Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
I don't think so, at all.

Duke not being here is something that is different from last year, but it is not the difference between this year and last year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll miss him until we finally get Kareem Hunt...:)

Legend
Legend
I don't agree with letting him go, but honestly, as someone else said, Chubb can do everything he did and more.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Duke was gone the minute that Baker called him out. This is Baker's team.............for better or worse.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Duke was gone the minute that Baker called him out. This is Baker's team.............for better or worse.

Duke was gone the minute we signed Hunt and he asked to be traded. Don't try to pin the trade on Baker.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Not until the team let him go, or he held out, he was under contract and

always contributed well in the past, I can only surmise he would have continued to contribute well, as players in a contract year do, imagine what a player in a (week 10 suspension ends timeframe) of the guy well everybody knows the situation,

no reason to think Duke wouldn't have been extra motivated to showcase his game for his future role elsewhere, even if he was convinced he would be out, even the "instatnt" they could get Hunt into uniform.

Timing is all.
There are no perfect answers, just decisions and living with them.
The team did, and moving on.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Your agenda continues... For starters Duke requested a trade long before Baker "called him out." Just more made up BS...

Legend
Legend

rofl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll pin it on Baker if I like and you and the rest of the crowd can't do a damn thing about it.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
This is correct. We cannot do a damn thing about your bad takes. We've tried several times.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I haven't paid attention, hows Duke doing in Houston?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I haven't paid attention, hows Duke doing in Houston?
Really, not that well (I think week 1 he had a decent game) ... they use Hyde more it seems

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think we miss him, but mostly because of the absence of Higgins and (to a lesser extent) Njoku. If we had Hunt right now, I don't think we'd miss him at all.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
It was over for Duke Johnson here the moment Baker Mayfield called him out:

Mary Kay Cabot
Updated Aug 08, 2019; Posted Aug 08, 2019

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The moment Baker Mayfield walked up to the podium at minicamp in June and called out Duke Johnson, it was over for the running back in Cleveland.

Once you’ve lost your franchise quarterback, you’re done.

The six-month-long saga ended Thursday with Johnson being traded to the Texans on Thursday for a fourth-round pick in 2020 that can become a third if he’s active for 10 games, which is highly likely.

Mayfield is The Franchise, and almost everything in Browns Town is geared towards supporting him. Hiring Freddie Kitchens was all about Mayfield. The two developed a bond and Mayfield trusts him implicitly. The Browns made the blockbuster trade for Odell Beckham Jr. to give Mayfield a dangerous weapon. They signed Kareem Hunt in large part to give him another.

They signed third-string quarterback Garrett Gilbert in part because he and Mayfield are longtime family friends from Austin’s Lake Travis High School. Rashard Higgins has new life here because of his good friend Mayfield.

If Mayfield is no longer in your corner, it’s time for a change of scenery.

When Johnson took the podium on the first day of minicamp and said there was nothing the Browns could do to mend the fences and that he still wanted out, Mayfield listened in from the back, shaking his head.

By that time, Mayfield had spent the entire offseason grinding it out with Nick Chubb and Dontrell Hilliard, and he had no use for a player who wasn’t all in. So when he stepped up to the mic, he let Johnson have it, saying his plight with the Browns was “self-inflicted” and that “he better do his job.”

That day, the husband of Johnson’s former agent Kristin Campbell, tweeted legendary 2 Live Crew rapper Luther Campbell, clapped back at Mayfield on Twitter.

“F— Baker Mayfield for saying that dumb s--- about Duke Johnson,” he tweeted. “I guarantee you be the one to divide this locker room up. You are not in Texas at Cracker Barrel.”

The flap was more of a distraction than the Browns needed, especially for a player who had been steadily falling out of favor with the club.
Day one of Cleveland Browns' minicamp

Duke Johnson and the Browns have reached the point of no return

It's time for the Browns to trade Johnson and eliminate the distraction.

Mayfield’s remarks also prompted some of Johnson’s best friends on the team to discuss in a players-only setting the unwritten rules of getting in a teammate’s business.

“I think we were just bringing each other together as a team,’’ linebacker Christian Kirskey told cleveland.com on July 29. “That’s all it was. It’s no problem.’’

Mayfield seemed to get the message, and by the time camp opened July 25, he said of he and Johnson “we’re good.”

But Mayfield’s remarks were indicative of how the organization felt about Johnson. The club’s faith in the 2015 third-round pick began to erode last season when he got off on the wrong foot with former offensive coordinator Todd Haley and his touches decreased considerably.

In October, he told cleveland.com, "I don’t think these games have to be as hard as they are. I think I can help this team win given more opportunities.''

Johnson frustrated by his lack of chances

Johnson got his head on straight Wednesday after chatting with the teammate who was briefly the starting quarterback.

Johnson’s playing time didn’t improve under Freddie Kitchens, and by the end of the season, his touches had decreased from 156 in 2017 to 87 in 2018. But things really went south when Browns GM John Dorsey signed Kareem Hunt in February and proclaimed that Johnson wasn’t expendable “yet.”

Johnson asked to be traded shortly thereafter, and the wheels went in motion for the trade that took place on Thursday.

Despite the Browns’ public proclamations that Johnson would be a large and valuable part of the offense in 2019, the reality was always that they’d trade him if they got the right offer — a third- or fourth-round pick.

Considering that Johnson has played in all 16 games in each of his first four seasons, the Browns are likely to get the third-rounder — a considerable haul for a running back these days.

Johnson and Mayfield got what they wanted too. Johnson got the change of scenery he’s wanted since February, and Mayfield, in bid to win a championship, no longer has a player on his offense that doesn’t want to be here.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/08...-kay-cabot.html

Now, I get that folks will bad-mouth MKC and continue to rage on, but I would guess that she has more contact w/the team than any of you.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Do you actually READ the articles you post that have these ridiculous headlines?

THIS is about as opposite a paragraph that can be written when compared to the headline:

"Despite the Browns’ public proclamations that Johnson would be a large and valuable part of the offense in 2019, the reality was always that they’d trade him if they got the right offer — a third- or fourth-round pick."

There is a reason why people are critical of MKC.

Legend
Legend
Well, MKC stated that Johnson demanded a trade as soon as Hunt was signed, and that he would be traded as soon as the right offer came along. Also that Baker's comments were indicative of how the Browns felt about DJ. MKC contradicted herself between the first paragraph and those statements.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Duke has not been lighting it up in Houston. Based on what he is doing there, we fleeced them.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Duke was never as good as percieved
A average RB on very bad offenses

B
1st String
1st String
B
However, Duke was a very good receiver out of the backfield or from the line, either way, and Baker could use a good safety valve, with Njoku and Higgins injured.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BarkinMad
However, Duke was a very good receiver out of the backfield or from the line, either way, and Baker could use a good safety valve, with Njoku and Higgins injured.

He could use one, but I'm not sure he's mature enough to see it. By the time the play is ripe -- he's already looking way downfield for the big play.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I'll pin it on Baker if I like and you and the rest of the crowd can't do a damn thing about it.

Right, you can. But this comment here shows that you live for conflict. Congrats, you are an internet tough guy.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BarkinMad
this was my thought, too ... not that Duke is some sort of huge game changer, just that he was a reliable guy near the line for Baker to check to

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet that was in one down sets when Duke was the only RB. Chubb can do the exact same thing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Duke Johnson active again for Texans yesterday, making it 5 games. Halfway to the 10 games needed to make that 4th round pick a 3rd.

https://twitter.com/BrownsMockDraft/status/1181657597088124930

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Duke Johnson active again for Texans yesterday, making it 5 games. Halfway to the 10 games needed to make that 4th round pick a 3rd.

https://twitter.com/BrownsMockDraft/status/1181657597088124930
seems like he’ll get there

Legend
Legend
I hate to keep bringing back this thread, but I’ve mentioned it a few times so far through 6 weeks. And last week’s turnover in the KEY part of the game to Hilliard made me immediately think: “What if that was Duke Jonson?” I still contend that we miss him to some degree. I think he was a safety valve and a reliable player ... and let’s be honest, it seems like our O is missing that reliable type threat. Yes, we have talent and yes Duke intimated that he didn’t want to be here ... but, I think he would have had a role and would have helped

P
Legend
Legend
P
Forcing players to stay somewhere they don't want to be is not a good look. We got a lot for Duke. In the long run it is more valuable to have the good will of players we may wish to sign in the future than anything we may have gained by forcing Duke to stay here for the short term.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I hate to keep bringing back this thread, but I’ve mentioned it a few times so far through 6 weeks. And last week’s turnover in the KEY part of the game to Hilliard made me immediately think: “What if that was Duke Jonson?” I still contend that we miss him to some degree. I think he was a safety valve and a reliable player ... and let’s be honest, it seems like our O is missing that reliable type threat. Yes, we have talent and yes Duke intimated that he didn’t want to be here ... but, I think he would have had a role and would have helped

This will be moot in 2 weeks.. Because Hunt replaces hilliard and Hunt is better at running/receiving than Johnson.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

This will be moot in 2 weeks.. Because Hunt replaces hilliard and Hunt is better at running/receiving than Johnson.
yeah I agree .. problem is it MAY have already cost us one game. And to me, one game victory in a potential playoff year is worth more than a mid round pick

O
Legend
Legend
O

4 weeks. Hunt will return in two weeks but will not play until week 10.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
says who?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
Kareem Hunt underwent sports-hernia surgery on Thursday morning.
It's a 4-6 week timeline, so Hunt should make a full recovery prior to his return to action in Week 10. He won't be permitted to be at the Browns' facilities during his suspension. Nick Chubb could work as the offense's featured back for the entire season with a strong first half, regardless of whether or not Hunt is in game shape come November. Chubb averaged 17.5 rush attempts and 2.9 targets per game in 2018 during his time as a starter while splitting snaps with Duke Johnson, so it's tough to imagine him ever taking a complete backseat in this backfield. Hunt is little more than a late-round stash in redraft leagues.
Dominate with our Draft Guide: Check out our running back projections!

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/8823/kareem-hunt

His suspension is up after game 8, but there must be some rule about him needing to practice or condition because several articles I've read say he won't play until week 10. I'm also not sure if this is Browns game 10 or week 10 which would include the bye week.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/15/19 04:06 PM.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Thats crazy.. but then there's this

Browns running back Kareem Hunt will be heard from this fantasy season and should be able to help your team down the stretch if you’re still in the playoff mix.

Hunt is set to return to the Browns after Cleveland’s Week 8 game against the Patriots. The rest of Cleveland’s schedule is pretty easy after Week 8 as they’ll play the Broncos, Steelers (twice), Dolphins, Bengals and Cardinals (twice). Their two toughest games in the second half of the season, against the Bills and Ravens, are both at home.

https://www.metro.us/sports/bet/advice/p...ck-return-debut

O
Legend
Legend
O
Maybe they mean 'week 10' of the season, which would mean our game #8 is played in week 9 of the season and he would return week 10. That might be why I'm confused.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah that makes sense

O
Legend
Legend
O
During his suspension, Hunt will miss games against the Titans, Jets, Rams, Ravens, 49ers, Seahawks, Patriots, and Broncos. He'll be eligible to return to the field for the team's Week 10 game against the Bills. Prior to that, the backfield workload will presumably fall to Nick Chubb, who had an excellent rookie season in 2018 and has seen both of his prior backfield competitors (Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson) traded in the past year

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/karee...ame-suspension/

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/15/19 04:11 PM.

Legend
Legend

yeah I agree .. problem is it MAY have already cost us one game. And to me, one game victory in a potential playoff year is worth more than a mid round pick

Browns RBs NOT named Nick Chubb are averaging barely 3 touches per game combined.. Hilliard is averaging 1 touch per game..

So this begs several questions:
If DJ was here and getting all of those touches, what would his attitude be getting 3 touches per game?

If DJ got more touches, they would almost have to take away touches from Chubb, who everybody thinks should get MORE touches, not less. Do we want to take touches away from Chubb?

Why did we have a guy getting 1 touch per game and who has *checks notes* 0 catches this season as the primary read on a key drive to potentially win the game?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Duke’s been good today again ... one more game active should be easy

Legend
Legend
JC

I wonder if he's still frustrated being stuck behind the "bell cow" Carlos Hyde. Together they provide a formidable attack but Duke has been getting about 25% of the carries.

"Not provided the kind of production" and "under-utilized" are still the terms that are following him, week after week, season after season.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Duke Johnson Traded

Link Copied to Clipboard