Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
Are there any Patriotic Republicans left, or are they extinct?

Apparently republicans as we knew them to be, Country First Freedom Loving Patriots, are now extinct. Prove me wrong.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
V
Legend
Offline
Legend
V
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
R
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,991
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Are there any Patriotic Republicans left, or are they extinct?

Apparently republicans as we knew them to be, Country First Freedom Loving Patriots, are now extinct. Prove me wrong.


It's too easy to prove you wrong. Getting you to understand you're wrong is the real problem.

I've gotten tired of your little socialist utopia echo chamber. I'll be back when there's actually something to talk about.


[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
R
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
V
Legend
Offline
Legend
V
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
My point was that putting a label on an entire group of people is irresponsible, at best. I thought you--of all people--who always talks about empathy and the rights of people, would understand that.

Sorry dawg, hate is hate. Bias is bias. Complaining about one side doing it and then doing the same thing yourself is hypocritical and irresponsible.

Make no mistake, I am a Democrat, but I will not condone despicable behavior by my party. The main reason I was attracted to the democratic party was because of the labeling and narrow-mindedness of the Republican party. Unfortunately, the name callers and folks who assign labels--at least on this board--come from the left. I won't support that and no amount of name-calling and insults will change that fact.

Btw...............I am not voting for Trump. I am just stating that I don't like folks who label others and present false narratives.

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
R
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
Where does OCD put a label on an entire group of people in his post?

Quote:
would understand that


And I understand that calling people out, based on factual proven events, is warranted.

Would you criticize Martin Luther King Jr. for calling out the white moderate?

Here's the full quote.

Quote:
I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

Link

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
V
Legend
Offline
Legend
V
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
Actually, I was thinking of MLK when I made my response. His comments don't have to be classified as to one side or the other. They are universal.

And I am not here to argue. I am here to say that applying labels to entire groups of people, like the OP did, is unfair. I have--and will continue to--support folks who are unfairly branded by labels. I am a Democrat, but no way in the world would I ever say that the opposing party does not have any patriotic Americans. Make fun of me if you will, but I won't back down.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
I didn't label anyone. I made a statement based on observations and asked those individuals that care to prove me wrong to do so. Simple as that.

If they show me one shining example of a Country First Freedom Loving Patriot Republican, I will admit I'm wrong. Simple as that.

I honestly hope they can.

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
V
Legend
Offline
Legend
V
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 55,499
I am not trying to be mean, OCD. I just think that it is unfair to say that all Republicans don't care about their country.

Think about it, bro. That is crazy thinking. I think we can make more progress by being a bit more rational rather than resulting to extremist thinking. Then again, that is just my opinion and I am not saying I am correct.

I am more Cochise than Geronimo. I am more Chief Joseph than Crazy Horse.

I say win w/intelligence, logic, reasonableness, ethics, and morality and only resort to fisticuffs when the other options are exhausted.

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
R
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,433
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am more Cochise than Geronimo. I am more Chief Joseph than Crazy Horse.


You're Native American?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am not trying to be mean, OCD. I just think that it is unfair to say that all Republicans don't care about their country.

Think about it, bro. That is crazy thinking. I think we can make more progress by being a bit more rational rather than resulting to extremist thinking. Then again, that is just my opinion and I am not saying I am correct.

I am more Cochise than Geronimo. I am more Chief Joseph than Crazy Horse.

I say win w/intelligence, logic, reasonableness, ethics, and morality and only resort to fisticuffs when the other options are exhausted.


I get that Vers and you are entitled to your opinions just like the rest of us. And I didn't think you were being mean. What I said was meant to be shocking because I really do want them to show me one example. After watching the Republican leadership lately, I see no redeeming qualities in any of them. They are abandoning this country, it's values, and it's institutions. They won't stand up to the corruption plainly before them. They have a wouldbe tyrant destroying the country from within their party and all I hear is echo chamber conspiracy theories, propaganda, and hate for their fellow Americans. I get called lefty something, lib something, socialist something, crazy, extreme, extremist, un-American by one or more damn near daily. Yet all I want is for them to open their eyes and talk in facts, not partisan lies and gibberish. We don't have to agree on actual politics, but we have to draw uncrossable lines somewhere or we're lost.

I know I'm a patriot. I love this country and what it used to stand for. I don't agree with everything that has been done or has happened for every second of our history, but I still love the country. I'd still risk laying my life down to protect it as an old man the same as when I was young. I'd do that for those I love, for my friends or neighbors, or for the strangers I will never meet. That is a sense of duty that any Patriot should feel. When I look right, I don't see that anymore. So I don't think one true shining example is too much to ask.

