Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Denver starts our playoff run thumbsup

Our history with Denver and playoff runs isn’t a good one.

#GMSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
I think the Browns could have made that real interesting if they came into the game with actual focus. They clearly weren't. A lot of people blame penalties and other mental-type errors on coaching. You hear it all the time "THAT'S COACHING!". Eh, maybe, maybe not. These guys only get so much time to prepare for their opponent, that they aren't sitting around making sure their focus is good. I think that has to be a given. You have to come into games with unbelievable focus. I think that kind of stuff is more on the players than the coaches, although everyone shares some form of blame.

I somewhat agree but here's a different angle. The coach sets the tone. In a fairly good downpour of rain, Freddie came out in the shotgun and ran three straight passes. His game plan was uninspiring, lacked situational awareness, and was unfocused.

Now you start the game that way and it sends a message to your team that our coach isn't putting us in the best position to succeed. He's unfocused, we can be unfocused too.

Freddie cares too much about Freddie at this point in his career. He's not focused on winning. Therefore, his team isn't focused on winning.

It has to start at the top and has to be consistent and on all the time.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
I think the Browns could have made that real interesting if they came into the game with actual focus. They clearly weren't. A lot of people blame penalties and other mental-type errors on coaching. You hear it all the time "THAT'S COACHING!". Eh, maybe, maybe not. These guys only get so much time to prepare for their opponent, that they aren't sitting around making sure their focus is good. I think that has to be a given. You have to come into games with unbelievable focus. I think that kind of stuff is more on the players than the coaches, although everyone shares some form of blame.

I somewhat agree but here's a different angle. The coach sets the tone. In a fairly good downpour of rain, Freddie came out in the shotgun and ran three straight passes. His game plan was uninspiring, lacked situational awareness, and was unfocused.

Now you start the game that way and it sends a message to your team that our coach isn't putting us in the best position to succeed. He's unfocused, we can be unfocused too.

Freddie cares too much about Freddie at this point in his career. He's not focused on winning. Therefore, his team isn't focused on winning.

It has to start at the top and has to be consistent and on all the time.

The playcalling, especially that early in the game is 100% on Kitchens.

It was almost like he was trying to outsmart Belichck by throwing when the whole world knows we are at our best when Nick Chubb is eating. He only outsmarted himself.

I really don't want to go through another firing, I hope the guy can pull this thing together.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The second half of the season will be a good opportunity for the whole team and coaching staff to learn how to win.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

#ToddMonkenNotFreed

Ego is his main flaw. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else. If the buck stops with him, why does he keep making the same mistakes? Two weeks to get ready for the best team in the AFC, facing off against possibly the greatest coach of all time and his thinking is he should throw it four times in the pouring rain against a top defense with the possibly the best secondary in the league? Really? Nuff said.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

#ToddMonkenNotFreed

Sounds VERY Hue-esque

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Freddie puts Freddie before the Browns.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Freddie puts Freddie before the Browns.

Freddie is that Hue? rofl

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Will Freddie jump in the lake too?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Atta boy Freddie hang in there!! Keep calling the plays. Freddie doesn't follow trends he sets them. Before long his coaching style will be emulated by just about everyone else!!! thumbsup

L
Legend
Legend
L
Someone needs to ask him "But you suck at it with epic failure, why not try something else"

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Will Freddie jump in the lake too?

Only in July.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Freddie calling plays

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Well, it is all how you frame it. Look at the play variety. We need to plan a bit better IMO.

Hard to watch.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

#notenoughtalent

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Their heads are going to explode if Dorsey starts getting some criticism in the mainstream media.

The straw arguments will be awesome.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c:

#notenoughtalent

Every Sunday I hear on here from (no names you know who you are) that say trade Garrett, he sucks, oh there is his token sack superconfused tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
No. No way you trade a talent like Myles Garrett. Heck I noticed on more than a few occasions the Pats were double teaming him. I didn't think we should have traded Avery either but the FO knows more then me. Pastor, we have a lot of talent and should be winning more. The talent needs to be disciplined and molded into a winning team.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
No. No way you trade a talent like Myles Garrett. Heck I noticed on more than a few occasions the Pats were double teaming him. I didn't think we should have traded Avery either but the FO knows more then me. Pastor, we have a lot of talent and should be winning more. The talent needs to be disciplined and molded into a winning team.

I agree with everything you said Homewood Dog, I love Garrett if I had to pick a favorite player on this team it would be Garrett and Chubb would be a close 2nd thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Have to ask a quick question unrelated to football. When I like and agree with a post I hit the like underneath it but my name never comes up. I am logged in what am I doing wrong?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Have to ask a quick question unrelated to football. When I like and agree with a post I hit the like underneath it but my name never comes up. I am logged in what am I doing wrong?

Same here it must be how it works only seeing the other likes ... superconfused

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Like this post and I will look back in an hour or 2 and tell you what I see

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend

It will only show you who, in addition to yourself, has 'Like'd it. I left off showing yourself because you already know you did. The text tells you "You and x other people Like this."

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think we could be in for a rough year. I'm not sure what we're trying to do on the OL. I think a lot of our troubles start there. I'm not exactly sure how Campen differs from Wylie, but it definitely appears that they are/were asking for different things. I don't know if it's as simple as Wylie just wanted the job done versus Campen wanting specific techniques (techniques that required changes and breaking old habits for our players) and assignments that require more of a cerebral approach. The running game blocking looked much better though this week, so maybe the "new approach" is starting to click a bit and there is a bit of hope. Maybe we can start building on that. Pass blocking is still atrocious, though. I wish we'd do more playaction, so they could still initially block like it is a run. Teams are stunting against us a lot and that is much more effective against pass blocking than run blocking. Guys getting running starts before contact with guys backing up have a decided advantage with regard to physics, which I think is part of the reason we've been seeing guys like Bitonio get blown up so much. Now get Bitonio going forward while a defender is going sideways and you get better results.

At the same time, teams are putting lots of guys in the box daring us to pass, but also clogging passing lanes and hampering Baker's vision. While one typically thinks of opening creases in the running game, we might need to use "run blocking" to open up "creases" in the passing game. Team's are doing a pretty good job of keeping him in the pocket. In a clean pocket he can pick teams apart, but in a muddy cramped pocket his height is an extreme disadvantage. His vision is greatly obstructed. He's not seeing open guys because there are defenders blocking him from seeing them.

At Oklahoma he had a monster OL and lots of room to operate. With our OTs giving up such quick pressure, he's had to step up where he can't see as well.

I know it's common to think of passing as being aggressive. However, from an OL standpoint it is much more passive. Most of our lineman aren't the Technicians or athletes needed to succeed that way. I'd almost say throw pass-blocking out of our playbook. We don't have enough guys who are good at it to consistently be successful. That doesn't mean we don't throw, we just need to keep punching guys in the mouth at the line of scrimmage while we do it.

I think passivity has kind of infected our team at times. We're not the aggressor. We're waiting for the other team, for flags, for mistakes. It's like we're holding our breath all the darn time. We need to be aggressive. Our Wideouts need to attack the ball. Our offense needs to be "straining" to get back to the next play and attack the defense- not carefully trying to pick a perfect play and standing around wasting time. Picking the perfect play for the disguise a defense is showing usually ends up picking the wrong play for what the D is actually doing. We can't be afraid to make mistakes. Being hesitant is when mistakes are most often made.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 10/30/19 02:46 PM. Reason: added 2nd "perfect play" comment

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
...dbl post, apparently hit quote instead of edit

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 10/30/19 02:44 PM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
After watching the game again, we played up to them IMO. Same as the Seattle game. The turnovers were bad, the first fumble was a fluke, but the second one shouldn't happen. The INT, I mean, whatever it was, could have been avoided. Baker has got to see that guy busting thru right at him. I put that on a great defensive play, Bitonio missing the block, and Baker not being aware. Turnovers were the reason they lost.

Many are calling for Freddie's head, and I understand that. The sequence with the punt, no punt, was just a head scratcher. But, IMO the game plan was good. there were many good plays called back. They are forgotten, but many were good and got good yardage. The OPIs were a little ridiculous, especially when NE was doing it all game with no flag. Still it is the constant false starts and illegal shifts that are killing drives. I know the coach gets blamed for these discipline penalties, but I really have to ask, what can he do? These are mental lapses by the individual, and I find it hard to believe that they are not stressed to every player on every team in the NFL. I really feel Kitchens is growing intensely disturbed by them. I look at this as a player problem, not coaching. These types of penalties are priority even to Pop Warner coaches, suggesting Freddie isn't doing anything to try to stop them is nonsense.

They once again played to the level of a top team, and once again beat themselves. The players on this team need to look at each other and realize they are what's keeping this trend going. If they don't, we will see the usual turmoil at the end of the year.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Thankee, Purp. Need to know basis. Makes sense.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Ego is his main flaw. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else. If the buck stops with him, why does he keep making the same mistakes? Two weeks to get ready for the best team in the AFC, facing off against possibly the greatest coach of all time and his thinking is he should throw it four times in the pouring rain against a top defense with the possibly the best secondary in the league? Really? Nuff said.

I know this forum will go away soon but I'm still having trouble with this logic..

We had a 159 rushing yards against a team that averages giving up 84 ypg.

We had 194 passing yards in the pouring rain against a team that averages giving up 148 ypg

I'm still struggling to figure out why the game plan was so horrible or what difference it makes that we threw a few passes early when they clearly had the box stacked to stop the run... or how any of the stupid turnovers were Freddies fault or how any of them have anything to do with having two weeks to prepare.... somebody explain it to me.

yebat' Putin
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
[quoteI'm still struggling to figure out why the game plan was so horrible or what difference it makes that we threw a few passes early when they clearly had the box stacked to stop the run... or how any of the stupid turnovers were Freddies fault or how any of them have anything to do with having two weeks to prepare.... somebody explain it to me.
_________________________][/quote]

My sentiments exactly. People love to throw around criticism of game plans and play calling, when they have no idea what they're talking about. We moved the ball well against the best defense in football. We scored on them which many failed to do. The game was lost on TOs and penalties, IMO blaming Freddie's play calling or game plan is just parroting the mobs response.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
L
Legend
Legend
L
Agreed. We were right there with them but mental lapses and turnovers cost us dearly.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
There wasn't a single thing wrong with the gameplan.... just the players' execution of it.

and Freddy needs help deciding whether or not to throw the Challenge Flag.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
There wasn't a single thing wrong with the gameplan.... just the players' execution of it.

and Freddy needs help deciding whether or not to throw the Challenge Flag.
Your second point here is key too ... we just waste TO’s and challenges like idiots

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Freddie shouldn’t be allowed to even see the challenge flag much less throw it ...

His clock mgmt. is actually hard to believe .. hes worse than Hue was ... *L* ..

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Freddie shouldn’t be allowed to even see the challenge flag much less throw it ...

His clock mgmt. is actually hard to believe .. hes worse than Hue was ... *L* ..
lol i know it ... I’m usually in disbelief in both regards

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Patriots 27 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard