Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Hammer #1717296 01/06/20 12:54 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Hammer
and that would be Who????

Haven't you driven by Berea?! All Those winners swarming the doors to coach the Browns!

cfrs15 #1717297 01/06/20 12:55 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
We did not “fail” at anything, lead. You assume our team’s goal was to hire McCarthy. It was not.

If that's the case, it was a fail from the start.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1717307 01/06/20 01:02 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
We did not “fail” at anything, lead. You assume our team’s goal was to hire McCarthy. It was not.

If that's the case, it was a fail from the start.

If the goal was to not hire him, then yes, that is a fail. If we interviewed him and determined that we didn't want him, then no that is not a fail. That is just going through the process.

I would consider it a minor fail if we wanted him and then didn't get him. It's hard to call something a fail if the person just didn't choose you.

cfrs15 #1717316 01/06/20 01:07 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's true. If given the choices available, Cleveland would not have been my first choice.

But if Haslam decided not to hire McCarthy, it appears he's more concerned with being dazzled in the interview process than hiring a proven winner. Yes, I would call that too a fail.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1717317 01/06/20 01:08 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Sounds like Rhule to NYG to me

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Sounds like Rhule to NYG to me

I just think it's crazy that most of these guys have the same agency. That's some crazy good leverage.

PitDAWG #1717322 01/06/20 01:10 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
But if Haslam decided not to hire McCarthy, it appears he's more concerned with being dazzled in the interview process than hiring a proven winner.

Or McCarthy wasn't the right hire. Given his history I would not bet on Jimmy Haslam making the correct choice.

cfrs15 #1717324 01/06/20 01:11 PM
Legend
Legend
I agree .. that’s the way to do it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
cfrs15 #1717333 01/06/20 01:18 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
He probably wasn't the right choice for Haslam. He's won too many games and has a SB ring not to mention all the playoff wins and appearances. Haslam wouldn't want that guy because he probably didn't say all the right things.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1717335 01/06/20 01:20 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
He probably wasn't the right choice for Haslam. He's won too many games and has a SB ring not to mention all the playoff wins and appearances. Haslam wouldn't want that guy because he probably didn't say all the right things.

McCarthy was/is definitely saying all the right things in the press. Also, shouldn't it be the goal of an interview to say all the right things? If McCarthy didn't say all the right things in the interview isn't that a bad thing? Resume should be considered but if teams are hiring off resume alone then there would never be any first time head coaches and Brian Billick would getting interviewed for every job.

cfrs15 #1717342 01/06/20 01:26 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Doing the right things is more important than the ability of being able to dazzle in an interview. It's funny, over the past 20 years the Cowboys have been far more successful than the Browns. Yet Sashi was great and McCarthy was right for the Cowboys but wrong for us. Success means nothing if you don't dazzle Haslam in the interview.

Only in Cleveland can people make up that kind of BS.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1717350 01/06/20 01:30 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Exactly. McDaniels was a proven head coach with a SB ring and more than likely would have been fine having Wolf as the GM. No way the Browns wanted him. He knew what he was doing. That's why they had to get rid of Dorsey. Once they figured out he knew how to draft and bring in real talent he HAD to GO!

Haslam will hire a head coach that has never done it before. Then let that inexperienced coach hire his own GM. It will be a dumpster fire.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
PitDAWG #1717351 01/06/20 01:31 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Doing the right things is more important than the ability of being able to dazzle in an interview. It's funny, over the past 20 years the Cowboys have been far more successful than the Browns. Yet Sashi was great and McCarthy was right for the Cowboys but wrong for us. Success means nothing if you don't dazzle Haslam in the interview.

Mike McCarthy was just fired a year ago for, allegedly, not doing the right things (by a highly competent organization).

It is definitely possible that McCarthy was right for the Cowboys but not right for the Browns.

Haslam is a bad owner. He will probably get this wrong. We all have a sickness.

cfrs15 #1717352 01/06/20 01:33 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Rodgers pulled the plug on McCarthy. The team had to go with Rodgers or McCarthy. They chose to side with the disgruntled golden boy.

As a result the golden boys stats weren't any better this season.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1717355 01/06/20 01:36 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Rodgers pulled the plug on McCarthy. The team had to go with Rodgers or McCarthy. They chose to side with the disgruntled golden boy.

The team also went 6-10 with Aaron Rodgers at QB. That might be a fireable offense by itself.

If you are running an offense that your QB thinks is bad and doesn't suit him that is a bad thing, right? Isn't that what we just complained about all season with Freddie Kitchens?

