Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Legend
Legend
M

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Laps...these guys know money and playing time with money being tops. Stick it to them.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
j/c...

Here we go.

M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M
And this time he's serious about fixing it!....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Not even Freddie knew Freddie's plan apparently.

M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

Not even Freddie knew Freddie's plan apparently.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Feeling the heat

M
Legend
Legend
M

#ToddMonkenNotFreed

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Landry and Baker will be fine, injury wise.

https://twitter.com/ScottPetrak/status/1188879223181721600

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This seems to be a disastrous line of comments

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So he's calling the plays because he's the head coach yet he admittedly fails to let everyone know what the 4th down plan/play is. I wouldn't tell anyone either if my plan was that dumb.

There's no issues at all there...

Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns Postgame Scribbles: Coaching staff should face tough questions
Updated 8:14 AM; Today 5:00 AM

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/10...-questions.html

FOXBORO, Mass. – Scribbles in my notebook after the Browns lost 27-13 to New England:

1. The Browns losing on the road to the NFL’s best team is not a surprise. The problem is the Browns playing sloppy, undisciplined football also is not a surprise. And that’s what should be unacceptable to the front office.

2. In the final eight games of last season with Gregg Williams (interim coach) and Kitchens (offensive coordinator), the Browns committed only 47 penalties. They never had more than seven in a game.

3. Kitchens was part of that coaching staff where the Browns played disciplined football. Now that Kitchens is the head coach, they have committed 70 in seven games. That’s 10 a game compared to 5.9 in the second half of last season.

4. Remember, Kitchens was there for the final eight games of 2018. The roster has not had a massive turnover from a year ago. So what happened between 2018 and 2019? Are the practices different?

5. Another big point: The Browns had about six weeks of training camp to prepare to open the season. They had 18 penalties against Tennessee. They had two weeks to prepare for New England...13 more penalties. It would seem the extra time should lead to fewer penalties.

6. It wasn’t only those two games with big penalty totals. They had nine penalties in two other games.

7. After the game, Kitchens said: “Everything we said you can’t do to win the game...we did...You can’t turn the ball over...you can’t commit penalties.”

8. I didn’t know what to make of this, but it seemed the Browns spent too much time yelling at officials during training camp. And when they played the Colts during two days of scrimmages, they got in some fights and the lack of discipline was obvious.

9. None of that would have mattered if the penalties were not a huge issue in the regular season. While Kitchens sometimes had players run a lap after committing a pre-snap penalty in camp, there has been no carryover in the regular season.

10. A big question for the coaching staff: Why not — and what do you plan to do about that?

11. Of course, I thought they dealt with those questions during the bye week. I’m at a loss to explain what is happening other than what is clear: The main problem of a lack of discipline and preparation has been there in most games.

12: A side note: The Browns’ biggest and best win was 40-25 over Baltimore. Guess how many penalties they had in that game? Six. It was their fewest of the year.

13. Baker Mayfield talked about how the pre-snap penalties such as false starts have impacted the “cadence” he uses. That’s the snap count. He didn’t explain. But when your team keeps jumping off-sides, it’s hard for a QB to vary his snap count. That makes it easier for the defense to rush the passer when a team uses the same snap count.

14. Mayfield’s only interception was a strange one. Late in the first quarter, he tried to throw about a 2-yard shovel pass to receiver Jarvis Landry. It was right in the middle of the line, lots of bodies in the way. The ball went right to defensive end Lawrence Guy.

15. I asked Kitchens what happened on the play: “We didn’t block the end (Guy).” He repeated that no one “blocked the end.”

16. Landry on the interception: “I honestly don’t know what happened. I came to get the shovel pass. I saw a flash of color, and Guy made the play.”

17. It’s obvious the Browns worked on that trick play during the bye week. And it’s obvious someone blew an assignment. I asked Mayfield about it. He said he wished he could have held on to the ball, but it was such a quick-hit play, “and I didn’t expect him (Guy) to be there.”

18. For Guy, he was thrilled: “It’s my first interception in nine years...I’m going to get that ball and put it in my locker.”

19. None of this is to knock the Browns’ effort. They fell behind 17-0 in the first quarter. It could have been a blowout. They cut it to 17-10 early in the third quarter, but New England regained control. At some points in the game, Mayfield (20-for-31 passing) had some flow and confidence. But five false starts at this point in the season is inexcusable.

20. I still don’t understand what Kitchens was doing when it was 4th-and-11 late in the fourth quarter. It appeared his team was going to punt, but then the offense went back on the field after they were flagged for false start. That made it 4th-and-16. The offense then went for it.

21. Kitchens on that mixup: “I didn’t want to use a timeout. I wanted to go for it. We had half of our guys running off, and half of our guys running on. I wasn’t giving up then by punting the ball to them.”

22. It’s stuff like that which is why I’m very discouraged by the coaching situation right now. After a bye week, the team has to look more organized.

23. This was Bill Belichick’s 300th career win. His first? It was in 1991. Belichick coached the Browns and beat New England in Foxboro.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
This bothers me, SOMETIMES the buck doesn't stop with you pal, EVERYTIME it does. Your the HC of this football team. Its you

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
TBH I'm getting tired of these "coach speak" answers from Freddie. Man the hell up and answer the damn question. "We know what to and we know we have get things corrected." What are you doing to correct those things? "I'm not answering that question." Screw you Freddie. You are a punk. The amount of useful knowledge you have about the game on game day can fit in a very small thimble. Take your hillbilly act and get out of town. You suck and are killing this team. EVERY week. SMH

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Browns catching a break next week (not that Flacco is all that good)....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c...

Browns lose this game and Freddie is gone on Monday. There is ZERO excuse to lose a game to a team with a QB who has NEVER thrown an NFL pass. I'm tired of hearing about talent. I'm tired of hearing how they need to focus and execute. Excuses are for LOSERS. Go win the damn game already. Geezus.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: The Beast
j/c...

Browns lose this game and Freddie is gone on Monday. There is ZERO excuse to lose a game to a team with a QB who has NEVER thrown an NFL pass. I'm tired of hearing about talent. I'm tired of hearing how they need to focus and execute. Excuses are for LOSERS. Go win the damn game already. Geezus.
Tell that to the teams that lost to Minchew II, or Allen.

Believe me, in true Browns fashion, expect to lose this game.

We will make this kid look like Brady in the 16-0 season.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
j/c...

Tell that to the teams that lost to Minchew II, or Allen.

Believe me, in true Browns fashion, expect to lose this game.

We will make this kid look like Brady in the 16-0 season.

Freddie should probably just stay in Denver if this happens.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm not one to jump the "fire everyone" gun, but a couple more of these in-game head scratchers, and it'll be real hard to argue.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'm not one to jump the "fire everyone" gun, but a couple more of these in-game head scratchers, and it'll be real hard to argue.

Same. The in-game blunders on top of having the same problems every game is alarming. And now throwing Higgins under the bus publicly. Nothing has changed.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
So he's calling the plays because he's the head coach yet he admittedly fails to let everyone know what the 4th down plan/play is. I wouldn't tell anyone either if my plan was that dumb.

There's no issues at all there...

Until Freddie starts putting the Browns before Freddie nothing will change.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Run for the hills Freddie, the mob is forming and the pitchforks have been sharpened. SMH - same old, same old...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J/c

I don’t agree with throwing Higgins under the bus like that ... to me, that’s poor leadership. Do it face to face or in the locker room. Have accountability that way.

FK seems to be too emotional and does dumb things off the cuff.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haven't read the thread, just adding my input.

I think that we were the better team Sunday, except for that 3 snap, 3 turnover fiasco.
Those 3 plays cost us 17 points.

The fumble return for a touchdown - 7 points for them
Fumble inside their 10 - anticipate that we would have scored a TD - 7 points for us
The WTF!? interception - turned into a FG - 3 points them

And all these penalties we commit are out of control
We are a very talented team but mentally weak.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Run for the hills Freddie, the mob is forming and the pitchforks have been sharpened. SMH - same old, same old...

At least the pitchforks are sharp. The coach, not so much (or so it seems currently).

Legend
Legend
j/c...

Not only that, this is a 3-5 team starting this kid.. it's not like they were great WITH Flacco... This isn't like the '02 Ravens or the '19 Pats who could still beat you with defense...

yebat' Putin
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I thought the Broncos were 2-6?

W
Rookie
Rookie
W
Guys......this is the most talented team

ive seen in awhile. 13 penalties and 3

turn overs in a row........after 2 weeks?????

Josh Mcdanials.

Legend
Legend
My bad.. Looked it up quick and read the Chargers.. nice catch.. but that only further validates my point. thumbsup

yebat' Putin
whoo #1684383 10/28/19 05:40 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: whoo
Guys......this is the most talented team

ive seen in awhile. 13 penalties and 3

turn overs in a row........after 2 weeks?????

Josh Mcdanials.

I don't see what 2 weeks prep has to do with getting the ball kicked out of your hands or getting stripped from behind... it has nothing to do with it.

The game plan, when we weren't killing ourselves, was working pretty well.

yebat' Putin
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
My bad.. Looked it up quick and read the Chargers.. nice catch.. but that only further validates my point. thumbsup
haha exactly

Legend
Legend
j/c:

Just watched the game, had to work yesterday.

The first quarter was horrible. After that? It went pretty much the way I thought it would. We played the best team in football yesterday, I'm not about to get too upset that we lost. I figured we would.

Vernon had a good game yesterday, he wasn't invisible for once.

That's all I got, everything else has been mentioned already.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I haven't dumped my thoughts on our Browns in a few weeks. A mix of too much going on/forgetting.

If you looked at the final score and didn't watch the game, you'd have probably thought to yourself: "yeah, that sounds about right" but wow did the game tell a different story.

I think the Browns could have made that real interesting if they came into the game with actual focus. They clearly weren't. A lot of people blame penalties and other mental-type errors on coaching. You hear it all the time "THAT'S COACHING!". Eh, maybe, maybe not. These guys only get so much time to prepare for their opponent, that they aren't sitting around making sure their focus is good. I think that has to be a given. You have to come into games with unbelievable focus. I think that kind of stuff is more on the players than the coaches, although everyone shares some form of blame.

Nick Chubb fumbling, that's on him. He's been great, and my god was he carving that defense apart (maybe the saddest part of the whole game). I can't blame Freddie Kitchens for that. That's on Nick Chubb, and I know that he will bounce back.

You just can't afford to fall behind early in these games, and expect good results, and that has been the case 2 of the last 3 games.

The body language of players has not been good, and it was definitely at its worst yesterday. This seems so familiar. This looks like one of our patented 4-12/5-11 type teams. There's just too much of one unit stepping up, and then the other immediately lets everyone down. You get the score to one possession, and then the defense gets burned for 50 yards on a simple screen play.

I'm having a hard time defending Freddie Kitchens, and also ripping him to shreds. He's 7 games in to his tenure with the Browns. He looks in over his head. But it's 7 games.

But then you look at all these other first year head coaches over the last few years finding early success.

Its really sad, because the fans deserve better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A loss in Denver and this thing is going to go off the rails.

Like this?...minus the rails...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Denver starts our playoff run thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
I haven't dumped my thoughts on our Browns in a few weeks. A mix of too much going on/forgetting.

If you looked at the final score and didn't watch the game, you'd have probably thought to yourself: "yeah, that sounds about right" but wow did the game tell a different story.

I think the Browns could have made that real interesting if they came into the game with actual focus. They clearly weren't. A lot of people blame penalties and other mental-type errors on coaching. You hear it all the time "THAT'S COACHING!". Eh, maybe, maybe not. These guys only get so much time to prepare for their opponent, that they aren't sitting around making sure their focus is good. I think that has to be a given. You have to come into games with unbelievable focus. I think that kind of stuff is more on the players than the coaches, although everyone shares some form of blame.

Nick Chubb fumbling, that's on him. He's been great, and my god was he carving that defense apart (maybe the saddest part of the whole game). I can't blame Freddie Kitchens for that. That's on Nick Chubb, and I know that he will bounce back.

You just can't afford to fall behind early in these games, and expect good results, and that has been the case 2 of the last 3 games.

The body language of players has not been good, and it was definitely at its worst yesterday. This seems so familiar. This looks like one of our patented 4-12/5-11 type teams. There's just too much of one unit stepping up, and then the other immediately lets everyone down. You get the score to one possession, and then the defense gets burned for 50 yards on a simple screen play.

I'm having a hard time defending Freddie Kitchens, and also ripping him to shreds. He's 7 games in to his tenure with the Browns. He looks in over his head. But it's 7 games.

But then you look at all these other first year head coaches over the last few years finding early success.

Its really sad, because the fans deserve better.

Nicely said. Agree ! Although I do blame much of the penalties on coaching and attitude from top down.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/28/19 07:24 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Patriots 27 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard