Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
If Brady and Belli think he is all that and a bag of chips, that is good enough for me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Squires
I don't see why anyone would want McDaniels after he bailed on the Colts. I don't trust him.

Belichick did that to the Jets.

B
Legend
Legend
B
How about thinking out of the box? Just clicking by the way.

Two college coaches that interest me...Gus Malhzon at Auburn and James Franklin at PSU.

Gus is a run game genius. With our backs, it could be special.

James turned doormat Vandy in to a respected squad in the SEC and he has built PSU from the dead.

I know we won't hire them after Freddie, but both are terrific football coaches.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Jc.

How would we get Stephanski (sp?) As an OC...when he is already an OC with the Vikings? I thought we must promote any OC or DC to HC if we grabbing them from another team.

Also just my 2 cents...I know a lot of folks in the media are saying Cleveland is a dream spot for a coach to land at...given our talent on the roster. I am however worried about the trend of lack of job security while coaching in Cleveland.

I just hope we get someone whom can turn things around here.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
Something tells me McDaniels is coming in here and is going to bust this thing up
. If McDaniels wants it you know the Haslams will be all giddy.

I think the player personnel currently here is why he's seemingly driving for the job. He sees something that piques his interest in Cleveland.

The Patriots wanted Baker:

Quote:
At least according to Mayfield's agent, Jack Mills.

"We knew the Jets at No. 3 was the bottom line," Mills said during an appearance on former NFL executive Andrew Brandt's podcast. "We had another team -- which is going to surprise you -- another team had said, 'You may get a big surprise on draft day at No. 2 if [Mayfield] is available.' It was the Patriots. They had (No.) 23 and they had (No.) 31, and they had two seconds, and I don't know. We thought, boy, that's going to be a heck of a move to get up that high from where they are. And of course, he wasn't available so we never knew if that was a reality or not."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker...adnt-taken-him/

I don't believe the Patriots ever wanted Mayfield. Mayfield isn't the kinda guy the Patriots go after in the draft. He was on video getting arrested, running from the cops, grabbing his crotch and then disrespecting OSU with the flag plant? Bellichik don't like people that disrespect the game, and Mayfield disrespected the game of football the day he done that.

that is NOT the type of player Bill Bellichik would waste his time on trying to covert to the Patriot way. You kidding me? Bellichik would have ROASTED Mayfield for some of his comments he made is press conferences, Bellichik would have flat out cut him for the comments he made about the medical staff, that stuff just doesn't fly there.

Personally, I think McDaniels is intrigued by Mayfield because he sees a lot of potential, but its just that potential. I think a marriage of McDaniels and Mayfield is one that won't end well.

Folks don't understand, in the NE under McDaniels(Hoodie Jr.)You run the plays as designed. That means if its a 3 step drop, you take 3 steps and you throw the ball, if no one is open, you throw it away. You don't do like Baker does which is hotdogging, and trying to scrable, etc....McDaniels will snap on him on the sidelines on live TV

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea of having McDaniels, he is an abrasive personality...he is the guy that will tell Mayfield and his wife to STFU on social media, he is the guy that will force structure here in this organization and will have ZERO issues showing people who don't want to buy in the door.

Landry and OBJ will buy in no problem, Those guys need a strong authority figure as a head coach to buy in, but Mayfield takes arrogance to the extreme, just like his comments about not working with a QB coach this offseason because he knows all he needs to know...McDaniels will sour on him quickly if he doesn't change his ways and tow the line ....if next season is any like last season, McDaniels will bench him by game 3, he won't put up with it.

Mayfield will be in for a rude awakening to the abrasive school of the Bellichik way if we hire McDaniels and I personally can't wait. For the 1str time in his life, he will have a coach that as Tom Brady said Bellichik has said to him over the years numerous times "Shut the **** up"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gus Malhzon at Auburn and James Franklin at PSU

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Got to admit that is funny, but it doesn't change my opinion. Both are fine football coaches.

I could post the same gif for some of the retreads being named.

Why be so eager to hire coaches that have been fired?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Squires
I don't see why anyone would want McDaniels after he bailed on the Colts. I don't trust him.

Whoever puts their chips in on this little weasel is only asking to be made a fool of. Hello Jimmy.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Very few college only guys make it in the NFL. Two different worlds.

In college it is about recruiting wars. Then the head coach is god. You look a 19 or 20 year old kid in the face and tell him to jump; he replies "how high".

You look a NFL 5 year pro bowl player in the eye and he maybe making more money than you. He may listen but it a far distant conversation.

Landry mentioned leadership and respect.

NFL players respect guys who have been there and proven themselves. Andy Reid, Belichick guys who command respect.

Sure Jimmy Johnson made it but few others. And many failed. Think about Chip Kelly he was going revolutionize the NFL?
Steve Spurrier?

How did that work out.

Let's take a head coach who has won more games than lost in the NFL.

I am sick of shiny toys.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Ok, I watched the McCarthy video above. That is the guy we must get.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Folks don't understand, in the NE under McDaniels(Hoodie Jr.)You run the plays as designed. That means if its a 3 step drop, you take 3 steps and you throw the ball, if no one is open, you throw it away. You don't do like Baker does which is hotdogging, and trying to scrable, etc....McDaniels will snap on him on the sidelines on live TV

That attention to detail made me think of this clip of Josh McDaniels....

B
Legend
Legend
B
I understand, and can't really disagree a lot. Logic says...right?

However, a good coach is a good coach.

As for Spurrier, he had a bone head owner who is still a bonehead, but he was a young owner than. Kelly, if you hire a guy like that, you have to go all in.

It's like the Ravens, props to them. They brought in Lamar, went all in with the playbook and brought in backs-up to run the same deal. They went all in...and very well might win the Superbowl.

Tebow could have been terrific, but the Broncos didn't go all in with his style of play. Had they adjusted the playbook, ran the guy 15 or more times a game, Tebow would have looked like the Tebow at Florida. All of a sudden his passing would have looked really good. Tim hit the league about 4-5 years too soon.

It's not to late for him. I hope someone gives him another shot.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Got to admit that is funny, but it doesn't change my opinion. Both are fine football coaches.

I could post the same gif for some of the retreads being named.

Why be so eager to hire coaches that have been fired?

McCarthy is the only coach that makes sense.

We probably would be able to retain Dorsey also.

L
Legend
Legend
L
They really don’t need to over think it. McCarthy is a no brainer. He’s well prepared. Knows how to win and can develop qbs.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I loved the video - but it's simple for me

a superbowl winning headcoach wants to come here … pay him double

P
Legend
Legend
P

No Thank You tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Brown's Redzone just said that they requested permission to interview Brian Daboll. Hell to the NO!!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Please Haslem don't screw this up HIRE McCarthy !!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend

Called it, sarcastically anyway.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
And, if we bring in any college coach, it has to be Harbaugh or Meyer. People forget that Harbaugh was definitely successful at the nfl level.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RAWISRADFORD
I loved the video - but it's simple for me

a superbowl winning headcoach wants to come here … pay him double

Yeah, the more I think about it, McCarthy has to be the best choice. He has over a .600 record, and his playoff record (10-8) is nearly better than just about every season we've had since our return. He's won a Super Bowl. What more do you want from a coach?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish

Called it, sarcastically anyway.

Might as well bring in Shurmur while we're at it.

Legend
Legend
Lets so we go with McCarthy....

I don’t want to hate too hard, but my biggest worry is how baker responds to him. Mike McCarthy is a really good coach, and I think it’s clear Aaron pretty much forced him out.

Does baker have the clout to push him out if he doesn’t like him after....say year 2 of the pairing?

McCarthy comes in, but we see little improvement in bakers development. Will the FO side with baker or McCarthy?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend

I don’t want to hate too hard, but my biggest worry is how baker responds to him. Mike McCarthy is a really good coach, and I think it’s clear Aaron pretty much forced him out.

Does baker have the clout to push him out if he doesn’t like him after....say year 2 of the pairing?

McCarthy comes in, but we see little improvement in bakers development. Will the FO side with baker or McCarthy?

After this year, I'd say Baker has hardly any clout at all. Rodgers was a Super Bowl winner, MVP, and is considered a future Hall of Famer. Baker was runner up Rookie of the Year and this season's Most Regressed Player of the Year.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I understand, and can't really disagree a lot. Logic says...right?

However, a good coach is a good coach.

As for Spurrier, he had a bone head owner who is still a bonehead, but he was a young owner than. Kelly, if you hire a guy like that, you have to go all in.

It's like the Ravens, props to them. They brought in Lamar, went all in with the playbook and brought in backs-up to run the same deal. They went all in...and very well might win the Superbowl.

Tebow could have been terrific, but the Broncos didn't go all in with his style of play. Had they adjusted the playbook, ran the guy 15 or more times a game, Tebow would have looked like the Tebow at Florida. All of a sudden his passing would have looked really good. Tim hit the league about 4-5 years too soon.

It's not to late for him. I hope someone gives him another shot.

Interesting take on Tebow. Wasn’t Lamar thought of similarly coming out of college? Wonder what Roman could do with him...

Legend
Legend
J/C ..... when has McDaniels ever shown that he can be the voice who keeps star players in line?

I mean, in New England, he can be like the child with a hammer, pounding away, hopelessly, on a nail, knowing that dad has a massive hammer, and will use it, to back him up getting that nail driven in, if necessary.

He also has Tom Brady, who is a super strong voice on offense, who also helps keep players in line.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
With us and the coaching staff, sure.

With Dorsey and Haslam? Dunno man...

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend

That was a interesting piece.

Sometimes these guys step away and that ends it.

They don't want it anymore. The fire goes out. It takes a tool on family life.

Interesting that he still is driven by the game.

He is the guy that I want from the list.

He walks into a new room the players know. Hey this guy won it all. He is a made guy.

We need that bad.

Legend
Legend
With us and the coaching staff, sure.

With Dorsey and Haslam? Dunno man...

Ha! Point taken.

Legend
Legend
Daboll is a high quality coach on the offensive side of the ball .... but I don't think he's ready to be a head coach.

That said, it never hurts to hear ideas from a large group of candidates.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Tebow will not get a sniff in the NFL.

We have hired so many type guys. Belichick guys. "Offensive minds". Defensive geniuses.

I am tired of experiments.

If we can hire McCarthy we should.

Reminds of when Andy Reid left. Proven guys know what to do. They don't have to feel their way around. They have a plan and they work the plan.

First time NFL head coaches are developing a plan.

Legend
Legend
Made a poll to see who everyone's top choices are for coach:

DawgTalker Coach Poll

L
Legend
Legend
L

And what has that done for Green Bay...they actually got a little worse this year on offense...noone is scared of rodgers or green bay in playoffs. If Baker can't gel with MM, then we will get a new QB...problem solved, MM has proven himself, Baker might not even be in the NFL in 3 years. I think the Head coaching search should not even consider Baker other than the standpoint of can the candidate develop qb's or have a plan to. We learned the lesson with FK

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Baker gets no say in the head coach, and if it ends up being a guy with a ring, he had better shut up and learn.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I want a coach who knows how to work with the players he has and knows how to get the best out of them. Someone who knows who his best players are and uses them accordingly. A solid, grown up leader who’s organized and disciplined and not wound up on his own personal agendas and ego crap. Too much to ask?

I’m sorry but everything I know about McDaniels is just not good. I admit that, like others from the coach Bill tree, I don’t trust his talents outside of the Belichick/ Brady umbrella, I’m just not convinced he’s anything special away from them. You can say he’s made mistakes and maybe learned from them but what tells you that? How can you possibly know that given the data? He’s not only been a disaster everywhere else but a snake to boot. He’s another big boom bust gamble. Those go boom in Cleveland.

I like what little I know about Roman. Seems like a problem solver.
Not at all excited about McCarthy. The differential between packers last/this year should tell you something. They looked completely uninspired the last few years. They look born again now.

As usual, I don’t put much stock in fan opinions of coaches and you shouldn’t put much in mine. But while Im no good at picking the winners, I’ve been pretty outstanding at spotting who the dogs will be among new coaches most years for various teams. Which is not nothing. The best case scenario for me is to not be able to develop a solid opinion when watching all their interviews. It’s all about listening to them talk. I’ve never been wrong (so far). I knew Hugh and Freddy were dogs 10 seconds into their introductions. I have no faith this team knows how to hire coaches. Here’s to dumb luck! Luck be a lady...

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
I want a coach who knows how to work with the players he has and knows how to get the best out of them. Someone who knows who his best players are and uses them accordingly. A solid, grown up leader who’s organized and disciplined and not wound up on his own personal agendas and ego crap. Too much to ask?

I’m sorry but everything I know about McDaniels is just not good. I admit that, like others from the coach Bill tree, I don’t trust his talents outside of the Belichick/ Brady umbrella, I’m just not convinced he’s anything special away from them. You can say he’s made mistakes and maybe learned from them but what tells you that? How can you possibly know that given the data? He’s not only been a disaster everywhere else but a snake to boot. He’s another big boom bust gamble. Those go boom in Cleveland.

I like what little I know about Roman. Seems like a problem solver.
Not at all excited about McCarthy. The differential between packers last/this year should tell you something. They looked completely uninspired the last few years. They look born again now.

As usual, I don’t put much stock in fan opinions of coaches and you shouldn’t put much in mine. But while Im no good at picking the winners, I’ve been pretty outstanding at spotting who the dogs will be among new coaches most years for various teams. Which is not nothing. The best case scenario for me is to not be able to develop a solid opinion when watching all their interviews. It’s all about listening to them talk. I’ve never been wrong (so far). I knew Hugh and Freddy were dogs 10 seconds into their introductions. I have no faith this team knows how to hire coaches. Here’s to dumb luck! Luck be a lady...

you obviously don't watch packer games....they look worse this year..every single game is ugly and statistically they were better on offense last year, this year defense carried them. They scored the same amount of points as last year. So I don't buy into anything that says McCarthy was the problem, its usually been defense at GB that's been the problem

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

The article that accompanies this video goes into even more detail:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...-return-in-2020

Some highlights:

Quote:
[Frank]Cignetti -- a fellow graduate assistant with McCarthy on Paul Hackett's staff at Pitt in 1989 who later joined him on Haslett's Saints in the early 2000s and spent last season as the Packers' QBs coach -- recalls McCarthy telling him in early January he planned to coach again. McCarthy just wasn't sure it'd be in 2019. He received inquiries from several teams last winter and took one interview with the New York Jets, though he knew after that meeting it wasn't the right fit.

Quote:
How has Andy Reid successfully incorporated college concepts to flood the wide side of the field into his version of the West Coast offense? How do the Cowboys get Dak Prescott in rhythm on the deep cross? How are other teams borrowing the "Fish" concept on deep shots that McCarthy made a staple of his Packers offense? It's all been part of one long conversation throughout the season, and the Xs and Os are just a piece of it. What worked before? What needs to be done better?

"It's nice to have time to think about it, to watch, discuss, and you're not (saying), 'Hey, we gotta make this decision by end of March 'cause OTAs start in April,' " McCarthy said. "The whole 360 (degree) view, whether it's watching the games, watching the officiating, game management, scheme, technology, analytics ..."

The plan for all of it is laid out on two whiteboards, covered with notes on every scheme project they've completed and every aspect of the football operation they intend to build.

Quote:
No matter where he ends up, McCarthy doesn't envision a total teardown. ("I'm not a believer in [that]," he said. "I think every one of these opportunities that will be available, there's resources in there that you have to make sure you're aware of and try to utilize.") He wants to better use technology and analytics. ("We were definitely on the average side at best in my time in Green Bay there. I've looked at every team in the league and their commitment to analytics, and football technology and video. Because everybody has analytics, but it has to be part of your everyday operation to show up on Sundays.") At the forefront of the program will be player wellness, including dedicated resources for mental health. ("You have to develop the locker room from every possible angle. It can't be a subcontractor. It needs to be part of your everyday operation.")

I'm not in love with any of the candidates but I think Mike McCarthy is the most qualified from my perspective. He wouldn't cause a top down reconstruction of the front office because he's worked with a lot of the guys in Green Bay. On top of that a several of the coaches worked with McCarthy in Green Bay (James Campen, Joe Whitt, and Jeff Blasko).

With all that said I have no clue if McCarthy is the right guy. I wish we would interview some college coaches before we make a decision just to get a more detailed view of what is out there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am really surprised that Eric Bienemy has not been mentioned.

Andy Reid is a great coach, and his assistants have done well.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns coaching rumors

Link Copied to Clipboard