Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend

Specifically stated that even though the tackles and Kush are not highly ranked that does not make the OL trash.

Also stated that everyone needs to be better starting with Freddie and Baker.

I have been very consistent in stating the blame lies not on a single person or player.

The games lost were not from one error but a combination of errors that snowballed.

A roster is 53 players. Not like basketball. Players get hurt others must step in and play. The quarterback is one player on offense. If an offensive player makes a mistake it affects the play. If a penalty occurs in a key moment it puts the team at a disadvantage. A guy misses a tackle and the result is a TD it is part of the team loss.

Baker has been inconsistent. So has other players on this team. That is part of the problem. It seems like players are taking turns. The result is inconsistent play.

I don't dislike Robinson, Kush or Hubbard they are what they are. Nothing special. Not good. Not horrible.

Baker needs to play better. I have pointed out his mistakes after every game.

But I don't believe he is trash or is "the problem". The team is 2-4 the blame lies on the team.

M
Legend
Legend
M
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/10...nd-average.html

I posted this elsewhere as well - it's not season's grades, it is week 6 only for the offense. Kush and Robinson nearly the same grade. Hubbard worst graded individual on the line. Shocking is this comment: Bitonio was the only starter with a run-blocking grade over 50, which dragged down some grades. .... I wonder if the play calling/scheme may have had as much to do with some of our run struggles?

OFFENSIVE LINE
Joel Bitonio: 71.0.
Wyatt Teller: 60.0.
Greg Robinson: 59.9.
Eric Kush: 59.7.
Justin McCray: 59.3.
JC Tretter: 58.8.
Chris Hubbard: 49.8.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
From the same article, just because we would never want to mislead other posters:

Quote:
Behind the numbers: The line allowed just nine QB pressures and didn’t give up a sack for the first time this season. Bitonio bounced back from a poor game against the 49ers to post the team’s top pass-blocking grade (89.0) and didn’t allow a pressure for just the second time this season. Kush (85.1), Robinson (81.9) and Tretter (80.9) all topped pass-blocking grades of 80, another first this season. Hubbard struggled, earning a 50.9 pass-blocking grade with three pressures and two penalties. Bitonio was the only starter with a run-blocking grade over 50, which dragged down some grades. McCray and Teller combined for six snaps.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
From the same article, just because we would never want to mislead other posters:

Quote:
Behind the numbers: The line allowed just nine QB pressures and didn’t give up a sack for the first time this season. Bitonio bounced back from a poor game against the 49ers to post the team’s top pass-blocking grade (89.0) and didn’t allow a pressure for just the second time this season. Kush (85.1), Robinson (81.9) and Tretter (80.9) all topped pass-blocking grades of 80, another first this season. Hubbard struggled, earning a 50.9 pass-blocking grade with three pressures and two penalties. Bitonio was the only starter with a run-blocking grade over 50, which dragged down some grades. McCray and Teller combined for six snaps.

I guess the insinuation being that I am misleading people?
I disagree - I posted the link.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/16/19 10:00 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: BarkinMad
I still believe the Zeitler for Vernon trade is Dorsey's only real blunder, as Vernon has yet to produce as a pass rusher

Vernon has not produced sacks. He has been pretty good.

Pretty good??????

Vernon has been The Invisible Man. He has not been seen this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend
Legend
Looking at that chart with the color codes for each starter, I’m surprised how poorly Ogunjobi has been

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Looking at that chart with the color codes for each starter, I’m surprised how poorly Ogunjobi has been

I believe that's just for the game vs Seattle.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

I believe that's just for the game vs Seattle.
oh okay, I thought it was for the whole season

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Thanks for this information. I was wrong. Everything I had read previously was that the OL was being graded higher than Baker. But, this info contradicts that. Interesting...

Well, apparently PFF does not take into considerations the Int's and also the time the QB holds on to the ball,or throwing into 2x and 3x coverage...

Also apparently does not account for the OL success in the running game...

That's the problem in massaging the numbers, at some point you are going to end up with something that nobody can identify or relate.

Overall I think OL has been good/average, while QB play has been abyssal.

Last edited by rastanplan; 10/17/19 07:13 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I think Dorsey should be considering this first:

Greg Robinson Chris Hubbard may be benched.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I think Dorsey should be considering this first:

Greg Robinson Chris Hubbard may be benched.
I think both OTs are being considered

Legend
Legend
PFF is very questionable in their ratings, IMHO.

In the Seattle game, where Adarius Taylor played 11 or 12 snaps with no tackles, his grade was within 1 point or so of Joe Schobert's grade for the game. In the previous game, (IIRC) they had Tayloe 20 points ahead of Schobert. (no tackles to 11 tackles, again, IIRC)

So take PFF with a grain of salt.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
That could be quite a debate as to which should sit. Vitamin Pine helps sometimes. Really odd tackle play. Who else can we find to be of help? Robinson needs more feet IMO. I think trying to address this would be a priority in bye week.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
If that MKC article was talking about Hubbard, I might be able to understand it. Robinson, while not at all perfect, is so far down the list of things that need to improve....

When vers pointed out that it was an MKC article, that explained everything.

That said, if Dorsey can land Williams for not too steep of a price, I would love it if we could slide Robinson over to RT and bump Hubbard into that first sub spot. It'll be rough on the oline cohesiveness for a little bit, but we'd be good as far as talent. RG, I think, will work itself out with stronger RT play.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Where there is smoke there is fire..or was fire. The OL play this year has been inconsistent...that's very obvious...Dorsey himself stated that BOTH OTs need to be more consistent.

I won't be surprised if Teller/McCray replace Kush/Hubbard next week...Dorsey traded for those guys for a reason. I would be surprised...but just a little...if Lamm - or someone not named Trent Williams - replaces Robinson.

When you are contemplating replacing 60% of the OL, you don't need to look at PFF or other such stats/ratings...you need to look at the tape. Which is exactly what I think they are doing.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

A couple of things.

--Does anyone remember what was said about things holding the Browns back right before or at the very beginning of last week's telecast? It was something that came from a Brown's insider and the first thing that was said was Greg Robinson was the biggest problem. I can't remember the other two things. One might have have been the huge number of missed tackles. I didn't let it soak in as well as I should have because all I could think about was how Freddie had previously said that he would fire anyone who spoke went to the media w/inside team information. I was thinking it was highly unusual for a team source to publicly criticize their players.

--A second thing is that I noticed that we lined up a TE or even two TEs on the Robinson's side during the game. Typically, teams are right handed and the TE or TEs line up beside the RT. That obviously isn't always the case, but we seemed to lining up our TE or TEs on the left side much more often than would typically be the case.

--Perhaps Robinson is going to be benched when you connect all the dots?

--I really don't know how good or bad Robinson has been, but I hope the Browns really know what they are doing if they bench him. Of all the units on a football team, none of them even come close to the OL when it comes to having continuity. It's so important for these guys to develop chemistry and cohesiveness. In the past, I have likened the OL to a synchronized swimming team or a chorus line. If you are going to make a big change, the bye week is the time to do it, but I think it's a desperate move.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. Robinson may be mediocre, but he's by far the best option we have on the roster to play LT. Making a change there with less talent mid season would only be a disaster with anyone else we currently have on the roster. Trying to replace both Robinson and Hubbard with other players on the roster could be catastrophic. I don't know who this "source " is MKC has, but let's all hope they don't have a clue what's really going on.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
If a guy currently on the roster takes Robinson's starting job I will be rather surprised.

Lamm didn't beat him out in TC...so did he improve since then?

McCray was new after TC, but I don't know about him playing LT. RT? Sure..but LT? I think McCray takes Hubbard's job with Teller next to him. Also, Kush is now the backup C with Corbett gone. If Teller is better physically - and I think he looks much more physical - and is "ready" mentally, now is the time to supplant Kush as a starter and let him (Kush) prepare to be the backup C/LG/RG.

P
Legend
Legend
P
My major concern is continuity. Blocking schemes can be learned on paper and you can execute that in a bubble. But where the continuity comes in is what the players around you do in those situations. The OL is a unit that must work in unison with each other. I don't believe you can learn that without playing in games with the OL as a unit.

I mean just give this some thought. When it comes to your DL, players rotate in and out. Sometimes certain situations cause you to change your DL line up. You rotate players in and out to give starters a breather and keep them fresh. But if you look at your OL, that doesn't happen. You may add an extra lineman ih jumbo packages such as a short and goal or short and third for extra run blocking, but all five of your OL starters play the entire game.

There's a reason for that. If you look at the Seattle game, you'll notice with the exception of Hubbard, all the performance numbers of the OL were greatly improved. That improvement came over time. It comes from the chemistry of your OL playing as a unit.

Now I'm not saying the OL is a great unit. They certainly aren't a highly rated OL and they do have their physical limitations. It's not like they can't be improved upon because they can. But the numbers indicate that as far as their ability will take them, they are becoming and performing better as a unit.

We had a new OL coach at the beginning of the season. With that comes changes. Those changes take time for the OL to learn to implement. The OL performance numbers from the Seattle game show they are beginning to be able to work together to implement those new changes.

It would seem counterproductive to me to try and make major changes just as the numbers indicate things are beginning to get better. The familiarity that these players have accomplished by playing together for the last six weeks and all of the pre season can not be duplicated over the bye week.

It just seems like a very flawed idea from my perspective other than maybe the possibility of Hubbard. His numbers indicate you wouldn't really lose much by replacing him. Even at that I wonder.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I agree with everything you posted there...and they MUST know those things as well. If they are even thinking about changing more than one position, they are acknowledging that the OL is under-performing.

I think Teller and McCray/Forbes were the preferred duo since TC ended...but they didn't know the system or even where is the bathroom.

Kush is a career backup...Hubbard is probably a Guard and has been pretty bad. I don't think changing both of those guys together and at the same time is out of the question.

B
Legend
Legend
B
My thoughts on replacing all these people is who is going to replace them?

Replacing spoiled whole milk with spoiled skim milk isn't any good.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess at this point we'll just have to see how it all plays out.

I'm still not convinced that MKC's "source" even knows what they're talking about. lol

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I was looking at an article that went over trade compensation for a player like Trent Williams.

All things considered age, performance, injury, etc.to net it out:

A second rounder, maybe a fifth or close and a player (not a first stringer) (someone like a backup corner or lb).

Of course Washington has to make the move. They are in control.

Ideally Hubbard would go to backup and Robinson would move to RT.

Williams is 31. He is a very good player. Injury? Everybody gets hurt at some point. Injuries just happen.

He may have four good years left?

He is an experienced player who should be able to step in and adjust quickly. The big question is what kind of shape is he in?

There maybe others who we are unaware of that could be targets?

Freddie his coaches and Dorsey see way more than we do.

We shall see how this turns out.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I guess at this point we'll just have to see how it all plays out.

I'm still not convinced that MKC's "source" even knows what they're talking about. lol

She calls me a few times a week, so she has the inside scoop my friend. tongue

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
What does she call you? wink

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Sir.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Sir.

She has manners. She sure isn't calling me baby.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
She sure isn't calling me baby.

Hopefully you'll get your wish and that will change.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think that Forbes would be our RG if he hadn't gotten hurt. I think that there's a chance he becomes our RG if he is physically able to return after week 8. (and I believe that he will be activated if healthy)

I think that Njoku could be the other to return. He opted not to have surgery on his wrist so he could potentially return after week 8.

If these 2 return, it could be a big pick me up for 2 of our more troubled units. (blocking and receiving)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend

Speculation on my part but it would not be a surprise to me that Njoku is trade bait.

I am kind of expecting a deal before deadline. Njoku, Avery, maybe a corner all in play.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Putting my tinfoil hat on, maybe there was a reason Higgins didn't play a snap on Sunday.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I was looking at an article that went over trade compensation for a player like Trent Williams.

All things considered age, performance, injury, etc.to net it out:

A second rounder, maybe a fifth or close and a player (not a first stringer) (someone like a backup corner or lb).

Of course Washington has to make the move. They are in control.

Ideally Hubbard would go to backup and Robinson would move to RT.

Williams is 31. He is a very good player. Injury? Everybody gets hurt at some point. Injuries just happen.

He may have four good years left?

He is an experienced player who should be able to step in and adjust quickly. The big question is what kind of shape is he in?

There maybe others who we are unaware of that could be targets?

Freddie his coaches and Dorsey see way more than we do.

We shall see how this turns out.

Cordy Glenn is feuding with the Bengals over treatment for his concussion and has requested they release him. Too bad we never trade with Cincy (except for when we do and the fax machine "misfires").

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cordy...for-concussion/

Legend
Legend

I have read Eifert could be a target.

As well as OJ Howard of the Bucs.

Legend
Legend
Eifert? Really? That is a surprise to me. Heard any price tag? Williams may price himself out of Dorseyland.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I have read Eifert could be a target.

As well as OJ Howard of the Bucs.

This is why I love Dorsey.

He knows the other team he calls is gonna leak the story to the media, so he calls every team and now we have no idea who we're targeting. Smart.

Legend
Legend
Eifert played 14 games over the past 3 seasons. He has played 6 this year, so he is about due for a season ending injury. I am not hoping for this, but the odds are against him finishing this season.

Legend
Legend
How about Cordy Glenn (OT from Cincy) ... rumors are he asked for release

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

Yeah, I know. I posted it 4 posts above yours. Good grief.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave

Yeah, I know. I posted it 4 posts above yours. Good grief.
my bad, i only saw the one about Eifert

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Greg Robinson may be benched

Link Copied to Clipboard