judgment on this until after this week

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Most of the posts are about trashing another poster's opinion or making fun of him. It's really hard to have a real football conversation on here w/out all the personality crap. thumbsdown

Legend
Legend
I think Baker will be fine.

I (nor you) know what Baker or any other player does at home in his spare time. I want ALL of our players to be committed to becoming great. I do understand people have lives too though. People have to be able to live outside of their 'workplace.'

Season is still young. I think we should all just stay tuned for now. I think its fine to question the product on the field, but I'm gonna hang tight on questioning the work ethic, unless theres a reason too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
R
Legend
Legend
R
J/c

This was a joke, right?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
J/c

This was a joke, right?
haha come on Rish, yes it was

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Hello Refs. Would you please fix the thread title? I am not a prude, but the use of "head" vs "hard" is fairy creepy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Baker is going to take the sophomore slump. I said that before the year started. He had too much going on.

However... I think he will be great. I think he will be great in the league for a long time. This year, he will be average to below average and that will push him to be great in the future.

Today, he has to live in the bed he made this year.
- It will be good for him and painful for us.
-He took too much time away from football this past year. (legit reasons or not)

and a side note...

he should feel really bad now that we all know Baker is the reason Juke has a concussion and a broken wrist and will miss significant time.

He has got to get it together or he will hurt more of his teammates. Hopefully... this will be his wakeup call before we lose OBJ to some inaccurate passes.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend

No offense not trying to jump on your opinion.

However, there are 24 hours in a day. I don't know how anyone possible knows how Mayfield spent his time?

Maybe he did not work out with Jordan Palmer. But how does anyone know what else he has done?

How much game tape he has watched? His clicker?

What he has done or how he prepares?

Do you think he made the throw to Njoku intentionally bad?

Is he the only quarterback to make a inaccurate throw?

"He has to get it together because he is going to hurt more teammates"? Has there been any indication from any of his teammates, coaches here or in his past that he is a bad teammate who does not work hard?

Do you believe that he has not practiced to win games on a team of 53 other players with the same goal?

Has anything been published that has accused Mayfield of not working hard and preparing hard to win?

Do you believe you can predict his season this year?

You are welcome to speculate but I can find no reason to agree.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we could have an intelligent conversation here, but it's more about ripping other posters than it is about the reality of the situation.

How about we look at it like this? No criticisms of Baker. No defending Baker by trashing other posters. Instead, what are some things that might make Baker an even better qb? Is that possible? Or, are the Baker guys just going to stunt conversation?

Legend
Legend

Always open to discuss those types of questions.

However, speculating about how someone spends there time without any kind of possible evidence?

Predicting his season or the Browns because Mayfield has not prepared?

Sorry, it is not defending him. It is questioning how anyone can know those things?

V
Legend
Legend
V
No more so than people already saying he is a "franchise qb" or is going to be "better than Farve." Also, there are some facts out there, bone.

I would really like to discuss what I would say to him if I were his advisor, but it's hard to be objective about the guy w/out getting trashed on this board.

I would not say these things in a negative way, but there is substance behind my points. I just don't want to have this fall into the same old name calling and insulting crap that usually occurs on here when he is discussed.

T
Legend
Legend
T
This topic is banannas because being a quarterback is not about hard work. Full Stop.

Things that would help Baker be a better Quarterback.

A running game focused offense.
A counselor so to speak, (maybe a Robin to his Batman) for Freddie Kitchens on gamedays during the game to help with the decisions of the playcalls, "in the moment" as the game situations present themselves,

We've observed and repeated, going back to the Bud Carson years and so forth, that Having a head coach also call defensive plays, or offensive plays is too much to have on one plate and ends up badly.

( Hard Work! is defined as moving, lifting, pulling, carrying, more weight/mass than the average, And that is NOT what the Quarterback is doing out there)

It's not a question of effort! It's not a question of getting up earlier in the morning,
The game of chess is not a test of hand strength!

And that is why I think the topic title as a discussion point is Banannas,

So, What Baker is doing as far as game study, I don't think that people get to see that, not all of it,
and if I'm wrong an you do great, and if he ain't doing it, if he ain't doing the preparation that's great too

because they sure aren't starting Drew Stanton.

Here's another, Getting. excuse me, "investing" in some top notch Tight ends might really help Bakers game too,

and I don't mean being relevant in only 10% of the offensive snaps of games you start healthy in either,
(and that dig wasn't on Njoku's injury, it's including his usage from games last year.)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
J/C

I think the TE position is way more important to us than might get credit ... the media talks about OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, etc ... we have some REALLY nice hood ornaments. But we need that STEADY/RELIABLE/VERSATILE player at TE. We need a Heath Miller type guy. Someone who’s gonna be by Baker’s side for a decade. Maybe not the flashiest or puts up the best numbers, but that can be counted on

R
Legend
Legend
R
Like a Mark Andrews.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Mark Andrews would be money on this team.

Legend
Legend
Agreed

V
Legend
Legend
V
They are not trading Mark Andrews.

Legend
Legend

Perspective is important.

Franchise qb? Work ethic? A little different. One is an opinion. The other is pure speculation based upon zero evidence. I am unaware of a single person who has direct experience with Mayfield say he doesn't work?

As you know. The quarterback position at the NFL level is extremely difficult.

There is not a single quarterback that has come into the NFL that I am aware of that knew it all. That didn't make mistakes. That didn't have times they struggled. That were not dependent upon the team around them.

Baker has stated publicly I need to play better.

At the same time he has had a damn good start in his career. He did just win and throw for 325 yards.

I have listened to Monken, Lindley and many others from head coaches, retired players, retired quarterbacks.
Have not heard any of them not believe in his potential.

Potential of course has to be realized. He has started 15 games. Time will tell.

I don't believe perfection from that experience is possible.

At the same time I would not speculate on how bad he wants to be great or how hard he is willing to work.

I can only go by what he has done and what information about him is verified not speculated about.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Alright, fine. Glad to know that you don't even want to hear my opinion on the matter and that your mind is already made up. Later, bro.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
They are not trading Mark Andrews.
lol obviously; i think his point was someone with that skill set or consistency

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Mayfield work head enough to be great?

Link Copied to Clipboard