Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Swish Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
OBJ clearly has looked off, even though he’s been getting consistently open. I like Bake sticking up for his teammate. There are times to air grievances in private, like most of the time actually. But in some cases, it needs to be stated publicly. And these comments come off better after a win rather than a loss.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2825...y-handled-right

CLEVELAND -- After Cleveland's 27-19 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, quarterback Baker Mayfield criticized the way the Browns have handled Odell Beckham Jr.'s injury.

"I'd say that it wasn't handled right," Mayfield said. "He's not able to run as well as he ... should be able to, as well as he knows. And that's frustrating for him. You can sense some of his frustration, where that comes from. It wasn't handled the right way, in our training room. It is what it is. His not 100% is still good enough for us."

Mayfield's comments came on the heels of reports that Beckham is weighing offseason surgery to correct an injury he has been dealing with since training camp. After Sunday's game, Beckham replied, "I don't know. We'll figure it out after the season," when asked whether the injury will require surgery. Beckham also said he's unsure what his injury actually is, although NFL Network reported Sunday morning that Beckham had a sports hernia injury.

"I don't really know," he said. "You have to ask the doctors if you have a chance to interview them. I really don't know what to tell you."

Whatever the injury, Mayfield suggested that had Beckham undergone surgery during the preseason, he -- and the Browns -- would've been better off than they are now, as Beckham has had to play through pain all year for a team that is 6-7 with just a slim shot of still making the playoffs.

"I think it could've been addressed earlier on," Mayfield said. "Looking back on it, obviously, hindsight is 20/20, he probably would've missed the first two [games]. One or two. Just based on the fact that it was during training camp. It is what it is. We're here right now. It's too late to do that. He's fighting through pain; he's playing through pain. That shows you the type of guy he is."

After speaking to reporters, Mayfield posted tweets offering an apology for his comments, and clarified that his intentions "were not to throw our medical staff under the bus."

"No I don't know all the facts about Odell's injury," he added. "It was emotionally answered because I can sense his frustration and I care about my team and putting us in the best position to win.

"Those people within our building know my intentions and where I am coming from. I truly believe that and I apologize to those that don't deserve the backlash.... today was a good team win. On to the next one."

The 27-year-old Beckham has been on the injury report throughout this season for what has been termed hip and groin injuries and has regularly been a limited practice participant since early on during training camp, sitting out all four of Cleveland's preseason games. In his first year with the Browns, Beckham is also having the worst statistical season of his career, excluding his injury-riddled 2017 one with the New York Giants.

On Sunday against the Bengals, Beckham was quiet again, finishing with only two catches for 39 yards, his seventh consecutive game without topping 100 receiving yards, the longest such streak of his career.

"I really don't run until Friday," said Beckham, referring to his practice week. "I come out here and do what I can. At this point, it is what it is. There is nothing you can really do but finish out the season."

Beckham's health wasn't the only thing looming over the team Sunday.

On Thursday, Beckham was vague about his future in Cleveland past this season, telling reporters, "no one knows what the future holds, like tomorrow." He followed up with a tweet Friday indicating he was not saying that he was unhappy in Cleveland but was just hoping for better results.

But Sunday morning, FOX Sports reported during its NFL pregame show that Beckham has been telling opposing players and coaches before games, "come get me" out of Cleveland.

When asked about the report, Beckham tersely said, "I'm not gonna talk about any offseason stuff that's going on right now. The focus is to win -- 1-0. And that's what we did today. So, any other questions about it, I'm not gonna answer."

When then asked if it troubles him that stories about his future are already coming out in this way, Beckham replied that he's "used to it" and that "he's been dealing with it for three or four years" dating back to his time with the Giants.

"It's just the same thing that's going on," he said. "Not anything that I can't handle."

Coach Freddie Kitchens declined to comment on the report Beckham wants out of Cleveland.

Mayfield added that he hasn't gotten the sense Beckham is looking for a way out, and that he continues to have a "good relationship" with the All-Pro.

"The drama is just drama," Mayfield said. "It continues to be that on the outside. Within our walls, we know exactly what we have. ... So I'm not worried about that."

And I’ll give OBJ this even though he might not like it here.....he’s been a modeled citizen since being here, no drama pretty much. A season like this, I thought for sure he was gonna be punching kicking nets again.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
OBJ hasnt been a distraction, this is true.

People complaining about Baker : molehills.

People dig really hard for drama, where there isnt any.

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quickly walked back by Baker. I'm sure Peter John-Baptiste said something about criticizing the medical staff and the liability that could ensue...

Legend
Legend
Like most of us have said all season, too much talk and not enough emphasis on business at hand. It’s a tough team to like even though we all love them

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Baker just might have pulled this team together to make a good run in our last 3 games. If he lost some respect to fans he gained it mostly with his teammates!
JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Quickly walked back by Baker. I'm sure Peter John-Baptiste said something about criticizing the medical staff and the liability that could ensue...

Typical baker.

If you don't know the facts, please keep your mouth shut.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Baker Mayfield, a connoisseur of fine shoe leather.

Open mouth, insert foot.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't think he's throwing anyone under the bus. I took it as in hindsight. Had we been 9-4 or something at this point it might have been worth skipping the surgery. But we are 6-7 on the verge of being on our couches for January and he's saying maybe we should have done things differently.

He's definitely winning over his teammates and the front office isn't going to jettison our best QB prospect in years.

Nothing really to see here, move along.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Sometimes "no comment" is a perfectly good answer.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Sometimes "no comment" is a perfectly good answer.
yep, or paraphrase something similar: “I’m not really sure, but we’re focused on getting better”

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Legend
Legend
F
/jc

Then we shouldn't do interviews, because everything would be "No Comment".

Everyone knows the media asks questions not because they want to know the answers, but because they hope it opens a door to controversy.

I can't even count the number a times that I say something, then have to clarify my intention because someone else interpreted it differently than I intended, or my choice of words were not as concise as they should have been. But in today's world they call it back-tracking, when in truth it is clarifying your position or intent.

Last edited by FloridaFan; 12/09/19 10:49 AM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Just having a mike in your face doesn't mean you should talk about anything and everything.

It is OK to show some judgment. We certainly are larding OBJ with attention over this so we can play around with stay or go. Too much drama.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw him get run down in the open field by a white linebacker I've never heard of. He is 100% injured.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Just having a mike in your face doesn't mean you should talk about anything and everything.

It is OK to show some judgment. We certainly are larding OBJ with attention over this so we can play around with stay or go. Too much drama.

Happy Bday!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Legend
Legend
D
To questions about Duke Johnson's contract, Myles Garrett's lapse of judgement, and the training staff's treatment of whatever's wrong with Odell Beckham - anything that should remain in-house - Baker should stay in his lane, zip it up, and remain noncommittal. "No comment" or "I didn't see what happened" or "I don't know" should have been his response to inquiries about any of those situations.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's odd how OBJ had enough sense to answer the question in a way not to create controversy in regards to his own injury but Baker didn't. Then the answer is to blame it on the media and say maybe we shouldn't answer questions from the press.

The problem isn't the questions. It's the answers.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

E
Legend
Legend
E
I feel like the media tries to create drama where their isnt much.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think Baker was regurgitating feedback from convos with OBJ on his injury. Odd thing is not once do I see OBJ grabbing the Abdomem during the game regarding his Sports Hernia???

anyways Baker knows he shouldn't have said it and quickly tried to do control damage but the media ran away with it...lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's not the medias fault he said it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 27 Bengals 19 Baker Mayfield says Odell Beckham Jr.'s injury 'wasn't handled right'

Link Copied to Clipboard