Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
If Dorsey allowed the QB to pick his own HC then that isn't good.

I don't agree. I have seen the Baker Boys like Fate get on me about that, but I don't see it as a big negative. Dorsey believed in Baker and he did his best to put him in the best situation to succeed. That is why he traded for OBJ and signed Hunt. It's why he gave him his coach.

What is wrong w/that? I wasn't insulting Dorsey or Baker when I made that claim. I think it makes sense.

The only caveat is if Baker is good enough to warrant such faith?

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: pfm1963
We need to get Baker's college coach, Mile Reilly from OK.

Yo Fate. Remember when you made fun of me on the Hype thread about this subject? A lot of posts that are similar in nature lately.

Frankly, I do not remember.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Are we allowed to have nice things?....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We need to get Baker's college coach, Mile Reilly from OK.

Yo Fate. Remember when you made fun of me on the Hype thread about this subject? A lot of posts that are similar in nature lately.

Frankly, I do not remember.

You should have told him...
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
I rest my case.

I wish that this would be true, but it won't be. You will feel the need to attack me in some lame-ass attempt to defend Baker.

Feel free to prove your case that i ever attacked you about Baker. More lies.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Let me say again.

WE HAVE A ROOKIE HC WHO WAS NEVER A COORDINATOR. LAST SEASON HE WAS A RUNNING BACKS COACH, WHO SUBBED AS OC AND LET THE PLAYERS INVENT THEIR OWN PLAYS.

HE IS UNQUALIFIED. THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

THE END.

This is the biggest problem. 100% yes.

I'm hopeful he can figure it out. He's got 11 games. If he doesn't, we can't wait and see. Time to go. This is a results based league. You can't waste Baker, OBJ, Jarvis, Chubb, Garrett, etc on a coach who can't produce results.

Yo Fate. You feeling me yet? LOL

I never advocated the hiring of Freddie. Stop making things up.

That isn't what I said. I told Fate on the Hype thread that the fans would turn on Freddie. I wasn't even talking about you.

I am going to ignore you now because it is obvious that you are the one making things up. Good night.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Let me say again.

WE HAVE A ROOKIE HC WHO WAS NEVER A COORDINATOR. LAST SEASON HE WAS A RUNNING BACKS COACH, WHO SUBBED AS OC AND LET THE PLAYERS INVENT THEIR OWN PLAYS.

THE END.

I'm hopeful he can figure it out. He's got 11 games. If he doesn't, we can't wait and see. Time to go. This is a results based league. You can't waste Baker, OBJ, Jarvis, Chubb, Garrett, etc on a coach who can't produce results.

That isn't what I said. I told Fate on the Hype thread that the fans would turn on Freddie. I wasn't even talking about you.

I am going to ignore you now because it is obvious that you are the one making things up. Good night.

Or maybe Freddie deserves it. He is a crap HC so far.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Are we allowed to have nice things?....

Like I have said for a long time, Baker's big mouth upsets opponents and it draws unnecessary attention from opponents. There was a reason why the Kansas dudes would not shake his hand and then frustrated him enough where he grabbed his junk in front of a packed stadium and a TV audience. There is a reason why Bosa did what he did.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Or maybe Baker is a crap QB?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Let me say again.

THE END.

Or maybe Freddie deserves it. He is a crap HC so far.

Um. Yes. 100% yes.

Anyone watching the first 5 games saying coaching isn't the issue isn't really paying attention to the first 5 games.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
ooo

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
E
Legend
Legend
E
Baker is a big boy who can handle some trash talk.

Do you ever go out in public? In Browns gear? To a bar? You will receive about the same trash talk.

Big effing deal. But "OMG HE'S A TARGET!!! PEOPLE ARE TRASH TALKING!!!"

This is football, dude.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Lol a third stringer had a better QBR than mayfield.

All this talent...and he does have time to throw.

And why is baker still throwing these fade away passes rolling to the right?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Kyle Shanahan is an underrated coach.

I'm ok to admit that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
If Dorsey allowed the QB to pick his own HC then that isn't good.

I don't agree. I have seen the Baker Boys like Fate get on me about that, but I don't see it as a big negative. Dorsey believed in Baker and he did his best to put him in the best situation to succeed. That is why he traded for OBJ and signed Hunt. It's why he gave him his coach.

What is wrong w/that? I wasn't insulting Dorsey or Baker when I made that claim. I think it makes sense.

The only caveat is if Baker is good enough to warrant such faith?

What qualifies Baker Mayfield, a ROOKIE quarterback, to hire the head coach of the Cleveland Browns? I like Baker, but I don't like him that much. I don't like ANY player enough to let one of them make those kinds of decisions. If our GM deferred to a player on such an enormous decision I have a big problem with that. Not enough to fire him, as I really like Dorsey and he's done a magnificent job overall. However, allowing Baker or any other player to hire an HC is a terrible idea. I hope that wasn't the case. In hindsight, we should have hired Williams on a two year deal with the understanding that he keep Kitchens as OC and if he refused then hire BA. Too late now. So the best we can hope for is for FK to pull it out and get it together. We are 2-3. New systems, new coaching staff, new players. The first half was always going to be the worst half. If we can make a surge in the last half of the season who knows what might happen. We have a really really good RB coming back the last 8 games. That will be quite a two headed monster type backfield just in time for the sloppy weather.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
E
Legend
Legend
E
Kyle Shanahan is an underrated coach.

I'm ok to admit that.

He should have been our HC.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Spirit........I am not really arguing w/you. I am just saying that if they truly believed in Baker, it would make sense to give him everything he wants. I am not insulting Baker. I am not insulting Dorsey. It just kinda makes sense. Again, the only caveat is if they overrated Baker.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
With better coaching we could be 5-0.

Even if QB is a weakness in anyone's eyes, with the rest of the talent on this team we shouldn't be blown out in 2 of 5 games.

Im shocked how many people want to blame the QB. Actually, not really... there was a lot of hate for Baker before we drafted him.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Tonight should end the silliness that says we have a good OL...because we don't...didn't...haven't...just...no.

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
its still early in the year and still in the hunt

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We lost this game upfront, in retrospect we should have drafted OL first

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
You may not like this, but anyone loving an opposing defender "showing up" your team's QB under any circumstance isn't rooting for the right team. I'm not mad, that's just disappointing and pathetic.

Ohio State is my team and Baker showed them up, so there is that...

Btw...............I could care less what you think.

How much less could you care?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Too much (supposed) talent to let a rookie coach cut his teeth and take his lumps learning by trial and error. You can't keep squads together long enough anymore to allow it. Most people don't learn to drive in a Mercedes. Trouble brewing...

Legend
Legend
Takeaway #1 for me tonight: Shanahan ran CIRCLES around Freddie. We have the worst HC in the league right now. Heck, even with Wilkes (who KNOWS SF very well) we had no chance. I watched with ENVY of the 49ers offensive scheme and play calling ... truth be told, if we had Shanny as the HC, Baker would look better IMO.

Takeaway #2 for me tonight: We are now in the “concerned” mode when it comes to Baker. He has looked like dog poo since the TB preseason game .. and has gotten worse and worse. No confidence, no accuracy, no rhythm ... he’s being taken to school as well.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The 49ers are a team put together the way the Browns may have thought they were...but last night showed a more realistic view of the Browns.

Do the Browns get to be the type of team that the 49ers are in just one year?...like so many of our fans may have thought?

I say Browns fans have been "SO UNREALISTIC" about where this years team should stack up when it comes to rebuilding for the long term.

The 49ers rebuilt their team IN JUST ONE YEAR!!!...didn't they?

THE CORRECT ANSWER...NO!...no the 49ers went 6-10 finishing in 4th place in their division in 2017, in the first full year under Shanahan.

The 49ers regressed to only 4 wins last season, year number 2 under Shanahan. I'm sure their were many 49er fans that were hoping that Shanahan would be fired.

This year, the third season where the 49ers players are playing under the same coach in the same system, 3 years in a row. The 49ers looked like a team that some Browns fans thought we had in Cleveland.

Once the Browns get to the level where the 49ers are, some ...many of the players presently on this team today, will not be around when the Browns are finally done "rebuiling".

A little food for thought for the short-sighted Browns fans, who had their dreams and expectations shocked back into "reality".

Last edited by mac; 10/08/19 05:34 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
https://mobile.twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1181465080522661888

Baker didn’t shake hands in the beginning of the game apparently

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
mac #1675278 10/08/19 05:53 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: mac
The 49ers are a team put together the way the Browns may have thought they were...but last night showed a more realistic view of the Browns.

Do the Browns get to be the type of team that the 49ers are in just one year?...like so many of our fans may have thought?

I say Browns fans have been "SO UNREALISTIC" about where this years team should stack up when it comes to rebuilding for the long term.

THE CORRECT ANSWER...NO!...no the 49ers went 6-10 finishing in 4th place in their division in 2017, in the first full year under Shanahan.

The 49ers regressed to only 4 wins last season, year number 2 under Shanahan. I'm sure their were many 49er fans that were hoping that Shanahan would be fired.

This year, the third season where the 49ers players are playing under the same coach in the same system, 3 years in a row. The 49ers looked like a team that some Browns fans thought we had in Cleveland.

Once the Browns get to the level where the 49ers are, some ...many of the players presently on this team today, will not be around when the Browns are finally done "rebuiling".

A little food for thought for the short-sighted Browns fans, who had their dreams and expectations shocked back into "reality".

Liked the post, the only issue I have is that Kitchen is not Shanahan...

I was one of the very few who liked Todd Haley...now that he is not here and IMHO it shows..

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Others have said it in more or less words, I’ll say it also. More that anything else this was squarely on coaching IMO. Lack of preparation. Lack of mental readiness. They don’t dynamically adjust. They don’t seem to handle adversity well. Other teams know at this point that the way to beat the Browns is through easy confusion and disruption because once knocked off their plan, they don’t recover well and adjust. We’re a classic momentum team. Just don’t let us establish any momentum and we don’t have the wherewithal to quickly pivot.

I am NOT alluding to replacing Kitchens. He should be given every chance to succeed and that means sticking with him through the inevitable black eyes of couple season. He’s still very green. (I do wish we hadn’t hired someone so green but that’s in the past). But a major thing to watch with this team is if, as the season progresses, the team starts coming back from behind, makes things interesting even if still not winning, doesn’t give up, makes adjustments. If they don’t and they still lose badly to good teams, win with pure talent against marginal ones while still blowing the occasional dumb game, then it’s not looking good IMO. It’s about being able to turn when down and break negative momentum. To know when the other teams primary defensive strategy is just pure disruption, shoving a stick in our spokes because we’re simply not a team that adjusts or improvises well. That takes a well led team.

Right now they look poorly led. The game plan was not a good one. There does not seem have been contingency plans or much thought given to what the 9ers were going to do to specifically disrupt them. The 9ers plan seemed to be pretty simple. I cannot believe we simple don’t have the talent to sell out against the run and establish our own run.

Anyway, I could go on but won’t. On to Seattle.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
It looks like we have a bad HC. Dorsey made the wrong decision regarding Kitchens.
The OL is bad, especially the tackles.
Baker has regressed. Playing like a rookie.
Have a Jeckle and Hyde team. Looks good one week and bad the next.
Penalties continue to be a problem and the head coach doesn't know what to do about it.

Legend
Legend
I cant help but wonder if we’d look much better with an experienced HC (like Bruce Arians, Mike Munchak, etc ... just one of the average NFL HC’s) ... I think this team already had too much youth, inexperience, and unknown. Adding a rookie HC (with no experience) might just be too much for us to overcome this year

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

--Baker has been awful this year. He is a one read qb and holds the ball way too long. He stares down receivers and is unable to throw it away when pressured. Overrated.

--Shanny schooled Freddie. He is the best offensive play caller/schemer in the league. Freddie is not.

--This will make y'all mad, but loved seeing Bosa simulating Baker's flag planing gesture. Screw you Oklahoma!

--I wonder how many times OBJ practiced returning punts. I'm guessing zero. Another panic move.

--How many overthrows did Baker have. Yep, height means nothing.

--The Scottish Hammer and Seibet did their job.

--We complain about our OL, but our OL has more talent than theirs. The difference? Scheme. We were out-coached.

I stopped watching in the 3rd. It was too hard to stomach.

I will add that our tackling was putrid. Putrid. We were making contact short of the 1st down but SF plowed on to get the first. Multiple times.

It seemed the game was over when Calloway batted a TD into a pick. That was a score, at the end of a fairly good drive that would have pulled us close. Instead it is SF ball on the other side of the 50.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think 5 games in to the season is way early to make statements that our coach is bad. He may end up being that, but now isn't the time to think that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Tonight should end the silliness that says we have a good OL...because we don't...didn't...haven't...just...no.

They were abused all night. SF lived in our backfield and even got a sack rushing TWO! How anybody can defend the OL tonight is mind boggling. That crap performance wasn't just due to Baker holding the ball too long. He was holding it because he was running for his life. I'm not absolving Baker. He could have done a much better job throwing the ball away or dumping it off.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I cant help but wonder if we’d look much better with an experienced HC (like Bruce Arians, Mike Munchak, etc ... just one of the average NFL HC’s)

You mean like Greg Williams. Although I kept my mouth shut at the time, I was 'miffed' that we didn't keep the status quo from the end of last season...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I cant help but wonder if we’d look much better with an experienced HC (like Bruce Arians, Mike Munchak, etc ... just one of the average NFL HC’s)

You mean like Greg Williams. Although I kept my mouth shut at the time, I was 'miffed' that we didn't keep the status quo from the end of last season...
Yeah, I get why he wasn’t selected (I think all of the NFL owners may have a pact not to hire him, at least silently) ... but someone like that and have Freddie sticks as OC seems to be the path that made most sense.

But, what do I know lol

2nd String
2nd String
Just when they gave me a glimmer of hope that we were relevant again, they go back to what they have been since the re-birth. I think I'm going to take a break. I will catch up on my Walking Dead on Sunday's.

Being a Browns fan is like getting a kick in the nads every week.

Last edited by Southwestdawg; 10/08/19 07:29 AM.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
F
Legend
Legend
F
Oline is not very good, we need to stick to quick 3 step and pass plays and runs.

Baker is off. He's not playing well, part of it seems to be lack of trust in the line. Large part is he seems confused or not sure of himself.

We can't overcome adversity. Almost immediately after that long opening run by SF, the team looked defeated.

Our defense STILL cannot stop the run.

Def Still giving up those 10-15 yard plays easily to TE's.

On a side note...ESPN sucks for games.

The announcers babble about all kind of things, most have nothing to do with the game.
They seldom show a replay, especially on objectionable plays.
How many times did they not air the ref's explanation of a challenge?
And the half time show crap just sucks. I didn't tune into MNF for music videos.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: mac

Liked the post, the only issue I have is that Kitchen is not Shanahan...

I was one of the very few who liked Todd Haley...now that he is not here and IMHO it shows..

Was the Shanahan in his first season as the 49ers headcoach the same as the Shanahan today?

The 49ers winning 6 games in yr one under Shanahan then winning only 4 games last year under Shanahan's leadership. It took Shanahan 2 full seasons as HC to turn the 9ers around.

Good coaches learn from their mistakes and improve year to year...Shanahan did and hopefully Freddy will too.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm sure he meant "couldn't." I'm guessing he was weary.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
In defense of the Oline, Baker has been part of the problem.

We weren't playing as a team and Freddie said it best when he said they have to do a better job coaching these guys.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 3 49ers 31 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard