Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I am only being slightly facetious when I say the Haslams proved they are more patient than any other owners when they gave Hue Jackson two-and-a-half years to win three games. Would anyone else have waited longer to can him?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: The Big G
I am only being slightly facetious when I say the Haslams proved they are more patient than any other owners when they gave Hue Jackson two-and-a-half years to win three games. Would anyone else have waited longer to can him?

There was already the perception (and reality) that Haslam hired and fired too quickly before Hue got here. And then yes, Haslam was more than patient/too patient with Hue. It's still baffling that he got a third season.

If there was a positive that came out of all of that, it was that we could say look, "This guy was 1-31 and we still gave him a third season!"

Then we use that goodwill, and all the young talent on the team and hire... Freddie Kitchens, then fire him after one season. banghead

Maybe Freddie had to go but coaches still look in and say the guy only got one year. That counts for something.

Haus #1717808 01/07/20 11:39 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Which leads to another point:

Do we hire the wrong coaches, or fire too quickly? A little bit of both? A lot of both?

I tend to think the main problem is that the Haslams have simply done a lousy job of hiring key people. But they're not all bad. There are secondary problems of firing too quickly, and other organizational issues that are generally outside the head coach's control, which makes coaches seem more disorganized than they actually are.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

If I am the Giants, I am giving McD a very large contract, and saying "hey, look at how many guys Cleveland still has to interview. There is still a chance they look you over. You can wait for them to make you an offer, but we will not wait. You either take our offer now - or hope Cleveland hires you over the 8 other guys they have left to talk too."

Sadly, I see Cleveland getting our 3rd choice again.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Sounds like McCarthy will be going to Dallas
I should've known McCarthy wasn't going to the Browns once Dorsey was fired, resigned, released, whatever happened.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

If I am the Giants, I am giving McD a very large contract, and saying "hey, look at how many guys Cleveland still has to interview. There is still a chance they look you over. You can wait for them to make you an offer, but we will not wait. You either take our offer now - or hope Cleveland hires you over the 8 other guys they have left to talk too."

Sadly, I see Cleveland getting our 3rd choice again.
Yep, I don't see any big names wanting to get in the middle of this mess.

Haus #1717824 01/07/20 11:54 AM
Legend
Legend
I believe that Jimmy Haslam is the biggest problem. Do they hire the wrong people? Maybe. Does he create an atmosphere inside Browns headquarters that is poisonous to any hope of success? Yes he does.

When you start pitting people against each other, who should be working together, don't be surprised when it falls apart quickly. This has been Haslam's methodology since he took over the team. 5 or 6 GMs and 5 or 6 head coaches ..... if you threw darts to pick people to run the team, and left them alone to do their jobs you'd get better results.

He has the worst winning percentage of any major sports team owner since Ted Stepien. No, wait, Stepien's winning percentage is actually better than Haslam's. Think about that for a minute.

I wonder if we will have a "Haslam rule" some day .... like we have a "Stepien rule"?

Haslam's going to hire a quality candidate .... and destroy him.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 01/07/20 11:54 AM. Reason: clarify

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll just take a wait and see approach.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Number one; I am convinced that Jimmy doesn't allow Mirror's in this home , and all he wants are Bright Shiny New Toys !

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

With the Browns the only remianing HC opening, they can patiently wait for Stefanski or Saleh if they choose and McDaniels lost any leverage he may have had to rush a hire.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

With the Browns the only remianing HC opening, they can patiently wait for Stefanski or Saleh if they choose and McDaniels lost any leverage he may have had to rush a hire.

Well it's not like he would be out of a job.

[Linked Image]

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Why not Jason Garret? ...Just saying

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
j/c...

With the Browns the only remaining HC opening, they can patiently wait for Stefanski or Saleh if they choose and McDaniels lost any leverage he may have had to rush a hire.

Well it's not like he would be out of a job.

He sure would be out of a HC job though.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Actually, McDaniels doesn't have to take the Browns job...he wasn't fired...still has the Patriots job.

Last edited by mac; 01/07/20 12:33 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1717878 01/07/20 12:36 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac
j/c...

Actually, McDaniels doesn't have to take the Browns job...he wasn't fired...still has the Patriots job.

Obviously. If he wants a HC job, however, he's lost leverage.

If he just likes being flirted with, yes, he'll always have NE.

Legend
Legend
What if stefanski doesn’t want to come here either?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1717901 01/07/20 12:53 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Crazy stuff.
Does DePo stay or go? Does he REALLY give a crap whether he stays or goes?

Is Stefanski feeling like a jilted bride

https://factoryofsadness.co/2020/01/07/cleveland-browns-rumors-mcdaniels-wants-job-depodesta-will-gone/amp/#aoh=15784158723258&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

Annnnd the link is poop.
☰

Cleveland Browns rumors: If McDaniels wants job, DePodesta not a road block
by Nick Dudukovich3h ago
Around the rumor mill, Paul DePodesta won’t get in the way of the Haslams hiring Josh McDaniels as the Cleveland Browns next coach.
The Cleveland Browns are into the thick of their coaching search, losing out on the first candidate they interviewed, as Mike McCarthy took the job with Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

The Browns interviewed Bills’ coordinator Brian Daboll Monday, but all eyes are on Friday, when Cleveland is expected to hire Patriots’ offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. It’s no secret now, Tom Brady‘s play caller is the choice of Cleveland’s ownership.

With the owners in love with McDaniels, the hire seems like a slam dunk. You can see how it plays out: He arrives Friday and the Browns don’t let him leave.

There’s just one obstacle in the way–or not in the way, depending on how you look at it, and that’s Paul DePodesta, the team’s chief strategy officer.

It’s been rumored McDaniels won’t accept a job with DePodesta holding his current role. Of note, DePodesta’s contract is up soon, so his presence may not get in the way of the Haslams of getting the coach they’ve long coveted, according to TheLandonDemand’s Tony Grossi (2:43).

“The information i got over the weekend, was that, [DePodesta is] not going to impede Haslam from doing what he wants, from doing what he needs to do to get McDaniels.”

Awkward. Depodesta is one of the leading voice in the coaching search, but Grossi noted that this could be one of his last acts an employee of the Browns.

“If McDaniels tells Haslam, ‘Yeah, I’ll take the job if Paul is not involved,’ it will be done from what i’ve heard.”

RELATED PRODUCT
ODELL BECKHAM JR CLEVELAND BROWNS BILLBOARD BOBBLEHEAD
Buy Now!

ODELL BECKHAM JR CLEVELAND BROWNS BILLBOARD BOBBLEHEAD
The dynamic in the interview room come Friday promises to be intriguing because it seems like the Browns have to sell themselves on McDaniels, and not the other way around. It’s especially true for McDaniels. He’s got other options, and the Browns have to know it.

If McDaniels doesn’t take the job, it wouldn’t be surprising to hear DePodesta will get a new contract and keep his role, working from his home in La Jolla, Calif., while commenting to Cleveland on game days.

if McDaniels doesn’t take gig, it seems like Kevin Stefanski would become the favorite, as he was DePodesta’s preferred candidate last year. There could be a hiccup there, though, because Cleveland.com reported Stefanski carries hard feelings over finishing second to Freddie Kitchens.

NEXT: McDaniels is not the savior for the Browns
Happy coaching search, Cleveland! There’s always the Canadian Football League coach the Browns are reported to be talking to!

All Cleveland Sports logo
NEWSLETTER
All Cleveland Sports news from FanSided Daily
Enter your email address

APPS
NEWSLETTER
300+ SITES
ABOUT
PRIVACY
TERMS
©2020 FanSided. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 01/07/20 12:57 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
Would baker thrive under Eric Bieniemy?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
That sounds good to me. The waiting is maddening. Actually looking forward to moving on to the stage of arguing whether or not we got the right/wrong guy, and the rumor-articles about how the process in Berea is a joke.

Super pumped for the offseason... /sarcasm

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Poor Daboll, aka, Freddie Kitchen's twin, Schefty didn't even bother to list him.

Legend
Legend
]

Poor Daboll, aka, Freddie Kitchen's twin, Schefty didn't even bother to list him.

Don't you mean, "The next head coach of the Cleveland Browns"? wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
]

<Rushes to the 480 bridge>

Legend
Legend
McDaniels’ leverage is gone now, so if that was his plan it’s backfired ... now it’s on him. Stay in NE or take the jump.

I’d be wary of him TBH.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1717943 01/07/20 01:29 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Swish

He might.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

C
Legend
Legend
C

Swish #1717958 01/07/20 01:39 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Swish

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
]

<Rushes to the 480 bridge>

<follows>

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
The Browns organization is looking for a HC that can “lead, hold these guys accountable, install discipline...and we want him to be respected by these players more than anything,” per source.

So.....The Anti-Kitchens?

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I expect that if we do not announce our newest HC by Friday, then it would seem likely that our choice is Stefanski...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
I expect that if we do not announce our newest HC by Friday, then it would seem likely that our choice is Stefanski...

Why?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Why?

Because he has a playoff game this weekend.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Why?

Yes, but generally this will point to a hire regardless. I feel like we knew for weeks that Crennel was going to be our HC but we had to wait for an official announcment until after the Super Bowl.

These things tend to leak out. Whether or not it is a formal announcement is a different matter to me.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Why?

Yes, but generally this will point to a hire regardless. I feel like we knew for weeks that Crennel was going to be our HC but we had to wait for an official announcment until after the Super Bowl.

These things tend to leak out. Whether or not it is a formal announcement is a different matter to me.

Correct. It would leak that the Browns "plan to name Stefanski as their next HC."

B
Legend
Legend
B

Why?

I still don't see why it would point to him. Maybe we want to talk to all of our targets. None have been hired by other teams , may not have even interviewed.

Just because he was who Depo liked last year might not mean a thing this year. I read on one of the many tweets posted that the Browns aren't going to let past feelings cloud the process this year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

It'll leak, but based on your (assumed by me) reasoning, it could also mean Saleh or Bieniemy.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Once again, Haslam and his committee are proving that their process is a piece of crap. Successful teams take action when action is warranted. They don't sit around in endless committee meetings trying to figure out which end is up.

Haslam is bumbling, incompetent dumbass who thinks he is smarter than he is. The dumpster fire continues to burn in Cleveland. SMH

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
right - let's just hire the first coach interviewed. no due diligence. that is how we ended up with hubris and kitchens.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns HC search

Link Copied to Clipboard