Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
cfrs15 #1664644 09/17/19 03:39 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
I can agree with the Monken stuff. Being in South Florida, I see a lot of Tampa games, and Winston tries to go deep often, but he is still doing that so far this pre-season and season, so it may not ALL have been Monken, but there is similarities.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Originally Posted By: bonefish

MacFarland called a good game.

I was pleasantly surprised

He being a LSU Alumnus probably calmed him down. I was impressed given previous exposure to him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Not a lot to add.

I liked the kicks. It seemed even when Joseph made a kick last year, it was shaky. Just over the crossbar, or just inside the upright. Wobbly. Last night, right down the middle.

Between two games, only one of the Hammer's punt was returned. And it was not much of a return.

On the OBJ TD one of the announcers said no one was going to catch him. Then Ratley pretty much did. Showed some wheels there.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
j/c

Not a lot to add.

I liked the kicks. It seemed even when Joseph made a kick last year, it was shaky. Just over the crossbar, or just inside the upright. Wobbly. Last night, right down the middle.

Between two games, only one of the Hammer's punt was returned. And it was not much of a return.

On the OBJ TD one of the announcers said no one was going to catch him. Then Ratley pretty much did. Showed some wheels there.
VERY MUCH AGREED!

I don't think enough credit has been going to the ST, when in fact that has been an Achilles heel of ours for years.

Legend
Legend
The Ravens are playing well, but it is worth mentioning that they have played arguably the two worst teams in the NFL so far. They have to go to KC this week before playing us... I know they are pretty good but we will know a lot more about just "how good" after this week.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
j/c

You also wonder if Wylie was correct in saying that it had more to do with Zampese than anybody else

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
j/c

He summed up my thoughts exactly:

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
In defense of the discussion, talking about what isn't working and being critical of those things is not the same as complaining.

Nobody ever improves, much less becomes great, by ignoring their weaknesses. You look at them, you acknowledge them, and then you attack them.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Swish #1664682 09/17/19 07:00 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Swish
OBJ is probably making mayfield look for the homerun ball too much.

i mean looking at the replays, there were some wide open check downs that was there all day for mayfield.

our O line has problems, how much of those problems would've been masked if mayfield was hitting the open throws and open guys like he did last year?

yall know what this reminds me of, right guys?

remember how Hoyer the destroyer was playing....right up until Gordon got back from the 10 game suspension? then he was forcing the ball to him constantly.

I don't know. I posted a link in the scheme thread. Read it and you might change your mind.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
OK, For the first 2/3rds of the game,

Chubb is in on first down, Run, Same on 2nd down, but 3rd down?

Even on 3rd and 3, Chubb needs to be able to stay in the 3rd down package on occasion, just to give the hint that you may still run the ball.

When Chubb came out and D'Ernest went in, everybody from here to Egypt knew the Browns were going to pass, and usually out of the pocket.

If that kind of predictability continues for the whole season, it will lead to disaster.

... After several occasions, they ran D'ernest on one of those plays, it must have been 3rd and 10 because he got 5.5 -6, and set up the first 4th and 4, 4th down where they tried to draw them offsides.

But, if the team is so predictable that if Chubb is in, you run 75% of the times,
and when He checks out, and D'Ernest checks in, the whole defense has all the time you break the huddle to remember you passed, 99% of the time when that player checked out, and that one checked in.

You can't make anything that obvious in the NFL,
in the NFL it leads to, disasterous results.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
archbolddawg #1664684 09/17/19 07:10 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Just a random comment I will add here. Ratley has some wheels!

On the play that OBJ to for 80-90 yards, Ratley came from out of nowhere to get between OBJ and the last 2 defenders who might have had a chance to make a play.

It was impressive.

This comment made me go look at the vid. If you can find a wide screen vid, watch it. He was, when OBJ caught the ball, perhaps only a yard behind OBJ. He was split out wide.

AS the tape shows, OBJ made a few cuts (half cuts, really) and, in no way am I saying he doesn't have speed, but......well, start this vid at around the 40 second mark.

It is near 23 yards from hash to sideline. Ratley was pretty much on the sideline and OBJ caught the ball pretty much on the hash. OBJ didn't start cutting out until he saw Ratley streaking his way to provide help.

Ratley ran a 4.39 pro day.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1664686 09/17/19 07:13 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
That raw ability is why they kept Ratley.

archbolddawg #1664687 09/17/19 07:25 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Ok...I do have a little bias...I have a bartender here in town who is a cousin to Damion. She grew up in Yoakam, Tx with him.

She is a nice girl and I have lunch and a few pints with her on Saturdays every 3-4 weeks. I rotate between 5-6 places.

I was wearing my Browns sweatshirt last year and she made comment when I entered. OK....most people comment when I enter a room....I'll let you decide what those comments might be...lol..anyway, that is how the relationship started. She said she was a Browns fan, her cousin played for the team. As a SEC fan, I remembered liking him at A&M and she liked I knew that.

Kat was off the last time I was in, I wanted to give props for him making the team. It will have to wait. I will be in Cleveland next week, and NYC the following.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Ballpeen #1664696 09/17/19 07:47 PM
Legend
Legend
i went and read it.

im not happy about that. Bucs had all those yards, with all those L's to go along with it.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1664704 09/17/19 08:16 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bro, I don't think it's fair to blame OBJ for Baker's issues. I'm not going to argue about it, but I think I have identified the main issues. A lot of former players/coaches on TV seem to think along the same lines.

Versatile Dog #1664705 09/17/19 08:18 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I almost hate saying this, because I'll probably have to defend the guy at some point, but Freddie is not impressing me thus far.

He talked too much in preseason. He changed his scheme/personnel packages. His talk to the players was about as bad as I have EVER seen.

It's very early, but right now, I am not so sure that Freddie is ready.

Versatile Dog #1664715 09/17/19 08:49 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

cfrs15 #1664733 09/17/19 09:58 PM
Legend
Legend
Love those clips of Donovan

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
cfrs15 #1664734 09/17/19 09:59 PM
Legend
Legend
Just a thought about the Jets:

They are in trouble. Big trouble.

0-2, missing Darnold for the next few weeks, and having the following schedule coming up:

@ New England
Bye
@ Philly
Dallas
New England

At that point it will be .. welcome to 0-6.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
cfrs15 #1664746 09/17/19 10:58 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
A ton of good points already. I feel pretty much the same as most.

Listening on the Radio today I did hear a point that I haven't seen mentioned here - I think it was Joe Thomas - Baker has a whole lot more on his plate this year with the O. Last year he was not changing the call at the line. This extra mental process could well be the reason for the late snaps and getting to the line late. Also possibly affecting how quickly he is making his decisions and letting it rip.

JT also used Calvin Johnson as an example of what OBJ might be doing to Baker - when you have such a great talent on your team, you kind of want to get him the ball. Basically JT and every other person I heard talk on the TV or the radio talked about taking what the D gives you, throwing to the open guy underneath often, because the D has to respond to that and then you open op OBJ or the long play to whichever guy.

JT also thought Higgins was going to be a significant help - as he trusts him so much as his safety outlet.

My 2 cents - ignoring the things that need to improve - thought the D was stout. Regardless of how good/bad the jests were without Darnold - the D looked like the D I was expecting in terms of their physicality and ability to get into the backfield. Thought Kirksey and Schobert both attacked the ball and played very well. MG got all the headlines but the DL played very very well as a unit... A little concerned Ward doesn't look as smooth and comfortable as last year.

Last comment - special teams: great all round and a special shout out to the Scottish Hammer....

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1664749 09/17/19 11:22 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Denzel looks uninterested.

I think those concussions are weighing on him.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Man you guys are rough.

When was the last time we defeated ANY team by 20 points?????

We have been the victim of 20-30 point losses for 20 years!!!!!!

Oh, how you people forget.

2 years ago, we were 0-16! I said 0-16!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your impatience is really beyond words.

Baker has played 16 NFL games and you are all roasting him????

Give the man a little time to evolve before you compare him to Brady and Brees.

This team is YOUNG and learning.

There will be growing pains, but all your negative comments are just unbelievable.

It is like you are grading our team as a 5 year veteran team.

Quite frankly you are all disgusting.

GO BROWNS!!!!

Roasting him? I don't think so. Thinking we were going to be one thing and turning out to be another, that's not Roasting.

Being disappointed by Penalties isn't roasting anyone.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Rishuz #1664782 09/18/19 09:21 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Or Robbie Anderson is just a physically talented guy who stretches things downfield and the defense was focused on not giving up the big play. The way our DL was demolishing their OL, there was little reason to think they could consistently string together plays.

I need to rewatch the game and see if we might be giving Greedy more safety help. Denzel might be more being left on his own so that he needs to be a bit more cautious.

I wasn't the most focused on him, though. It can be hard to tell much from the broadcast angle at times.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1664793 09/18/19 09:46 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
No, there is something up with Denzel. I don't think his mind is right. If he doesn't get back on track passing on Chubb will turn out to be a mistake. If we had Chubb we still have Zeitler. And Chubb is way better than Vernon.

Not giving up on Denzel but something is up.

cfrs15 #1664852 09/18/19 11:44 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
denzel def. doesn't want to tackle and he's very slow getting his hips turned. He's def. not the same guy as last year. The whole Defense as a whole seems less aggressive. Front 7 play is improved but we aren't generating turnovers like last year

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
leadtheway #1664855 09/18/19 11:47 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
denzel def. doesn't want to tackle and he's very slow getting his hips turned. He's def. not the same guy as last year. The whole Defense as a whole seems less aggressive. Front 7 play is improved but we aren't generating turnovers like last year
We have a new def coordinator.

Do you like more turnovers or less points scored?

We may have turned over the ball more with Gregg, but we gave up points, big plays, and rushing yards like crazy.

So far, we are more controlled at the line, being better suited to stop the run and limiting big plays based on what I have seen.

TO are nice, but when your giving up 14 points because your blitzing and going for the ball all day - they negate the positive they produce.

leadtheway #1664856 09/18/19 11:48 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Also, maybe I am wrong (someone can look it up) but it seems we are playing more zone than man.

Bull_Dawg #1664887 09/18/19 12:36 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Or Robbie Anderson is just a physically talented guy who stretches things downfield and the defense was focused on not giving up the big play. The way our DL was demolishing their OL, there was little reason to think they could consistently string together plays.

I need to rewatch the game and see if we might be giving Greedy more safety help. Denzel might be more being left on his own so that he needs to be a bit more cautious.

I wasn't the most focused on him, though. It can be hard to tell much from the broadcast angle at times.

I hope you are correct...but Denzel was also quite bad in the Titans game.

cfrs15 #1664891 09/18/19 12:50 PM
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
What wrong with Denzel Ward is the scheme.

Ward is a man cover corner, one of the best.

Our Defensive Coordinator is playing mostly zone, Ward isn't a zone corner, he may become one, but right now he is struggling because of it.

Both Ward and Mitchell are much better man corners that zone corners.

Knight_Of_Brown #1664918 09/18/19 02:22 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
What wrong with Denzel Ward is the scheme.

Ward is a man cover corner, one of the best.

Our Defensive Coordinator is playing mostly zone, Ward isn't a zone corner, he may become one, but right now he is struggling because of it.

Both Ward and Mitchell are much better man corners that zone corners.

Agree w this. And I suspect Greedy is also more of a cover corner than zone.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1664983 09/18/19 07:00 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
My thoughts:

This is still a work in progress. I think there are going to be adjustments made to make up for some of the weaknesses we have on the OL.

Baker looked better against the Jets than he did the week before. He still doesn't look right, although I think he'll figure it out.

Myles Garrett is unbelievably fun to watch, but he has gotta clean up the penalties. I'm not going to knock him too much for the late hit on a QB, because I really think there is not a ton you can do about that, but jumping offsides is going to end up costing us games.

Odell Beckham Jr. is so much fun to watch. WOW. The Browns robbed the Giants there.

Greedy Williams looks to be a pretty good player.

Sunday Night is going to be TOUGH. Big test for both the offense and defense. Big stage.

cfrs15 #1665058 09/19/19 03:20 AM
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
What I'm seeing and is a concern to me. Monkey's offense might be great but it seems it goes away from what Baker does best, i.e., quick looks and delivery. Monkey got Winston killed with long developing plays and he's brought that here - and we're not playing to minimize our weaknesses - our OL isn't capable of blocking for that long most of the time. I think Freddie needs to consider how he played to our O's comfort level/strengths last year. We're looking like a go for home run all the time. Odell is a weapon, not the only one and teams seem to game plan for our long ball approach.

Wilks' D I see as developing the same kind of one trick pony. Unleashing the D line to get sacks/pressure at all costs. We drafted 2 cover corners but are playing zone and not focusing on taking away anyone. Myles needs another move, any tackle who gets his hands on him greatly slows him down. Again, Freddie needs to look at what D strengths he has and utilize it, especially at times to disguise their look.

Penalties and heads down playing seems to overlook playing smarter. I also say the lack of O chemistry during preseason has them trying to gel in these first games.

chet the jet #1665078 09/19/19 07:21 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
First off, I'm surprised the autocorrect going on in your post hasn't happened more often...

I don't like the direction that they're pushing the offense, but at least I get it. You went out and got OBJ, and you have a QB that really likes the long ball.

The D is pretty irritating, though. You have these good young CBs that excel in man... so obviously you put them in a zone scheme. Ugh...

A couple posters were pointing this out when Wilkes came on board, but we were all hoping he'd notice our corners.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1665082 09/19/19 07:30 AM
Legend
Legend
I wonder the benefits of zone in our coaches’ minds? Is it to help our LBs/Safeties who struggle in coverage?

I mean, with Denzel, Greedy, and Mitchell ... you’d think we can just line up and play man

Dawgs4Life #1665085 09/19/19 07:49 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think w zone the thought is that there is less chance for giving up the big play.

#gmstrong
CapCity Dawg #1665087 09/19/19 07:59 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's hard to evaluate our defense right now because we played two offenses that are not very good. We'll have a better idea after this upcoming game.

CapCity Dawg #1665091 09/19/19 08:11 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
I think w zone the thought is that there is less chance for giving up the big play.

That could be the case in their thinking. I wonder if we’ll shift to some sort of man/zone hybrid to allow our CBs to excel

Dawgs4Life #1665190 09/19/19 01:18 PM
Legend
Legend
I feel like that would be ideal... man outside, zone under... but, I'm also an X's & O's neophyte and am not sure what weaknesses that creates.

That said, it seems like it would be the best use of the talent we've acquired.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

cfrs15 #1665328 09/19/19 07:34 PM
Legend
Legend
Just chiming in on the CB Zone/Man ordeal.

We have guys who can absolutely plan man. I don't wanna say its crazy not to have these guys play mostly man, but it's crazy to not have these guys play mostly man.

I think playing majority man, and then sprinkling in zone from time to time is the best way to go with our DBs.

I'm really interested in seeing how we play against the Rams. Hard to see any trends in 2 games, but 3 for me starts to solidify what our coaches are doing for the rest of the season.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 23 Jets 3 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard