Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Dave #1685411 10/31/19 06:30 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:
He was purposely trying to get a particular answer out of Baker, to the point of actually interrupting him. He even tried to reform the question because he wasn't happy with Baker's response.

Grossi's question was about what seemed to be a "lack of urgency" on the downs BEFORE the penalty that Mayfield was going on about. A lot of time ran off the clock between snaps. The clock had gone from 2:19 to :28 before the penalty occurred. When it was clear that Mayfield either misunderstood the question (or chose to misunderstand it), Grossi tried to re-state it. That's when Baker said "stop saying 'but' " and went on to say Grossi didn't know because he had never played the game. At this point Grossi is angry too (IMO), and it results in the accusatory "So you were happy with the results of the drive?" question/retort.

My take is that Mayfield has a hard-on for Grossi and was looking for an excuse to go off on him.

Wonder why a player would not like a reporter who said they'd quit their job if said player was drafted by the team they are being paid to cover. It just makes no sense.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Sarcasm noted. I get that too, but the original question about the apparent lack of urgency (poor clock management) on the final drive of the half was a legitimate one.

Dave #1685414 10/31/19 07:16 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Sarcasm noted. I get that too, but the original question about the apparent lack of urgency (poor clock management) on the final drive of the half was a legitimate one.

It wasn't a legitimate question. It was as clear as day why they weren't rushing. Hell, Romo even called out the reason why.

Rishuz #1685417 10/31/19 07:36 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

It wasn't a legitimate question. It was as clear as day why they weren't rushing. Hell, Romo even called out the reason why.

Here's the play by play on the final drive:

1st & 10 at CLE 16

(2:19 - 2nd) (Shotgun) N.Chubb right tackle to CLV 23 for 7 yards (D.Shelton, J.Jones).

(2:00 - 2nd) Two-Minute Warning

2nd & 3 at CLE 23

(2:00 - 2nd) (Shotgun) N.Chubb right tackle to CLV 23 for no gain (J.Collins, L.Guy).

3rd & 3 at CLE 23

(1:15 - 2nd) (Shotgun) B.Mayfield pass short right to O.Beckham to CLV 27 for 4 yards (S.Gilmore).

1st & 10 at CLE 27

(0:51 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Mayfield pass short left to J.Landry to CLV 39 for 12 yards (J.Collins, J.Jones).

1st & 10 at CLE 39

(0:32 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Mayfield sacked at CLV 29 for -10 yards (A.Butler).

(0:28 - 2nd) Timeout #3 by CLV at 00:28.

2nd & 20 at CLE 29

(0:28 - 2nd) (Shotgun) PENALTY on CLV-J.McCray, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CLV 29 - No Play.

2nd & 25 at CLE 24

(0:28 - 2nd) (Shotgun) B.Mayfield pass short left to D.Hilliard to CLV 30 for 6 yards (J.Collins, J.McCourty).

3rd & 19 at CLE 30

(0:01 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Mayfield pass short left to D.Hilliard to CLV 33 for 3 yards (J.Collins).

If we weren't trying to score (whether a FG or TD) before the half, why did we put the ball in the air 5 times, including downs starting at :28 and :01? If we were trying to score, why didn't we do a better job of maximizing the available time earlier in the possession?

Last edited by Dave; 10/31/19 07:38 PM.
CalDawg #1685418 10/31/19 07:37 PM
J
Legend
Legend
J
j/c

Baker is giving Grossi, just like he does Cowherd, exactly what they want. He takes the bait like a hungry fish every time. That isn’t being cool, edgy, passionate, etc. That’s being a sucker. It just causes them to keep pushing him, because they know he will always react. They love it, he plays right into their hands.

JulesDawg #1685443 10/31/19 09:37 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
j/c

Baker is giving Grossi, just like he does Cowherd, exactly what they want. He takes the bait like a hungry fish every time. That isn’t being cool, edgy, passionate, etc. That’s being a sucker. It just causes them to keep pushing him, because they know he will always react. They love it, he plays right into their hands.
bingo .. Grossi gets more twitter action conveniently when he’s promoting a new business endeavor

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
CalDawg #1685487 11/01/19 06:54 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Grossi should have saved that question for Kitchens, by that point of the game, baker only knows what the current play called is.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
FloridaFan #1685491 11/01/19 07:51 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
J/C

Looking at Grossi's quotes on Twitter after the San Francisco game last night, I believe he wants to hang Garoppolo's sweaty jock above his bed. It's also clear that he's going out of his way to praise the Niners and their QB as a way of slamming the Browns and theirs. The Niners deserve credit for what they've done, no doubt and the Browns certainly deserve criticism, but I wonder if Grossi has ever tweeted so much about another team throughout a game.

Sour grapes!

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
CalDawg #1685492 11/01/19 07:52 AM
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
The fact of the matter is Mayfield acted like a complete arse. It doesn't matter what Grossi said, Mayfield is a PROFESSIONAL and he is expected to act as such.

Look I may have been a bit harsh on Mayfield, but im not real happy he done what he done. I really hope he doesn't do it again.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 11/01/19 07:57 AM.
Dave #1685499 11/01/19 08:33 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Grossi's question was about what seemed to be a "lack of urgency" on the downs
two weeks prior Grossi was on air and in writing beating and smashing Freddie for being aggressive at the half against SEA. he bashed them for trying to score twice.

Then, their next game, hes not bashing them for being conservative and not wanting to give the ball back to NE. . . . Which is it?

Quote:
My take is that Mayfield has a hard-on for Grossi and was looking for an excuse to go off on him.

From Tony Grossi himself:

" It’s a fact that I was outspoken against the drafting of Mayfield. Some of the stuff I wrote – and said -- before the 2018 draft … was not pretty. Can’t take it back. "

The dude did everything he could to compare him to Johnny, not just on the field either - he more than once hinted that Baker was a problem off the field (and I am not talking about attitude).

Grossi:

"Our only interaction was in group interview sessions, and he was always respectful. Sometimes he added some playful banter, which became uncomfortable."

So "playful banter" was uncomfortable? Dude is trying to play a victim.

Grossi:

Quote:
At the appropriate times, I inquired to the PR department about one-on-one time with Mayfield. Nothing came of them. I was never sure if he actually received these requests or if there was an understanding that he would never do them.

Fast forward to this year’s preseason. The joint practice sessions in Indiana. I had a story idea about Mayfield’s jersey No. 6 and wanted to ask him about it away from the media group. I waited for the session to end, approached him and asked if he could take a couple questions privately.

“Ain’t happenin’,” he said coldly, not breaking stride.

Again, message received.

I reported this exchange to a few club officials – one very high up the food chain – and nothing came of it.
So, you can see - Tony has an issue with Baker because Baker wont give him 1-1 time. Plain and simple. And why does Tony feel like he is supposed to get 1-1 time with him? he "reported this to club officials"? Who is the soft one here?

CalDawg #1685501 11/01/19 08:35 AM
Legend
Legend
J/c

I think both Baker and Tony are being peevish and unprofessional, and it probably started with Tony’s remarks when Baker was in the draft process. However, Baker has to KNOW not to take the bait ... you can be subdued with your comments, but you can’t be a jerk

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
The fact of the matter is Mayfield acted like a complete arse. It doesn't matter what Grossi said, Mayfield is a PROFESSIONAL and he is expected to act as such.

Look I may have been a bit harsh on Mayfield, but im not real happy he done what he done. I really hope he doesn't do it again.

Have to say I am shocked at your take on this. I know you normally have Baker's back - what changed?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Honestly, I have no idea why everyone is so concerned about what took place between Grossi and Baker. And why what Grossi did he's getting a pass because "he's just doing his job."

Several high profile athletes have walked out of press conferences including Tom Brady, Cam Newton, and Lebron James.

They also fail to mention that Baker also answered questions for several minutes until idiot Grossi decided to ask stupid questions to target Baker.

People seem to forget the history between Grossi and Baker.

I have no qualms about Baker walking out because of who it happened with and how it happened. This isn't anything like a Ryan Leaf blow up.

I mean does a NASCAR driver like being asked if he's happy with the results of the race after he wrecked his car on the final?

Does a surgeon like being asked if he's happy his patient died on the table?

What about a woman being asked if she's happy with her miscarriage?

I mean seriously folks....

Legend
Legend
Hater because he was rejected. If you are BM, do you even consider doing the private article for Grossi? Had he been fair and positive with BM previously? Grossi is on ignore. Reported him multiple times to generate more stink for him. Media blackmail? Play ball with me or you get yours. I get BM not wanting to give that treatment to him.

Many people who cry about being treated fairly, or badly like this, don't want fair treatment, but special treatment. If BM gives this 1 on 1, how many more result?

Sorry. Grossi can ask. Just seems like nasty for everybody Browns organization, and I don't think you are required to cater to the likes of Grossi.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
devicedawg #1685510 11/01/19 08:51 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's very understandable. Those that don't like Baker and think he's a punk and still hold bitterness that he beat their beloved Buckeyes and disrespected them by planting the flag are going to take any negative and pour gasoline on it to make it much bigger than it is. Period. They'll blame a shovel pass where baker tosses the ball to JL in under a second and claim Baker it was his fault. They'll blame offensive penalties and drops where the ball hits two hands of the WR on Baker. There's not many but there is some.

Then the Baker fan boys are probably going to make light of anything and everything Baker does. There's not many of those either.

Most are going to be in the middle - would I prefer Baker didn't comment about Duke? Yes. Would I prefer Baker didn't give the media fuel by walking off after Grossi's question? Yes ... But in the grand scheme of things I don't think it's all that. Play better on Sundays and this noise and distraction will slowly cease.

Bard Dawg #1685511 11/01/19 08:52 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wonder if Grossi ever apologized for the things he said pre-draft? Can't take it back, but you can definitely try to mend the relationship.

I'd love to see the press conference where Grossi apologized to Baker.

devicedawg #1685512 11/01/19 08:55 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I wonder if Grossi ever apologized for the things he said pre-draft? Can't take it back, but you can definitely try to mend the relationship.

I'd love to see the press conference where Grossi apologized to Baker.

Great point - "What I said before the draft is well documented, and I'd like to go on record and say I was 100% wrong" .... probably would go a long way to restoring some normality.... but honestly, who cares. I said earlier I like to listen to Tony most of the time. I don't think he's right or has inside sources or anything, but I have no issue listening to him. But do I care about this and whether he patches things up with BM. Not one bit to be honest.

devicedawg #1685514 11/01/19 08:59 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
None of that is really the issue. The issue is when Baker does something like that, it takes energy away from the task at hand. Now guys are paying attention to social media. Now other guys are being asked about it in pressers. Guys get frustrated by it. Energy and focus is finite. They need all of it to go toward winning. But it's being used up on things that were avoidable by showing a little maturity. This is what people are missing.

Who cares if he was justified or not. Freddie and Baker and everyone need to put the Browns first and focus on the things that need to be done to win. And what Baker did doesn't help that cause.

It's not about Baker. It's not about Grossi. It's about the Browns and putting the Browns first.

Rishuz #1685524 11/01/19 09:31 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
A lot of players are on social media these days. Probably most. Being on social media isn't a problem. It's just how things are these days.

I actually think Baker showed maturity by walking away rather than knocking Grossi upside the head. There's a lot of different ways that could have went down. Baker chose the high road.

Baker is 100% team oriented and the entire team has his back. I don't think this is a distraction but the media will want you to believe it is so. Stay tuned.

CalDawg #1685525 11/01/19 09:33 AM
All Pro
All Pro
I grow tired of "journalists" who try to make every story about them. Self-promoting egotistic bags of wind, that's what they are. I, for one, don't care how the players or coaches treat them.

This will all blow over when the Browns win a few games. "Journalists" just go whichever way the wind blows.

I'm more interested in how Mayfield weathers the storm he's facing on the field. That will depend on what passes for a game plan in Denver.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
devicedawg #1685532 11/01/19 09:50 AM
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Honestly, I have no idea why everyone is so concerned about what took place between Grossi and Baker. And why what Grossi did he's getting a pass because "he's just doing his job."

Several high profile athletes have walked out of press conferences including Tom Brady, Cam Newton, and Lebron James.

They also fail to mention that Baker also answered questions for several minutes until idiot Grossi decided to ask stupid questions to target Baker.

People seem to forget the history between Grossi and Baker.

I have no qualms about Baker walking out because of who it happened with and how it happened. This isn't anything like a Ryan Leaf blow up.

I mean does a NASCAR driver like being asked if he's happy with the results of the race after he wrecked his car on the final?

Does a surgeon like being asked if he's happy his patient died on the table?

What about a woman being asked if she's happy with her miscarriage?

I mean seriously folks....

I think everyone is understanding of a bad press conference when players are immediately interviewed following an ugly loss. That is when 99% of these types of angry press conferences happen.

But Baker is clearly going after a reporter that he has had a record of going after in the past and he is doing it in a mid week interview.

It comes off as immature, it comes off as petty, it comes off as spitting down on someone. It IS a clear demonstration of how insecure Baker feels.

Just like this board, 50% of the people in the locker room will have no problem with this behavior, but 50% of his teammates are also going to internally question is judgement, emotional intelligence, and composure, and that is going to effect their motivation and ability to follow him as a supposed leader.

Baker is not mature enough to put the weight of this team on his shoulders, and the people around him that are defending him are actually setting him up for failure. He needs someone else to bear the burden of leadership until he is ready for it, and he needs friends, family, and mentors that are committed to being straight with him about his behavior and want to help him improve, not an echo chamber of hanger-ons that won't tell him what he needs to hear.

devicedawg #1685535 11/01/19 10:03 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
You missed my premise. Focus, attention, and energy is now being taken away from where it needs to be. That's not how you win games.

Rishuz #1685536 11/01/19 10:23 AM
Legend
Legend
You missed my premise. Focus, attention, and energy is now being taken away from where it needs to be. That's not how you win games.

I doubt that Baker gave it one more thought after he walked off. The other players know what an ass Grossi is and I don't think it bothered them at all.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Rishuz #1685537 11/01/19 10:45 AM
Legend
Legend
Everybody speaks as if they have some kind of expertise on the leadership and maturity subject, truth be told, we have a sliver of the information.

We are not in the locker room.
We don't know Baker's leadership skills and the role he takes behind closed doors, on the practice field, or even game day for that matter.
We assume something trivial is some big distraction.

I have to pick on you Rish, sorry, you've seemed very level-headed throughout this whole season, but your post is just an echo of what a bunch of people keep saying... I have to ask... Team-wide, how much focus, attention, and energy do you think has been spent on this Grossi thing five minutes after it happened?? I'm sure there were some attaboys, a little laughter, who knows, maybe even a few players on the 53 that rolled their eyes and took exception to it. To me, it has ZERO bearing on how well we prepare for the next opponent. It's just a tired ploy that fans and writers use to create non-stories and narratives out of thin air.

Maybe, just maybe, Baker has been the dude that pats a player on the back when he screws up and says "we'll get 'em next time". Maybe, as a leader, he hasn't really held others accountable. Maybe others will see the frustration, see him come out with more focus, determination, and a scowl on his face during the week, and think "Wow, we need to put our heads down and work".

Fact is: we don't know, we're not there. When some player comes out and says as much, or something becomes evident that Baker is weak in his leadership role -- let me know. History says the opposite is true.

AS far as Tony and Baker. Tony said some terrible things about the kid... and stuck to them for too long because he wanted to be right. That's what all these dudes do. At times, until they look like fools (see Cowherd). Baker has taken some jabs at him from time to time. Every one of them humorous. It had grown to a point where it seemed to be entertaining to Tony and the media room as a whole.

Tony crossed the line with a stupid question (yes, the stupidest), after a tough loss, and got served some medicine. Simple as that.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
GMdawg #1685538 11/01/19 10:46 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

I doubt that Baker gave it one more thought after he walked off. The other players know what an ass Grossi is and I don't think it bothered them at all.

I don't care if they have a naked carboard cutout of Grossi in the locker room and he loses an article of clothing with every win. Errr, that might explain the current problem though.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
CalDawg #1685539 11/01/19 10:47 AM
Legend
Legend
^ THAT'S hilarious! ^

FATE #1685540 11/01/19 11:00 AM
Legend
Legend
Exactly what I would have written.

I agree 100%.

FATE #1685563 11/01/19 12:16 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I could not disagree more. The logic you are using..."we are not there, we don't know what goes on behind closed doors"...can be made for any topic at any time about anything with the team. And if that's the case, let's close down the message board. There's nothing more to discuss. We can just say "we're not there" and move on.

But you are using it here as a convenience to explain away what I feel is a very pertinent point. It matters where your energy and focus is. Why do you think Belichick mumbles through pressers? Why do you think Brady never says anything of substance? Because they don't dedicate any energy and focus to anything other than the task at hand.

The results speak for themselves for the Patriots...and the Browns.

This stuff matters. It does.

Rishuz #1685567 11/01/19 12:54 PM
Legend
Legend
But you act like the energy and focus goes beyond the 30 seconds he spent telling Tony to take a hike. As if Baker is sitting alone somewhere trying to craft his next comeback to Tony rather than taking care of his duties as a QB.

I think BB mumbles through pressers because that is his personality. Wasn't Bill Walsh's, definitely wasn't Jimmy Johnson's - they won a few trophies. How 'bout Bill Parcels? Belichick's mentor? He yelled, argued, stormed off stage five times a season. Hard to imagine how he ever maintained the focus and energy to coach all of those great teams and SuperBowl winners, eh?

FATE #1685568 11/01/19 01:04 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
We can agree to disagree.

But I'll leave you with this. It did go beyond the 30 seconds. Baker was so agitated by it he took to Twitter to explain himself. Again, energy and focus being diverted toward things that don't help the Browns win.

Rishuz #1685569 11/01/19 01:07 PM
Legend
Legend

It doesn't matter at all. Not one bit.

What matters is preparation and execution.

Press conferences are obligatory. They are tolerated and then forgotten.

What matters is what takes place at the facilities. What is seen from film study on the opposition. What is planned against them.

And then how that is implemented in practice for the game.

The last step is how the players carry that over to the game.

Belichick mumbling in pressers?? Because he sees it as a total waste of time. He despises it. Treats the reporters like the fools they are in most cases from the stupid questions that are asked.

You are reaching for something that is not there.

bonefish #1685572 11/01/19 01:12 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: bonefish

You are reaching for something that is not there.

I don't think I am. Actually I'm surprised to be getting so much resistance to this notion.

Again, agree to disagree.

Rishuz #1685574 11/01/19 01:17 PM
Legend
Legend
We can agree to disagree.

But I'll leave you with this. It did go beyond the 30 seconds. Baker was so agitated by it he took to Twitter to explain himself. Again, energy and focus being diverted toward things that don't help the Browns win.

No sweat. We're all welcome to our opinions.

As far as the Tweet, it was fairly immediate and straight to the point. He created the issue by walking out, he closed the book on how he feels about it with the Tweet. That's actually part of the reason why I was sure it wouldn't be an issue going forward.

To each his own brother. On to the Broncos.

FATE #1685586 11/01/19 02:23 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Agreed.

I don't think any energy is focused on Grossi. I would imagine exactly as you said and I'm not sure anyone in that organization is on Grossi's side or is thinking please Baker shut up. Probably quite the opposite.

And also just a comment, Baker is definitely mature enough to put the team on his back and win games. He did it last year.

devicedawg #1685750 11/02/19 01:35 PM
Legend
Legend

Baker's numbers are what they are. No hiding from them. They are not good.

However, I think you have to look at each game individually.

Then I think it is more appropriate to speculate on how and if his performance will or will not improve.

Over the time he has played as a Brown and his college career. I have seen Baker perform at an extremely high level. That was no fluke or accident.

You can not accomplish what he has done and ignore those facts.

So what has happened?

Plenty. Most of it not good. We can debate the problems. Place the blame wherever. The reality is each game carried it's own problems. When you lump it all together you lose sight of what really took place.

Now at 2-5 the team as a whole needs to play better football. The coaches need to coach better.

Baker has been a part of the problem.

But I see no reason at all that he can not play the way he has played in the past.

He has a very good arm. He throws with anticipation and touch. He has proven in the past to be accurate. He is a young player learning to play at a different level. It is not something that happens overnight. It is a process of development. From all that has been written about Baker. There has never been a claim he doesn't work hard.

So with that in place. Baker, the offense, and players need to be in sync. That is Freddie and staff. It is up to them to prepare the team. It worked in the second half of last year. This year is the third head coach and OC since the beginning of last year.

They need to figure it out. It is up to Freddie and his staff to fix the problems. Talent has been added from last year. There is no reason why this offense should be beating themselves.

Stop the bleeding. You can not average 10 penalties a game.
You can not turn the ball over at the rate they are doing it. Correct the penalties. Block better. Catch the ball. Protect the ball. Don't force throws into coverage. Throw the ball accurately. If the play is not there; do a Brady and throw it away.

These are correctable mistakes. In the past the Browns did not have the talent to compete. That is not the case today.

There is no reason why this team can not turn it around.

If they fail. Then it must be analyzed and steps taken to find the solutions.

CalDawg #1687796 11/04/19 09:07 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

Baker is scared. He hesitated yesterday on the last play, to go throw the check down to Jarvis (which was late BTW).

Time to rebuild.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Milk Man #1687822 11/04/19 09:49 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Looks like a bloated toad

CalDawg #1687828 11/04/19 09:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Lol he looks like a deadbeat uncle

CalDawg #1687837 11/04/19 10:00 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most likely he looks like a guy who thought the NFL was gonna be a piece of cake. Have a dose of reality Baker...

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Cont.

Link Copied to Clipboard