Change my mind.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
And if that is not enough to convince you that somebody needs to ask my question maybe you should look at this:

Voters believe US two-thirds of the way to 'edge of a civil war': poll

The average American voter believes the U.S. is two-thirds of the way to the “edge of a civil war,” according to a new Georgetown Institute of Politics and Public Service poll released Wednesday.

The poll showed that when voters were asked to rate divisions in America on a scale of 0-100, with 100 being the “edge of a civil war,” the mean response was 67.23.

The survey also showed a majority of Americans believe that political, racial and class divisions are getting worse, including at least three-quarters of men and women and three-quarters of urban, suburban and rural voters. At least 70 percent of voters in all age groups, as well as white, black and Hispanic voters, feel the same.

The poll reflected lingering concerns from the same poll conducted in April, in which 90 percent of voters reported they were concerned about the “uncivil and rude behavior of politicians.”

While voters agree that societal divisions are growing, they do not appear to agree on the source of the incivility. Majorities of Republicans say Democratic political leaders, social media, large newspapers, CNN and MSNBC are very responsible for the political division, while majorities of Democrats say Republican political leaders, social media, Fox News, wealthy special interests and President Trump are the culprit.

Independents point to social media and Trump as the two actors that are responsible for divisive political discourse.

The poll also showed inherent contradictions in the electorate, with more than 80 percent of voters saying both that “compromise and common ground should be the goal for political leaders” and that they are “tired of leaders compromising their values and ideals and want leaders who will stand up to the other side.”

This contradiction, Georgetown Institute of Politics and Public Service Executive Director Mo Elliethee says, "creates mixed messages for even the most skilled political leader trying to decide whether to be a fighter or a dealmaker.”

The Georgetown poll surveyed 1,000 registered voters from Oct. 6-10 and has a margin of error of 3.1 percent.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/467143...-civil-war-poll

This needs to stop.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,438
E
Legend
Offline
Legend
E
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,438
Only if the civil war happens on the internet.


No Craps Given
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 16,199
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 16,199
Extinct


"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Are there any Patriotic Republicans left, or are they extinct?

Apparently republicans as we knew them to be, Country First Freedom Loving Patriots, are now extinct. Prove me wrong.


They went extinct the same time the Patriotic Democrats did. willynilly


I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,148
M
mac Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
M
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,148
Patriotism...I don't know what happened to the GOP...take Lindsey Grahman for example..while John McCain was alive, Graham seemed to be a Patriotic Republican in the mold of McCain.

But Grahman's Patriotic standards seemed to transform into someone or something else with McCain's death.

There are no more John McCain's in the Republican party.


GM strong...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
You can disagree with people on the policies, but attacking everyone in an entire party isn't right. On this very board we have Republicans who do not stand behind Trump. So you're "one size fits all" isn't even correct when it comes to our own message board, much less nation wide.

I'll throw one out who is taking a lot of heat right now that seems to be putting country over Trump.

Mitt Romney.

You can disagree with him on his policies, but trying to say Romney isn't Patriotic would be wrong.

We agree on some things and disagree on others. But you just posted this to stir the pot and knew better when you posted it.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
4
Legend
Offline
Legend
4
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
The Patriotic GOP is trying to save America from the Traitor Socialists who would destroy her.

Wake Up!

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 10/24/19 11:54 AM.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
Now you claim to be woke.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
I'll give you that Romney and maybe a few others have spoke out on different matters, but they still are not standing up to Trump or breaking with the others blindly doing his will. So I feel completely justified in my stance until I see some actual backbone response from the right.

NOT ONE OF THEM have condemned Trump over Syria/Turkey/Kurds or with Ukraine. And Trump has obviously breached of his oath of office and continues to obstruct and lie during their silence. Some have whimpered that they don't like it, but not a single one has outright condemned the actions. Not one.

So even though we see eye to eye on many things, I can't give them a pass on cowardice or enabling Trump to continue this erosion of our democracy. They are betraying their oaths of office by not standing up like Patriots at one of the most critical times of crisis in our history.

And don't take me wrong, there are some on the left too that are drawing my ire too. But all the republicans are either actively supporting and or defending Trump's actions, or simply dodging their duties over votes. Deplorable.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/24/19 01:42 PM.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
So I pointed out a "Republican who is Patriotic" which was your question. I pointed to members of this very board who are Republicans that don't support Trump and you still feel your question was valid?

"All Republicans" are not actively supporting and or defending Trump's actions.

If after being shown that you were wrong and you still feel validated, maybe that's a part of the problem here.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
I'm talking about leadership. There are plenty of people who vote Republican speaking out against Trump, but Trump's GOP thinks they are 'scum'. But there also plenty who support his destructive betrayals and crimes.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,160
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,160
I was waiting to post until after Pit weighed in. Kudos to him for his response. As to your post; I am not going to dignify it with an answer. It was just made to rile up those on the right and I’m not taking the bait.


#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
Hey, at least you're finally willing to admit that it works both ways among Republicans. That's a start.

wink


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Hey, at least you're finally willing to admit that it works both ways among Republicans. That's a start.

wink


Nah, I've never meant to condemn everyday Republican voters for falling for Trump in 2016. My rage is directed at the morphed party of Trump. Guys like GM can't stand Trump but they are going to vote their values. I'd like to smash that vote but not GM, even though I adamantly disagree with his position on his one reason to vote Trump.

You show a normal thinking republican the facts behind Trump's actions and they are going to condemn him for them. But GM is a bad example because he will most likely still pull the lever for Trump in 2020 over abortion. There are many republicans leaving/left the GOP over Trump. They have the country's interest at heart.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186


"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
I was waiting to post until after Pit weighed in. Kudos to him for his response. As to your post; I am not going to dignify it with an answer. It was just made to rile up those on the right and I’m not taking the bait.


You think? Maybe it was made out of my frustration with the right not doing the RIGHT thing here.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
I didn't mention GM nor was I suggesting GM. There a couple of posters I had in mind. But you would have had to have been paying attention to know who they are. And I'm sure there are others who I have missed.

I don't like to put words in other people's mouths. But they have made it obvious they do not like Trump and do not plan to support him in 2020.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
You think? Maybe it was made out of my frustration with the right not doing the RIGHT thing here.


And there in lies the problem. You and I will probably vote for the same candidate in 2020. But anyone who pays any attention to our posts knows we have disagreements on issues and candidates. That I'm far more of a moderate and you lean far more liberal than I do.

You do realize that only posters like 40 and a few others lump us in as "all being the same"? And that's exactly the same way you are phrasing things.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
4
Legend
Offline
Legend
4
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
If you all vote in Socialism, you are all the same, Socialists!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
Any time you disagree with me it makes me feel much better about the stance I took. You are a part of what's wrong with our country.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
4
Legend
Offline
Legend
4
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
And if you vote for any of these Democrats, you are all the same.

You vote for open borders, the end of America as a Sovereign Nation, and you rob the middle class paying healthcare and welfare to all those who cross those open borders.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903
P
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,903
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
And if you vote for any of these Democrats, you are all the same.

You vote for open borders, the end of America as a Sovereign Nation, and you rob the middle class paying healthcare and welfare to all those who cross those open borders.



...and we’ll make Obama king while we open pizza shops that we run sex trafficking rings out of the basement of....
Take your garbage to the curb. Stop posting it.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
P
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,617
And you just keep spewing right wing propaganda with no substance.

More illegal immigrants were deported under Obama than any other president in history.

See what actual facts do when they face propaganda?

Oh, and BTW, Reagan pardoned almost three million illegal immigrants.


Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
4
Legend
Offline
Legend
4
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
All ten Democratic presidential candidates raise their hands to indicate that they would provide Medicaid benefits to illegal immigrants during the second night of the first Democratic presidential candidates debate in Miami, June 27, 2019.



Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,160
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,160
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Any time you disagree with me it makes me feel much better about the stance I took. You are a part of what's wrong with our country.


The guy does nothing but troll. Even when I agree with him I won’t say so because I don’t want to give him credit for anything.


#gmstrong
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I didn't mention GM nor was I suggesting GM. There a couple of posters I had in mind. But you would have had to have been paying attention to know who they are. And I'm sure there are others who I have missed.

I don't like to put words in other people's mouths. But they have made it obvious they do not like Trump and do not plan to support him in 2020.


Bro, either I'm having issues communicating or you're having issues understanding. I used GM as an example and acknowledged those guy you are talking about. I also said this was about leadership. My OP didn't make that clear but I said it in later posts.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
O
OCD Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,804
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
You think? Maybe it was made out of my frustration with the right not doing the RIGHT thing here.


And there in lies the problem. You and I will probably vote for the same candidate in 2020. But anyone who pays any attention to our posts knows we have disagreements on issues and candidates. That I'm far more of a moderate and you lean far more liberal than I do.

You do realize that only posters like 40 and a few others lump us in as "all being the same"? And that's exactly the same way you are phrasing things.


Again, I meant it that way BUT was talking about their leadership. None of the GOPers in congress are standing up. I feel like I'm responding to you but you are not reading my replies. smh

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
4
Legend
Offline
Legend
4
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 25,823
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Any time you disagree with me it makes me feel much better about the stance I took. You are a part of what's wrong with our country.


The guy does nothing but troll. Even when I agree with him I won’t say so because I don’t want to give him credit for anything.


So what do you consider my trolling?
Especially in a thread accusing Republicans of not being Patriotic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Are there any Patriotic Republicans left, or are they extinct?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5