Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Just wanted to ask...Why is everyone so high on McCarthy?

I think he really degraded in his time with Green Bay. I was never really impressed with him. Now that is just my opinion...I just wanted other perspectives.

I personally do not want McDaniels. 6 Super Bowl rings....OK...How many of those rings were a product of him and not of the Belichick/Brady combo??? I just remember his time in Denver...and he literally tore that team apart with his ego. At the time it was the most promising of teams with a ton of weapons. And then Josh could not work with the Front Office. then he couldn't work with his QB. And then his receivers...etc. He tried to Belichick the team without having the cred to back it up. and honestly, I am not sure he has that now...And I am not sure his ego has cooled any either...Denver is still reeling from the effects of McDaniels' time there.

I am still on the Greg Roman boat. But I am seeing what people see in Stefanski. These are guys that adapt to the players they are given. I do not want a coach that has to blow up this team because the players don't fit his "scheme". They take want they have and optimize it in the best ways possible. I want a coach that gets the best from his players...not one that is searching for the player he needs.

I would definitely like to promote Elliot Wolf to GM. I think it is time for him to make that step. So I really would like to find a coach who can work with him...If that is McCarthy than so be it...I won't be excited about it...but I won't be ready to burn jerseys over it...LOL

On a aside...A guy I think needs to make a jump to the NFL coaching ranks is Jim Leonhard. Obviously not as Head coach, but I can see him eventually becoming one. The guy is SMART, what he has done with Wisconsin's D is amazing(especially when you consider their recruiting tendencies). When he was here towards the end of his playing days...he was practically a D Coordinator on the field. This guy needs to be on an NFL staff in some sort of capacity...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

"I'm throwing my hat in I'd like to be the next coach of the Cleveland #Browns" -
@joethomas73
chatting on the state of the #Browns #PatMcAfeeShowLIVE

https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1212779521423925250

It would be a wise move to make him apart of this organization in some way. He's probably too wise after his many years here to do that.

I'd be down with JT being given a prominent role somewhere in the organization. If he can be groomed - love to see him as HC one day.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In everything you read about him it would seem Stefanski is the most adaptable candidate. That's to players, GM etc.
Also the greenest candidate outside of Roman who I dont think will be seriously
considered. Add in that Stefanski was DePos choice last year and you have a pretty strong contender.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Reading your post made me think about where do good HC's come from and how does a team get one. Like you said it's a crap shoot for real.

So I decided to look up a few HC's who are considered good and where did they come from and how they got there. They had to start somewhere.

Andy Reid :As coach:
BYU (1982)
Graduate assistant
San Francisco State (1983–1985)
Offensive line coach
Northern Arizona (1986)
Offensive line coach
UTEP (1987–1988)
Offensive line coach
Missouri (1989–1991)
Offensive line coach
Green Bay Packers (1992–1994)
Offensive assistant
Green Bay Packers (1995–1996)
Assistant offensive line & tight ends coach
Green Bay Packers (1997–1998)
Quarterbacks coach & assistant head coach
Philadelphia Eagles (1999–2012)
Head coach
Kansas City Chiefs (2013–present)
Head coach

Mike McCarthy :As coach:
Fort Hays State (1987–1988)
Graduate assistant
Pittsburgh (1989–1991)
Graduate assistant
Pittsburgh (1992)
Wide receivers coach
Kansas City Chiefs (1993–1994)
Offensive quality control coordinator
Kansas City Chiefs (1995–1998)
Quarterbacks coach
Green Bay Packers (1999)
Quarterbacks coach
New Orleans Saints (2000–2004)
Offensive coordinator
San Francisco 49ers (2005)
Offensive coordinator
Green Bay Packers (2006–2018)
Head coach.

Bill Belicheck:As coach:
Baltimore Colts (1975)
Special assistant
Detroit Lions (1976)
Assistant special teams coach
Detroit Lions (1977)
Receivers coach
Denver Broncos (1978)
Assistant special teams coach & defensive assistant
New York Giants (1979)
Special teams coach & defensive assistant
New York Giants (1980–1984)
Linebackers coach & special teams coach
New York Giants (1985–1990)
Defensive coordinator
Cleveland Browns (1991–1995)
Head coach
New England Patriots (1996)
Assistant head coach & defensive backs coach
New York Jets (1997–1999)
Assistant head coach & defensive coordinator
New England Patriots (2000–present)
Head coach.

Sean Payton :As coach:
San Diego State (1988–1989)
Offensive assistant
Indiana State (1990–1991)
Running backs coach & wide receivers coach
San Diego State (1992–1993)
Running backs coach
Miami (OH) (1994–1995)
Offensive coordinator
Illinois (1996)
Quarterbacks coach
Philadelphia Eagles (1997–1998)
Quarterbacks coach
New York Giants (1999)
Quarterbacks coach
New York Giants (2000–2002)
Offensive coordinator
Dallas Cowboys (2003–2005)
Assistant head coach & quarterbacks coach
New Orleans Saints (2006–present)
Head coach.

I looked up the top 10 HC's of 2019 just to see where they came from. Just being curious on how a HC works their way through the ranks and were they successful in their beginning years.

It really appears that it is a little bit of being smart and being lucky. Learning how to grow and being resilient.

You couldn't of said it any better it is a crap shoot. Looking at the names on the list to be interviewed.

I'm beginning to wonder if taken an already proven HC in McCarthy wouldn't be the safest way to go. With McCarthy I don't believe there would be as much of a change or turn over in the FO. Whether some feel that's good or bad.

Question is now is there a Candidate on the list as a OC / DC that has the feeling of being able to come in and be successful.

Urban would be the other candidate that would be considered a HC and not a Coordinator. But he is also lacks any NFL experience.

McCarthy has the most experience but is he the leader the team needs.

Urbans name being mentioned today certainly puts a Hmm in the mix

Legend
Legend
there’s no way Joe Thomas wants to be involved in any way ... he likes his time off, doing his media stuff, and showing up every month or whatever to chill. Good for him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PETE314
I am still on the Greg Roman boat.

I am intrigued by Roman as well. I mentioned this to someone who then asked me if he was the guy who has never worked with a pocket quarterback. I honestly do not know that.

I also agree about McDaniels. I do not want to be the next team to pluck someone from the Belichek tree in the hopes that he will be a successful HC. Many have tried, no one has succeeded.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Browns reportedly have strong interest in Urban Meyer as next head coach

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brown...ext-head-coach/

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
McCarthy intrigues me for a couple reasons. First being the experience and success. Second, I like the fact that such a coach took the time to step back, really re-evaluate not only himself, but also the direction of where the League is heading. I don’t think he’d be a coach who would end up being an old relic in the modern world. And so far what we’ve heard he’s done in that process seems to match what we’ve been trying to do in Cleveland.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I like McCarthy because he has run a highly successful team. We have good talent (need to fill a few holes). But we need someone who knows how to keep it together, knows what a properly run practice looks like, knows how to minimize drama, knows how to manage a clock. Someone who has been there before and done it.
Some of the coordinators are very impressive, and one might be the next Belichick. But McCarthy is a proven commodity. Give him a good roster and he can win.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The one thing I will say about McCarthy, is that hiring a more experienced head coach could, if said coach embraces it, allow us to go and get that exotic OC with the flavor-of-the-month scheme we seem to like to chase. Then you could have the best of both worlds.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I lean in the direction of McCarthy above all the others. The Browns decided to keep Eliot Wolf when they cut ties with Dorsey and I have yet to see a combination that has any other resume' to compete with the success they achieved while working together. They went to the playoffs nine times together in Green Bay, including four NFC title games and a victory over the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV.

With McCarthy having a record of 125–77–2 in the regular season, a record of 10–8 in the post season and a record of 135–85–2 overall, nobody else in consideration brings that kind of NFL success to the table.

I know people attribute his success to being a HC with Favre and Rodgers as his QB's. And I'm certain having quality QB's helped greatly. But if one is looking at the other side of the coin, those QB's have very strong personalities much like Baker does and McCarthy managed to keep those egos in check for the most part.

I think as much of importance as anything is we have to bring in someone our players will respect and follow. That's something McCarthy brings to the table that we can't be certain any of the other candidates do.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
The Lindy Infante to McCarthy's Marty!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
The one thing I will say about McCarthy, is that hiring a more experienced head coach could, if said coach embraces it, allow us to go and get that exotic OC with the flavor-of-the-month scheme we seem to like to chase. Then you could have the best of both worlds.
yeah, as long as the HC doesn’t have a big ego and want to play call and have it his way

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's something a HC earns over time. A lot of the people being considered for the job don't have the record to back up such a decision.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I know people attribute his success to being a HC with Favre and Rodgers as his QB's.

Do people attribute Rodgers success because of McCarthy ? It was McCarthy who was there helping develop a young Rodgers. Also McCarthy has 23 years of experience calling Offenses and coaching QB's

McCarthy reminds me of Andy Reid... and who wouldn't want that type of HC.

I'm also leaning towards McCarthy. If he's the guy that fits. Then don't let him go to NY

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I like him too, but show me a consistant successful coach and I'll show u a team with a really good QB.

Last edited by AlwaysABrownsFan; 01/02/20 02:59 PM.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend

Clearly the least risk is McCarthy.

Not even close.

All the coordinators have no experience as head coach in the NFL. That alone is meaningful. Of that group Stefanski appears to be the best option and because he was favored before he may have a inside track.

Urban Meyer IMO presents the most risk.

Of course he is the shiny object and will attract Haslam.

I am not optimistic.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
McCarthy won a Super Bowl. That is where us Browns fans want our team to be. He is the most experienced. If he still has the drive and passion he is who I would like to see as Browns Coach.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
Legend
M
I suspect - opinion only - the order of preference for the Haslams might be:

McDaniels
Urban
McCarthy ....

The fact that McCarthy is the first interview - but McDaniels doesn't interview until the 10th (just saw that) bodes badly in my opinion/hope for landing McCarthy.

C
Legend
Legend
C

C
Legend
Legend
C

C
Legend
Legend
C

C
Legend
Legend
C
I wish everyone could have seen Haslam's face when a reporter asked if Dorsey and Kitchens were aligned.

Legend
Legend
Maybe there is hope.

C
Legend
Legend
C

C
Legend
Legend
C

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/02/20 03:19 PM. Reason: Tweet not posting
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I wish everyone could have seen Haslam's face when a reporter asked if Dorsey and Kitchens were aligned.

It was the 13 minute mark.

Legend
Legend

It was the 13 minute mark.
I’ll have to watch it when i can thanks

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Do people attribute Rodgers success because of McCarthy ? It was McCarthy who was there helping develop a young Rodgers. Also McCarthy has 23 years of experience calling Offenses and coaching QB's

McCarthy reminds me of Andy Reid... and who wouldn't want that type of HC.

I'm also leaning towards McCarthy. If he's the guy that fits. Then don't let him go to NY

Some people certainly give McCarthy credit for the development of Rodgers. I mean as soon as he became the starter he was ready to produce and knew the offense very well. That was certainly no accident. But those who want someone else as HC often use that reasoning to try to circumvent McCarthy's success.

He isn't what some see as the flavor of the month and they would wish to take a larger gamble on people who haven't proven anything as an NFL HC. And that's fine if that's the way they see it.

But that also comes with the risk of hiring the next Chip Kelly. I mean I'm quite sure every candidate we interview will have a plan and a strategy for being an NFL HC. But then again everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pit one thing Jimmy said in his presser was the new HC was going to be involved in hiring the GM.

Just curious what HC candidates being interviewed can actually have a GM in mind that they can help bring in and create the alignment that Jimmy mentions.

Seems like Josh McDaniels would and I wonder if McCarthy would not including Wolf.

I'm hearing Stefansky would pair up with Andrew Berry

P
Legend
Legend
P
There's a lot of conjecture out there. The only comment I would really have on the matter is it would seem to me that as long as McCarthy has been in the league, I would think he has the strongest and a larger connection within the league with which to build a strong coaching staff and have a clue about what a successful NFL FO takes to succeed.

Other than his work under Belichick's wing and mentorship, I haven't seen a single thing McDaniels has done to instill any confidence from me that he has the power and experience to assemble a FO and coaching staff of great respect and experience. Especially a GM.

In Denver he did a pretty good job on the D side of the ball in the coaches. But he hired Mike Nolan as DC and they switched over to the 3-4. Something I don't think Browns fans would be in favor of changing to as our base D.

Here's a little bit about who he made their OC

Mike McCoy Keeps Getting Fired and People Should Probably Stop Hiring Him for Stuff Now

https://www.12up.com/posts/6200788-mike-...m-for-stuff-now

wink

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Odds To Be Next Head Coach Of The Cleveland Browns
https://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/cleveland-browns-head-coach-odds

The Cleveland Browns are a mess. After a demoralizing 2019 season full of expectations, the Browns already have their sights set on the next head coach to bring respectability back to the franchise.

New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is the betting favorite to take the top job in Cleveland according to online sportsbook, Bovada.

Right behind him on the oddsboard is former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy (+300), Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski (+500), Urban Meyer (+600) and 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh (+700) to round out the top five betting options.

Why Josh McDaniels Is The Favorite
Pedigree, ingenuity and coaching experience are just some of the reasons why Josh McDaniels is the favorite to be the Cleveland Browns head coach. However, the main reason why McDaniels should be at the top of mind for each NFL coaching vacancy could be his upcoming availability from the New England Patriots.

There are rumors of McDaniels potentially bolting from Massachusetts for greener pastures because of the potential demise of the Patriots as we know it. QB Tom Brady is 42 and could be playing his last year in New England and without the Golden Boy, being a coordinator under Bill Belichick may not be as enticing without a guarantee to go deep in the postseason.

McDaniels has been a head coach before with an 18-month stint with the Denver Broncos before being fired in his second season. He was also almost on his way out the door at the end of 2018 playoffs to be the next coach of the Indianapolis Colts before he got cold feet. He is routinely thought of as a coaching candidate anytime a vacancy comes up.

There have been no official reports of McDaniels wanting to leave New England and he was also thought of to be the successor to Belichick if the 67-year-old was to retire or move on.

The Browns job is a bit of a tough one to sell because while they have tons of talent in key spots, the culture in Cleveland is a disgrace and the Brownies don’t need a ton of game plan magic, they need a leader of men/babysitter or the analogy presented by ESPN’s Mina Kimes, “They need an adult in the room.”

McDaniels is also supposedly in the mix to be the next Dallas Cowboys head coach and Carolina Panthers head coach so I’d be cautious about backing him at +200 odds to see him stand Pat (see what I did there?) or take the flashier gig like in Dallas or in New York with the Giants.

My Darkhorse Pick
I know this one is a longshot because he’s got a pretty cushy job in Oklahoma but Lincoln Riley is who I’d bet on based off opportunity and the +1800 odds. Riley is fresh off a loss in the College Football Playoff semifinal to LSU and may be looking for a change from the Big12 scenery to take on a bigger challenge. And there’s no bigger challenge in the NFL than rehabilitating the Cleveland Browns back to respectability.

The obvious connection is QB Baker Mayfield, who won the Heisman Trophy with Riley in 2017 and try to help rejuvenate his career/image after a regression in 2019 that saw him throw 22 touchdowns and 21 interceptions.

Baker needs a coach that can get the best out of him and move this offense in the right direction because with skill players like Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham Jr, Nick Chubb and David Njoku, it’s inexcusable that the Browns were ranked 22nd in the NFL in both total passing yards and touchdowns in this season.

Here is the list of candidates to coach the Cleveland Browns in 2020:

Odds To Be Head Coach Of Cleveland Browns For Week 1 Of 2020 NFL Season
Coach Odds
Josh McDaniels +200
Mike McCarthy +300
Kevin Stefanski +500
Urban Meyer +600
Robert Saleh +700
Greg Roman +800
Marvin Lewis +1000
Eric Bienemy +1200
Dan Campbell +1400
David Shaw +1600
Lincoln Riley +1800
Jim Caldwell +2000
Odds as of January 2 at BetOnline

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ending up with Jim Caldwell would be such a massive disappointment.

Legend
Legend
But if you put a grand down early on him...

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Kevin Stefanski +500 is a tempting line. If I were to put money on any of them, that'd be it.

Legend
Legend
ending up with a coach who consistently got to the playoffs is a disappointment?

man, i wish we had a coach that got to the playoffs 4 out of his 7 years coaching in the league, just like the browns coaches we've had since 99.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Patriots OC Josh McDaniels is planning to conduct his interviews next Friday, Jan. 10, sources say. He has requests from the #Panthers, #Browns and #Giants – and is considered a top candidate.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1212784860802232321

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Haus
Kevin Stefanski +500 is a tempting line. If I were to put money on any of them, that'd be it.

Yep. That's the solid bet in my eyes, I'd throw 100 on it.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Haus

Interesting - figured I'd go look the odds up myself.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1917023

Looks about right.

Legend
Legend
The #Browns have a busy day: They plan to interview #Ravens creative offensive coordinator Greg Roman tonight, sources informed of their thinking say. Would imagine Baker Mayfield would enjoy this. That interview follows Mike McCarthy.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1212838921425608704

#gmSTRONG
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns HC Interviews

Link Copied to Clipboard