Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: The Beast
No worries...Ohio State is in regardless. No 2 loss team is getting in.

Unless OSU is blown out tonight. If it’s a 35-7 beatdown, I wouldn’t be too confident.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
That can’t happen. You can’t give up a 45 yarder there.

I’ll predict right now, game is over. 31-14.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wisconsin starting to crumble.
As long as these kids quit being idiots OSU wins.

Legend
Legend
The coaches for tOSU made some good 2nd half adjustments, on both sides of the ball.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
The coaches for tOSU made some good 2nd half adjustments, on both sides of the ball.

Were they adjustments, or was it just a high quality chewing that lit a fire under them?

Getting back Okudah definitely helped. It looks like the biggest difference is that the team going flat and the one playing like its hair is on fire flipped. Silver bullets are flying this half. OL is doing a better job taking the fight to them as well.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I wish the Browns made halftime adjustments like this

Legend
Legend
We ran a couple Fred zone plays there, lol.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg
I wish the Browns made halftime adjustments like this

Honestly, maybe we need to have our strength and conditioning staff get together with coach Mick this off-season.

Wisconsin is wearing down, Ohio State seemingly got stronger after the half.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I saw more zone in the 2nd half. That eliminated the one on one on their backup CB. They also played more players close to the LOS, to stop the Wisky run game.

On offense, it seemed like they played more max protects in the 2nd half, and really got the run game going.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
The only thing that we don't know, is whether it's 1 LSU, or 1 Ohio State

gut feeling:

1 OSU
2 LSU
3 Clemson
4 Oklahoma

If it's LSU at the top spot, you can't really argue that either. Those two teams in terms of resume, wins, etc, are so unbelievably close. It's a coin flip at this point. I think Ohio State coming into the games today as number one probably helps their case.

That was as good of a half as we've seen from Justin Fields. He was magnificent. That was also as bad of a half as we've seen from him as well. Crazy game. The defense by Ohio State in the second half was tremendous too. Man, when they are able to figure you out, it's game over.

Whoever is that 2/3 game, I cannot wait. I can't see Oklahoma doing anything against either OSU or LSU. Just too much. Neither of those teams are Baylor.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1 e in The

DB’s have to cover, man coverage

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
Way to adjust and dominate in the 2nd half! What a season thus far.

I think LSU squeaks by for the 1 seed, but won’t be shocked either way as both teams have an argument.

My guess:

1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Oklahoma

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it will be arranged for the possibility of OSU v Burrow...its a story that will be hyped and bring ratings.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Nice game by the Buckeyes yesterday. Or should I say nice half, and what a magnificent second half that was.

I think the Buckeyes deserve the #1 spot. I don't believe yesterday's results really change a lot when you look at the whole 13 game body of work for each of the teams. For example,

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/tab/efficiency

I also think there's too much of a recency bias, and also the SEC bias mentioned the other day, so my actual prediction is as laid out then:

1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Oklahoma

P
Legend
Legend
P
Take the Bias out OSU is the true #1

1. OSU
2. LSU
3. Clemson
4. Oklahoma

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
S
Legend
Legend
S
God bless those SEC fans who think wins over former-ranked teams in the beginning of the year actually matter when putting together a resume.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I think with LSU trouncing the #4 ranked Bulldogs that LSU will end up ranked #1.

The vote was so close last week that I think the drubbing of Georgia puts LSU over the top.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That’s my thought too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
LSU played a game against an FCS team, and not even a good FCS team (not that it really matters). IMO, when 2 teams are as close as LSU and OSU that should be a real hit against the team that played the FCS game. As far as I'm concerned LSU is 12-0 while OSU is 13-0, therefore OSU is #1.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
just clicking

The committee is not going to make the SEC team LSU have to go through the two best teams in the country-- Ohio State and Clemson. That's literally all you need to know.

LSU would be #1 even if the game vs Georgia was much closer. Obviously I have no way of proving this, but in some alternate universe, that is what is going to happen.

I will be completely shocked and will eat my words if LSU is not #1

Legend
Legend
time for OSU vs Clemson

M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M
Once again the SEC gets rewarded for scheduling an FCS opponent.

Imagine this though. If Ohio State manages to win out, their last 5 games will be...

#10 Penn State
#14 Michigan
#8 Wisconsin
#3 Clemson
#1 (likely) LSU

That would be the toughest run to a championship ever.

P
Legend
Legend
P
$EC Bias Wins Again tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Not surprised they have LSU #1-would like to have faced Oklahoma first, but oh well

Legend
Legend
It’s a better TV matchup. A revenge game.

Plus, if you can’t beat Clemson, you aren’t beating LSU.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: MileHighBrown
LSU played a game against an FCS team, and not even a good FCS team (not that it really matters). IMO, when 2 teams are as close as LSU and OSU that should be a real hit against the team that played the FCS game. As far as I'm concerned LSU is 12-0 while OSU is 13-0, therefore OSU is #1.

Looks like you were wrong.

I don't think the committee actually viewed Fla Atlantic, Cincinnati and Miami of Ohio as very good competition.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

The way I see it is that the voting that had us rated #1 was very close. We beat the #8 rated team by 13 after trailing the entire first half. It was certainly not a gimme.

LSU trounced the #4 rated team with total dominance from the very beginning.

I think the results of the rankings should have been expected and everything else is sour grapes. And yes, I'm a HUGE OSU fan.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree Pit. I told my wife lat night after the game that LSU would move up to #1. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I knew it was coming. Bring on Clemson! We better clean some stuff up with our pass protection or it its going to be a very long evening against their front 7.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree, if we had dominated Wisconsin from the beginning OSU would probably still be ranked #1 but because we didn't take care of business from the get go it was logical that LSU would jump us with the way they played.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
M
Legend
Legend
M
Ohio State opens at +2.5 against Clemson.

Give me Ohio State on the moneyline.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's a surprising opening line, though maybe it shouldn't be. All the analytics and advanced stats that I've seen have Ohio State as the #1 team, but Clemson is a close #2.

However, that is an excellent team, they've won 28 straight and have recent experience deep in the playoffs recently, including the 44-16 drubbing of Alabama in last year's title game.

Meanwhile, the current Ohio State players and coaching staff aren't nearly as experienced in the postseason.

What a game. Realistically, these top 3 teams would all have strong cases to be the top seed, in any year. It's not so great to (likely) have to beat two of them to get to the championship, but you play the teams that are in front of you.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I don't think the committee actually viewed Fla Atlantic, Cincinnati and Miami of Ohio as very good competition.

You mean the Conference USA champions, the team that lost the AAC championship at the very end, and the MAC champion?

Fiercely Independent.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

The way I see it is that the voting that had us rated #1 was very close. We beat the #8 rated team by 13 after trailing the entire first half. It was certainly not a gimme.

LSU trounced the #4 rated team with total dominance from the very beginning.

I think the results of the rankings should have been expected and everything else is sour grapes. And yes, I'm a HUGE OSU fan.

No sour grapes here, I already called exactly what would happen.

There's nothing Ohio State could have done yesterday to hold onto that one seed. a 59-0 style drubbing of Wisconsin wouldn't have done it. It's one thing for that kind of performance to jump over Baylor, but to hold off one of the $EC darlings, nope.

The reality is that Ohio State's 13 game slate has been superb-- the best in years, and there should have been a fairly sizable gap between Ohio State and LSU such that LSU's superior performance this weekend should not have allowed them to jump over.

That's what the eye test says, what all the advanced stats say, everything. Look at the strength of victory-- while admittedly not as good as LSU's-- it was still excellent with wins over current #8 Wisconsin, #8 Wisconsin (again), #10 Penn State, #14 Michigan, and #21 Cincinnati.

All of these were by multiple scores and they outright demolished most teams on the schedule, despite having second and third stringers playing significant chunks of most games.

They play one lousy half of football in a game they still win by 13 (against a team that could easily be a playoff team itself, if it weren't for its two games against Ohio State), and everyone seems to forget how dominant Ohio State has been this year-- and yes, including some of its own fans.

This is not a dig against LSU. They are a great team, had a fantastic season and beat several very good teams. They would have a strong case for the #1 seed in any given year. But this year it should have been Ohio State.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

You mean the Conference USA champions, the team that lost the AAC championship at the very end, and the MAC champion?

Yeah, I cannot fathom how beating the current #21 ranked team (Cincinnati) 41-0, with your best players sitting the second half, can be seen as anything other than an outstanding win.

M
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
M

How was I wrong? I didn't say them playing an FCS opponent WOULD be a ding against them. I said it should be. But since they're an SEC team and have to play all of those other incredible SEC teams, they get a pass.

S
Legend
Legend
S

All the credit in the world to LSU for grabbing number 1, but the SEC was overrated this year, and we can start right with Georgia, who lived off their preseason ranking all year. And no, South Carolina is not a "good team" and Georgia took absolutely no heat for losing at home to them when they were favored by more than 3 touchdowns. If you want SEC bias, you have proof right there.

Next, we'll go with Alabama, who beat nobody in the top 25, that's right, not a one. They're still a good team, but it's mostly name brand. They also lived off their preseason ranking. Alabama's defense this year was pretty bad.

I get that these teams that Ohio State beat early in the year (because they don't schedule cupcakes in the middle of their conference season) aren't great teams, but they are better than the dog crap that some of these SEC teams were scheduling.

You can't hold it against LSU that Texas was laughably overrated this year, because when they scheduled this game, I am sure they, along with the networks, thought this could be a mammoth early season game. It wasn't. And while I said you can't hold it against them, you also don't get credit for beating them when they were a top ten team, now that you have seen the entire body of work, and they dont belong anywhere in the rankings. They are not a good team.

I don't think that kind of garbage came into play when the committee made their choice. I think that they liked how LSU looked in their title game, I think they liked some of their ranked wins.

It will be a very tough road for Ohio State, but if they are able to finish this off, they go down as one of the great college football teams of all time. To finish the year beating Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Clemson, and likely a very very good LSU team would trump anything any other team has put together, especially in this modern era of having an extra game against a high quality team.

I think Clemson is going to be a brutal matchup. They haven't dealt with a QB as good as Lawrence. I don't think Clemson has dealt with a defense like Ohio State, or a running attack like they have with Dobbins and hopefully a healthier Fields. Ohio State cannot afford to have a half like they had against Wisconsin. It was literally their only true bad half all year, and it really wasn't as bad it seemed. They were down two touchdowns, not exactly the end of the world. Against a team like Clemson, that is good night though. The defense absolutely has to show up for 60 minutes.

It's a tough draw, and you can certainly make good arguments that Ohio State should have stuck at 1.

S
Legend
Legend
S

How was I wrong? I didn't say them playing an FCS opponent WOULD be a ding against them. I said it should be. But since they're an SEC team and have to play all of those other incredible SEC teams, they get a pass.

This coming from a guy who said South Carolina was a good team when they beat Georgia.

South Carolina finished the year 4-8.

Legend
Legend
Once again the SEC gets rewarded for scheduling an FCS opponent.

Imagine this though. If Ohio State manages to win out, their last 5 games will be...

#10 Penn State
#14 Michigan
#8 Wisconsin
#3 Clemson
#1 (likely) LSU

That would be the toughest run to a championship ever.

Really don't think they are being rewarded for an FCS game... I mean, they could have scheduled Florida Atlantic or Maryland or some other team they could have beaten by 50... would that make it any better?

There is an argument to be made for LSU and for OSU but I don't think that one FCS game is even worthy of being a part of the discussion.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

All the credit in the world to LSU for grabbing number 1, but the SEC was overrated this year, and we can start right with Georgia, who lived off their preseason ranking all year. And no, South Carolina is not a "good team" and Georgia took absolutely no heat for losing at home to them when they were favored by more than 3 touchdowns. If you want SEC bias, you have proof right there.

Next, we'll go with Alabama, who beat nobody in the top 25, that's right, not a one. They're still a good team, but it's mostly name brand. They also lived off their preseason ranking. Alabama's defense this year was pretty bad.

I get that these teams that Ohio State beat early in the year (because they don't schedule cupcakes in the middle of their conference season) aren't great teams, but they are better than the dog crap that some of these SEC teams were scheduling.

You can't hold it against LSU that Texas was laughably overrated this year, because when they scheduled this game, I am sure they, along with the networks, thought this could be a mammoth early season game. It wasn't. And while I said you can't hold it against them, you also don't get credit for beating them when they were a top ten team, now that you have seen the entire body of work, and they dont belong anywhere in the rankings. They are not a good team.

I don't think that kind of garbage came into play when the committee made their choice. I think that they liked how LSU looked in their title game, I think they liked some of their ranked wins.

It will be a very tough road for Ohio State, but if they are able to finish this off, they go down as one of the great college football teams of all time. To finish the year beating Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Clemson, and likely a very very good LSU team would trump anything any other team has put together, especially in this modern era of having an extra game against a high quality team.

I think Clemson is going to be a brutal matchup. They haven't dealt with a QB as good as Lawrence. I don't think Clemson has dealt with a defense like Ohio State, or a running attack like they have with Dobbins and hopefully a healthier Fields. Ohio State cannot afford to have a half like they had against Wisconsin. It was literally their only true bad half all year, and it really wasn't as bad it seemed. They were down two touchdowns, not exactly the end of the world. Against a team like Clemson, that is good night though. The defense absolutely has to show up for 60 minutes.

It's a tough draw, and you can certainly make good arguments that Ohio State should have stuck at 1.

The SEC was not over rated this season as you stated. They git rated because of the non conference schedule and wins vs P5 teams.

Auburn ended up winning the biggest non conference game of the season beating Oregon the Pac 12 Champion. They also have quite a few more wins vs the P5. Although, many of those wins came against P5 teams that struggled this season.

Alabama beat Duke (ACC)
Auburn beat Oregon (PAC 12)
LSU beat Texas (Big 12)
Missouri beat West Virginia (Big 12)
Georgia beat Notre Dame (I) and Georgia Tech (ACC)
Florida beat Miami (ACC) and Florida State (ACC)
Kentucky beat Louisville (ACC)

They did lose to some P5 teams but the games were played.

Clemson beat Texas A&M and South Carolina
North Carolina beat South Carolina
California beat Ole Miss
Kansas State beat Miss State
Purdue beat Vanderbilt

Now compare that to the BIG Ten's Non Conference wins vs P5

Michigan beat Notre Dame (I)
Maryland beat Syracuse (ACC)
Iowa beat Iowa State (Big 12)
Penn State beat Pittsburgh (ACC)

And the Big Ten P5 loses

Boston College beat Rutgers
TCU beat Purdue
Arizona State beat Michigan State
Colorado beat Nebraska
Stanford beat Northwestern

I am not saying that LSU is better than Ohio State. I do not know. The top 3 teams are very very good and each has a good case to be #1. I just think that saying an entire conference is over rated is very short sited. The SEC rankings does not come from pre season over rankings or some SEC bias. They earn it on the field with non conference wins each year.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Thee Ohio State Football Thread (cont.)

Link Copied to Clipboard