Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
In the NFL, many teams are bunched together, with a few truly elite teams.

What makes the difference? Making plays when at the end of the game. That's why these bad calls matter so much.

The bad replay didn't hurt us right there, because we scored after stopping the Hawks and then scoring to take the lead on the next possession. However, that refusal to overturn a fairly obvious call did hurt us later on a catch along the sideline that could have been reviewed, but we were out of reviews. The "blindside block" was one of 2 really bad calls on the very same drive. Could we have driven and won the game there? Who knows .... but we will never know, because that opportunity was stolen from us.

Game officials should face punishment for truly bad calls. If players and coaches are punished for complaining about the officials, then the officials should face punishment for screwing up fairly obvious calls.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Agree 100%.

Most mad I've been all season.

Freddie doesn't realize his responsibility is to win the game. That's it. Nothing more. Make your decisions with that as your foundation.

He's currently making decisions to showcase his talent as a coach and play caller.

Make decisions to win the game, not showcase Freddie.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I see no excuse for what happened just before the half. Freddie in his press conference said he wanted to score, hold them and score again.

Did he really say that? crazy

I am usually fairly quiet during games. I don't cheer a lot or yell a lot. I take a more analytical approach. My wife and I normally watch the game on separate TVs because I don't like to talk during the game. I want concentrate on the game. However, at half time I went to the railing and called down to her about how dumb we were at the end of the first half. I was really, really angry w/how we managed the clock. I could not figure out why Baker was not winding the play clock down and why we were passing.

And come to find out that Freddie wanted the ball twice to Seattle's once?!?! You do this w/a double digit lead? Seriously?

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 10/14/19 12:39 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
I will reiterate something I said earlier though...I've never seen so many unlucky bounces and so many picks hit the receivers hands before. That's not to excuse his poor play, but more of an observation.

Its a good observation. Part of the problem is his throws are tending to be a touch behind receivers, but the other thing is it appears that our WR aren't quite prepared for the velocity on Baker's throws. When was the last time anyone saw Beckham with 2 drops in a game? Two of the throws yesterday were tipped and picked off, and the would-be TD to Callaway vs the Niners likewise all had some stank on them. Maybe our WRs need to practice with the Jugs machine set up to throw a little behind them and the speed control set all the way up to 11. It also wouldn't hurt to get Higgins on the field, because he doesn't seem to have any issues catching Mayfield's throws. Last, and most important, Baker needs to work on not being late over the middle on his throws.

Edit: Sorry, I meant this to be a reply to Rish, but clicked EXCL ... I'm pretty new here. blush

Last edited by Dave; 10/14/19 12:45 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
I see no excuse for what happened just before the half. Freddie in his press conference said he wanted to score, hold them and score again.

Indeed.

It's an undisciplined, reckless mindset.

On the last two offensive series of the first half:

“I thought about scoring. I thought about scoring, using my three timeouts to get the ball back and score again. That was the mindset I was in.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/10...transcript.html

R
Legend
Legend
R
I was so angry that my wife and daughters and dog left the room. We also had our front door open. No telling what the neighbors thought. I'll probably get some strange looks next time a walk through the neighborhood.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Indeed.

It's an undisciplined, reckless mindset.

On the last two offensive series of the first half:

“I thought about scoring. I thought about scoring, using my three timeouts to get the ball back and score again. That was the mindset I was in.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/10...transcript.html

I was driving home after the loss when I heard this. I almost drove off the road I was so pissed hearing that nonsense. It was a press conference so he could have been spouting off anything that came to he mind first. But if he really meant that....what a stupid thing to say/think.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Like I said..Freddie really needs someone on the sidelines that can veto some of his stupid things..like coaching the coach kind of thing. Or if guys like monken and Wilks can but aren't allowed to then that needs to change. Sometimes you just can't get out of your own way, it gets even worse as the results do. But you would think being in the league as long as he has, theres just situational norms that you do based on score, time on clock, position on field, down and distance. Things just about every coach does... we don't seem to do those things

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just normalcy for a Browns fan. Along with anger, frustration, disgust, a little depression, gas, bloating and heartburn. Always keep the tums and maalox at arms length especially as you get older. thumbsup

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 10/14/19 01:19 PM.
Legend
Legend

Transcript from Freddie press conference.

"On the last two offensive series of the first half:

==================================================

Hard to understand that? I didn't listen to it I read it.

If Freddie can not be strategic in clock management,and situational play calling then we have a problem.

Play calling? Will always be subject to Monday morning questioning. It is right if it works.Wrong when it does not.

This is not about play calling per say. It is about situational game control. Score, time on clock, who gets the ball in the second half. How you have played. Who you are playing. Your strengths. Field position.

This was a simple situation. All factors need to be considered. In this situation everything screamed to be conservative. Run the ball. Eat clock. Take the score you can get. Go into the half with everything in your favor.

Ok. You make a mistake. It happens. But you have to review all decisions in a game. Look in the mirror and think what should I have done? Learn from it. Don't repeat mistakes.

If you ignore that mental process and justify your own actions. That is a problem because then you can repeat mistakes and believe you are correct when you are not.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only knock I have on Freddie right now, he is babying these injured guys.

