Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Myles Garrett should be nervous.. the fact that Ogunjobi got suspended 1 game for just pushing a guy on the ground, and even with the appeal they still are suspending him!!??.. that doesn't make me feel very confident that the league is going to grant Garrett any leniency based on precedent. Seems like they want to set a new precedent. As a Browns fan, I wouldn't be surprised. Smh. The 'Myles Garrett rule' is coming.

Highly agreed...they will prevent this from happening again...thus massive suspension.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Maybe someone can explain this. How can he appeal an indefinite suspension, if the league can't suspend him indefinitely? On this appeal, he wins, now instead of indefinite, they give him a 6 game suspension according to the CBA, giving him games instead of indefinite, can he now appeal the 6 game suspension?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Myles Garrett should be nervous.. the fact that Ogunjobi got suspended 1 game for just pushing a guy on the ground, and even with the appeal they still are suspending him!!??.. that doesn't make me feel very confident that the league is going to grant Garrett any leniency based on precedent. Seems like they want to set a new precedent. As a Browns fan, I wouldn't be surprised. Smh. The 'Myles Garrett rule' is coming.

Highly agreed...they will prevent this from happening again...thus massive suspension.

Agree. I think the absolute best case scenario is he's able to play week one next year. Best case. But I could see 12 to 16 games.

You have a combination of national outrage, a corrupt and inconsistent commissioner, and it's the Browns. The punishment would be different if it were the Patriots or the Steelers.

I do think if it does end up going into next year, Garrett will sue the NFL. He may end up setting some of his own precedent.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Can u imagine if Greg was still the Head coach here.. The Bounty Gate crap would have exploded into epic proportions.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
As another posted said ogbah gets one game for pushing a guy down....ridiculous. so Garrett is done for. AMD just like another poster said, the commissioner plays favorites. Only suspended ray rice 4 games for knocking a woman out cold but will probably suspend Garrett for 12 games.

Last edited by slick; 11/21/19 10:39 AM.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
Steve Wilks:
Garrett's hit on Rudolph was not late.
"The activity after that was inexcusable.
"On both sides, if you ask me."

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan
Can u imagine if Greg was still the Head coach here.. The Bounty Gate crap would have exploded into epic proportions.

Obligatory "But Greg would have exerted the discipline necessary so this wouldn't have happened," reply.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
In 1985...I think, Randy White swung a helmet at hit another player in the head. He was suspended 1 game and fined maybe $1000.

And yet again, this was decades before the billion dollar concussion settlement paid by the NFL. Decades before the NFL felt compelled to go on their "player safety" campaign.

Anyone comparing this incident to anything that occurred before the concussion issue became front and center in the NFL simply can't see the forest for the trees here. This is a different era and time in the NFL.

Now we can debate whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. We can debate whether that's the right way moving forward. But there's certainly no real debate about the fact that it's certainly the way it is.

I think the length of the suspension is going overboard as well. I'm hoping it will be reduced. This was seen on national TV on the field of play. It was a blow to the head to a player without a helmet. If people can't understand how hard the NFL has been pressing the message how they are doing everything to prevent head injuries, I'm not sure how they don't understand the gravity and impact that plays into this.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1696612 11/21/19 12:13 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So is the real issue the act, or that the act was committed in view of millions? John Greco on CBD earlier in the week was talking about how this very kind of thing happens more often than people realize in practice (particularly in preseason and camp). Maybe a precedent needs to be set, I don’t know. But if the league is going to go that route, will they make it mandatory for teams to report incidents like this that happen in practice and then hand down suspensions/fines? And if they aren’t obligated to report it, how can they then claim this is about player safety?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You're asking questions I don't have the answer to. And I'm not actually trying to say it's about player safety. I'm saying it's about the perception of player safety. I'm saying since the NFL is currently paying out up to a billion dollars in a concussion lawsuit settlement, they're going to cover their azzes in such situations.

We see things through the eyes of a fan. We see this as a sport. We see when a similar incident that happened before this lawsuit as the same as something that happens after this lawsuit. From the fan perspective it's much harder to wrap our minds around the fact that when it comes to the area above the neck, EVERYTHING has changed in the NFL since that lawsuit.

Do I think most multi billion dollar corporations actually care about their employees? For the most part, no. So IMO it's debatable. But the image and impression they must present is that they do.

A billion dollars can change a lot of things. And in this case it most certainly did. I'm just surprised it wasn't more expected by the fans.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
G
Rookie
Rookie
G
An interesting counterfactual would be how it would have been handled had the Browns just been one of a dozen or so 1pm games on Sunday last week and not a stand alone Thursday nighter. Obviously more people were watching and it gave sports media and mainstream media two days to talk about it rather than if it had been covered up by all the other Sunday headlines. We'll never know, but it may not have been quite as big a discussion as it is

Kizer rhymes with Kosar.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Honestly, I think it was an outrageous enough situation that it would've floated to the top (in terms of attention) regardless of when the game was slotted. I do wonder if the fervor would have reached the level it did, and if the cooling off going on now in the media would've therefore happened sooner.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: GwarriorScumDawg
An interesting counterfactual would be how it would have been handled had the Browns just been one of a dozen or so 1pm games on Sunday last week and not a stand alone Thursday nighter. Obviously more people were watching and it gave sports media and mainstream media two days to talk about it rather than if it had been covered up by all the other Sunday headlines. We'll never know, but it may not have been quite as big a discussion as it is

Not to mention Aikman and Buck overreacting to what happened...and Aikman saying Rudolph 'got his hand stick in Garrett's helmet'...rather than noting who started it, escalated it and then re-started it.

A Steeler fan friend of mine said that yesterday (hand-stuck-in-helmet)...and actually BELIEVES it.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I thought I saw a headline today where Mason stated he grabbed Garrett's helmet in order to get him off, not to pull on the helmet.

These 9 pages of this thread have had some downright ridiculous explanations of the fight, but that might take the cake.

Edit: Found it
https://fox8.com/2019/11/20/steelers-qb-...-him-off-of-me/

Last edited by oobernoober; 11/21/19 01:39 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

You serious? It was an on-field brawl where, well, you know what happened. That incident would lead Sportscenter, CNN, FOX and every Twitter, IG and Facebook trending list regardless of when the game was played. It's a big controversy 7 days a week.

After seeing Larry's suspension being upheld, which I'm surprised at that ruling, I think that clinches my prediction that Myles is out for part of next year as well. No way they soften up and just give him a hard 6 games. They want him to be out a looooong time AND to grovel his way back into the league, and I don't disagree. Outside of any of the off-field incidents, that was the worst thing we've seen from the NFL (my opinion). The only other incident was OBJ's hit on Norman, which I was quite angry over. OBJ launched himself at Norman's head like a missile with the lone intent of hurting him as much as possible devoid of a football act (again, my opinion). Gronk's hit is up there as well.

Garrett is going to be out a long time.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

Not to mention Aikman and Buck overreacting to what happened...and Aikman saying Rudolph 'got his hand stick in Garrett's helmet'...rather than noting who started it, escalated it and then re-started it.

A Steeler fan friend of mine said that yesterday (hand-stuck-in-helmet)...and actually BELIEVES it.

He had one hand in Garrett's facemask, and the other under the back of his helmet, pulling. It was not accidental on
Red Nose's part.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
There it is.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
There it is.

I would say at this point, it's much easier to believe what Garrett has said. With Rudolph's obvious lies in press conferences, hard to believe anything he says...

Legend
Legend
If true, Rudolph needs to be gone for some time. No place in sports for that.

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1696667 11/21/19 02:35 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Would love love love there to be some audio proof of this. The way Garrett reacted I believe him 100% ... but if it comes down to 'he said she said' his testimony won't change anything.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hearing this directly from Myles certainly makes it credible for me.

#gmstrong
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
It shouldn't be hard for them to see if something was said, they have mics everywhere now.

Legend
Legend
Yep, release the tapes and try to prove it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Batman #1696681 11/21/19 02:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Batman
It shouldn't be hard for them to see if something was said, they have mics everywhere now.

Not a criticism towards you. If they had it, it would have been found by now.

Assuming Mason said 2-3 horrifying words to Myles, even the really bad triggering words you can't say to certain groups, you're still supposed to control yourself. It may add context to why this happened, but it shouldn't lessen Garrett's punishment.

I know a real-world example might be pointless here, but if someone came up to me and my girls and said X, Y and Z...I'm supposed to control myself to ensure me going home with them. Me attacking someone for words puts me jail and takes me away from them. Words from another person shouldn't be able to control me and make me react in ways the police and lawyers get involved. I lose in that situation, even if I win the fight. "But he called me and my wife a _______. I had to break his jaw and give him partial blindness in his left eye." Nope, that doesn't fly.

Escape, deescalate and avoid.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
I said this at the time of the incident, Mason is a alt right racist.

Legend
Legend
Sounds like Thrash already had an inkling

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He denied it? Good enough for me.

/sarcasm.

Seriously, who ever admits to something like that?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
[/quote]I said this at the time of the incident, Mason is a alt right racist.

Assuming he did say THE word and is also a card-carrying member of the KKK, does that change what Myles did? Does it make it right?

Myles wins if he pulls off the helmet and then goes to the press with, "I pulled his helmet off to punch him because he called me a _______ but I couldn't get to him. He started pulling my helmet off, that's when he said it, so I wanted to make a point."

The second he swung the helmet, in my opinion, anything and everything that started it becomes a footnote. He went level 10 crazy and it's indefensible. It doesn't matter what was said or what/who started it. If you go level 10 crazy, you're the bad guy and nobody cares.

[Linked Image]

O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Except for the fact we arent talking about court, we are essentially talking about a workplace. That wouldn't fly in a workplace without you losing your job for saying it and you bet your ass the NFL wouldn't let it fly either.

Legend
Legend
The last thing the NFL would want is that in transcripts and on the record. It lights such a crapstorm.

I firmly believe Myles; his character is of the sort that if he says it, you can believe it. That said, I don't see the NFL allowing this to have such a significant impact because they cannot afford to give the appearance that such a claim allows a player to justify any sort of behavior.

So, at absolute best, I expect Garrett to still be handed a minimum of four games, but more likely the remainder of the 2019 season.
I would not be surprised to see Rudolph with some form of suspension, but I also will not be remotely surprised if he doesn't get anything. Because... NFL.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
I said this at the time of the incident, Mason is a alt right racist.

Assuming he did say THE word and is also a card-carrying member of the KKK, does that change what Myles did? Does it make it right?

Myles wins if he pulls off the helmet and then goes to the press with, "I pulled his helmet off to punch him because he called me a _______ but I couldn't get to him. He started pulling my helmet off, that's when he said it, so I wanted to make a point."

The second he swung the helmet, in my opinion, anything and everything that started it becomes a footnote. He went level 10 crazy and it's indefensible. It doesn't matter what was said or what/who started it. If you go level 10 crazy, you're the bad guy and nobody cares./quote]

IN the eyes of the NFL, yes it may matter.

1. Myles had his helmet ripped at by Mason
2. Myles was kicked in the groin, by Mason
3. Myles was the called a racial slur by Mason
4. Then a racist, who had attacked you once, was running at you again to do what?

Yes, actually it does change the fact. You have a snarling, violent, racist running at you. In my eyes, and the law as written, say it would have been self defense.

Last edited by willitevachange; 11/21/19 03:17 PM.
1st String
1st String
I said from the start something very derogatory was said or done to Myles to get that reaction.Myles was punched in the face by a fan and never retaliated.For him to snap like that was completely out of character for a person with his disposition

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OrlandoDawg
Except for the fact we arent talking about court, we are essentially talking about a workplace. That wouldn't fly in a workplace without you losing your job for saying it and you bet your ass the NFL wouldn't let it fly either.

Sure, Mason would get exposed as a racist, like Riley Cooper (And didn't Riley Cooper get a big extension soon after?). But what would the NFL really do after? Fine him? Suspend him one game? It's a slap on the wrist. He's a backup QB. He's not for long in the NFL anyway.

How does that change Myles actions and punishment? Ultimately, he was called a name, assuming that's true, and overreacted in the biggest way possible. He brought unwanted bad attention to the NFL and they will drop the hammer on him. They're punishing him for the swing. In my mind, it doesn't matter what provoked him. You HAVE to control yourself. If he just pulled the helmet off, if he just punched Mason....this would all be different. He went 42 steps over the line and that's the thing the NFL cares about. One bad word would barely move the needle.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

I do not believe Myles would make this up. Too much at stake to make it up and get caught lying about it.

This could have career implications for Rudolph if found out to be true, particularly in today's climate. There's no pace for that in football and Rudolph isn't nearly good enough to be a distraction to the team.

Riley Cooper was the last player I recall being ousted for using such language.

Legend
Legend

If nothing else, the NFL has multiple dish microphones on the sidelines during a game that would likely be able to catch the language used by Mason Rudolph during the
@browns
vs
@steelers
game

https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/1197599931386777600

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 11/21/19 03:43 PM.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I find it hard to believe that NFL hasn't already reviewed the tapes and was already aware.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Garrett part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard