Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1694481 11/15/19 02:22 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I've been critical of Browns D for playing "well" at times but not really making big plays, tonight they made a lot of big plays. the only Steelers scoring drive was 90% penalties..

the offense played ok, still left a lot on the field... didn't capitalize on TOs.

Mayfield looked pretty good, mistakes are way down, which is good. Clearly still not completely on the same page with WRs.. a lot of his throws weren't an accuracy problem, they were "I thought you were going a different way" problem.

Will openly admit on that last TD drive I was hoping we would just run it on 3rd down and kick the FG.. gutsy play and one heck of a catch by Carlson...

A lot of players on D played well but Schobert is D player of the week. Probably shouldn't even be close.

yebat' Putin
1st String
1st String
Shobert played a heck of a game. He definitely should be player of the week

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have probably lost some of our most important players on D for multiple games and injury.

Sad to say, even with a win, our season is lost.

Legend
Legend
I thought the D played well also, but I'd probably feel a little bit better about it if I knew they weren't playing Pittsburgh's B-team. It was sort of like the Jets game, where we were playing a severally handicapped side, and we didn't exactly win going-away.

Schobert had himself a night. I thought Mac Wilson played well too. Greedy though needs to learn to turn his head when the ball is up in the air. He got a couple of PI calls, and felt like he could of been called for a few others.

In defense of the offense, The Steelers' Defense is legit. As much as everyone has been screaming for us to run it and run it again, Chubb wasn't exactly getting huge running lanes. Our offensive line has some major issues too. Still, the defense had several big turnovers that put us at midfield or closer ... those should have been turned into points by the offense. Instead, we went three-and-out and missed on long FG attempts.

I feel like Beckham is almost hurting us at this point as well. More than a few times Baker would throw his way, the the ball would sail past him, and he had a look on his face like, "Oh, was the play going my way that time?" Hopefully he attends all involuntary workouts this off-season.

Again, this sort of felt like the Jets win earlier this year, where we won, but it felt like we should of won by a lot more. Then the whole Garrett thing happened, and it felt like we won the game, but lost the season.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Setting the fight aside, this team has much to be proud about.

Our D destroyed them. Wilks called an amazing D.
He brung the heat when he needed to. Everyone was on point and did their jobs. Was it 4 turnovers? Wow!

I feel bad for the D that their awesome effort is going to be lost in the crapstorm.

On O, well, first drive was great! After that, I dont know. Our players were trying to make a silk purse out of a swine's ear worth of playcalling.

I'm not going to complain about FK because we won. But I am staring at him and Monkin hard.

No Craps Given
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Freddie's offense sucks.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The play to Harris, where we had the double PI call I didn't understand... Harris was open, the ball was on the way, all he had to do was play the ball.. instead he started pushing and grabbing at the DB and ended up having to try a 1 handed catch on the ball... the play was there, just make the play.

The play to OBJ in the corner of the endzone, he was coming open, Baker threw it right where it needed to be and OBJ wasn't looking until way too late and he had stopped the route..

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
I feel like OBJ doesnt give a crap about this team or even try.

I could be wrong. Maybe he is just overrated. tongue

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OP:

Wait...you mean all that pushing, shoving, throwing, and running around weren't just the undercards for the main event and there was a football game going on?

Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I feel like OBJ doesnt give a crap about this team or even try.

I could be wrong. Maybe he is just overrated. tongue

We were wondering on discord if he legit needs a prescription visor. Looks like he's running around blind out there too often. Can he not make out the ball until it gets too close?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
So the thing that stands out to me over the past several weeks is that the offense comes out hot and then sputters after the first one or two drives.

I think that this points to play calling being a major issue. Roughly the first 15 plays are scripted and put together by the offensive staff. We look really good when running those first plays. But after that, when the play calling becomes more situational and reactive, the productivity plummets.

To me, this really indicates that we should change how plays are being called or change who is calling them, because at the beginning of the game, it looks like the staff is actually putting together some pretty good concepts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
NFL managed to make a sad day out of what should be sheer happiness.

WE BEAT THE STEELERS!!!

But instead of joy, I’m sad Garrett will be suspended all year FOR DEFENDING HIMSELF.
I won’t say more than that cuz this thread isn’t about the fight.

No Higgins sightings was weird.

Terrible play calling.

Showboat showed out!
Burnett had a great game before the injury too.

Where were all the Ejections when Ray Lewis and James Harrison we’re ending Browns players careers with dirty hits?

All that said...

WE WHOOPED THE STEELERS!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Also, lets not forget the HUGE CONGRATS for Nick Chubb!

He got his 1K yards!

Good Job. laugh

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Schobert was awesome last night, and Wilson seemed to be as well.

Ward made a few very nice plays to save big gains.

Carlson with a heck of a catch.

Our offense just doesn’t seem to click nearly enough.

OBJ is a huge bust for us.

Hodge made an impact.

No Higgins targets? That continues to be a strange situation

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It was a win against a hated foe.

The D was awesome.

Our running back tandem is excellent. I wish we had 53 Chubbs of different sizes, shapes, and skillsets.

Landry is a stud.

Shobert is the unsung hero.

We have good corners, but Greedy needs to mature and play smarter.

Mack Wilson is good, I think he can be great.

Baker shoed some nice pocket awareness, and he's definitely playing better.

Where the "f" is Higgins? Whatever is going on here, it's BS that is hurting the team. He needs to be on the field because...

Baker and OBJ have absolutely zero chemistry and OBJ has very little idea where he's supposed to be. I think he's too busy building his "brand" to study the playbook and catch with two hands. PS - He is basically useless in tight coverage.

Burnett was having one hell of a game until he blew out his Achilles. He may be done. Sucks.

Wish we'd blitz more often, especially against young, inexperienced QBs. We give them way to much time to get comfortable. JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree on OBJ/Baker ... it’s like they have no connectivity at all. One is off on each play. Heck, OBJ is being re-directed before each snap by Baker or Jarvis. Something’s amiss between them

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pisses me off. Someone (OBJ) is not doing their homework.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
-D showed up, bigtime! I can't even begin to express how happy it makes me to say that. Been waiting to say that all season. And to the people that say we beat their B-team... well that B team was on a 4 game run. Plus, nobody gave us any credit when we were trotting our injured B teams out there all those years.

Schobert was making HUGE plays!!
Burnett played really well against his old team
Greedy should change his name to lazy. No reason he should be toasted by a 17th stringer like he was.
Ward played well. Had the PI, but made up for it.

-We needed a win, and we got it. I hope the locker room doesn't lose sight of us going out and getting a tough win when we needed one. This was a huge huge huge win (statement win). Before the madness, Aikman was saying this exact thing... something to the effect of "lots of teams that put it together and start rolling can point back to a single game that was the turning point". Up until 10 secs to go, I was convinced this game was it.

-Offense is improving. Execution on offense is way way up. As Baker said, it's not where it needs to be, but they played pretty much mistake-free football, which is a HUGE improvement from just a couple games ago. I'll take it. Now they just need to progress on to ironing out these timing issues between QB and WR. Offense isn't where it should be, but it's to a point where they can be carried by a dominant defensive effort. That's a huge improvement.

Why no Higgins? Hodge showed up and played well, though. Pitt's secondary is no joke.
Our Oline got abused in the second half. Couldn't get any sort of run game going.
Credit where it's due, Freddie stuck with Chubb in the second half. Didn't think he had it in him.
Hunt was HUGE. We're just scratching the surface having him out there, but his 3rd down plays were critical.
I thought Baker played his best game of the season. He was a different guy in terms of moving around in the pocket. He made mostly good decisions, no TOs, and I only remember 1 pass that should've been picked (dropped by the D). Again, hope the locker room doesn't lose sight of the positive from this game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.. Our Offense is hampered by the O-Line play at the out set. I can't rap my head around Freddie the play caller last year vers. this season. Way to much talent on the O for the minuscule production...
.. Think I really got it Wrrrrong when it comes to Fred . Very disappointed in Coaching..
.. Don't care for the 4/2 and a lot of zone from Wilks, but will say that was the best D play since the Rats game. Schobert made me eat Vrow in this game ..lol

Legend
Legend
Our play calling is mind boggling a lot of the time ... the sequence at the end of the half was awful again. we had a big turnover, had the ball on their 35 yard line ... and had 3 straight bad plays

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.. Don't understand the inner workings of Mokin and Kitchens with the O .. No doubt Fred is pass happy... It's early ( two back/backfield ) but I don't see any cohesiveness when their both on the field .. I'm just some Old , old Football fan and I saw certain plays coming a mile away . DC's are locked in on our O fairly well... I go up the food chain a little further than most posters do " Dorsey " .. I had John pegged as a double edge sword when we hired him . Just like Kitchen's make you scrtach your head ; Dorsey is my main event at this point.. Don't even get me ranting about the Higgins thing !

D
Legend
Legend
D
Anyone know how many snaps Higgs played yesterday?

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
- The defense has played three terrible offenses in a row. This is the first they have truly stepped up in. Despite injuries. Schobert of course was great, but I thought Ward was as well.

-Greedy really needs to work on his ball skills. Money Mitch should be starting in his place

-Our offense has played 3 great defenses in a row without a TO, big change from the start of the year, that is half the battle.

-Our oline is not good, but I thought they at least played average and not terrible against a very stuff stealers unit. But the people that think we can just line up and run it down great defenses throats are mistaken, that was proven at times in this game and in our red zone offense over the past few week.

-Bakers pocket awareness was exceptional and was part of the difference in this game.

-Bakers is rolling right less often and when he does he is finding people, if they stay on their routes.

-The #1 problem with our O is the line. I can accept that because they are trying hard, but lack the talent. The #2 problem with our O is the wide receivers, mostly I am talking about OBJ and occasionally Landry. They prepare for the game by picking out shoes and deciding how to taunt Tomlin, yet don't know what route to run or where to line up. I truly believe Higgins would produce more than OBJ.

-While I'll provide some defense of Kitchens play calling, the lack of discipline on his team is indefensible. If he could get discipline and accountability we would be a solid playoff team.

-Look for our offense to break out against the dolphins, the first non-elite D they have seen in a long while. and the D to survive against another poor offense

Legend
Legend
Didn't see him, or Ratley, at all.... instead, we saw a bunch of Hodge.

Hodge has somehow gotten ahead of both of them in all packages, despite being lower on the depth chart.

I'm thinking that Higgins, Ratley, and Callaway all have worked themselves into the dog house.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Steelers offense is not terrible. It's obviously not as good as it is with Ben, but they have a top 3 Online and a strong running game. They have guys that can make plays with the ball in their hands and, most importantly, they have a system that maximizes strengths and has a clear directive (run ball, control clock, let the D win the game).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg

-The #1 problem with our O is the line. I can accept that because they are trying hard, but lack the talent. The #2 problem with our O is the wide receivers, mostly I am talking about OBJ and occasionally Landry. They prepare for the game by picking out shoes and deciding how to taunt Tomlin, yet don't know what route to run or where to line up. I truly believe Higgins would produce more than OBJ.

-While I'll provide some defense of Kitchens play calling, the lack of discipline on his team is indefensible. If he could get discipline and accountability we would be a solid playoff team.

While I will completely agree with your first point there, I will not agree with the second and the evidence is the growth this team is showing every game. Turnovers are down, penalties are WAY down, especially the most egregious which are the alignment & pre-snap variety.... that is ALL discipline.

Browns is the Browns

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I'm thinking that Higgins, Ratley, and Callaway all have worked themselves into the dog house.

Yep, Higgins may need to start dropping passes, line up incorrectly, run the wrong route, get some fancy shoes, skip practices, and do drugs if he wants to see the field. Kitchens standard, thats why this team is underachieving.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Great point bringing up pre snap penalties. There was a stretch in the first half where the Steelers were totally out of sorts.

-PrplPplEater
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Baker did indeed improve and it shows, but you don't have to bash other players to justify his lack of production.

OL is not Bad, and our Wr's are exceptional.Your beef with OBJ is just absurd..

Last edited by rastanplan; 11/15/19 10:52 AM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ya ... it’s Freddies fault .... he ran them for every penalty during TC ... HE CANT FINE THEM FOR PENALTIES ...

Let me ask all u menZas ..... 4 life u run your mouth about this all the time ...

Whats Freddies solution? ... exactly what should he do to establish discipline in these MORONS? ...

Freddie deserves some of the heat ya’all give him ... but on this one ... YOUR DEAD NUTS WRONG!!!! The HC can only do so much ...

I’ll be waiting for LEGITE SOLUTIONS from any of ya’all that wanna blame Freddie for everything ....

WHAT EXACTLY WOUD ALL U menZas DO?

Legend
Legend
I'll second his beef with OBJ; dude is a straight-up individual, not a Team guy, at all. OBJ is about OBJ and every one of his antics proves that over and over again. Each time he takes the field and doesn't know where to line up or which route to run, it shows that.

Browns is the Browns

L
Legend
Legend
L
Defense played well, albeit against 2nd and 3rd teamers..Juju was getting wide open against ward/greedy. So I think that has to be taken into consideration on the overall performance. But they did what they needed to on a night where poor playcalling and oline play reared its head again. I swear with a decent OC and we probably scored atleast 35 last night. This offense should run through our backfield. You have a guy leading the league in rushing right now and a guy that lead the league in rushing two years ago and was on pace again before suspended and you get pass happy. Or you run in obvious sets. Theres no balance to the calls and they don't make any sense. It doesn't appear to be any gameplan, nor do we make decent adjustments in game.. Thats why we come out hot and then fizzle the rest of the game. Team needs more discipline in all 3 phases. Hopefully we get vernon back. Hopefully we address the safety position somehow. Going to be hard to do, burnett was lights out last night. Best he's played the whole season. Baker has been keeping the turnovers down and made some good decisions last night as well as some poor reads, but he is playing much better and not hurting the team like he was early in the year. Something looks off with his throwing motion though..can't put my finger on it but it looks different. I think last night Hunt should have got the majority of the carries since it was a short week. That's how you manage workload with two capable guys. Chubb looked gassed last night and missed some holes/cuts. Short week, he should have been given a lighter workload.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think were learning why the Gnats basically gave him away .... at least he produced there .... wonder if he’s pouting cause he’s not on broadway anymore .... biggest disappointment in a season chalk full of them ..

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Baker did indeed improve and it shows, but you don't have to bash other players to justify his lack of production.

OL is not Bad, and our Wr's are exceptional.Your beef with OBJ is just absurd..

Actually, i am justifying kitchens play calling more than anything. We don't have an oline that can just line up and run power football. Our wr's have exceptional talent but are not playing probowl football, especially obj, he is good for 2 drops a game. he nearly dropped the first td. I stand by higgins should replace him. I'm glad we have someone like Hunt now that runs good routes and makes contested catches.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Ya ... it’s Freddies fault .... he ran them for every penalty during TC ... HE CANT FINE THEM FOR PENALTIES ...

Let me ask all u menZas ..... 4 life u run your mouth about this all the time ...

Whats Freddies solution? ... exactly what should he do to establish discipline in these MORONS? ...

Freddie deserves some of the heat ya’all give him ... but on this one ... YOUR DEAD NUTS WRONG!!!! The HC can only do so much ...

I’ll be waiting for LEGITE SOLUTIONS from any of ya’all that wanna blame Freddie for everything ....

I certainly am not paid or hired to know the solution, I’m simply pointing out what we all know: this team has been very undisciplined and it’s cost us big time. In terms of what I’d do? Well, I’d start by consulting veteran coaches and instilling what they do/did (Maybe he has or hasn’t, I’m not sure). The other thing that’s important: it’s TOUGH to do that stuff now ... that seed has already been planted months ago. The classroom is already out of control; the teacher’s new approach won’t change much.

Legend
Legend
I think were learning why the Gnats basically gave him away .... at least he produced there .... wonder if he’s pouting cause he’s not on broadway anymore .... biggest disappointment in a season chalk full of them ..

My bigger worry with him is the possibile negative impact on Landry.

I don't think he will drag him down, per se, Landry seems to be better than that and instead takes on the big brother role and tries to help OBJ, but is there a tipping point? Is there a point where Landry just stops trying to help OBJ? Probably not because that hurts the team, but is there a point where Landry gets in his face and tells him to get his crap together?

Browns is the Browns

B
2nd String
2nd String
B

If I had the answer I'd be a millionaire coach. I just know good coaches create some kind of culture within their team that gets people to do the right things and make the right decisions and be accountable. Blame the players if you like, but I have seen this time and again, where the players were blamed for everything and a new (good) coach comes in and everything changes. Bob Stoops took an OU team in 1999 that it was said was no good and turned them into national champs in two years, with the same players!!!

That being said Kitchens is slowing improving, he just started at the bottom of the barrel

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Schobert deserves a Brinks truck of money and he's going to get it.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I have been critical of the D and Joe S, but they played well. I am concerned tho that Mason and the Steeler offense is just that bad lol.

Offense started out good, moving the ball, but we completed abandoned the run at first. We didn't start running the ball until after Pitts scored the TD, when Freddie had a wake up call as in "oh crap, they might come back on us" and then he was playing not to lose.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ya. U being able to instill discipline is all that sets u apart from being a millionaire coach .... rofl ....

Oh ... so U and 4-Life have nothing other than a bunch of BS ....

Freddie ran them during TC for every penalty they committed .... 4 life he consulted the tuna a few weeks ago ... he told the tuna he stopped running them to save their legs ... Tuna said what are u saving them for your not sinning now ... *LOL* .... so he started running them again a few weeks ago ... don’t know if he still is ...

This lack of discipline is not on Freddie ... u guys are just frustrated menZas ... at least u are 4life ... not sure what bakes minion is even doing here pretending he’s a dawg ... hes a baker fan, a temporary browns fan ... We’ll be here long after bake ad his minion are gone ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
In regards to Higgs ...

RASHARD HIGGINS
WR, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Rashard Higgins wasn't targeted in the Browns' Week 11 win over the Steelers.
Although he's now the Browns' unquestioned No. 3 receiver following the release of Antonio Callaway, Higgins was on the field for just 28-of-70 snaps. The Browns were featuring lots of two-tight end sets. Higgins got upstaged by No. 4 wideout KhaDarel Hodge, who caught a 41-yard pass. It just isn't happening for Higgins this year, who can't even be trusted as a WR5 in PPR leagues.

Nov 15, 2019, 1:01 AM ET

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Steelers 7 Post Game (NOT THE FIGHT)

Link Copied to Clipboard