4 weeks for hammy for TWO different players? Higgins not even playing? Wasn't he the one saying Duke should dress when he was hurt on hard knocks last season.

I need some more information here, it's going to what 6 weeks of not playing for two players with hammys???? Far as I know they were torn or serous but every week they do not play?

L
Legend
Legend
L
yep Freddie's big intro in hard knocks was him agreeing with Haley that players unless seriously injured need to be practicing. Now Hue's driving the bus comment makes more sense. Easy to say something should be one way when you have zero accountability for the outcome

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
BpG #1678665 10/14/19 01:45 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Oh boy...

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Oh boy...

#FreeToddMonken

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M
Doubling down on idiocy.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Last edited by Milk Man; 10/14/19 01:56 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M

Well, we know it wasn't Higgins.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

That is a problem because you are bound to repeat a mistake that is easily corrected.

Legend
Legend
Game went south after the bad time management before the end of the 1st half.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I would be willing to bet that the play where 2 receivers ran into one another wasn't in the playbook either.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
yep Freddie's big intro in hard knocks was him agreeing with Haley that players unless seriously injured need to be practicing. Now Hue's driving the bus comment makes more sense. Easy to say something should be one way when you have zero accountability for the outcome

I don't think Freddie ever said that. I think he said "they should be dressed". In other words, wearing their uniform. Instead of sitting there in street clothes he felt they should be in uniform "at work".

I never saw him advocate that injured players should be practicing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I don't think Freddie ever said that. I think he said "they should be dressed". In other words, wearing their uniform. Instead of sitting there in street clothes he felt they should be in uniform "at work".

That's correct. He wanted players in uniform and in the position huddles, even if it was a veteran's day off.

L
Legend
Legend
L
everyone is injured during the season..look at tretter last year. 4 weeks for a hamstring on a 23 year old kid is absurd. He's babying the

Legend
Legend
j/c...

Oh boy...

All the talent.. but only 2 wins.. thats coaching my friend.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

That's correct. He wanted players in uniform and in the position huddles, even if it was a veteran's day off.

kinda correct. He still wanted injured guys that could still do something to work out on the side and do position stuff.. thats why he got rid of all the bikes etc this training camp.. He also said he didn't believe in punishing players for penalties like running laps or whatnot.. seems to be working..lol

L
Legend
Legend
L
j/c...

Oh boy...

way to bash your team in the media.. glass houses and all that

Legend
Legend
Quote:
It became evident to me in that game about 10 years ago when they awarded the steelers a 1st down after a measurement clearly showed a good 2-3 inches of chain between the tip of the ball and the pole.

I remember that, they tried to say it was the camera angle that made it look like that.

At least they measured it though, there were a couple times this Sunday when runners went down right at the yellow line (I know the yellow line is unofficial but have you ever seen an instance where it was way off?)... nose of the ball barely at the yellow line and they don't measure. If it is a first down, it's not by more than a couple inches and they just award the first down and move on... seems odd for a sport that will stop the game for every freaking reason imaginable that a few more measurements during the game is suddenly a problem.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
It became evident to me in that game about 10 years ago when they awarded the steelers a 1st down after a measurement clearly showed a good 2-3 inches of chain between the tip of the ball and the pole.

I remember that, they tried to say it was the camera angle that made it look like that.

At least they measured it though, there were a couple times this Sunday when runners went down right at the yellow line (I know the yellow line is unofficial but have you ever seen an instance where it was way off?)... nose of the ball barely at the yellow line and they don't measure. If it is a first down, it's not by more than a couple inches and they just award the first down and move on... seems odd for a sport that will stop the game for every freaking reason imaginable that a few more measurements during the game is suddenly a problem.

Yeah I noticed that too. Seattle's receiver caught the ball, right about at the first down marker. The first ref came up and actually gave us a favorable spot, about a foot short of the yellow line. I was thinking, "wow maybe we got a stop here." And then some other ref just signaled first down and they moved the sticks. No measurement or anything.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

pint?

Legend
Legend
J/c

I wonder which WR ran the wrong route (whether on purpose or out of lack of knowledge) ... and more importantly, when it occurred. It may have led to an INT

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D

My guess is that this was the play where we appeared to run a pick play on our own receiver, resulting in an interception. My next guess is that it was Callaway, because he seems to have a room temperature IQ.

E
Legend
Legend
E
After our 3 tds, we went all pass happy.

That was the mistake. They should have stuck with Chubb.

Terrible play calling.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1. Freddie needs to let go of the play calling and be the HC.

2. We need our injured DB's back

3. THE QB and WR coach needs to figure out why we are tipping Baker's passes to defenders.

4. I wonder who ran the wrong route? I would bet it would be Calloway or OBJ.

5. Freddie basically called his coaching staff/himself/team leaders for not making the talent a team.

6. We keep this hot garbage up... we will be 4-12 to 6-10.

7. We need to work on executing plays and not making dumb mistakes (penalities)

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

pint?

Isnt that on him?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

pint?

Isnt that on him?

he owes all of us a few wink

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 28 Seahawks 32 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard