12:56 PM ET
ESPN
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
Cleveland Browns star Myles Garrett used a precedent-based argument on Wednesday during his suspension appeal hearing, citing the NFL's punishment of a former Houston Texans player in 2013, a source told ESPN's Dan Graziano.

Five days after being suspended indefinitely for ripping off Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph's helmet and clubbing him in the head with it, Garrett and the NFLPA met with league officials Wednesday morning in New York.

ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett and the NFLPA contended, the source told Graziano, that the worst punishment any player received for a similar incident was Houston's Antonio Smith, who was suspended in 2013 for two preseason games and one regular-season game for swinging his helmet at then-Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito.

The NFL suspended Garrett for the remainder of this season, including any potential postseason games, and announced last Friday that he will have to meet with the commissioner's office before being reinstated for 2020.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Rudolph regrets his actions, is OK with Garrett

Kitchens: Browns standing by suspended Garrett

Tomlin: Steelers accept role in melee with Browns
Garrett argued that six games -- the remainder of the regular season -- is excessive under the precedent established by Smith's suspension, especially because Smith only missed one game check since players aren't paid for preseason games, the source told Graziano.

Garrett and the NFLPA also argued that an indefinite suspension is not permitted under the league's collective bargaining agreement, according to the source.

Meanwhile, a representative of the Steelers joined Maurkice Pouncey's appeal hearing by phone Tuesday in support of the center, who was suspended three games.

A source told Graziano that the Steelers believe Pouncey received the three-game ban in order to avoid him playing in the Week 13 rematch against the Browns.

According to Graziano, Pouncey's side contends that no other on-field fight in NFL history has resulted in a suspension longer than one game, so that would have been an appropriate punishment.

Even if reduced from three games to two on appeal, Pouncey's suspension would still run through the Steelers' second game against the Browns.

Garrett's hearing started at approximately 9:30 a.m. ET on Wednesday morning, and the Pro Bowl defensive end was seen leaving less than two hours later. A source told ESPN's Dianna Russini that the NFL wants to make a decision quickly on Garrett's appeal.

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens reiterated his support for Garrett earlier Wednesday morning but acknowledged that the team has no "control" over whether the league reduces his suspension.

"We can't control that. ... We're just gonna control what we can control," Kitchens said. "We have nothing to do with that. Myles has great representation, but more importantly, Myles will represent himself well."

Rudolph called Garrett's actions "bush league" and "cowardly" during his postgame news conference after Pittsburgh's 21-7 loss to Cleveland last Thursday night.

But the second-year quarterback said Wednesday that he regretted his role in the brawl, saying he "should've done a better job handling that situation."

"I have no ill will towards Myles Garrett," said Rudolph, who was not suspended but is expected to be fined. "Great respect for his ability as a player. And I know that if Myles could go back, he would handle the situation differently.

"As for my involvement last week, there's no acceptable excuse. The bottom line is I should've done a better job keeping my composure in that situation and [not] fall short of what I believe it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler and a member of the NFL."

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

The Juice weighing in....

And as crazy as it may seem, OJ makes as much sense out of the fiasco as anyone.

I know the NFL wants to make Garrett a poster child, but the severity of the punishment simply doesn't fit the crime, at least there is no precedent that says it does...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree with your second and third paragraphs. No need for me to say anything, as you already state that better than I would.

Re: your first paragraph... I think it IS that simple (separating each person's actions) when it comes to handing out punishments. Swinging a helmet at another person's unprotected head is punishable with a lengthy suspension. I don't really see the point (again, in terms of assigning punishment) in hanging on what did or did not happen before said action. Rudolph kicked and punched Myles in the balls. That is a suspendable offense (apparently the NFL doesn't agree, which I wish I could understand).

Long story short...
-Garrett did something wrong, he deserves a certain punishment.
-Rudolph did something wrong, he deserves a certain punishment.

How those 2 things are linked together doesn't make either action any more or less unacceptable.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
PitDAWG #1696351 11/20/19 02:54 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
According to your scenario, every person issued a CCW would automatically shoot people in a hand to hand combat scenario.

That isn't so.

I feel like your perception is guided by a believe that just because one person is ‘armed’ and the other not that it implies the unarmed person can’t or doesn’t have the potential to be a serious danger. If that dude who had his bare hands around OBJs throat (hand to hand combat) was not wearing a helmet at the time, OBJ would have in the legal sense he 100% justified in hitting him upside the head with a helmet.

And since we still want to sensationalize this incident and use words like deadly weapon, Rudolph not only instigated the fight by committing an aggravated assault I.e. torquing Garrett’s helmet which and the potential to cause serious neck injury as well as kicking him in the groin with cleats which also had the potential to cause serious lasting injury, Myles then responds with the SAME level of force when he grabs Rudolph by his face mask, easily considered self defense. THEN when Myles is separated from Rudolph, Rudolph continues the assault HE is committing and goes after Myles, again targeting his groin. Yes it is taking Decastro to intervene but Myles IS in retreat from the situation and no one is even attempting to prevent Rudolph from continuing HIS assault on Garrett. Garrett has zero obligation to allow himself to be attacked by Rudolph. Decastros intervention is what limits Garrett to what he can do to prevent the assault.

Take this court and Myles gets off on self defense all day long.

Iistening to more and more players, this kind of thing happens all the time in practices all across the league. It’s probably why the rule book punishment is what it is and not more severe.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
FATE #1696353 11/20/19 02:57 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: FATE
j/c...

And as crazy as it may seem, OJ makes as much sense out of the fiasco as anyone.

I know the NFL wants to make Garrett a poster child, but the severity of the punishment simply doesn't fit the crime, at least there is no precedent that says it does...

If the Helmet doesn't fit, you must acquit!

Myles proved that by trying to putting the helmet back on Mason for him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
If the Helmet doesn't fit hit (hard enough), you must acquit!

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I agree with your second and third paragraphs. No need for me to say anything, as you already state that better than I would.

Re: your first paragraph... I think it IS that simple (separating each person's actions) when it comes to handing out punishments. Swinging a helmet at another person's unprotected head is punishable with a lengthy suspension. I don't really see the point (again, in terms of assigning punishment) in hanging on what did or did not happen before said action. Rudolph kicked and punched Myles in the balls. That is a suspendable offense (apparently the NFL doesn't agree, which I wish I could understand).

Long story short...
-Garrett did something wrong, he deserves a certain punishment.
-Rudolph did something wrong, he deserves a certain punishment.

How those 2 things are linked together doesn't make either action any more or less unacceptable.

I think what happened before is relevant to the swing because this isn’t a situation where Myles ran up and ambushed a defenseless Rudolph. It wasn’t something blind sided like what Larry O did. Once Rudolph let go of his helmet Myles could have walked away and ended it there. I won’t argue that. But he retaliated. Once Decastro separated him Rudolph could have not gone after him and ended it there. But he didn’t.

Most people believe the helmet part was excessive. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t equal responsibility for the fight. They should both be suspended equally for the fighting, then if you want to tack on an extra game or two for the helmet, fine. Say 4 games each for the fight plus 2 for Myles.

Had Myles just walked up and cold cocked him with the helmet when he wasn’t looking I do t think anyone would defend that. But that’s not what happened.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
If the Helmet doesn't fit hit (hard enough), you must acquit!

It’s like trying to fit a square head in a round helmet...

-Jack Burton

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
At the crux of it Oob I really think the only thing people are asking for is for this incident to be accurately, factually, and fairly. If this is such a serious incident, then everything that led up to it needs to be addressed and appropriate and proportional punishments given. If the league isn’t going to take the incident serious enough to appropriately punish all parties involved, then Myles doesn’t deserve to be rail roaded over it either. That’s all

-Jack Burton

P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't use the term "deadly weapon", you did. Hitting a player without having a helmet on with a helmet is wrong and actually you already know that. So does everyone else. Trying to rationalize bad behavior is quite unbecoming.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
At the crux of it Oob I really think the only thing people are asking for is for this incident to be accurately, factually, and fairly. If this is such a serious incident, then everything that led up to it needs to be addressed and appropriate and proportional punishments given. If the league isn’t going to take the incident serious enough to appropriately punish all parties involved, then Myles doesn’t deserve to be rail roaded over it either. That’s all

On this we agree. You'll notice that I didn't leave out Rudolph from my explanation. I don't understand why the multiple crotch hits are not only going relatively unpunished, but also unreported in all of the large media outlet articles (ESPN, CBS Sports, etc). Literally no mention of what Rudolph did.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Meanwhile, Carmen Policy has been quoted as saying that those 4-1/2 pound Riddell helmets apparently "don't pack much of a wallop" without a head in them.

grin

P
Legend
Legend
P

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's a good thing the NFL didn't settle a billion dollar concussion lawsuit before that one happened.

This isn't 1954.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
j/c...

Says the guy that killed his wife with a knife and her date.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well when he says something people agree with, suddenly nobody cares about that.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1696396 11/20/19 04:18 PM
Legend
Legend
So if Charles Manson says dogs make great pets, we should all just disagree based on principle?

FATE #1696398 11/20/19 04:26 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think we should all take into consideration the people we decide to put up in the public light as a reference of who we are agreeing with.

I'm sure there are several more examples of people that are speaking out in support of Myles that aren't the scum of the earth.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1696401 11/20/19 04:31 PM
Legend
Legend
Doesn't change the fact that he said it as clearly and succinctly as anyone in the universe so far. Everything always get twisted around here... Not a soul would say that the message is good because it came from OJ, merely that the message was good despite the fact.

PitDAWG #1696404 11/20/19 04:34 PM
Legend
Legend
well, he knows what a deadly weapon really is, so yeah, his word probably cuts a little more through things

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

FATE #1696405 11/20/19 04:34 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'll stand by it. I also wouldn't use Charles Manson in regards to supporting having a dog for a pet. But that's just me.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
well, he knows what a deadly weapon really is, so yeah, his word probably cuts a little more through things

From his experience I would say his wit is as sharp as yours. I know that was a little weak but I was just taking a stab at it.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1696413 11/20/19 04:49 PM
Legend
Legend
I'll stand by it. I also wouldn't use Charles Manson in regards to supporting having a dog for a pet. But that's just me.

that's fine. I wouldn't hold his opinion in too high regard if he was say... giving marital advice. But talking football, the dude was a HoF running back for a long time. His opinion is as valid as anybody elses.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well I will say he was good when it came to the cut and run. wink

There's pre concussion lawsuit settlement and post concussion law suit settlement.

I don't think trying to use anything pre settlement for things that occurred post settlement hold any merit. We both know that changed everything.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Thanks for this. Wondering about the appeal and when we might know something. NFL very lopsided against MG and also blind to Rudolph as he escalated things or kept them going.

These arguments seem to be cogent and valid to me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I said it before on here and I'll say it again. The punishment should fit the crime. Ray rice knocked a woman unconscious and spit on her before dragging her limp body from a elevator. He only was suspended 4 games. He could have killed her. So how can you give Garrett a harsher punishment ?

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
PitDAWG #1696464 11/20/19 06:11 PM
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted By: s003apr
I think Myles knew it was wrong to swing a helmet at someone before the game. Does a suspension really help anyone think about the consequences in the heat of the moment?

The justice system seems to think so. You are suggesting people do not think about consequences in the heat of the moment. Thus my response.

Quote:
Expecting someone to make the split second decision in a scenario that has gotten out of control is not a very effective prevention strategy because at a certain point the part of the brain responsible for emotion regulation and thinking logically shuts down and hands the reins to the part of the brain responsible for fight or flight.

This too seems to be excusing the use of a weapon in response. I simply turned the scenario up a notch.

Quote:
It is important to focus prevention on all of the unwanted behaviors because players are more likely to take consequences into consideration before a fight escalates. Once a boiling point is reached, nobody is going to think logically enough to consider the consequences.

People do think logically enough to consider consequences. It's what everyone with a CCW doesn't shoot people every time there is a conflict.

The justice system definitely takes circumstances and a person's emotional state into mind.

as far as the rest, I am still not seeing how what your saying relates.

Legend
Legend

Expected result.

Just my guess but I think Myles gets 4 or 5 games.

"indefinitely" will not stand.

slick #1696466 11/20/19 06:15 PM
S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted By: slick
I said it before on here and I'll say it again. The punishment should fit the crime. Ray rice knocked a woman unconscious and spit on her before dragging her limp body from a elevator. He only was suspended 4 games. He could have killed her. So how can you give Garrett a harsher punishment ?

Judging from other responses, I think others on here would say that Garrett deserves to be kicked out of the NFL because he used a helmet as a weapon and Ray Rice did not.

In their minds, the fact that Rice was hitting a girl in a comparatively low stress situation in which he wasn't attacked, does not factor into things.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
The idiots saying he should be banned for life are stupid. Sure he should be suspended 2-3 games, missing the Steelers. But the NFL has set precedent on a player swinging a helmet. There is not wiggle room in that! I can bet in the CBA, something harsher will be clearly added for this, meaning a minimum of like 6 games or something.

I can'tbelieve Obi's 1 game was upheld, all he did was push Randolp to the ground.

SunDawg #1696488 11/20/19 07:56 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SunDawg
Geez, are you guys still talking about this crap? The team is a train wreck, can't you see it? Garret deserved everything he got...it was his fault for being STUPID ENOUGH to ROUGH THE PASSER with EIGHT SECONDS left in a game his team had one. OBJ is out talking about how Tomlin DISRESPECTED him by yawning in an interview? WTF! These guys are total prima donna's...give me a team of Chubs, players who let their work on the field do the talking for them. My gosh, I am so SICK of watching OBJ and Landry hold the ball out to signal first down when they make a catch. Damn, the team has a losing record. ACT LIKE YOU'VE DONE IT BEFORE BRO! I can't stand to watch it.

Again I say, THIS FIASCO IS ON DORSEY! He broke up the end of season chemistry by jettisoning the coaching staff, and Zeitler, and replacing them with TWO MAJOR headaches and salary cap problems from the Giants, plus Frederick Kitchens.

BOTTON LINE: This is not a team, but a group of selfish individuals...no way we win out to make the playoffs...no way.

My $0.02.

No flag was thrown for roughing the passer.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
In 1985...I think, Randy White swung a helmet at hit another player in the head. He was suspended 1 game and fined maybe $1000.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Geez, are you guys still talking about this crap? The team is a train wreck, can't you see it? Garret deserved everything he got...it was his fault for being STUPID ENOUGH to ROUGH THE PASSER with EIGHT SECONDS left in a game his team had one. OBJ is out talking about how Tomlin DISRESPECTED him by yawning in an interview? WTF! These guys are total prima donna's...give me a team of Chubs, players who let their work on the field do the talking for them. My gosh, I am so SICK of watching OBJ and Landry hold the ball out to signal first down when they make a catch. Damn, the team has a losing record. ACT LIKE YOU'VE DONE IT BEFORE BRO! I can't stand to watch it.

Again I say, THIS FIASCO IS ON DORSEY! He broke up the end of season chemistry by jettisoning the coaching staff, and Zeitler, and replacing them with TWO MAJOR headaches and salary cap problems from the Giants, plus Frederick Kitchens.

BOTTON LINE: This is not a team, but a group of selfish individuals...no way we win out to make the playoffs...no way.

My $0.02.

Did they have any left to throw?

#GMSTRONG
s003apr #1696497 11/20/19 08:33 PM
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: s003apr
Originally Posted By: slick

Judging from other responses, I think others on here would say that Garrett deserves to be kicked out of the NFL because he used a helmet as a weapon and Ray Rice did not.

In their minds, the fact that Rice was hitting a girl in a comparatively low stress situation in which he wasn't attacked, does not factor into things.

Which is ridiculous. However Goodell seems to play favorites with certain organizations.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Tulsa #1696501 11/20/19 09:12 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

My $0.02.

Did they have any left to throw?

That would have been the first one thrown if it was a foul. All the other fouls happened after the tackle.

Just saying

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Can we all put this issue to rest (the fight/Rudolph started it/Myles finishing it etc.)? This is going in circles...let's just wait until the appeal decision is made, accept it and MOVE ON.

Legend
Legend
Myles Garrett should be nervous.. the fact that Ogunjobi got suspended 1 game for just pushing a guy on the ground, and even with the appeal they still are suspending him!!??.. that doesn't make me feel very confident that the league is going to grant Garrett any leniency based on precedent. Seems like they want to set a new precedent. As a Browns fan, I wouldn't be surprised. Smh. The 'Myles Garrett rule' is coming.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Garrett part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard