Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:
I don't see a candidate on the list with the qualifications to make such a call other than McCarthy and if they let some NFL OC or DC make such a decision it's a recipe for disaster.

Haslam said he didn't want a HC and GM having a prearranged or forced marriage. Everything I hear about Stefansky is they would more than likely bring back Berry.

Is that not considered a prearranged marriage ? Like you stated who really could Stefansky bring in as his GM candidate... Pat Shurmur ? Just being sarcastic there.

Its always sounded to me like that is the allure of Stefanski. He can probably work with anyone. Ego issues seem to be well down the list of concerns.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's my biggest concern as of now in this process. I understand how landing a proven NFL HC it would be smart to give some control over who the GM would be. In the case of McCarthy he is a proven winner and knows what it takes to build a team he needs to accomplish winning. He has most certainly earned the right to have that sort of input.

He has connections around the league and the resume' to attract quality GM candidates to work with him.

Once you get below that level of success, then one has to begin to question the experience of a candidate to make such a decision. It makes you wonder if they can actually attract a top GM candidate to work with them.

I don't think it's wise to move forward with both a HC and GM with limited experience at their respective jobs. And unless a HC has the experience to know what it takes to have a winning roster, the idea of using guess work to accomplish that same goal concerns me.

Respect is earned not given. Giving away such power to someone who has yet to earn that respect is a dangerous endeavour.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Saleh is my top choice of those that have interviews scheduled.

On More Sports with Les Levine they mentioned something about Haslam leaving the McCarthy interview to go give a press conference and pointed out that that doesn't bode well for candidate when the owner" leaves in the middle of the interview to get lunch"

Last edited by Jester; 01/04/20 01:17 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I fear when it all shakes out we will again be sucking hind teet. Taking the inexperienced guy and saying what a great result we've gotten from our diligent search.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
I fear when it all shakes out we will again be sucking hind teet. Taking the inexperienced guy and saying what a great result we've gotten from our diligent search.

This is my fear as well.

I've heard conflicting reports on McCarthy's interview, but one thing I read is the Browns are leery of such an old school coach being able to change its stripes and adopt more analytics. Then you have Jimmy taking a break from the interview to do a presser. Oy vey. They make it so complicated.

It's a good thing their idiot son-in-law is a part of the process though. That should guarantee good results.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You have Dallas and the NYG searching for coaching. Those are top notch jobs! Hard to get more prestigious. Regardless of our roster coaching those two organizations probably trump the Browns position.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think some of that will rest on what a guy like McCarthy thinks of Mayfield and the cap room of the perspective teams. Turning the Browns around has to be a tempting challenge to almost anyone confident in their abilities.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You'd certainly be the King of Cleveland and loved forever. Look at Kosar and he never really achieved anything monumental.

C
Legend
Legend
C

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:
I don't see a candidate on the list with the qualifications to make such a call other than McCarthy and if they let some NFL OC or DC make such a decision it's a recipe for disaster.

Haslam said he didn't want a HC and GM having a prearranged or forced marriage. Everything I hear about Stefansky is they would more than likely bring back Berry.

Is that not considered a prearranged marriage ? Like you stated who really could Stefansky bring in as his GM candidate... Pat Shurmur ? Just being sarcastic there.

Its always sounded to me like that is the allure of Stefanski. He can probably work with anyone. Ego issues seem to be well down the list of concerns.

everyone said that about Freddie "ah shucks" kitchens.. The head chair changes people

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Quote:

everyone said that about Freddie "ah shucks" kitchens.. The head chair changes people

If you listen to each of them talk I cant imagine you come away with the feeling that Kitchens and Stefanski are the same guy.

L
Legend
Legend
L
when freddie as an OC..yeah..they are very similar. The seems affable and easy going. True stefanski sounds a whole lot smarter. But an alabama accent doesn't help anyone. Just saying Freddie didn't seem ego driven as an OC. This isn't saying I dont like Stefanski, he's actually the guy I want if we don't get McCarthy and we go coordinator. If we get Stefanski and we are successful next year..Dorsey will have lost TONS of credibility in the league. I would double any team that relies on advance statistics and analysis won't touch him with a 10 ft. pole

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I don't know if the Browns were somehow forced to protect freddie from being poached away by another team looking for a HC or not...but in hindsight, Freddie was not prepared to be a HC.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Sometimes it takes the experience to figure it out. Unfortunately it seems that people within the Browns organization knew last year and still went with Kitchens.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:

Sometimes it takes the experience to figure it out. Unfortunately it seems that people within the Browns organization knew last year and still went with Kitchens.

for sure, which is why the guy that wanted stefanski is still here and the guy who wanted kitchens is gone..lol

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:

for sure, which is why the guy that wanted stefanski is still here and the guy who wanted kitchens is gone..lol

Maybe Baker knew?

(This is a joke.)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He probably wasn't joking knowing we know now...

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Maybe Baker knew?

(This is a joke.)

That was from 2018, and yes, it was a joke.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Amazed at any Dawg can trust a Haslam approach to any process , been so successful since 2013 !

He wants a winner in Cleveland ... check
He will put in the time and work ... check
He will spend the money ... Check

But the result's are ??

Legend
Legend

I read somewhere that were a couple of guys currently with the Packers that would be considered.

McCarthy if he is their guy and they are willing to accept his recommendation for a GM. Hey, I'm all for it. McCarthy would be a guy that would have the league contacts and would know people he would work well with.

Maybe he would like Andrew Berry?

For my money McCarthy is the guy.

Would he accept the position with other opportunities?

The guy I am the most concerned about is McDaniels. For some reason I am just uncomfortable with him. I don't see him as a leader. He may well have a good offensive mind. He could be a great play caller, game manager etc. But I am not sold on him as a head coach. I fear him and the whole New England mystique. Just because you worked for Belichick doesn't mean you can be him. But he represents the whole idea that NE success can be recreated. Which I am sure attracts Haslam.

Stefanski and Andrew Berry? I could see that. Not my first choice but I could see that happening.

P
Legend
Legend
P
After all these years I have to say that I'm skeptical and jaded in terms of new HC hires. I'm not really on board with anyone other than McCarthy.

That doesn't mean that things won't change. But it has become what I consider a silly exercise researching all of these candidates when we often get someone hired out of left field that has no qualifications or is close to last on the list of who people think will be hired.

I didn't think Freddie had a chance in hell of being hired. I mean why? He had only been an NFL OC for six months?

So no, McCarthy is the only guy on the list who I feel is qualified to take on this mess. The talent is here but the attitude, dedication, devotion and will is sorely lacking. I'm not going to advocate the flavor of the month come in and tackle that.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Long but a good read, thanks for posting

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

The thing is the Haslams like Andrew Berry and I think he is a well spoken, sharp guy who knows scouting and understands what analytics brings.

This is where we have missed the boat. Haslam like analytics..he hired Sashi and Depo. Then he hired Hue, who didn't buy in to the plan. It didn't work.

Then he hired a strong Football guy who came in like everybody else was a POS, which is ok until he hired a nimrod as the coach.

Hire a coach who buys in to an analytical approach as a option, the bring in a GM who the coach agrees fits what he wants, and the GM is a football guy, which Berry is, he's just open to a guy like Depo offering input. Then the two work together with Depo and everything is groovy.

I think Dorsey ran Depo out of a more full time position in Cleveland....plus, what he does can be done anywhere. He can do his thing, he can be in Cleveland the next day if necessary, and present his input. People work from remote locations all over the world. It's not Depo or whoever has to punch a clock down at the plant....and that is no knock on people who punch clocks. I have punched plenty of clocks in my younger years. My Dad did until he and his partner started their own fabrication business. They had about 125 machinists, pipefitters, and welders, plus some shop help and front office help who did. Shop help was receiving, shipping, general labor, and clean-up, of which I was one of all starting at 14-15. The 6-8 engineers, 3-4 draftsmen, and office manager were salaried. There may have been a few other senior project managers on salary.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

The orc chart all leads to Haslam.

He may not call plays, or make picks in the draft but he is there. Always watching. Poking around. Asking questions.

He creates an atmosphere that makes people guarded. His past moves have to be viewed as "knee jerk and sneaky." Perception outside has to be "you can't trust the guy."

That will be a problem in this hiring process.

The Giants don't have that. The Panthers? Cowboys have stuck with Garrett a long time. The team has talent.

I am not optimistic about the Browns in this process.

We end up with a guy like Daboll, Bieniemy, Roman, or Saleh you can bet we were turned down.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: bonefish

The orc chart all leads to Haslam.

He may not call plays, or make picks in the draft but he is there. Always watching. Poking around. Asking questions.

He creates an atmosphere that makes people guarded. His past moves have to be viewed as "knee jerk and sneaky." Perception outside has to be "you can't trust the guy."

That will be a problem in this hiring process.

The Giants don't have that. The Panthers? Cowboys have stuck with Garrett a long time. The team has talent.

I am not optimistic about the Browns in this process.

We end up with a guy like Daboll, Bieniemy, Roman, or Saleh you can bet we were turned down.

Me not that kind of orc...lol see who gets the ref

Legend
Legend
Something just tells me that as bad as we want a have a guy who has previous HC experience.. we're gonna go a different direction. Just a gut feeling.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Something just tells me that as bad as we want a have a guy who has previous HC experience.. we're gonna go a different direction. Just a gut feeling.

I’m hoping that it’s just gas.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Hoping that this, too, shall pass. I would like to make sure we aren't waiting for learning curves somewhere over the rainbow in the middle of Lake Erie.
I would like to see us have traditional success first, HC, OC calling, DC calling and then we can get crappy stupid experimental later. Just the "New NFL Normal" for a change.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Jc

Can anyone else potentially see a disaster of a marriage between McDaniels and mayfield?

I just don’t know.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Jc

Can anyone else potentially see a disaster of a marriage between McDaniels and mayfield?

I just don’t know.

I can envision a disaster with McDaniels and (whatever you want to put here).

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Jc

I just don’t know.

The Patriots wanted Baker before the draft. We hired Kitchens because he was Baker's buddy. Just hire the best person and see what happens.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Jc

I just don’t know.

I can’t say, personality-wise, but I think Mayfield would not only thrive in the Pats scheme, but would have a lot of the pressure off his shoulders to be the hero.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I think McDaniels would be able to Help Baker but doubt he will get the job.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Jc

I just don’t know.

I can envision a disaster with McDaniels and (whatever you want to put here).

This.

I just don't think McDaniels is the answer. I don't think he has it in him to get the players to rally around him. Similar to an Eric Mangini. Smart as heck, but just can't connect with people.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They will just hire another damn inexperienced head coach/mediocre coordinator!!

Go Bills!!!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Glw12
I think McDaniels would be able to Help Baker but doubt he will get the job.

I think all three of the perceived favorites (McCarthy, McDaniels, and Stefanski) will be able to help Baker. McCarthy has the credentials to develop a young QB, McDaniels knows how to adapt a scheme to best fit his personnel, and Stefanski puts players in the best position to succeed based on what they do well. All three are pretty good options.

We will end up with someone terrible.

Legend
Legend
I want a Marine Drill Sergeant like R. Lee Ermey. The OC/DC can set the game plan, I want a leader of men as HC.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I want Bozo the clown.

It seems rather apropos.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interested to hear how the Robert Saleh interview went today.
He's my top candidate.

Legend
Legend
Haslam needs to reach out to Leslie Frazier after watching this Bills game. I mentioned Frazier earlier... That man has his Defense playing HARD!!

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns HC Interviews

Link Copied to Clipboard