PitDAWG #1717357 01/06/20 01:36 PM
Legend
Legend
yea but the teams record was.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
cfrs15 #1717359 01/06/20 01:37 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

McCarthy was/is definitely saying all the right things in the press. Also, shouldn't it be the goal of an interview to say all the right things? If McCarthy didn't say all the right things in the interview isn't that a bad thing? Resume should be considered but if teams are hiring off resume alone then there would never be any first time head coaches and Brian Billick would getting interviewed for every job.

I would have no problem with Brian Billick becoming the next HC of the Browns. At least he knows how to BE a HC and has a SB ring to prove it. I don't WANT yet another first-time head coach. We have been down that road too many times. I want a coach that has actually been there before! McCarthy was perfect and that's why we didn't hire him. We could have kept the front office mostly intact with Wolf as GM. Nope, couldn't have that. We need to find the least experienced HC and then let him hire his own yes man GM. That always works out so well. *snicker* As long as Haslam owns the Browns they will always be the leagues dumpster fire franchise.

cfrs15 #1717363 01/06/20 01:41 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The team also went 6-10 with Aaron Rodgers at QB. That might be a fireable offense by itself.

If you are running an offense that your QB thinks is bad and doesn't suit him that is a bad thing, right? Isn't that what we just complained about all season with Freddie Kitchens?

You mean the same offense that same QB won many many games in and won a SB in? The WCO that has dominated the league for 40 years or so? That offense? How can you even compare that with what Kitchens ran this year? McCarthy's offense had a winning record over time. They always scored a lot. Their problem was always on the D side.

slick #1717364 01/06/20 01:42 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: slick
My guess is that Mike McCarthy was never under serious consideration.

Which is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. Superbowl winning coach. Multiple division titles, but yeah, let's hire McDaniels instead, who has a history of belittling his players and will probably switch us to a 3-4 defense which we dont really have the personel for
You realize we cant force him to work here right? You act like the Browns didn't have a conversation with him, or offered him the job. We don't know. He very well could have grown up to be a Cowboys fan and took his dream position. We don't know. Sheesh.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I don't know why I bother but:

Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
I would have no problem with Brian Billick becoming the next HC of the Browns. At least he knows how to BE a HC and has a SB ring to prove it.

I literally thought of you when I typed that named. Good to see we are on the same wavelength.

I don't WANT yet another first-time head coach. We have been down that road too many times.

I just want the coach that is best for the job.

I want a coach that has actually been there before!

Hue Jackson is available!

McCarthy was perfect and that's why we didn't hire him.

So you're saying the team is intentionally not hiring people because they are too good for the job. Interesting strategy. I wouldn't put it past Jimmy Haslam though.

We could have kept the front office mostly intact with Wolf as GM.

We need to find the least experienced HC

I didn't know you applied for the job?!?!?!

and then let him hire his own yes man GM. That always works out so well.

Again, current coaches in the NFL hired before the GM was hired:

Pete Carroll
Sean McDermott
Andy Reid
Jon Gruden
Kyle Shanahan (Lynch was technically hired first but Shanahan picked him)
Ron Rivera

*snicker* As long as Haslam owns the Browns they will always be the leagues dumpster fire franchise.

You're right. But here we are.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

You mean the same offense that same QB won many many games in and won a SB in? The WCO that has dominated the league for 40 years or so? That offense? How can you even compare that with what Kitchens ran this year? McCarthy's offense had a winning record over time. They always scored a lot. Their problem was always on the D side.

My only point was that not catering your offense to what your QB thinks he is good at might be a bad thing.

cfrs15 #1717384 01/06/20 02:04 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

Mike McCarthy was just fired a year ago for, allegedly, not doing the right things (by a highly competent organization).

It is definitely possible that McCarthy was right for the Cowboys but not right for the Browns.

Haslam is a bad owner. He will probably get this wrong. We all have a sickness.

McCarthy was also interviewed by Carolina (twice) and NYG and neither of those franchises offered him the HC job either.

It wasn't until he and Jerry had a pajama party that he was offered a job.

McCarthy was the perceived safe hire after the scars left by Freddie Kitchens.

From the B/R Magazine article...

Many believe Rodgers, the QB with the best career passer rating (103.1) in NFL history, was 100 percent justified in overruling his coach's play calls, and that the Packers would've deteriorated more precipitously if he hadn't put that cape on. The personnel man says the Packers' passing offense was essentially "Get open" and that they basically ran the same routes for seven years straight, to the point where division rivals "constantly" called out plays pre-snap and jumped routes.

No wonder the slant route, once so lethal, went extinct.

Where were the route combinations? The motion? The misdirection? "It's like, 'Dude, you have to adjust! The league changes!'" the personnel man says. "You've got to be humble enough to follow it. If you can't adapt, you die. He definitely didn't adapt. You can't run 90 back-shoulders into coverage. I don't care who you are. Things got so stale."

Rodgers had no choice but to seize control, and each year, he took more.

That ridiculous throw to Jared Cook in the playoffs in 2017? Drawn up in the huddle. Rodgers told an uncovered guard to pull out with him, that he'd bait in a defender and dash left.

cfrs15 #1717388 01/06/20 02:06 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M

My only point was that not catering your offense to what your QB thinks he is good at might be a bad thing.

Again, from the B/R Magazine article "What Happened in Green Bay"...

"His No. 1 job, and Mike always missed this point, is to manage Aaron," the former teammate says. "That's your driver. That's your engine. Aaron's your engine for the whole team. Whether you want to or don't want to, you have to make sure that guy's happy. At the end of the day—and it doesn't sound like a fun job—if he's happy, you're winning.

Milk Man #1717390 01/06/20 02:08 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

"His No. 1 job, and Mike always missed this point, is to manage Aaron," the former teammate says. "That's your driver. That's your engine. Aaron's your engine for the whole team. Whether you want to or don't want to, you have to make sure that guy's happy. At the end of the day—and it doesn't sound like a fun job—if he's happy, you're winning.

thats ridiculous...thats a selfish player and thats not MM job to massage his ridiculous ego, his job is to get team in the best position to win..AR obviously doesn't care much about the team

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

thats ridiculous...thats a selfish player and thats not MM job to massage his ridiculous ego, his job is to get team in the best position to win..AR obviously doesn't care much about the team

Reading the entire article, AR definitely comes across as a overly sensitive, pain in the ass, but at the end of the day, the team goes as AR goes.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: slick
My guess is that Mike McCarthy was never under serious consideration.

Which is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. Superbowl winning coach. Multiple division titles, but yeah, let's hire McDaniels instead, who has a history of belittling his players and will probably switch us to a 3-4 defense which we dont really have the personel for
You realize we cant force him to work here right? You act like the Browns didn't have a conversation with him, or offered him the job. We don't know. He very well could have grown up to be a Cowboys fan and took his dream position. We don't know. Sheesh.

McCarthy was actually born and raised in Pittsburgh as a Steelers fan. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McCarthy_(American_football)#Early_life_and_playing_career

Make of it what you wish.

cfrs15 #1717420 01/06/20 02:27 PM
All Pro
All Pro
So. Just asking did not read the thread. Dallas got McCarthy... Did they satisfy the Rooney rule? I am a little bitter that now we are left with a bunch of unproven coordinators again....

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Yes they did-- the Cowboys interviewed Marvin Lewis.

Haus #1717424 01/06/20 02:32 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Ahah. Thanks.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
cfrs15 #1717427 01/06/20 02:35 PM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I always find it funny that when we don’t get a player or coach, it’s the Browns failing. What if, by chance, the Cowboys made him a bigger offer for a longer deal? Or he doesn’t like the climate here? Or he doesn’t like the city as much? Or the fishing is better?

We can never know, but we sure can bitch.

Haus #1717430 01/06/20 02:37 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Haus

Most definitely. Ouch...

Milk Man #1717432 01/06/20 02:38 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Haus

Most definitely. Ouch...

Sometimes it's just that simple.

Tackles are tackles.
Swish #1717433 01/06/20 02:40 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Swish
yea but the teams record was.

Problem is that Rodgers was talking about his production and the run game. Rushing attempts actually dropped this year and Rodgers faired no better.

#gmstrong
Hamfist #1717434 01/06/20 02:41 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm sure everyone realizes this, but I'll say it anyway.

There are a lot of people on this board, and just about as many different opinions. It's easy to lump posts/opinions together and it sounds like everyone is whining about everything.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hamfist #1717436 01/06/20 02:42 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
We can never know, but we sure can bitch.

With all of the great coaching talent brought in over the past 20 yesrs, why would we do that?

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1717441 01/06/20 02:49 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
But if Haslam decided not to hire McCarthy, it appears he's more concerned with being dazzled in the interview process than hiring a proven winner.

Or McCarthy wasn't the right hire. Given his history I would not bet on Jimmy Haslam making the correct choice.

The odds greatly favor the blind squirrel at this point ... thumbsup

DiamDawg #1717444 01/06/20 02:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Or the homeless guy.......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Or the homeless guy.......

Look at the upside.

We can finally quit saying things like, they've Browned it up again,

to,

he's just Joshing you.

#GMSTRONG
cfrs15 #1717449 01/06/20 02:55 PM
Legend
Legend
Hue brings another one down lol

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Coaching news

Link Copied to Clipboard