HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Rishuz #1698833 11/26/19 10:41 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Are you giving me 10-1?
If you think Myles is not playing another down in the NFL, ill give you my house.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Are you giving me 10-1?
If you think Myles is not playing another down in the NFL, ill give you my house.

Be careful with semantics on this one...

I might say I think Myles is not going to play another down in the NFL just to receive a house. cool

O
Legend
Legend
O
You should be careful, he just moved and could be upside down on that house and looking for a sucker. wink

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
You should be careful, he just moved and could be upside down on that house and looking for a sucker. wink
OH I AM!

R
Legend
Legend
R
I might take that bet just based on pure value alone.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
I thought it was A very bold move on Mrs. Haslam’s part to wear the cap with “95” on it at the game. Myles doesn’t have to worry about ownership having his back.

Issued an apology to every living creature in existence,then wore a hat.Mixed message.

I don't actually see it sending mixed messages at all. I can see how some might take it that way. But think about it for a moment.

Do you feel Myles hitting an unprotected player with a helmet was right? I certainly don't. There is no excuse for that type of behavior. I mean people may try to excuse by saying things like, "Rudolph started it", or "Rudolph used a racial slur". But neither of those two things excuse the lengths Myles went to.

So is an apology for his actions appropriate? In my mind, yes, it is.

But how many of us who feel that way, also feel the indefinite suspension is going too far? Once again I would be included in that group. Those two positions are not mutually exclusive.

I don't believe Myles is an inherently dirty player. I believe he just lost it for a minute and made one huge mistake. But man it was a big one. The Haslam's were right in issuing an apology for that. There's simply no place in football for such behavior.

But that doesn't mean you refuse to support him. That doesn't mean you can't feel the suspension was unfair. Often times in our life, most of us know people close to us that make mistakes. Sometimes huge mistakes. That doesn't mean we should ignore their mistakes. It doesn't mean we should dismiss their mistakes.

That also doesn't mean we should not be there to support them into setting things right and doing better moving forward.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Good post Pit!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1st String
1st String
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/myles-garrett-racial-slur-allegation-known-browns-report

Myles Garrett made racial slur allegation known to Browns, hoped it would stay under wraps: report

Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett made the accusation that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph used a racial slur prior to their brawl at his appeals hearing last week.

Garrett’s indefinite suspension for hitting Rudolph in the head with his own helmet was upheld but he was quickly questioned about the timing of the allegation.

FOX Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer attempted Sunday to clarify why Garrett made the accusation at the hearing instead of going public with it after their Week 11 game when he was talking to the media.

Glazer reported that Garrett told Browns personnel that Rudolph had allegedly used a racial slur against him but ultimately he thought the allegation would have been confidential at the appeals hearing.

“I got the sense that he wasn’t going to, that he didn’t want it out publicly because it would be bad for the league,” Glazer said during FOX’s NFL pregame show. “He just thought it was going to be confidential inside that appeals process.”

Garrett chose not to comment after the game after he was asked whether there was anything that was said to set him off. After the NFL upheld his suspension, Garrett said he knew what he heard.

“I was assured that the hearing was space that afforded the opportunity to speak openly and honestly about the incident that led to my suspension,” Garrett said. “This was not meant for public dissemination, or was it a convenient attempt to justify my actions or restore my image in the eyes of those I disappointed. I know what I heard. Whether my opponent’s comment was born out of frustration or ignorance, I cannot say. But his actions do not excuse my lack of restraint in the moment, and I truly regret the impact this has had on the league, the Browns and our devoted fans.”

The NFL reportedly hopes Garrett will return for Week 1 next season.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

The NFL reportedly hopes Garrett will return for Week 1 next season.
Weird, isn't it the NFL that's keeping him on suspension? lol

Legend
Legend
Nice to see Myles with his teammates. I hope the NFL sees the goodness in this vs. calling it a violation of his suspension terms.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/11/s...nd-1130-am.html

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1699142 11/27/19 08:24 AM
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Nice to see Myles with his teammates. I hope the NFL sees the goodness in this vs. calling it a violation of his suspension terms.

As it does not appear to be a "Cleveland Browns" sponsored event. Rather it seems to be an event attended by some Cleveland Browns and other celebrities...I am not so sure the NFL could have a say in it.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
Joe ‘Turkey’ Jones understands the Browns-Steelers rivalry, and how he’s connected to Myles Garrett

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11...es-garrett.html

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio – When you’re Joe “Turkey” Jones, you don’t need to keep track of when the Browns and Steelers play. You just wait for your phone to start ringing.

Friends. Family. Former teammates. They’ll call. They always call.

“Always,” Jones said with a laugh. “It’s the play. Oh yeah.”

Jones retired from football four decades ago, then spent 30 years at American Airlines, and now, at age 71, enjoys his life as a grandfather in Florida. Through it all, the play has lived on as a symbol of the Browns-Steelers rivalry.

We’re talking, of course, about the fourth-quarter play in Week 5 of the 1976 season. Jones, a 6-foot-6, 250-pound Browns defensive end, corralled Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw with a bear hug, then picked him off the ground and sent him head-first into the turf at Municipal Stadium.

If you missed it back then, you’ve surely seen it since. It’s hard to escape when the broadcast of a Browns-Steelers game wants to lean into the rivalry angle. FOX showed it before the Browns and Steelers met in Cleveland two weeks ago.

And before that game was over, we had bookends of sorts for conflict between a Browns defensive end and the head of a Steelers quarterback. At one end, Turkey Jones and Terry Bradshaw. At the other end, Myles Garrett and Mason Rudolph.

The connection between 2019 and 1976 was easy to make.

“I understand how, with the rivalry, how it would all feed back to me,” Jones said. “That particular rivalry has been, and always will be, intense.”

Garrett figures to have a more accomplished career than Jones, a second-round draft pick out of Tennessee State who played seven seasons with the Browns between 1970 and 1980, an era before sacks were an official stat. Garrett, the No. 1 overall pick in 2017, already has a Pro Bowl under his belt and owns the second and fifth spots among the Browns’ single-season sack leaders.

But Garrett also owns a moment that is overshadowing the positives of his career. Jones knows a thing or two about that, not to mention what it’s like to be vilified in Pittsburgh.

There were mixed reactions from players when Jones and Bradshaw “got twisted up,” as Jones often describes it. The play resulted in a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty on Jones, who was later fined $3,000. (The Browns held on to win the game behind third-string quarterback Dave Mays.)

Plain Dealer reporter Chuck Heaton, in his front-page story the next day, described the penalty on the play as “a questionable call.” In the book “Legends by the Lake,” Jerry Sherk noted that “Joe didn’t have a malicious bone in his body. He never cheap-shotted anybody. It was more that Joe did not know his own strength.”

Talking to reporters after the game, Steelers center Mike Webster didn’t have a problem with it. “I saw Turkey drop him on his head,” Webster said. “Turkey made a helluva play. I can’t fault the guy.”

Steelers running back Franco Harris, meanwhile, said it was “uncalled for.” Steelers linebacker Jack Lambert had the strongest words for Jones: “I hope somebody breaks his neck,” he said.

Bradshaw was carted off the field after the play. Jones went to see him after the game, but was confronted by Bradshaw’s wife.

“She had some choice words for me,” Jones recalled. “And she had these two big goons with her. But I spoke to Bradshaw when he was on the table. He said, ‘Hey man, I understand. It’s part of the game.’”

Bradshaw suffered a spinal contusion on the play. He has said he had no feeling in his body for two days after the hit. He was back playing with the Steelers three weeks later.

Just like he did after the game, Jones says today that he had no malice toward Bradshaw.

“Playing professional football is an honor,” Jones said. “There’s a line that you don’t cross as far as trying to hurt anybody. In professional football that’s a no-no. You don’t go out there trying to intentionally hurt anybody. The emotions are high and you just do your job.”

Jones has no doubt he would’ve faced a suspension for such a play in today’s NFL. “In a heartbeat,” he said. Rules aren’t the only things that have changed since 1976. Instantly available highlights and social media outrage, two things that helped Garrett’s incident becoming national news, weren’t yet part of life.

But there was still a backlash. Jones got plenty of strongly-worded hate mail.

“I have a few letters left that I haven’t shared with the public, and I never will,” he said with a chuckle.

When the Browns traveled to Pittsburgh in 1977, more than a year after the incident, Jones didn’t stay in the same hotel with the rest of the Browns.

“It wasn’t something I thought about, like, ‘Gosh, here we go, we’re going to Pittsburgh. I’ve got to have security guards and all that stuff,’” Jones said. “I didn’t ask any questions, I just followed what they told me to do. They put me up in a separate hotel with a bodyguard and security people. I understood, but I wasn’t mature enough to really, really understand (the gravity of it).”

Jones didn’t get the sense any of the Steelers were looking for payback against him. Looking back now, he thinks media and fan reaction was louder than that of the players.

How Steelers players react in Garrett’s next game against Pittsburgh will be a major storyline in 2020. Garrett has accused Rudolph of using a racial slur during the melee, which also included Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey throwing punches and kicking at Garrett.

Based on people he has talked with, Jones believes Garrett “is a great kid, but this is a learning situation for him. You take your punishment, then get on back to business.”

The helmet swing, though, is sure to join the Browns-Steelers rivalry video montage. The key for Garrett is to make sure it’s not his legacy.

One play in 1976 has remained Jones’ football legacy. And it seems like he has come to terms with that. He is often asked to sign photos of the play during autograph events. And, more than once, he’s been asked to sign the photo so a Cleveland fan can send it to a relative in Pittsburgh. “Just to mess with their relatives,” Jones said.

“It’s part of the legacy. Wherever I go it’s been great. I’m happy to sign the autographs and the picture of that particular play,” Jones said. “It’s something that a lot of people identify me with.

Jones said he has golfed in Super Bowl events with Harris. He crossed paths with Lambert at a football game after both were retired and got a playful shoulder bump from the former linebacker. Jones has also played golf with Bradshaw’s brother, Craig, who has talked of getting Jones together with Terry for an autograph session. It hasn’t happened yet.

In fact, Jones said he hasn’t talked with Bradshaw since he retired.

Jones said he and his wife were flown out to California years ago so Jones could participate in a Jimmy Kimmel skit. At the time, Kimmel made NFL predictions each week for FOX’s NFL pregame show, which features Bradshaw. Jones’ skit also included William “The Refrigerator” Perry, and was slated to appear on Thanksgiving.

Jones didn’t see Bradshaw at the shoot, but said he made an effort to get word to him.

“Just to say, ‘Hey, let’s get together.’ Just to sit and talk with him, and maybe have a barbecue and everything,” said Jones. “I’m still waiting."

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
PitDAWG #1699158 11/27/19 09:50 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Do you feel Myles hitting an unprotected player with a helmet was right? I certainly don't. There is no excuse for that type of behavior. I mean people may try to excuse by saying things like, "Rudolph started it", or "Rudolph used a racial slur". But neither of those two things excuse the lengths Myles went to.

All fair comments...but...'the lengths Myles went to' is the deal-breaker for me...or maybe better worded as the mind-changer. That reads as if he went after Rudolph with helmet-swinging in mind...when the polar opposite appears to be more the case.

Rudolph started it...ok Myles...be the bigger man.

Rudolph kicked him in the groin...twice...ok Myles...be the bigger man.

DeCastro has Myles wrapped up...they are both engaged - not fighting as Myles is being the bigger man - AND retreating away from Rudolph.

THEN...Rudolph charges after Garrett...apparently inspects his package with his hand/fist rather than his foot...calls him a racial slur...and Myles lets him have it. Sorry...but Rudolph got exactly what he deserved and was asking-for.

This incident is reported-upon and commented-upon without the context that it deserves. The fight was O-V-E-R...and Rudolph made the choice to start it up again...charging at a guy who was R-E-T-R-E-A-T-I-N-G with a Steeler OL holding him just like they do play-after-play.

It's mind-bogging to me that Garrett is being portrayed as he is and Rudolph is viewed as some poor, poor victim.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Ultimately Garrett gets the final laugh. In 10-12 years he could be looking at posing for his bust in Canton. Rudolph will have been selling cars for a decade.

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I wonder just how hard MG was laughing last Sunday....or how hard he’ll be laughing for at least the next 5 sundays .... i bet he couldn’t contain his laughter and hes having a ball .... thumbsup

R
Legend
Legend
R
Especially if the Browns lose a game where a pass rush would have been nice.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Diam, yes, Garrett is likely not laughing right now. That’s why my post stated ‘ultimately’, as in ‘when it’s all said and done career wise’.
In the short term, it sucks. No going back now. In 10-12 years this season will (hopefully) only be a small fraction of a much larger, more incredible, career story. And Rudolph will be getting a bonus for finally selling that lemon that’s been sitting on the lot to some unsuspecting fool.

As to us not having Garrett currently and having it hurt our team... sucks, but we’re not ready for the playoffs anyway. Next season he’ll be back. The team will have grown together. Hopefully our Oline will have been shored up.... hopefully we start out the season better and we’ll be off to the Isle once more.

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Diam, yes, Garrett is likely not laughing right now. That’s why my post stated ‘ultimately’, as in ‘when it’s all said and done career wise’.
In the short term, it sucks. No going back now. In 10-12 years this season will (hopefully) only be a small fraction of a much larger, more incredible, career story. And Rudolph will be getting a bonus for finally selling that lemon that’s been sitting on the lot to some unsuspecting fool.

As to us not having Garrett currently and having it hurt our team... sucks, but we’re not ready for the playoffs anyway. Next season he’ll be back. The team will have grown together. Hopefully our Oline will have been shored up.... hopefully we start out the season better and we’ll be off to the Isle once more.

I have a car salesman client who regularly makes $150-$190k. Just sayin'.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So you do think Myles using his helmet as a weapon is justified?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
but we’re not ready for the playoffs anyway.

I don't understand this line of thinking. You don't know what the future holds. And it's all relative to other teams in the league. You take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves in real time. The Browns, believe it or not, control their own destiny. Win out and you're in. Take advantage of the opportunity in front of you.

Baker could have a tremendous off season next year and get hurt in game 1 for the season. They're ready now. Now go and do it.

PitDAWG #1699244 11/27/19 01:49 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So you do think Myles using his helmet as a weapon is justified?

He was being attacked and was walking away...do I think he was justified in defending himself from being attacked...yes...yes I do. Still, I think he should be suspended for using his helmet to DEFEND himself. It's the context that is BS.

Do you think a person who is retreating and gets attacked has the right to defend himself?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

I have a car salesman client who regularly makes $150-$190k. Just sayin'.

Sure, but it isn’t that second and third contract money. The ones with the extra zeros at the end.

I only used the car salesman reference as it’s a trope. Not as an insult to car salesmen. Besides, Rudolph will likely be selling women’s shoes and telling stories of his glory days ala Al Bundy.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Do you think a person who is retreating and gets attacked has the right to defend himself?

I do. I've just never been one to make excuses for my own behavior when and if I've gone too far. It sounds as if we feel pretty much the same way.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1699265 11/27/19 02:23 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I do. I've just never been one to make excuses for my own behavior when and if I've gone too far. It sounds as if we feel pretty much the same way.

I agree. My biggest beef are these:

The context of the event is largely being ignored in the media;

Rudolph gets no suspension...none. And Pouncey's gets reduced. while Garrett's is "indefinite".

It's BS.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you on all points.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He's going to be a fry cook at McDonald's.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
jfanent #1699293 11/27/19 04:11 PM
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: jfanent

I've never seen anyone use tongs like Myles is here. What a monster!...

Side note, PumpkinHead needs to go.

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Gotta start off washing lettuce before being promoted to fry cook.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I once cooked chicken wings with Hanford Dixon at the BW3’s in Boardman, OH when I went to YSU back in the 90’s

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just occurred to me the NFL should ask Decastro if he heard anything he would have had to.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
I agree, WSU Willie. This is punishment for the Browns, not discipline focused upon and limited to MG. The NFL has chosen to disrupt our ability to make informed and need-based decisions about current roster, PS as well, FA, and draft next year. These are overreaching "just" MG with the stoopid :indefinite' limiter. The NFL should recognize the lister needs of every club to compensate for penalties. And those should be defined. We do not levy "indefinite" fines for a reason. Fair says spell it out. And I support the ability of the NFL to discipline the league fairly. MG is not the only problem here by a far cry IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Creative, I like it. Probably illegal, though.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rudolph would say..He's only trying to put my helmet on...no game suspensions necessary Mr Gonads..I mean Rodger

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Creative, I like it. Probably illegal, though.

I wouldn’t pull him over for it.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Suspended star Myles Garrett has access to Browns headquarters restored

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/201...arters-restored

BEREA — Myles Garrett is back in the building.

The NFL recently permitted Garrett to return to Browns headquarters during his indefinite suspension, and three of the star defensive end’s teammates told the Beacon Journal they’re thrilled to be reunited with him.

“In a time like this, you want to be around your brothers and you want to be around your teammates. This is like a family. So the more we can see him, the better,” cornerback TJ Carrie said Friday after the Browns (6-8) practiced for Sunday’s home finale against the AFC North champion Baltimore Ravens (12-2).

“I think the hardest thing is for players to be isolated in these situations because I think it gives them more time to think about the situations they’re in, which can lead to a downward spiral. So, man, I want to see him as much as possible.”

The NFL, which did not immediately respond to the Beacon Journal’s request for comment about Garrett’s return to the team’s training complex, suspended Garrett for at least the final six games of the 2019 season because he bashed Mason Rudolph over the head with the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback’s helmet as they fought late in the Browns’ 21-7 home win on Nov. 14.

The league doled out the suspension on Nov. 15 and announced appeals officer James Thrash upheld the discipline on Nov. 21. In the appeal hearing, Garrett accused Rudolph of calling him a racial slur before their brawl, an allegation Rudolph denied.

Garrett had been barred from the team’s training facility when the NFL suspended him, but a league source told the Beacon Journal that Garrett had his access restored within the last couple of weeks.

Garrett is prohibited from practicing or attending team meetings, but the source said he’s allowed to work individually with the club’s medical and training staffs.

With everything Garrett has gone through, he’s been a welcome sight in the locker room.

“He seems in high spirits, man,” Carrie said. “But at the end of the day, when he goes home, no one really is going to know the full effect.

“The year he was having was MVP-type caliber [season]. He’s still up there in sacks. He hasn’t played in games. I think this year would’ve been a huge year for him. I know that’s probably something that he thinks about pretty often.”

Free safety Damarious Randall said he talked to Garrett on Thursday.

“He actually told me that he works out five times a day,” Randall said. “I was just messing around with him, and I was just like, ‘Hey, if they said you could come back and play this Sunday, would you be ready?’ He was like, ‘Bro, I would be more than ready.’”

Garrett will be required to meet with the office of Commissioner Roger Goodell prior to a decision being made on his reinstatement. A Browns source told the Beacon Journal on Nov. 24 the franchise expects Garrett to be reinstated by the start of the 2020 season.

The NFL allowed running back Kareem Hunt to work out and receive treatment at Browns headquarters weeks before his eight-game suspension for violating the personal-conduct policy ended in November.

Now with assistance from the Browns, Garrett has a chance to pave the way for his eventual return.

“Just knowing the guy, I’d imagine obviously with the events that happened, probably getting away for a little while is a good thing just to clear your head and get out, hopefully stay away from all the media stuff, stay away from Twitter and all that jazz,” linebacker Joe Schobert said. “Then it’s been a couple weeks, and now you get back in and you’re with the guys who are really your family.

“He’ll be reinstated. You know what kind of guy Myles is. He’ll be ingratiating himself right back into the team, and it’ll be good for his psyche, and he’ll be ready to roll next year.”

The Browns have gone 2-2 since they lost Garrett for the season. The defense has been a shell of itself with a much less reliable pass rush.

“That loss definitely hurt us — to take away a top-10 player in the league like that. I feel he’s one of those guys,” Randall said with a big sigh. “It was just one of those unfortunate events.”

The first overall draft pick in 2017, Garrett ranked fourth in the NFL with 10 sacks in 10 games when his third Browns season ended. He was voted to the Pro Bowl last season, when he had 13.5 sacks.

The Browns have 37 sacks this season — 30 in 10 games with Garrett and seven in the four games since he was suspended.

“He’s a guy that you can’t replace,” Carrie said. “He’s a guy that offenses are always going to account one to two guys for, and that just frees up everyone else that’s on that front line.”

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
That is a good sign. I think his status will be cleared shorty after the playoffs.

I can't imagine a suspension lasting in to next season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
They're already starting to chill out now that people are moving on.

Good sign

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Garrett Part 3

Link Copied to Clipboard