Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Lamar couldn't get the broadside of a barn when he passed the ball in college. He has grown up a lot and had really put in the work in the offseason.

Don't think its true... Lamar always had a good arm and has always been a good passer.

Same for Deshaun. I also think its a requirement for mobile QB's to be good passers, specially have good arms and the ability to throw from unconventional platforms.

cle23 #1691205 11/11/19 08:32 AM
Legend
Legend
j/c

Just because you mentioned the term OC ... I read the report that said we wanted Stefanski from Minnesota, but Jimmy and Dorsey went with FK.

I have to say: Minnesota’s offense looks A LOT like I’d want ours to ... and they have very similar personnel (Cook, Diggs, Thielen, and a serviceable QB) ... dang

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Rishuz #1691210 11/11/19 09:09 AM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Baker got drafted into a dysfunctional organization with a poor, loser culture.
This was true last year as well and but Baker played better last year.

Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Here's a better question...do you think Lamar would be having the same success with the Browns?
I look at the question in similar but slightly different way. But both of our questions require detailed look at each QBs skillset and how those skills fit in with their respective teams.

Simply put though, I think if you insert Lamar into this current iteration of the Browns the offense/team would improve. If you're into advanced stats they try to quantify this through EPA (expected points added) and Lamar's EPA is significantly higher then Baker's (even if you isolate passing and exclude running).

edromeo #1691231 11/11/19 10:34 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nothing like cherry picking stats to try and prove your point.

Joe Thomas #73
T
Legend
Legend
T
Why are you even discussing this?

This topic should be deleted or moved to the smack shack.

It doesn't matter at all until they get some stability and a competent coaching scheme.

Everybody knows Baker is the best QB of any one drafted the year he came out, but the Browns' organizational dysfunction have gone a ways toward ruining him,

as they would have any of the others that could have come to the Browns.
thumbsdown

BADdog #1691250 11/11/19 11:38 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Nothing like cherry picking stats to try and prove your point.

I wasn't trying to prove any point. Just an interesting tweet. Lamar has been impressive in his young career.

I'd rather have Baker.

Swish #1691259 11/11/19 12:08 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
So in other words.... "I told you so".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Baker is a QB Lamar is a RB trying to be a QB ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Really?

He's thrown 15 td's and 5 int's so far this season.

He threw for 88.2% pass completions yesterday. He's thrown for 65.9% completions for the season.

If he's "trying" he's doing pretty well at it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Really I would take Baker everyday of the week Lamar is one hit away from being finished he runs way to much and most of his passes are behind the LOS to 10 yards down field ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Umm...don’t most QBs throw passes between the LOS and 10 yards?

How’s is that somehow a knock on Lamar? This is exactly what I’m talking about. These imaginary narratives, as if that same standard doesn’t apply to Baker or anyone else.

Lamar might be one hit away, but we’ve already seen Baker take WAY harder shots than Lamar this season and last.

And he runs no where near as much. That’s a fact.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
PitDAWG #1691286 11/11/19 01:58 PM
Legend
Legend
Looking objectively... Lamar has done what has been asked of him and he's done it reasonably well.... as for how good he is and what his stats "prove"...

Of his 15 TDs, 8 of them came in 2 games against the Dolphins and the Bengals... Against teams with a .500 or better record, (4 games, New England, KC, Seattle, Pittsburgh).. he has 2 TDs and 3 INTs.. but the Ravens are 3-1.. soooo, there is that.

Lamar has been put in a perfect situation, a strong running team with a good defense and organizational stability... he's not making many mistakes, he's using his legs very well, and he's almost constantly throwing from good situations because they don't make a lot of mistakes, they get up in games, and they are usually ahead of the chains...

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wasn't trying to suggest that I would take Lamar over Baker. But let's be honest here, a QB is given a game plan and expected to execute it.

Claiming Lamar is "learning to do that" seems rather silly.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1691334 11/11/19 03:08 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
But let's be honest here, a QB is given a game plan and expected to execute it.

Claiming Lamar is "learning to do that" seems rather silly.

In the words of Mike Tyson, everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

The Ravens, and Lamar, have done an excellent job of developing and executing gameplans.. that's why Lamar's rating in the 1st quarter is like 134... that's why they have only really been behind in 2 games all year in the second half... and they lost both of them...

It's to Lamar's credit that he hasn't had to execute game winning drives because they are almost always ahead early... but at some point he is going to have to win a game late and we will see if he can do it.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't think anyone is afraid of Lamar Jackson having to pass his way to get a come from behind victory.

The Ravens look like a total one and done team in the playoffs. They are not as good as they appear.

PitDAWG #1691342 11/11/19 03:20 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

For perspective...

The game winning "drive" in this game was the result of a JuJu Smith-Schuster fumble at their own 35 yard line giving the ball to the Ravens already in FG range for Tucker.

The drive consisted of:

Jackson rushed for 3 yards
Ingram rushes for 1 yard
Jackson rushes for 2 yards.

Tucker boots GW 46 yard FG.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201910060pit.htm#all_pbp

R
Legend
Legend
R
That's a lot of perspective.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And they won! wink

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1691350 11/11/19 03:24 PM
Legend
Legend

Yea.. he was 2 for 2 for 17 yards on 2 dump offs and about 5 running plays to get into FG range... He got the win, good for him... He did enough. Not sure why you think I'm bashing Lamar because I'm not.. just saying, I haven't seen a guy who can overcome adversity and win a game late... maybe he can...

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

It's to Lamar's credit that he hasn't had to execute game winning drives because they are almost always ahead early... but at some point he is going to have to win a game late and we will see if he can do it.

I was simply responding to this.

#gmstrong
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
So sense Baker has beat him badly in head to head does that make Mayfield hall of fame material ?

Last edited by jacksondawg; 11/11/19 03:30 PM.
PitDAWG #1691390 11/11/19 04:34 PM
Legend
Legend
Pit, I will just conclude my participation in this debate with this... I think Baker and Lamar both still have a LONG way to go to prove that they possess the entire skill set and can be consistent enough to be a teams 12-15 year franchise QB...

I think Baker benefitted last year from a LOT of hype because of how historically bad the Browns have been.. I mean, raising somebody from the dead is far more impressive than just keeping somebody alive to begin with.... and that's what Baker appeared to do.

Lamar is benefitting this year from the organizational situation, which is ideal for a QB like him...

Baker got punched in the mouth at the beginning of this year.. he seems to be coming around... Lamar is really yet to get punched in the mouth with any serious adversity but he will.. then we will see how he responds...

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
The jury is still out on both of them. For now Lamar is certainly having more success. I do however agree we will not know who Lamar really is until adversity comes knocking.

My comments were purely based on the production of the two at this point in time.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1691444 11/11/19 07:09 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Really?

He's thrown 15 td's and 5 int's so far this season.

He threw for 88.2% pass completions yesterday. He's thrown for 65.9% completions for the season.

If he's "trying" he's doing pretty well at it.

and he's still never going to be a Cleveland Brown

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
But oh, those commercials! I can relate to the newest one where Baker is trying to find the alarm that is beeping.

But I digress...

Call me giddy, but I think Kareem Hunt is going to have a bigger effect on this offense, let alone Baker, than I thought. Can't wait to see this progression when next we play the Ravens...ergo, Lamar. And maybe Freddy's a second half of the season kind of coach. He'll put it all together next year...I hope.

Legend
Legend
I think (or at least I hope) that Freddie and a number of our players approach the off-season completely different than they did last year.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

I'm wondring how you Dawgs feel Would you trade Baker for Lamar? Not that either team would do it....I'm still a Baker guy.

Lamar IF he comes with Harbaugh.

Harbaugh is a fantastic coach and uses the strengths of his players wisely.

I just don't see Kitchens having done the same, or worse, maybe Lamar comes in when Baker would've with Jackson still as coach, runs around a bit and makes some magic before the Defenses catches up giving us a few wins. Then we still have Hue as head coach. No thanks to that.

Can't just pick the player in a bubble.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I predict Lamar will be out of the league in less than 5 years and Mayfield will still be in Cleveland. Lamar will have a MAJOR injury, and after that he'll never be the same again. Its not a matter of if but when.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend

Way to early to get an accurate read on this comparison.

Baker was taken number one for many reasons. Lamar was taken 32 for reasons.

At that point everything changes. Once into the NFL everything changes.

Lamar and Baker are two different cats. They play a different game. Both of the offenses have to cater the offense to their quarterback. Both teams have done that.

Lamar was not a accurate passer in college. What you see is what Lamar was. An exceptional talent learning to play quarterback. He has made giant strides as a passer. His running ability is unique. He is doing some amazing things this year.

Baker came out of college as a analytics dream. It was part of the reason he was drafted number one. That and his ability as a leader. He will never be able to run like Lamar. He has to depend on his ability to pass the ball accurately.

The Ravens have be applauded. They traded Flacco and committed to Lamar. They tailored the offense to take full advantage of his skills. Lamar has delivered. Better than anyone imagined.

Baker struggled early. Then took off after the head coaching change. He put up super numbers especially in the red zone. Arguable should have won ROY.

This year it has been a struggle early. He has played poorly. The team has played poorly. The coaching staff has not figured out how to run this team. The last three games there has been improvement. Both in Baker's play and in team play.

But you can not judge a career based upon little more than a season. There is no reason why both players can not be great. But the NFL is a hard training ground and lots can happen.

So at this point it is incomplete.

I am glad we have Baker. I was a Darnold guy. Still believe he will be a very good quarterback.

A quarterback has to have a team to reach team goals.

I like Baker's chances. He is a driven guy with skill. That goes a long way. If the Browns can build a true team; I think we will be haapy to have Baker.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Really I would take Baker everyday of the week Lamar is one hit away from being finished he runs way to much and most of his passes are behind the LOS to 10 yards down field ...
When was the last time you watch Tom Brady QB?

FYI, Baker has only been effective this year when he has thrown quick reads and short routes.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Where do people get this idea that Lamar wasn't accurate in college?

Accuracy depends on the system on what type of QB you are. A mobile QB will require and have much lower comp.% than a WCO QB.

Lamar can be good with high 50's low 60's % completion, while Baker has to be on the high 60's 70% completion %.

Its obvious to me that Lamar is so much more accurate and throws so much better on the move than Baker ever did.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

From watching him play QB...rather than reading about his stats.

Legend
Legend
Strikes me as a new iteration of Vick. He threw better and nobody could catch him. Then he got stopped. Wasn't Slash the same deal? Hurt people with legs, then gone.

Lamar is having individual success and deserves most of the credit. I do not think it can last.

Baker isn't there yet. But I believe in his upside. Baker.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
The thing that stopped Vick was a prison sentence.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1692131 11/14/19 11:49 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
That and his lack of dedication/common sense.

What the Ravens are doing with LJ is remarkable, commendable, genius, etc. They are putting him in positions to have success and slowly develop his QB skills while unleashing his crazy athletic gift. It's simply brilliant and something I didn't think was possible...but he and they have clearly pulled that off thus far. It is the classic case of a QB going to the "right" team. With each passing week - no pun intended - he becomes closer to being a POTENTIALLY legit NFL QB. Good for him.

On the flip side is a guy like Rosen. Who knows whether that guy has legit POTENTIAL or not? We and he may never find that out. His is the classic case of a QB going to the wrong team(s). Sucks for him.

I'd still take Baker over either one because I think he's a decade-long type of QB. Last year I thought his situation was perfect for him - similar to LJ's at B'More this year. Now, I'm not so sure. Rather than build the team to suit the QB, we went a little bananas and weakened the interior of the line, didn't improve a bit at OT and weakened the TE group...not to mention getting AWAY from a scheme he was comfortable in last year. The OPPOSITE of what B'More did for LJ.

If the guys switched teams, Baker would be Peyton and Lamar would be RG3/Rosen. And I say that more due to coaching and scheme than raw talent - which they BOTH have. The Ravens did and do what whatever is necessary to help LJ succeed. I cannot say/see that about the Browns right now. JMO

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

From watching him play QB...rather than reading about his stats.

That's what puzzles me, because I was watching him in college and always thought he had an amazing arm, he is capable of amazing throws in a less than ideal platform. Just like Darnold, but Lamar has much better decision making skills.

I don't think mobile QB can excel without top notch arm talent. Lamar is like RG3 without all the problems...

Last edited by rastanplan; 11/14/19 01:44 PM.
Legend
Legend

If there were not accuracy issues with Lamar in college; he would have never lasted to the 32nd pick.

His throwing mechanics were poor. Very narrow base when throwing from the pocket. It starts there and that leads to to a whole lot of other problems. Stride, hip turn, release.

He missed guys who were wide open by yards.

He has worked on it. His improvement as a passer is something I did not foresee. It is hard to correct the kinds of problems he had in so short a time.

He was far from a natural thrower.

Swish #1692357 11/14/19 06:01 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
The thing that stopped Vick was a prison sentence.

Vick had most of his best years AFTER he got out of prison, playing for a not-very-good Eagles team.. He had more opportunity in ATL before prison and only managed one decent winning record..

Lamar has 10x the upside that Vick had..

yebat' Putin
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker or Lamar

Link Copied to Clipboard