Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I in no way am willing to use the term "rebuild". Not with 1/2 (or a tad less) the personnel currently on The roster. Total overreaction at this point.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Squires
Haslam is an idiot. He needs to give someone more than 1-2 years to fix this mess. Cleaning house every year hasn't worked for the last 20 years.

Here we go into another rebuild. I hope the stadium is empty next year.

Why would we rebuild? If anything we'd be getting back on track to where we were heading before we got side tracked with Freddie being named HC. We're no longer in (re)building mode.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
The Haslams record of firing people is great, it's their record of hiring people that needs to be examined.

Joe Banner - Never worked in a permanent capacity for another team
Mike Lombardi - Worked with the Patriots while still under contract for the Browns, now a writer for The Athletic
Rob Chudzinski - Was the Colts offensive coordinator for three years, was fired, and has been out of football for two years (please let me know if he is coaching somewhere)
Ray Farmer - Out of football
Mike Pettine - Packers defensive coordinator
Sashi Brown - Currently works in a different sports league
Hue Jackson - No one will touch him

E
Legend
Legend
E
I love the despair invoked by so many fans...lol
Like 6-10 was nothing to be PO'd about but now its the end of the earth...lol laugh

Dorsey did a good job but then again who couldn't with the Cap we had, Draft picks we had.

Not a reason to be fired but he missed so so bad on the only OLman he took of note.

He was not perfect, he was the best we had seen.

Obviously we have been talking to people who want full control.

Is it McDaniels who wishes to be a carbon copy of BB??? He has HC experience he was suppose to be great then and bombed.

Don't forget who is close friends and a confidant of Haslam...none other than the great Urban Myer?

Anyone think Urban as the Csar/GM and Lincoln Kennedy as his HC?

I think something is up and we got to get the Minority Interviews over and then go with the plan being cooked up.

Hey I'm up for anything as long as it is forEVER and not one season.

Just a word of advice...STOP WITH THE CHICKEN LITTLE - THE SKY IS FALLING fan mentality. Lets see what happens.. It cannot be anything but good we got a wealth of talent (Garrett better be coming back from game one next season and have a chip on his shoulder)

We still have the best RB in Football and the best 2nd RB in football. Along with a great young franchise QB and a WR corp that is top in the NFL regardless of the LOW FANTASY POINTS of 2019. OBJ sucked and still had 1,000 yards - how many WRs did we have who had 1,000 yards and I think we had 2 WR accomplish that this season.

We need to go heavy into OL.

We need a playbook that will spread things not keep them in tight....if I see another Bunch tight WRs as if they were a bunch of OLmen I will shoot myself. We need to not bunch things up but instead...SPREAD Them out. Vertical and Horizontal.

So I'm saying we got Urban and Lincoln...you heard it here first.

Now hit me with the usual insults for thinking out of the box...lol laugh

We got to do something GREAT for a change!
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I hate taking a college HC but those 2 could be ok I hope we go with a veteran HC (McCarthy) who has been through the NFL wars and won ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
I feel like the only thing that will make this okay is if we move Elliot Wolf to the GM role and bring in McCarthy. We'll at least have a GM with pedigree and training and a head coach with vast amounts of experience. Anything else will just be the usual shooting in the dark that we normally do.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
According to you,every hire the Browns have made has been great.
I hope you'll pardon me if my displeasure and well placed skepticism is showing.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
The Haslams record of firing people is great, it's their record of hiring people that needs to be examined.

Joe Banner - Never worked in a permanent capacity for another team
Mike Lombardi - Worked with the Patriots while still under contract for the Browns, now a writer for The Athletic
Rob Chudzinski - Was the Colts offensive coordinator for three years, was fired, and has been out of football for two years (please let me know if he is coaching somewhere)
Ray Farmer - Out of football
Mike Pettine - Packers defensive coordinator
Sashi Brown - Currently works in a different sports league
Hue Jackson - No one will touch him

Perhaps those guys would have succeeded somewhere where the toilet paper isn't monogrammed "JH".

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Haslam is an idiot. He needs to give someone more than 1-2 years to fix this mess. Cleaning house every year hasn't worked for the last 20 years.

Why would we rebuild? If anything we'd be getting back on track to where we were heading before we got side tracked with Freddie being named HC. We're no longer in (re)building mode.

A new GM will come in and want his own players. Happens every time.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don't understand this whole "dorsey did a great job with the assets he was given" He would have had to try to be worse. Two drafts and we have 3 viable starters... thats 17 picks and only hit on 3 starters and guys that didn't even last a year and the rest marginal depth or practice squad quality...gives the worst RT in football 4 years and 36 million dollars. Gave TJ carrie, with a PFF rating of 56 on the year 31 million dollars. Thats right, based on PFF rankings, TJ qualifies as fodder, and getting 31 million. Pissed away a 3rd rounder for basically 2 games of Tyrod, Traded two picks for Teller who was a cluster at RG and rated 56 on the year... trust me...all this adds up when you look at how much he was given to work with. the FK deal was just the proverbial straw. My guess is Depodesta's board the last two years yielded better players and Haslam wanted Dorsey to trust the analytics more, he refused like pretty much any scout would do and thats why hes no longer the gm

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

Because the man that brought in all this talent is now gone. New GM's always want THEIR guys so you can count on a lot of turnover. Also, how do you know the next GM knows how to draft? Our previous GM's usre as heck didn't. We could get another Farmer that completely blows 4 first round picks. But yeah, it's awesome that we just fired the ONLY GM since the return that knew what the hell he was doing. Can't have that in Cleveland. Nope, have to run guys like that out of town fast. Here's hoping Haslam hires another Farmer and he blows the whole thing up. That's what we all deserve for being stupid enough to follow this train wreck of a team. I am done. Firing Dorsey is the dumbest move yet out of Haslam. If he's so smart he should just name himself GM.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
Legend
Legend
P
You keep buying the same old BS, over and over and over again. After 20 years of that BS, some of us are sick of hearing it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
People keep saying there won't be a huge roster turnover when it's happened over and over again ever since 1999. It's like they're getting ready to watch a rerun they've seen several times and claim that this time the ending will be different.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
People keep saying there won't be a huge roster turnover when it's happened over and over again ever since 1999. It's like they're getting ready to watch a rerun they've seen several times and claim that this time the ending will be different.

The Browns are Wile E Coyote, and Success is the Roadrunner.

#GMSTRONG
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

It's almost a certainty that there will be a lot of roster turnover. That doesn't mean the team can't compete right away.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Why would you assume Dorsey knew what he was doing?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Like I said, watching the same rerun and expecting different results.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
Like 6-10 was nothing to be PO'd about but now its the end of the earth...lol laugh

Dorsey did a good job but then again who couldn't with the Cap we had, Draft picks we had.

Not a reason to be fired but he missed so so bad on the only OLman he took of note.

Is it McDaniels who wishes to be a carbon copy of BB??? He has HC experience he was suppose to be great then and bombed.

Don't forget who is close friends and a confidant of Haslam...none other than the great Urban Myer?

I think something is up and we got to get the Minority Interviews over and then go with the plan being cooked up.

Just a word of advice...STOP WITH THE CHICKEN LITTLE - THE SKY IS FALLING fan mentality. Lets see what happens.. It cannot be anything but good we got a wealth of talent (Garrett better be coming back from game one next season and have a chip on his shoulder)

We still have the best RB in Football and the best 2nd RB in football. Along with a great young franchise QB and a WR corp that is top in the NFL regardless of the LOW FANTASY POINTS of 2019. OBJ sucked and still had 1,000 yards - how many WRs did we have who had 1,000 yards and I think we had 2 WR accomplish that this season.

We need a playbook that will spread things not keep them in tight....if I see another Bunch tight WRs as if they were a bunch of OLmen I will shoot myself. We need to not bunch things up but instead...SPREAD Them out. Vertical and Horizontal.

jmho

Doresy did a great job but it is great now that he's gone? Who could't do a great job with what he had? How about every other GM we've had since the return. THEY couldn't get talent. Not one of them could draft worth spit. Dorsey was the ONLY real GM we have had since the return and in TWO YEARS he got us more talent than any of the other bums did. So woo hoo he's now gone and of course, you support that because Haslam can do no wrong. Well, when the new guy comes in a blows it all up and we draft like idiots again and again remember you are happy about it.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
Legend
Legend
P
He will love them until they're fired.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Great job? Dorsey didn't even do a good job. He was borderline awful.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Originally Posted By: eotab

jmho

Doresy did a great job but it is great now that he's gone? Who could't do a great job with what he had? How about every other GM we've had since the return. THEY couldn't get talent. Not one of them could draft worth spit. Dorsey was the ONLY real GM we have had since the return and in TWO YEARS he got us more talent than any of the other bums did. So woo hoo he's now gone and of course, you support that because Haslam can do no wrong. Well, when the new guy comes in a blows it all up and we draft like idiots again and again remember you are happy about it.

Did he pick a coach who could win, or just a coach who would not talk back to him ?

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
eo - The eternal optimist!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Yeah, it was the Mayfield pick that did him in.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
You would think a guy who drafted his God at QB would get favorable reviews wouldn't you?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I know it will never happen because the Cleveland media that cover the Browns don't possess the nerve.

But I would love for someone to read Haslams comments from those hirings/firings back to him at this presser.

Grossi would do it but they would never give him the platform.

Mary K and the rest will ask their softball questions and nod to Jimmy. Man, I would love the platform to ask him some dagger questions that he would be squirming in his seat from.

Inherited rich snob with his NFL toy team.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I'll admit the Browns have more talent than they've had in a long time but it is still not where it needs to be.
Both Pittsburg and Baltimore have a lot better defenses and olines than we do.
Our QB ranked 31st in the league while Baltimores is the league MVP, Pittsburgh will get Ben back next year and the Bengals will have Burrows.
Our TEs are the worst in the division.
Our WRs are nothing special after Landry. OBJ needs gone.
Our RBs are the best pair in the division and the strength of our team.
I honestly think Dorsey won't be missed. He also hired Kitchens when Gregg Williams should have got the job. At least we had discipline and played hard when Williams was here.
I reaaly think our next coach will be either McCarthy and Elliot stays or McDaniels.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Legend
Legend
The trades, the poor pick of Baker, the poor pick of Freddie ... those alone are fireable offenses

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Because the man that brought in all this talent is now gone.

I keep hearing this, but exactly what talent? While I'm not a fan of letting Dorsey go ... as others have pointed out: what we thought we had talent wise in August, isn't exactly what has panned out now. A lot of that could probably be blamed on Freddie misusing the talent given to him, but it was Dorsey specifically that pushed for that hire, and then was pretty steadfast about retaining him as coach.

Everyone gives credit to Dorsey because of how last year's draft class panned out. This year, those same picks went completely backwards:

Baker: Near Rookie of the Year -> One of the worst rated starters in the league.
Ward: Pro-Bowl Corner -> Barely on the field
Corbett: Guard of the Future -> Gone
Chubb: Awesome -> Stayed awesome
Chad Thomas: Potential DE depth -> Gone
Calloway: Dangerous 3rd WR -> Gone
Avery: Great passing down rusher -> Gone

Most of the picks, trades and signings he made didn't really amount to much, and he had a LOT of capital to work with.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The comments about OBJ crack me up. The guy played with a groin pull the entire season and still cracked 1000 yards. Yes his antics are a distraction but to claim a guy who toughed it out and played injured all season is a bad player makes people look foolish.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

It could be .. as it stands right now .. Charley Frye played as well as Mayfield did this year .. and Frye did it without the talent around him.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
E
Legend
Legend
E
Baker was the right pick. He could not flourish with these coaches. The coaches were the wrong pick.

So we will get to try again, with Baker, and hopefully with the right coaches this time.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

It could be .. as it stands right now .. Charley Frye played as well as Mayfield did this year .. and Frye did it without the talent around him.

The question becomes, if you can’t find the talent with the football, does it really exist?

#GMSTRONG
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Little insight here.
Baker Mayfield is young. But he regressed In 2019. He's not a lock to be a franchise QB going foward.
He was the 32nd ranked QB out of 32.
Did you watch the Bengals game. ?
Does that look like a franchise QB. ?
Franchise QBS don't trade words with beer vendors
They do their talking with results on the field

Legend
Legend
The comments about OBJ crack me up. The guy played with a groin pull the entire season and still cracked 1000 yards. Yes his antics are a distraction but to claim a guy who toughed it out and played injured all season is a bad player makes people look foolish.

Baker played hurt most the season as well and is the first Browns QB to put up consecutive 3500+ passing yard seasons in a long time, but that doesn't stop people from complaining about his antics.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
All this team needed was a new coach,DC,OC. Dorsey was a great GM. He blew on Freddy but everybody makes a mistake once in a while.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
One of the rules that the Browns employ thanks to analytics...the Browns do not want to pay to add depth to the roster.

The GM and coach are limited to picking up cheap free agents..preferably those who were not drafted..thus the cheapest option.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

Baker played hurt most the season as well and is the first Browns QB to put up consecutive 3500+ passing yard seasons in a long time, but that doesn't stop people from complaining about his antics.

You obviously weren't paying attention. I stated plainly that OBJ's antics were a distraction as well. I said people who say he's a bad player look foolish.

I don't like the antics of OBJ or Baker. The only difference is that OBJ has proven himself in the NFL and Baker hasn't.

Having 22 TD's and 21 int's and being rated 31st in the league kind of makes that 3500 yards look a little selective.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
All this team needed was a new coach,DC,OC. Dorsey was a great GM. He blew on Freddy but everybody makes a mistake once in a while.

I think part of it was the insistence on keeping Freddie. I get the "everyone makes mistakes part", but when you try to double-down on that mistake while he's busy making you look incompetent in the process ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
That may be. We have no idea what was going on behind closed doors.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well, Atleast Dorsey drafted the worst rated QB in the league. At least we got that going for us.

Two QBs in the same draft class have now led their teams to the playoffs. Another one finished with a better record than us, despite having the cooties for a month.

If Flores plan was to save Rosen until next season with a new O line and other talent, then we could easily see Rosen outplaying mayfield next season.

Sad.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns fire John Dorsey

Link Copied to Clipboard