Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
FATE #1685074 10/30/19 02:58 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: FATE
But do they ask the dumbest questions all the time, after interrupting the previous answer twice?

You see, reporters aren't really about reporting news anymore. It's about shock value and hits on their web site. Selling papers or magazines. Shock sells and they know it.

Hell, we even have a thread in the Tailgate about signing a petition to get Mary Kay fired. Not that I care for what passes for sports journalism anymore, but it is what it is.

So yes, if the press knows they can get under Baker's skin, they will. It's good for their business. The question at that point becomes do we blame the press for asking stupid questions, or do we blame Baker for acting out because they get to him?

These days a lot of people promote the idea of how leaders act out on others. Some prefer leaders who know how to act in the face of adversity. I guess it's all subjective.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1685075 10/30/19 03:04 PM
Legend
Legend
Baker just needs to go to the Belichick/Popovich school of media responses and respond to snarky/stupid reporter questions with even more snark, just to show how stupid the question is.

ExclDawg #1685077 10/30/19 03:05 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Why would he have ever gone away from it? Good grief.

Methinks somebody had a stern talking to.

Dorsey's now making Freddie run laps every time the team has a mental lapse.

You sure can't tell by looking at him. That's the most flagrant case of a Milwaukee Tumor I've seen in awhile.

Tackles are tackles.
ExclDawg #1685078 10/30/19 03:05 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Even that would be an improvement. Or even, "Next question" would work. But the whole storming off thing doesn't work.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Milk Man #1685079 10/30/19 03:06 PM
Legend
Legend

Time available to the coaches could be part of it. The CBA limits the number of hours per day that coached practices can happen, and they are likely trying to work through a TON of preparation during the week.

I could easily see where they would have relaxed certain things in the interest of moving through things better.... and I can easily see where they may now be realizing that this isn't the best idea.

It's part of the learning curve. Anyone that thought a rookie Head Coach would get absolutely everything correct on his first go-around had COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC ideas in their head.

It's painful, and frustrating, but as long as they are actually working through things and the players are finally starting to pop their heads out of their behinds, then it will all pay off in the long run. Even Bellichick wasn't Bellichick as a rookie HC.

Hopefully, the other thing they are getting right going forward is having someone look at things for Freddie before he uses a challenge, because he has not been good at choosing what to challenge, thus far, and he very much needs someone to give him unbiased feedback in real time before he throws his challenge flag.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Rishuz #1685087 10/30/19 03:34 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

Hollywood Higgins was on CBD yesterday saying on air that they needed to start holding players more accountable in practice and return to running laps for mental mistakes.

Legend
Legend

Bravo.

Great answer.

People are human. If anyone thinks this is fun and games in the locker room; wake up.

Think about what goes into being ready to play professional football. Sacrifice, loads of hard work and heavy lifting. The pressure to win is intense.

Some of the crap I have read is sickening. Like Freddie is selfish. Insinuating all kinds of garbage.

The players want to win. Baker cares about winning. The whole team does.

I get people are upset. I understand the lofty expectations. And now major disappointment. But damn.

Baker is our effing quarterback. That is not going to change anytime soon.

All this trash about a single play?

KOB. Baker should be benched? What? Get a clue.

The guy is 7 games into his second season. Look at the history of young quarterbacks.

Milk Man #1685090 10/30/19 03:36 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

Hollywood Higgins was on CBD yesterday saying on air that they needed to start holding players more accountable in practice and return to running laps for mental mistakes.

And we should probably start playing him more to....

Tackles are tackles.
CalDawg #1685092 10/30/19 03:37 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

I am listening to WDVE in Pittsburgh, and they are playing the clip of Baker walking out on TG's question and laughing.

Its def. not playing well.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
I know the play has worked, and there may be times to use it.
I replied with the information I did because you specifically said to pitt "its worked once". It has worked multiple times before. That was just an incorrect statement on your part.

I am going to address other points of you last post, and I don't want you to take these as snide, but I think its important to point out, because I believe you and others are completing missing the point.

Quote:
But I don't like it as a play call specifically because it hangs the ball out there in a very small space. Most pass plays are (hopefully) thrown to an open man.
Any pitch play or screen puts the ball in a very small place. Any hand off as well. So that kind defeats your argument here. Also, Jarvis is a WR, coming in motion behind the line, he should be wide open, when normally he is not going to be running a route. Also, in the NFL, WR are typically not open. There is a saying, if you draw single coverage, your open. Unless its 3-10 and your a NE RB, guys don't get open. Guys may get a little bit of separation, but that's about usually it.

Quote:
In this case, the receiver clearly wasn't open, and the QB had no time to decipher that. Hence the turnover.
I am sorry, you are way off here. 1. The entire premise of the play is for the QB to lead the defense with his eyes. So Baker is not even LOOKING the way of Landry. The play is designed for baker to get the snap, look right (away from Landry) immediately and shovel the ball to landry coming from left to right in front of baker. There is nothing to "decipher" from Baker. Its a bang bang play, with 0 thought process or thinking. He floats the ball knowing his receiver will be there to grab it. Its been done 1000X I am sure since last year and in TC. The only reason the play didn't work, was because someone on the OL didn't block the DL. The RAIN had absolutely 0 to do with the play. Nothing. This was all on whoever was supposed to block Guy.

Quote:
And again, me personally, I would have liked to see some other call. Handoff. Slant. Out. Screen. Anything.
You keep saying its a stupid play call in the rain. Do you realize a slant or screen, or out is more a risk in the rain that this play? Whats harder to do, pop the ball 2 feet in the air in front of you, or throw a dart on a slant with a wet ball? or throw a screen about 10 yards to your right with a wet ball? The RB (who I guarantee you has worse hands than JARVIS) has to catch, secure, and then run with the ball in the rain. A RB that had already fumbled, I believe twice.
Much more room for error as you are putting more force on the ball for a misthrow than lobbying it up like he did. So that makes no sense when you think about it.

Some are blaming Baker, that's just plain nonsense. Some are blaming the rain, that's just as much nonsense. Some are blaming the call, that's nonsense.

The only thing that failed here, was successful blocking by the OL. Plain. And. Simple.

Pretty much agree with everything you are saying. I'll take it a bit further...

I hope this was a lesson to the players, the coaching staff and the dudes working on "scheme" and play-calling.

Although I agree, rain has nothing to do with this play, it is still much higher risk than any normal passing play... In essence, you're asking your QB to make a "no look" pass. That's why execution across the board is that much more critical.

This play is an ironic "anti" microcosm of what we were worried about going forward from last year... things being too simple and not sustainable.

In order for this play to keep a high success rate we need more plays out of the set and more wrinkles so that it is not predictable. I maintain that BB coached his players to look for it and knew it was coming. It has to be more of a "paper-scissors-rock" situation where they see the set and don't know which variation is coming.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
That is good news. Either FK dumbs it down and simplifies his focus or the players will with more failures, penalties, and turnovers. We need to be a lot better at fewer things from which we can build. Ask Dalton about it.

I am reminded a number of years back. A college team had only three plays. They ran two of them either direction, and they had wrinkles off that and limited passing routes. And they won with them because they practiced them endlessly and tweaked them for opponents. Hundreds of plays in a playbook that doesn't score is great for resumes, but not games.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
ExclDawg #1685105 10/30/19 04:05 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker just needs to go to the Belichick/Popovich school of media responses and respond to snarky/stupid reporter questions with even more snark, just to show how stupid the question is.

We're on to Cincinnati.

If anyone hasn't seen it, YouTube the Frank Caliendo Belichick impersonation where he keeps saying we're onto Cincinnati. I can barely type this without laughing as I think about it.

Rishuz #1685107 10/30/19 04:11 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

We're on to Cincinnati.

If anyone hasn't seen it, YouTube the Frank Caliendo Belichick impersonation where he keeps saying we're onto Cincinnati. I can barely type this without laughing as I think about it.

Sorry if I'm yelling. rofl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE5U0ZvmHIk

Thanks for mentioning that. Hilarious.

myka #1685114 10/30/19 04:34 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Oh man, when he holds the paper up...it's classic. If you're having a bad day that will make you laugh.

CalDawg #1685118 10/30/19 04:50 PM
Legend
Legend
I want to see guys drop on the field and do pushups when they commit penalties ... like in Major League. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

I am listening to WDVE in Pittsburgh, and they are playing the clip of Baker walking out on TG's question and laughing.

Its def. not playing well.

Meh, Pittsburgh has always laughed at us. It's up to this team to shut them up this year. Beat them twice and nobody will remember anyone laughing on Oct 30th.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
CalDawg #1685128 10/30/19 05:46 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I get Baker going off on Tony. I have no problem with it either. I wish they'd do it more often.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
CalDawg #1685131 10/30/19 06:01 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
cal, if we only run plays that always work we will be punting on first down. That play has worked multiple times and might have worked Sunday if our blocking had held up.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I get Baker going off on Tony. I have no problem with it either. I wish they'd do it more often.

IMO, it was Mayfield who was out of line, not Grossi. Grossi's question was about the Browns' final possession of the first half, from their own 16 yard line, with 2:19 left in the half, with one timeout left. Here's the play-by-play:

1st & 10 at CLE 16

(2:19 - 2nd) (Shotgun) N.Chubb right tackle to CLV 23 for 7 yards (D.Shelton, J.Jones).

(2:00 - 2nd) Two-Minute Warning

2nd & 3 at CLE 23

(2:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) N.Chubb right tackle to CLV 23 for no gain (J.Collins, L.Guy).

3rd & 3 at CLE 23

(1:15 - 2nd) (Shotgun) B.Mayfield pass short right to O.Beckham to CLV 27 for 4 yards (S.Gilmore).

1st & 10 at CLE 27

(0:51 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Mayfield pass short left to J.Landry to CLV 39 for 12 yards (J.Collins, J.Jones).

1st & 10 at CLE 39

(0:32 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Mayfield sacked at CLV 29 for -10 yards (A.Butler).

(0:28 - 2nd) Timeout #3 by CLV at 00:28.

2nd & 20 at CLE 29

(0:28 - 2nd) (Shotgun) PENALTY on CLV-J.McCray, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CLV 29 - No Play.

2nd & 25 at CLE 24

(0:28 - 2nd) (Shotgun) B.Mayfield pass short left to D.Hilliard to CLV 30 for 6 yards (J.Collins, J.McCourty).

3rd & 19 at CLE 30

(0:01 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Mayfield pass short left to D.Hilliard to CLV 33 for 3 yards (J.Collins).

Grossi asked about "the lack of urgency" and Mayfield responded that they were "behind the chains" due to the penalty, but the penalty wasn't until it was 2nd & 20 with 28 seconds left in the half. Grossi was clearly referring to the time that elapsed between downs before that, but Mayfield responded with "Stop saying 'but' " when Grossi tried to clarify his question. He also dropped the "you never played the game" card on Grossi.

I get that most people here don't like Grossi, but it was Mayfield who was the punk today. He could have just as easily said "next question", but he chose to be fake-angry instead. Not a good look.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
This team is thisclose from the wheels coming completely off the bus. You're a real jerk, NFL Jesus.

Thought we'd get one year of relative fun. smh.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I LOVE THIS!

Browns win 49-10.

me too.

I like the kid a lot. there are so many tings to love about him.

He needs to get back to basics and grind it out. He also needs to imagine taking a Xanax and chill out.

He will be just fine as our QB. He just needs time, better coaching, and consistent team play.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
CalDawg #1685139 10/30/19 07:40 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Did I really read a comment that Baker is now responsible for the offensive penalties. LOL. That's as rationale as blaming the shovel pass interception on Baker. Fair and balanced fans without an axe to grind or an agenda to tout no doubt.

As for the other 300 posts in this thread about the call - I didn't like the play call either. I didn't think about the new LT who may or may not have practiced that play enough ... it was the timing of the play. We hadn't established anything on offense, hell I know the first 4 plays of the day were all passes - and I don't know how many times we ran the ball before the play was called ... but it seems to me that you run that play AFTER you have had a little success and the D might be on their heels a bit? Not as a play to try to kick start a failed game plan. It sort of makes me think of the 4th down draw ... the other team basically said, hey, it might have worked if CLE hadn't run a bunch of draw plays that game already. Timing plays a big part .... on the opposite end of the spectrum - I think the huge screen pass on 3rd down and long was the Patriots first screen of the day. Great call but better timing.

I guess the next thing will be - once we start winning games and Baker plays well - the nay-sayers will simply say we are playing bad teams.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1685142 10/30/19 07:55 PM
J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:
I guess the next thing will be - once we start winning games and Baker plays well - the nay-sayers will simply say we are playing bad teams.

And the homers will say we are heading for the Super Bowl next year. Just as predictable.

I like Baker. I think and hope he will be just fine as the QB of the future. But, he has stunk it up thus far this year, and sometimes behaves like an ass. As usual, the extremes on any subject look and act foolish.

Dave #1685153 10/30/19 08:44 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Meh.

If you want to take it at face value, go for it.

I think some forget the history between Grossi and Baker. Grossi has deemed Baker as Johnny Manziel 2.0 since January last year. He's been on his case and couldn't wait to hair on him much like Cowherd.

It's also interesting how perception changes depending on who is involved. Tom Brady does the same thing, walks out of press conference and all is forgiven. Baker does it and he's a punk kid.

Legend
Legend
Y’all actually like that mayfield is throwing hissy fits on Twitter? Let that be OBJ and y’all would be trashing him right now.

That’s not leadership. Dude was the #1 overall pick, had the world given to him after winning the heisman. Got his pick of HC, got all these weapons, yet is acting like how dare anyone question him.

Man we should’ve drafted Wentz or Watson. I’m already sick of bakers wack ass progressive commercials too.

This man has 6 TDs to 12 picks. He’s under 60% completion. He needs to Shut the hell up and learn how to be a quarterback. Nobody cares about his fake ass chip on his shoulder. Tired of that of crap already.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
devicedawg #1685155 10/30/19 08:48 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
It's also interesting how perception changes depending on who is involved. Tom Brady does the same thing, walks out of press conference and all is forgiven. Baker does it and he's a punk kid.

There IS that little matter of the 6 Super Bowl rings, too. Maybe we could win a few games before we go all Tom Brady at a presser?

Swish #1685159 10/30/19 08:54 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I get Baker hasn't played well, but this whole notion he doesn't know how to play quarterback is silly.

I also don't think he's throwing a hissy fit.

Perception.

Dave #1685160 10/30/19 08:54 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thank you for making my point.

devicedawg #1685161 10/30/19 08:56 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Thank you for making my point.

BS

devicedawg #1685162 10/30/19 08:56 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
The Baker Grossi narrative isn't entirely accurate.

Yes, Grossi was opposed to Baker before the draft but he came around on him last year and even predicted big things for the Browns this year because of Baker.

However, maybe he's done an about face and is back to trashing him. I read - haven't seen myself - that he's been comparing Baker to Kizer on Twitter an in instagatory fashion so maybe Baker is upset with that. Who knows.

As for Grossi's question, anyone with half a brain saw the drive wasn't going to amount to much and the Browns backed off knowing they were getting the ball after the half and not wanting to give Brady another crack at it. Anyone who did not realize this during the game - fan or beat writer - is a moron and is asking stupid questions.

Having said that, Baker needs to spend less time on social media and more time winning games. He needs to grow up and mature. His lack of maturity is a contributing factor to his play, IMO.

Dave #1685167 10/30/19 09:15 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's ok to walk out of a press conference if you've won 6 super bowls.

Rishuz #1685168 10/30/19 09:17 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
We are all still waiting for Grossi to mature....

Swish #1685169 10/30/19 09:17 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Swish
Y’all actually like that mayfield is throwing hissy fits on Twitter? Let that be OBJ and y’all would be trashing him right now.

That’s not leadership. Dude was the #1 overall pick, had the world given to him after winning the heisman. Got his pick of HC, got all these weapons, yet is acting like how dare anyone question him.

Man we should’ve drafted Wentz or Watson. I’m already sick of bakers wack ass progressive commercials too.

This man has 6 TDs to 12 picks. He’s under 60% completion. He needs to Shut the hell up and learn how to be a quarterback. Nobody cares about his fake ass chip on his shoulder. Tired of that of crap already.

I'm down on Baker but I'm also not all that concerned. I think he's going to figure it out and turn it around. I think he's too smart and too talented not to. I think he will end up being the best QB from last year's draft by a wide margin. In order to do it though, he needs to grow up. I'm counting on him doing that.

As for his stats, I think they are indicative of his poor play but also misleading and would indicate he's played much more poorly than he has. I can understand non Browns fans who don't watch Browns games using those stats against him. I don't understand Browns fans who watch every game doing that. I've never seen so many fluky interceptions on a nearly weekly basis. If it wasn't for bad luck he'd have no luck at all.

I don't want to see the fans turn on Baker. I think he's going to make Browns fans proud if he could grow up a little bit.

Swish #1685170 10/30/19 09:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish

Vers? Where you been bro?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
devicedawg #1685172 10/30/19 09:26 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
It's ok to walk out of a press conference if you've won 6 super bowls.

Its called "street cred". Its only arrogant if you haven't done anything to earn it.

JulesDawg #1685173 10/30/19 09:28 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
Quote:

And the homers will say we are heading for the Super Bowl next year. Just as predictable.

I like Baker. I think and hope he will be just fine as the QB of the future. But, he has stunk it up thus far this year, and sometimes behaves like an ass. As usual, the extremes on any subject look and act foolish.

I haven't seen anyone say Baker is playing well or even ok, everyone says hes playing poorly. But some think there are many contributing factors, included in which is Baker himself ....

Others have pronounced him a bust comparing him to Ryan Leaf, and now some are blaming offensive penalties by the other players on Baker. I disagree.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/30/19 09:28 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Rishuz #1685176 10/30/19 09:40 PM
Legend
Legend
Sorry but I don’t want to hear the excuses anymore.

Mason freaking Rudolph, a 3rd round pick and playing with WAY worse talent surrounding him has 9 TDs to 3 pics, and is at 63% completion.

Lamar Jackson, who doesn’t have Landry or OBJ to throw to, has 11 TDs and 5 picks, and a ton of people said he needed to change positions.

Kyler Murray can’t even see over his offensive lineman, is playing with no talent, no line, and a rookie HC who got fired in college. And yet, has 7 TDs and 4 picks, with 63%

I have watched the games just like you, and while SOME of the picks have been bad luck, the majority of them have been to bakers p1ss poor play.

He has crap mechanics. He isn’t reading the whole field, he’s holding on the ball too long, oh and he HASNT been accurate.

You are what your stats and record says you are. And we’re 2-5. I don’t want to hear it.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
CalDawg #1685178 10/30/19 09:48 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Win games and none of this matters. Lose games and it becomes a story.

devicedawg #1685182 10/30/19 09:57 PM
Legend
Legend

The Tony Grossi story with the Browns is well documented.

All of the coaching staff along with Freddie and the players have been prepped for Tony.

It is so obvious in all the pressers. Their view is he has been here for a long time. Pessimism drips from every question.

From all that has happened sure there is frustration.

Nobody is wearing happy faces. They expected more from themselves. Nobody likes to lose. Emotions are on the surface.

This has nothing to do with what needs to take place. Nothing to do with being ready to play Sunday.

Fishbowl NFL. If you liked Baker before. This will not matter. If you didn't like him more fuel to fire yourself up.

My interest is the rest of the season. Not all this media micro BS.

Swish #1685183 10/30/19 10:02 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I get where you are coming from. I'm just saying while this is currently painful there will be brighter days ahead for Baker. They may not be on the timetable we wish them to be unfortunately.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Cont.

Link Copied to Clipboard