Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
It’s too late in the season for FK to get control over this team. They don’t respect his authority and they never did.

This entire coaching staff is garbage, minus Mike Priefer. If it was me, I would hand the reigns over to him.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I'm not saying he's not. But the amount of people who are giving up on him is a bit ridiculous.

He threw 27 touchdowns last year. Busts don't throw 27 touchdowns in a season. Ever.

Baker is just a piece of the pie. JMO, but I've seen enough of Freddie. Gotta love the guy, but he's not a HC.

We'd have been better off keeping the coaching staff from last year completely intact. Williams, for any faults, was a superior HC to Freddie.

The talent is there. Someone needs to step up and lead them

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

The Browns did something right...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

The Browns did something right...

He's free to go NOT tackle guys on another team. He SHOULD get a sit down with the league...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
See ya Whitehead

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
It’s too late in the season for FK to get control over this team. They don’t respect his authority and they never did.

This entire coaching staff is garbage, minus Mike Priefer. If it was me, I would hand the reigns over to him.

Special Teams has been the only unit doing its job and doing it well.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Quote:

Special Teams has been the only unit doing its job and doing it well.
Which was our only "hole" going into this season if you asked the pundits.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c...

His eyes were def on OBJ as the first read, why he went away from it is beyond me. But no one will ask him that

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

I watched over and over again as Den used Play Action to help Allen with our Def biting almost every time.

Yet, Freddie it seems doesn't believe in Play Action.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
J/C

I watched over and over again as Den used Play Action to help Allen with our Def biting almost every time.

nope, we believe in shotguns and empty sets. putting Baker on an island and not using Chubb in the clutch

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/C

nope, we believe in shotguns and empty sets. putting Baker on an island and not using Chubb in the clutch

Inside the opponents 10 yard line!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

It is absolutely maddening. Baker under center with Chubb behind him with playaction as an option and Chubb able to get rolling and see what's ahead...keeps the defense guessing.

Vs.

Empty shotgun sets and the defensive rolls over our O line.

Smartest guy on the field. The stubbornness and overall game management has not gotten any better.,,maybe worse. Clean up the penalties and turnovers and what have you got? The same pitiful coaching, planning and awareness.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

one of the best backs in football, and we threw the ball 27 times by halftime.

only to watch said best back come to the sideline on key downs.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
J/C

It is absolutely maddening. Baker under center with Chubb behind him with playaction as an option and Chubb able to get rolling and see what's ahead...keeps the defense guessing.

Vs.

Empty shotgun sets and the defensive rolls over our O line.

Smartest guy on the field. The stubbornness and overall game management has not gotten any better.,,maybe worse. Clean up the penalties and turnovers and what have you got? The same pitiful coaching, planning and awareness.

Yep. And yesterday we flipped the script and did it on the other side of the ball.

QB that has never thrown a ball in the NFL seeing LBs 7 yards behind the DL and not even moving. "Don't worry, we never blitz anyway... And here's proof!"

Uncanny.

M
Legend
Legend
M
His eyes were def on OBJ as the first read, why he went away from it is beyond me. But no one will ask him that

My guess is that he's under pressure to make quick reads/passes. He ends up having time to keep watching OBJ - but let's face it, if he continues to wait for OBJ without looking for a different more immediately open receiver, Baker would be slammed as locking on to his primary. . . . the comment about the mechanics and patting the ball are just as much concerns as not throwing to OBJ who eventually gets half a yard on his man.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Jc

Ive read comments on twitter that thinks his primary is Hilliard (you can’t really tell based on that screen grab who he’s looking directly at) because Hilliard had chipped ALL day and that may have been our wrinkle to get him open quickly

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: mgh888

My guess is that he's under pressure to make quick reads/passes. He ends up having time to keep watching OBJ - but let's face it, if he continues to wait for OBJ without looking for a different more immediately open receiver, Baker would be slammed as locking on to his primary. . . . the comment about the mechanics and patting the ball are just as much concerns as not throwing to OBJ who eventually gets half a yard on his man.

1. OBJ actually gets 2 yards separation according to nextgen stats.

2. if OBJ has 1on1 coverage, you throw it everytime. There is no need to look elsewhere. That's why the frustrations. If he has 1-1 coverage, as the best player on the field, hes open. Throw it. Give him a chance.

3. If he throws it to OBJ, hes not patting the ball.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
J/C

Our offense play count was literally 2:1. I think we outdid them in time of possession by close to a full quarter of football. Ridiculous. That and the plays coming in late... I don’t even think FK knows his own play book.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Plays coming in late is so aggravating. Baker gets to the line too often with less than 7 seconds to go ... no time to shift, motion, examine, etc ... it’s like we make it as tough as possible on him

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

Our offense play count was literally 2:1. I think we outdid them in time of possession by close to a full quarter of football. Ridiculous. That and the plays coming in late... I don’t even think FK knows his own play book.
Well to be fair, our TOP was going to be a lot higher because they were scoring on 75 yard plays left and right. lol

cant lose TOP if you let them score really really fast.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

But whose playbook is it...Freddie's or Monken's? Is there some issue between FK and TM?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
are you saying Johnny Unitas was a bust??

No, not at all. Certainly not EVERY player on that list was a bust, but I gave every player that met the statistical criteria for completeness. Some of them were HOF, but played in a different era.

What it does show is that:
a) single-season TD passes is a terrible metric to grade a QB
b) there are TONS of guys who put up big TD's once or twice and never again
c) a case could be made that a large majority of those guys were nothing more than average to below-average QBs for their career (as justified by career QBR)who just had one "magical" season
d) stating no QB who has ever thrown 27 TD's in a season has been a bust is completely factually wrong - unless you think Derek Anderson and Jake Plummer and Don Majkowski etc etc...

Last edited by GraffZ06; 11/04/19 10:54 AM.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Plays coming in late is so aggravating. Baker gets to the line too often with less than 7 seconds to go ... no time to shift, motion, examine, etc ... it’s like we make it as tough as possible on him

Right! And then we complain about Baker not being able to make his reads lol. It was the same crap we went through under Shurmur. McCoy and Weeden who have opposite skill sets had the exact same problems

-Jack Burton

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
are you saying Johnny Unitas was a bust??

I guess he is .. as well as Y. A. Tittle, Lamonica, Jaworski, Stabler, Theisman, Elway, Fouts, Tarkenton, Esaison, Danny White, Ken Anderson, Hadl, Brodie, Bradshaw, and the Browns' last Championship QB Frank Ryan.

I guess none of them ever won anything .. even the ones who are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

See my last post. That's not what I said at all.

Guess I should have cherry picked my data to make a point instead of actually giving the entire historical context. My bad.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
R
Legend
Legend
R

2. if OBJ has 1on1 coverage, you throw it everytime. There is no need to look elsewhere. That's why the frustrations. If he has 1-1 coverage, as the best player on the field, hes open. Throw it. Give him a chance.

This is 100% spot on and why I keep saying Baker doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't know how to play professional QB cerebrally.

Legend
Legend

THIS is my biggest pet peeve. It's exasperating, I talked about it in the "keys to the game".

Remember our first pre-season game? We came out in the "hurry-up" and drove straight down for a TD. I remember thinking "this is what you want to do with all this talent and a high-power offense... This is going to be fun to watch!"

We don't even run hurry-up when the clock is under two minutes! I would say we snap the ball at 2,1 or 0, 75% of the time.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

This is 100% spot on and why I keep saying Baker doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't know how to play professional QB cerebrally.

he also doesn't understand what constitutes as open in the NFL..in college his receivers had miles of separation. Add in the fact he's probably afraid to throw anything even closely contested because he's a turnover machine, this is the result..one read qb with bad mechanics and zero touch ability. Whens the last time we've seen him drop a ball in over coverage?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
Legend
Legend
C
At the beginning of the season when we lost I didn’t want to listen to anyone talk about the Browns in a negative light because I didn’t want what they said to be true.

After a couple losses I didn’t want to listen to what people said because I didn’t want it to be true.

Now I actively seek out negative information because it leaves me someone to blame.

I hate this team.

Legend
Legend
Last year Baker’s ball seemed to be more accurate and he seemed way more decisive. This year it’s the opposite

His confidence is shaken and he seems to be second guessing him himself on nearly every pass.

That's what I see as well. He has all but abandoned any effort to throw it deep. He's looking for all of the underneath stuff and when he throws it, he throws it 100 mph like he's afraid it's going to get picked. I don't know if it's pressure from early in the year, his pick numbers being up, I don't know what it is but something is in his head

yebat' Putin
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

he also doesn't understand what constitutes as open in the NFL..in college his receivers had miles of separation. Add in the fact he's probably afraid to throw anything even closely contested because he's a turnover machine, this is the result..one read qb with bad mechanics and zero touch ability. Whens the last time we've seen him drop a ball in over coverage?

I don't think that's the issue. He did that plenty last year.

Last year he wasn't asked to think. This year, as part of the evolution of a QB, he is. And he's failing at it.

He just doesn't know how to think the game first then execute after. He's completely confused and the lack of success has hurt his confidence. He's just winging it at this point.

I'm not sure what to make of it all. I don't know what this means for his long-term prospects.

Legend
Legend

Right! And then we complain about Baker not being able to make his reads lol. It was the same crap we went through under Shurmur. McCoy and Weeden who have opposite skill sets had the exact same problems

This is especially true on critical downs or where there was confusion or something to fight about. I totally put this on Freddie because he's arguing and yelling like a HC should but he's not getting the next play in...

We lost a chance to get the ball back yesterday because we blew out last 2 timeouts on 3rd and 4th downs because we couldn't get the play in... so we just had to sit and watch them run out the clock.

yebat' Putin
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

Legend
Legend
I chalk that sort of thing up to Learning Curve.

When I take a step back and think about the things that are going wrong (most of which are getting listed in several threads at once on here), I see things that are inherently fixable, and things that are inherent to inexperience.

It mostly boils down to Freddie and Baker.
Freddie is making some head-scratcher decisions at times, but those will go away with experience.
Baker is NOT playing like we've seen him play, and it mostly seems to be because of his lack of experience and the learning cliff associated with being a Year 2 QB.

Taking those things into consideration, I could very easily see where this roster (it still isn't a team) could start to play really well if they just start making little bits of progress with the things they are not doing well.

Of particular note is the very dramatic decrease in penalties and other self-inflicted wounds that we've seen all season long. There was still the very weak roughing call on Richardson, but that's really the only killer I can think of.

Unfortunately, what still happened were those couple of big plays where lapses in judgement allowed them to just kill us. e.g. Lindsay's big run.... just before the snap, our DE shifted one gap inside, then Lindsay ended up running right through the gap our guy vacated, but NOBODY behind him came in to fill that gap. SOMEBODY freelanced and it cost us 7 points. This will sounds very Butch Davis, but other than those two or three big plays, we played them pretty well.

It's still a very painful & dejecting loss, and the season is absolutely over at this point, but there IS visible progress from these guys. They ARE working at it, but they just haven't got it all together, yet.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Has Kitchens ever developed a QB into a legit top 12 QB in his
Celebrated coaching career ?

Legend
Legend

Last year, I remember a specific endzone play. He had something like 2 slant routes coming from the left side, but Baker read the coverage and new he had to occupy the safety get one of the slant routes open. So he motioned the running back over to the other side of him to draw off the safety, snapped the ball, looked off towards the first route and then threw to the receiver on the second slant. Guys that broke down that play were drooling over what they saw, because Baker was doing Peyton Manning-level things in his rookie year. I also remember people saying during his draft interview that he was one of the most cerebral QBs in the Whiteboard sessions.

I don't think he's suddenly lost this ability. Something else is going on. I think getting the play-calls in with 7 seconds left on the play-clock could be a big part of it. When Freddy is trying to do HC things while also trying to get a play-call in, he probably has too much stuff on his plate.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper

Well, technically ... last year during the last 8 games, Baker was a top 12 QB for the most part.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper

Well, technically ... last year during the last 8 games, Baker was a top 12 QB for the most part.
the problem is we don’t know if thats because of Kitchens, Williams approach, Zampese’s creativity, etc

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Great lead in to what I’m going to post. I’ve never played the position but I think i could argue that the success of a play has more to do with what happens before the snap than what occurs after. When the play comes in late and we’re not lined up until 4 seconds left, Baker has no time to read what he is seeing, compare that with what he should be looking for, and making adjustments accordingly. Instead, what he has to do is snap the ball then figure out what he’s seeing and how to adjust. No kidding he’s not confident in any of his throws, even the obvious open targets.

And for those criticizing him for not being able to make his 2nd and 3rd reads... so what? Eventually he has to get there, but why this need to make things more complicated than they have any need being? If you want your QB to get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds, you don’t burden him with making 3 reads as the play progresses unless you’ve designed the routes to lead his eyes from one WR to the next. Much like artwork where good composition leads your eye from one element to the next.

Give Baker the tools and opportunity to diagnose the defense before the snap and I predict a marked improvement.

-Jack Burton

Legend
Legend
Made a poll just to see where everyone stands on where the "issues" lay:

Blame Poll

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 19 Broncos 24 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard