Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1715255 01/02/20 03:16 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/02/20 03:20 PM.
Legend
Legend
how many of us submitted our resumes when dorsey got fired?

easy paycheck. survive for 2 years, get fired, then get paid for the last 2 on the couch.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Hmm

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Gotta hire the HC first....

Legend
Legend
McDaniels .. then his guy maybe lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Its rumored he'd bring along another NE guy.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
The whole GM/coach thing always befuddles me. A coach says “I need a big middle LBer.” And the GM says “Here’s a speedy wide out.”

Obviously, I use hyperbole there. But shouldn’t the GM just get a laundry list of needs/wants from the coaching staff and fill it as best they can?

For the business end of it, I can see them being the boss, but from a roster standpoint, it just seems to be an inefficient model.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Lol so Redskins

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They don't have a winning coach since our return either. More wins but not a winner of a coach. They're nearly as sad as Cleveland.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it is harder to find a GOOD Defensive Coordinator !!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
We finally had an elite GM. I can see firing the coach due to lack of discipline on the team but firing the GM yet again. I don't even care anymore. It's just the same crap with Haslem. He has no patience to let the team build up a system and keep drafting for it. I"m pretty close to being done with the NFL altogether.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Last edited by tastybrownies; 01/08/20 08:39 AM.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
We finally had an elite GM. I can see firing the coach due to lack of discipline on the team but firing the GM yet again. I don't even care anymore. It's just the same crap with Haslem. He has no patience to let the team build up a system and keep drafting for it. I"m pretty close to being done with the NFL altogether.

Thing is, how does anyone justify leaving Dorsey with the authority over the coaches after the Freddie debacle? Especially if let's say he lobbied to keep Freddie another year? I'm just not sure how anyone would feel if Dorsey stayed and was the one in charge of finding a new HC.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Any left? BB will be pressed to fill some holes yet again.

Maybe Brady. Problems solved. rolleyesdevil naughtydevil

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I am not sure we can call Dorsey an "elite GM." I mean, I certainly did during the euphoria that followed Baker's rookie season and the OBJ trade. But some of the things he got credit for did not age so well. And he made some draft blunders and even reaches that flopped which we can all name. Those things, coupled with the Freddie hire and the reported inability to work with others or embrace analytics make him something short of elite.

Legend
Legend

Done with the NFL.

Many times I have thought that. There are a lot things about the "whole NFL thing" that gets under my skin.

Hard to even explain it. The coverage. The business. Behavior from players, fans, media.

The Browns are so deep into my history that I still care. However, what I see from ownership is hard to handle.

I want team success because I feel Cleveland needs it. I want the younger generation to have a history of their own to be proud of. I was around when we had Jim Brown. At least I have those memories.

I find myself going back to baseball more and more. It is soothing to me. I follow the Braves and the Tribe. Baseball you play almost every day. You get over loses quick. Football as a Browns fan is like death every Sunday. I want to see the game and then I wish I never saw it.

A big part of it all is the continuous losing. When I played sports I hated losing. It ate at me. It must be torture for a good player to play for the Browns and just lose. I know they make money but you play to win the game. A career like Joe Thomas? Great to have the recognition. But to lose like that. No picnic.

This past season was the worst. I bought into the talent. Felt we would have a winning season. The first in what seems like eternity. It did not happen. In fact we got worse.

Now we are back to square zero. My attitude is watch the games forget the rest. When it is not entertaining walk away. Forget feeling obligated.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

The problem is we didn't fire Dorsey. We were just going to take away some of his power in selecting the head coach. He couldn't agree with that, so the two parties decided to part ways.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cut from the same ( old ) cloth ~

P
Legend
Legend
P
The problem is we actually have no idea what went on behind closed doors. All we really know is the PR statement we were given when the dust settled.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

The idea of Robert Saleh as HC is growing on me, with Berry as GM. Results might not be immediate, but I'm beginning to believe that would be a good long term combination.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

Hard to say. He looks the part.

But coordinators are the great unknown. They are the next in line every year.

It is almost like the draft. Speculation runs rampant. The next great coach. Mostly it does not work out that way.

It is a big jump to head coach. And there are many factors that go into success and failure.

The key is get the right people. Recognize that when things do go wrong it is not always on the head coach. Ownership should have enough faith to stick with a guy when the results are not always great.

The Steelers I give props too. They hire a guy. Have confidence in why they hired him. Then stick with him through thick and thin.

We have not even got to the point that we have confidence in a guy. Let alone stick with a head coach.

Hard to have faith in this go around as well.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Here's the most logical way for me to think about the current process.

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

We have watched this process over and over since Haslam bought this team. Over and over again fans have gotten excited, gotten their hopes up and been disappointed every time.

I am one who has learned from the past not to get my hopes and expectations set very high. Results will be my guide.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Hard to say. He looks the part.

But coordinators are the great unknown. They are the next in line every year.

It is almost like the draft. Speculation runs rampant. The next great coach. Mostly it does not work out that way.

It is a big jump to head coach. And there are many factors that go into success and failure.

The key is get the right people. Recognize that when things do go wrong it is not always on the head coach. Ownership should have enough faith to stick with a guy when the results are not always great.

The Steelers I give props too. They hire a guy. Have confidence in why they hired him. Then stick with him through thick and thin.

We have not even got to the point that we have confidence in a guy. Let alone stick with a head coach.

Hard to have faith in this go around as well.

You make a great point about coordinators being the hot prospect each year. I was thinking last night about some of the big names from the past that didn't pan out as head coaches or that didn't even get an opportunity. Off the top of my head I came up with:

Marty Mornhinweg
Norv Turner
Hue Jackson
Lindy Infante
Wade Phillips
Chan Gailey
Rob Chudzinski
Todd Haley

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lindy Infante .. Would love his play-book with a few more pass routes added !

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well he is 75 years old. Young enough to be president but I don't know about the NFL. wink

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Well he is 75 years old. Young enough to be president but I don't know about the NFL. wink

But I'll bet he can devise a scheme to properly over-throw the Ayatollah.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #1718393 01/08/20 04:27 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
As long as he has prepared a "winning WW 3 strategy" ahead of time. wink

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's ok .. I can still remember Good Football in Cleveland ! Mack/Byner and the rest of the crew .. Guess that's part of what bothers me so .. Many , many a poster on here have never witnessed that ..

Legend
Legend

Sound advice.

Until this past season. I saw nothing that even resembled a team.

I was in British Columbia fly fishing with my son 2016. We could not fish on Sunday because you have to be Canadian.

We got the Browns on. Cody Kessler started. I watched that game and thought to myself "this is one of the worst teams I have ever seen, I wonder if they will win a game?"

They did - one.

2019 I bought into the roster. I thought we had real talent for the first time in many moons. Could not wait for the season to start. Was sure we would have at least a winning record.

We did not.

I have learned to have no expectations.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The problem is we actually have no idea what went on behind closed doors. All we really know is the PR statement we were given when the dust settled.

I believe the statement. If you choose to conjure up other possibilities, that's on you.

I believe the statement and Dorsey could be here had he agreed to a little less power over football decisions.

He would no longer the King. He would have still had a strong voice, maybe still the strongest. Just not the only voice.

He didn't want other voices because, lets face it, the guy sounded like a doofus.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
What I do know is that often times corporations feed the press what they want them to hear. They disseminate a message via the press they feel is the most palatable for their customer base. In case you missed it, I didn't conjure up other possibilities although many others certainly do exist.

I've never been one who buys the company line at face value because I'm not one to sit and be spoon fed the meal others wish to feed me at face value. That tactic has served me well over the course of my life.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I believe the statement. If you choose to conjure up other possibilities, that's on you.

I believe the statement and Dorsey could be here had he agreed to a little less power over football decisions.

He would no longer the King. He would have still had a strong voice, maybe still the strongest. Just not the only voice.

He didn't want other voices because, lets face it, the guy sounded like a doofus.

The timeline of events that led up to Dorsey leaving is very very believable. I also wouldn't be surprised if Haslam et al knew what Dorsey's response would be when presented with a lesser role, and went ahead with the plan anyway.

All believable.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
It seems like Haslam said, "We want to keep you for player evaluation purposes, but you have to cede almost all of your power in the organization", and Dorsey said, "Nope, not what my contract says".

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
With as many coaches as Haslam pays at the same time, we know how well he has managed to keep his end of contracts.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
With as many coaches as Haslam pays at the same time, we know how well he has managed to keep his end of contracts.

He has. I don't think he has been sued for breach of contract.

In fairness to you, it was a split Jimmy figured would happen as one other poster pointed out...oober I think.

Jimmy can structure things any way he sees fit. John would have still been the GM, but some of his purview was going to change. It is obvious he wasn't going to lead the coaching search and probably wasn't going to be the new coaches direct supervisor. After that, probably not much different.

This way they agree to make a split. Jimmy didn't fire the guy, requiring him to pay the contract in full, and John didn't quite, thus terminating the contract.

The sides got together and worked out a contract settlement.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's obvious they came to a settlement. Everything else is conjecture.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's obvious they came to a settlement. Everything else is conjecture.

Ok....you agree. Earlier you were talking about not buying the company line when I posed that Dorsey wasn't fired.

A settlement wouldn't have happened if he had.

Then I stood up for you because even though Dorsey wasn't fired, his arm was twisted to the point of...ok, lets talk..

At least for me, I wasn't in on the discussions, so I might be way off base. I don't think so, but I could be.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns GM search

Link Copied to Clipboard