Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
That can’t be accurate, can it?

It can. We rolled over a ton of money in the past.

Forgot all about that. Makes perfect sense now. Wow. He really did spend like a drunken sailor lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
An oddly bittersweet act this morning...I looked throughout the web to see what players are still available to see if we can improve our team. (As if I'd actually know that rofl )

Anyway...bitter to remember the days of desperation - hopefully gone now - looking for something to help my team not be so pathetic. Sweet because...well...you know.

The only guy that caught my somewhat-unknowing eye was Stefan Wisnieski. A few former Browns as well...but not anyone that made me yearn to see them back.

My other pre-season ritual had been to look at the practice squad and backup QBs for other teams. I know...pathetic. I've not done that yet for this year. (Although I did check to see that Blough made the Lions 53.) I'll do it at some point...but not with the same feeling of dread.

I'll call that uncharted territory.

Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns: Finding leaders, the big punter decision, the O-line -- Terry Pluto

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/09...erry-pluto.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

ABOUT THE LEADERSHIP

It’s obvious rookie head coach Freddie Kitchens is on the spot.

A recent USA Today story said the Browns are the No. 2 team picked to win the Super Bowl, behind the Chicago Bears. At least, that’s according to the wagering action in Las Vegas.

That’s a lot to ask of the lads in the orange helmets.

I’m going to operate on the assumption that Kitchens does a respectable job as head coach. He is surrounded with veteran coordinators, and that should help.

But as GM John Dorsey told me: “The great teams have always been self-regulated by the veterans in the locker room.”

That’s where it will be fascinating to watch the Browns.

This is not a team with a lot of players who have experienced much winning at the NFL level.

Consider some of the players mentioned by Dorsey who are emerging as team leaders:

1. QB Baker Mayfield.

2. Receivers Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr.

3. Guard Joel Bitonio.

4. Defensive ends Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon.

5. Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson.

6. Safety Damarious Randall.

This was not a complete list, just guys Dorsey quickly mentioned. The Browns named three captains, one for each unit: Christian Kirksey (defense), Charley Hughlett (special teams) and Mayfield (offense).

Add it all up and that’s 10 total players.

They have played in a total of eight post-season games: Randall (5), Beckham (1), Vernon (1) and Landry (1).

“They (good leaders) set the bar incredibly high,” said Dorsey. “It’s driven by the locker room. I’m starting to see that here.”

Just because they haven’t been to the postseason before, they still can make it happen now.

Mayfield is a natural leader with high expectations. The Browns have been very impressed with the growth of Garrett. Both are young, driven players – and the most talented on offense and defense.

That’s also critical to success.

Dorsey wanted to bring in Vernon for a variety of reasons.

“We now have two defensive ends,” he said. “That takes the pressure off 95 (Garrett). They (blockers) can’t always slide to 95. They may end up having to slide over to Olivier Vernon. It balances off the pass rush.”

He also believes Richardson will bring toughness to the middle of the defensive line. To avoid a rush from the edge (Garrett and Vernon), QBs may step up into the pocket. That’s where Richardson and young Larry Ogunjobi will be waiting for them.

The Browns believe the defensive line can set the leadership tone for the team, the playoff toughness that is required for success.

The Browns have playoff-caliber talent. Now, they must have key players turn into playoff-caliber leaders as they face the challenges and pressures of the season.

THE PRIEFER INFLUENCE

When I interviewed Dorsey, he discussed the need to take lots of opinions into consideration.

The biggest training camp decision was veteran punter Britton Colquitt vs. Jamie Gillan, the rookie known as The Scottish Hammer.

The Browns brought in Mike Priefer to fix their dismal special teams, ranked last in the NFL by profootballfocus and other rating services.

Priefer came from the Vikings. While the front office can be intrigued by the strong leg and athleticism of Gillan, it is Priefer who has to live with the young punter every day. Most veteran coaches such as Priefer prefer veteran players.

But Priefer pushed hard for Gillan.

“It would have been very hard to let a guy like Jamie out of the building,” said Priefer. “He’s so talented and has such a big leg swing. The sky is the limit and we’re just scratching the surface with him.”

Priefer praised Gillan for learning how to hold for rookie kicker Austin Seibert.

The Browns scouting staff spotted Gillan at Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Priefer went to the school to watch Gillan work out and was impressed. That continued ever since Gillan came to training camp.

Priefer said opposing special teams coaches have told him: “Wow! This guy is really good.”

Sunday, we’ll begin to find out if the Browns made the right decision.

Meanwhile, Colquitt signed with the Vikings – Priefer’s old team.

ABOUT THE BROWNS

1. You can’t find out about an offensive line until it plays for real. The closest thing to a significant test was in Tampa Bay, preseason Game 3. It didn’t look very good.

2. A year ago, Desmond Harrison opened the season at left tackle. He lost the job after eight games to Greg Robinson, the starter now. Ed Kush has taken over for excellent right guard Kevin Zeitler (traded to New York). The rest of the offensive line played all 16 games last season: JC Tretter (center), Chris Hubbard (right tackle) and Bitonio (left guard).

3. The point is the Browns have not made a big changes on the line, which allowed only five sacks in the final eight games. The difference is Kush for Zeitler. Dorsey on Austin Corbett: “Everybody progresses at a different pace. You have to exercise a degree of patience.”

4. I’m curious to see how Priefer handles the return game. It was hard to tell the best bets for punt and kick returns. Antonio Callaway showed some promise last year, but he’s suspended for the first four games in 2019. I’m guessing it will be Dontrell Hilliard.

5. I will be talking Cavs, Browns, Tribe and other things on September 10, 6:30 p.m. at the RODMAN Library in Alliance. The next appearance is September 23 at 6:30 p.m. at the Brunswick Library.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
Really enjoyed Priefer's presser the other day. Night and day difference from Amos, IMO.

Legend
Legend
The ST’s is an area that not many people discuss (at least media wise) but it could be a BIG area of improvement ... let’s not forget how BAD we’ve been

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Browns put backup QB Drew Stanton (knee) on IR. Called up RB Elijah McGuire from practice squad. Stanton showed up on injury report Friday.

https://twitter.com/ScottPetrak/status/1173691416821870595

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Browns put backup QB Drew Stanton (knee) on IR. Called up RB Elijah McGuire from practice squad. Stanton showed up on injury report Friday.

https://twitter.com/ScottPetrak/status/1173691416821870595

This is not a big deal but it is a medium deal. Garrett Gilbert is now our back up QB. Stanton can still hang around and play coach.

Legend
Legend
Given the status of our offensive line, should we be lining up another third QB? Like one we released? Just a bunch of stuff can slide due south in a heartbeat or two. I would rather be in front of the crisis and breaking somebody in.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
This may be legite .... the injury .....

if not its a huge gamble if god forbid bake gets hurt .... especially after last week with what happened to G-Moron and his back up ....

V
Legend
Legend
V
Who is G-Moron?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Robinson .... G-Rob .... i had to use G-Moron once ... *L* ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL........I was drawing a blank because I was trying to think of QBs who got hurt last week.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Browns place backup QB Drew Stanton on injured reserve

Stanton, who has been listed as No. 2 on Cleveland's depth chart behind Baker Mayfield, injured his knee during practice last week. He first appeared on the injury report Friday.

With Stanton out, Garrett Gilbert will be behind Mayfield when the Browns play the New York Jets on Monday night. Gilbert has appeared in one NFL game since 2014.

The 35-year-old Stanton has made 17 career starts since being selected by the Detroit Lions in 2007. Coach Freddie Kitchens has praised Stanton for his experience and steadiness.

The Browns also signed running back Elijah McGuire to the active roster from their practice squad. McGuire gives the Browns depth with Dontrell Hilliard out with a concussion sustained last week against Tennessee.

McGuire was drafted by the Jets in 2017. He made five starts and played in 24 games, rushing for 591 yards.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-place-backup-qb-drew-stanton-injured-211657037--nfl.html

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
J/c

Didn’t wanna start a new thread, but we just signed OL Malcolm Pridgeon (former Buckeye)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
I was looking at our roster the other day and Forbes is listed as a "T"...I think he takes Hubbard's spot soon after being available. JMO

Legend
Legend
Yeah, but that will not be until Week 9 at the earliest. A player put on IR Designated to Return has to remain on IR for at least eight weeks, returning in the ninth.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Yeah, but that will not be until Week 9 at the earliest. A player put on IR Designated to Return has to remain on IR for at least eight weeks, returning in the ninth.

Yep...can't officially practice either. But...he can do whatever he wants on his own. So...you know.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Worth a look? Especially with Avery in the doghouse for some reason.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Can Taco play Tackle?

Legend
Legend
Well, it's not Tuesday, so I doubt we take a look this week.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Well, it's not Tuesday, so I doubt we take a look this week.
tongue

C
Legend
Legend
C

Colts fans are upset this guy got cut. I wouldn’t be shocked if he ends up on our practice squad.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He looked good in preseason. I thought the Colts were high on him? I wonder if he did something else that was totally stupid?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
He looked good in preseason. I thought the Colts were high on him? I wonder if he did something else that was totally stupid?
Yeah he may have done something ... I personally liked him and their other QB too ... can’t recall his name, but he was sharp

C
Legend
Legend
C

Worth a look? Especially with Avery in the doghouse for some reason.

Legend
Legend
and they will now sell him to the highest bidder.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
and they will now sell him to the highest bidder.

There is a place near my house that has fifty cent street tacos on Fridays so they're not going to get much.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Colts fans are upset this guy got cut. I wouldn’t be shocked if he ends up on our practice squad.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Not a shock with Hilliard back. If he clears waivers my guess is that we try to get him back on the practice squad.

Who replaces him? We probably will bring a linebacker in or promote one off the practice squad.

Legend
Legend
We gotta be adding a LB now IMO ... prepare for Kirko to be done for a while

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Gearing up without Denzel and/or Greedy

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Yep. Neither are playing if you ask me. Randall ruled out and doesn't look too good for Morgan Burnett either.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Yep. Neither are playing if you ask me. Randall ruled out and doesn't look too good for Morgan Burnett either.

So true...

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I am wondering if we are more worried about our safeties this week, or more worried about our corners and thinking about moving Randall back to Corner for a week.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

I am wondering if we are more worried about our safeties this week, or more worried about our corners and thinking about moving Randall back to Corner for a week.
I think we’re worried about everything this week haha ... from our OTs to our TEs to our QB to our HC to our DBs to our LBs to the penalties to the whole idea of stopping one of the best teams in the NFL

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

Randall is out.

Legend
Legend
J/c

Randall is out, but so is Burnett most likely

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum A look at the roster

Link Copied to Clipboard