DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: DeisleDawg Browns HC search - 01/05/20 08:43 PM
Confirmed Interviews

Ravens DC Greg Roman on January 2 (Rapoport)
Mike McCarthy on January 2 (Rapoport)
Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy on January 3 (Cleveland Browns)
49ers DC Robert Saleh on January 4 (Cleveland Browns)
Bills OC Brian Daboll on January 5 (Cleveland.com)
Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski the week of January 6 (Rapoport)
Patriots OC Josh McDaniels on January 10 (Rapoport)

link

This is from the Link that Peen posted in the first thread. This is a good link to follow..If you scroll down it also shows OC's ..DC's and GM interviews.

Looks like Daboll is being interviewed today and a possibility McDaniels will be soon.

Stefanski will be coming up also this week ..So far no confirmed date.

One thing I have been thinking is I'm not one to look in the past... I tend to live for the now not looking back and not looking to far forward..

I understand it is a tool to look at ones past for their failures and success. I posted some stats about Leslie Frazier when he was with the Vikings as HC. Hotbyoungturk said he thought the Browns should give him a look.. I replied no thanks.. But he replied he would like to see it.

Started making me think about how I like to think about things..I was looking in the past. Is that fair to anyone to think or judge someones abilities. It maybe the most likely tool or way to help bring some insight to a person..

The FO is giving Interviews for coaches for what they see now.. So using some of the past success and failures of a candidate maybe useful. But hopefully the past wont influence what they can do now.

All the candidates have a past and they also have a future. Time is now to find that one that will be in the future more than a season two or three.

I'm kind of impressed with what Stefansky is doing with Kirk Cousins.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:03 PM
It looks like Josh McDaniels and Brian Daboll are both going to be tomorrow (1/6).

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:04 PM
This seems significant:

Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:08 PM
So Josh is coming in tomorrow.. Thank you for that info.. I don't have twitter.

I know there is a Josh McDaniels thread going on.. I just don't want to lose sight on other interviews.
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:16 PM
J/C. I am most interested in seeing who these guys have established as their support staff. I think that is huge at this point based on the pieces we already have in place.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:19 PM
Great point.. That was something I was concerned about when Urbans name was mentioned. Could he put together a good staff.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Great point.. That was something I was concerned about when Urbans name was mentioned. Could he put together a good staff.

I don't care about the names just as long as the coach gets to hire his own people and works well with them.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:24 PM
I still wonder why the staff of the 18 season was let go..was that Freddie ? Because it seemed some were helpful toward the good second half of the season..
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:24 PM

I read somewhere that McDaniels is in place. Some of his guys stayed in Indy I guess.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:25 PM
Vikings win.. Good look for Stefanski
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:28 PM
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

I read somewhere that McDaniels is in place. Some of his guys stayed in Indy I guess.

In place? Whaaaa!
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:28 PM
Quote:

I doubt any of them leave Indy to follow him to Cleveland if that's the scenario.

I wonder who the new staff guys are .
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
[quote=DeisleDawg]Great point.. That was something I was concerned about when Urbans name was mentioned. Could he put together a good staff.

In place? Whaaaa!

All these guys are ready or nearly ready to roll.
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:31 PM
Love Kyle Rudolph, wouldn't mind seeing him here. Heard Charlie Weis say that the Pats tried to trade for him in the offseason. If we get Mcdaniels, that could be in the cards.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:33 PM
Cincinnati boy....
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:53 PM
I think we’re waiting to sign Depo until the HC/GM also sign ... make them united
Posted By: BADdog Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 09:54 PM
Ravens OC Greg Roman on January 2 (Rapoport)
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/05/20 10:13 PM
Quote:
I think we’re waiting to sign Depo until the HC/GM also sign ... make them united

That is defiantly crazy .. That a coincidence ? maybe a sign of good things to come.. Glad cfrs posted that.
Posted By: BarkinMad Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 01:32 AM
I like any of the following, Bienemy, Roman, Stefanski, McCarthy, Daboll,
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 01:51 AM
I will let Jimmy know.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 02:49 AM
Quote:
I like any of the following, Bienemy, Roman, Stefanski, McCarthy, Daboll,

Roman... Haus pointed out in the previous thread that Romans success is partly due to he normally works with mobil QB's...

Quote:
His offensive reputation is built around thriving with mobile passers like Colin Kaepernick, Tyrod Taylor and now Lamar Jackson.
link

Not sure if that would be a good fit with Baker.

Dabol: After watching the Bills game yesterday it felt to much like watching a Browns game... I wasn't real impressed with the play calls.. Not sure..but I would love to see another look on Offense then the one we saw this past season and the one that the Bills put out on the field yesterday.

McCarthy : His resume speaks for itself.. Not sure where I read it.. It was said the Browns would rather go in another direction then a old school Coach.. not sure if that's true or not..But old school sure has a nice win / loss percentage... I consider Andy Reid and Bill Belichick old school...

Bienemy : Pretty much all I know is that he would probably be a HC that would like to run the ball... Being a RB's coach for KC for 5 yrs...

Stefanski : Was really impressed today with what he is doing with Cousins.... Can he carry that over to helping with Baker ?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 02:57 AM
"In 2009, Daboll joined Eric Mangini's staff in Cleveland as offensive coordinator. Under Daboll the Browns had the NFL's 32nd ranked offense in 2009[1] and the 29th ranked offense in 2010."

Wiki Link for Brian Daboll

There's a reason it looked like a bad Browns offense... .he IS a bad Browns offense.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 03:01 AM
No Kidding... Good info.. Thank you!
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 03:24 AM
Some of these interviews feel like a waste of time under the guise of doing due diligence. Daboll, Bieniemy, Saleh. None are even close to being a legit option. Two me there are only two. McCarthy and stefanski
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 03:32 AM
I use to feel that way... then I watched Tennessee beat NE yesterday.. I was like how did they pick Mike Vrabel ?
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 07:07 AM
With regards to who the Browns select, I really don't have an informed opinion. Like most folks, I know things written about the various options, but I don't have enough info to make an informed opinion. I must rely on the folks in Berea to make the right choice. Of course they have the worst possible history of doing that.

It seems McCarthy and McDaniels are the top prospects, not just around here, but around the league. What I've heard positive about McCarthy is that he's a proven winner with the most experience of the group. He knows how to motivate players to be a winning team. The negative that I've heard is that the game has passed him by, that he was fired from GB because he was holding the team back and Aaron Rogers was changing half of his play calls. I don't know if any of that is true.

About McDaniels the arguments for is that he is BB's best protege, the one most likely to match Bill's mastery of the game. He had a bad stint in Denver, but has learned the lessons from that experience and is ready to do better the 2nd time around. The negatives are that Bill's assistants don't do well because it's all Bill and Tom, everyone else there are just part of the framework who don't do well out of the structure in NE. It's also said that Josh is not a people person and will have difficulty relating with the players and getting them to buy in. (As if Bill is successful because he's all warm and fuzzy.) What happened in Indy is a concern, but someone pointed out that Luck injuries changed the landscape there.

The rest of the group are guys with no HC experience. Any one of them could be the next Sean McVay or the next Freddie Kitchens. Again, I don't know enough about any of them to have an informed opinion.

In the end, all I can do is to trust the people in Berea and hope that they can FINALLY pick the right option, and that that person, in turn, takes the job.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 07:22 AM
really good summary!

I think we have to consider that Jason Garrett may now be in the mix.

Not sure if it's good or bad? I always think he looks like he is going to start crying on the sideline. Aside from that, I don't really know much about him.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 07:34 AM
I think we should interview Garret. I feel that he has been a winner, in Spite of Jerry Jones. He has known how to use Zeke, as well as Romo and Dak. Say what you want, Jones does not draw up the plays or co-ordinate the offense or defense (even though he often acts as though he does). Garret has a winning record and is worth a look see.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 10:27 AM
I think he’ll take a year off like McCarthy. Repair some image, learn/take time to reflect .. and then go after a job next year (Chicago, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, LA Chargers, Denver will all be looking)
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 10:44 AM
This is the link for the Coaches tracker... Not sure whats wrong with the first one I posted. This is the one Peen posted in the locked thread.

https://profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-head-coach-interview-hire-tracker-news-rumors/
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 12:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
I think we should interview Garret... worth a look see.

Agreed! For some reason, I feel more 'comfortable' with him as our HC than any of the other candidates...
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 12:45 PM
I hope we didn't pass on McCarthy for an interview with McDaniels.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

That is my worry as well ..
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 12:53 PM

You could have made him an offer and they may have but I doubt it'd stop him from doing his due diligence. He's looking at every option and interviewing his potential employer just as they are him.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 01:13 PM

You could have made him an offer and they may have but I doubt it'd stop him from doing his due diligence. He's looking at every option and interviewing his potential employer just as they are him.

I have interviewed for positions, and done interviewing .. any interview is a two way street, both parties determine if there is a fit or not. Usually, if it feels right, both parties know.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 01:45 PM
Daboll or Roman would be such a Haslam hire.
Posted By: BpG Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 01:49 PM
Question.

Is Scot McCloughan still involved in our football operations?
Posted By: Demo44 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 01:50 PM
How do we feel about Rod Marinelli as a possible D coordinator?
Posted By: ThomasE Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 02:01 PM
as of last march, no: https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/..._14819_28542362
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 02:10 PM
Sounds like McCarthy will be going to Dallas
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
really good summary!

I think we have to consider that Jason Garrett may now be in the mix.

Not sure if it's good or bad? I always think he looks like he is going to start crying on the sideline. Aside from that, I don't really know much about him.

Jason Garrett won’t get any interviews. He’s bad.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: BpG
Question.

He is buddies with Dorsey so I would guess no.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: BpG
Question.

He is buddies with Dorsey so I would guess no.

I think he was only here for the 2018 draft. Not 100% sure.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 02:30 PM
Hope no interviews with us. Has that "JerryJ" taint all over him.

Any chance we hire more than one of these candidates?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 03:56 PM
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 03:58 PM
In tomorrow morning's paper the headline reads...

Carolina signs McDaniels, Haslem slower Dials Mangini's Cell Number.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 04:17 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I'd say that it's odds on that McDaniels will get the job. Hope to god he's better than I expect. At least my expectations will be rock bottom and I won't get crushed again like this year.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 04:32 PM
Wonder if haslam will bring his McDaniels autographed poster and blow up doll to the interview. I much rather go with a guy like Stefanski
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 04:44 PM
At least 1) He's stated he'd like to be here and likes our QB and 2) Is most likely coming in highly motivated.

Wasn't my first choice but he does know football. This things going to have to be given time.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 04:49 PM
It doesn't matter. Haslem will continue to create his infamous poisonous atmosphere in Berea, and we'll be looking for a new Head Coach or GM in a couple of years.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 04:49 PM
Tons of guys know football...they are called position coaches and coordinators. The biggest attribute a HC can have the ability to lead, galvanize, and instill discipline and culture. That's not McD
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 04:51 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Swish Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 04:53 PM
imma be so pissed if we end up with brian daboll.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 04:54 PM
it would be the most Haslam move ever, hiring Daboll..probably the least qualified of any of candidates.. FK 2.0
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Tons of guys know football...they are called position coaches and coordinators. The biggest attribute a HC can have the ability to lead, galvanize, and instill discipline and culture. That's not McD

Robert Saleh?
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish

I'm still trying to figure this one out. Why interview Daboll?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:09 PM

Robert Saleh?

Could be...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

He is the offensive coordinator of the team that turned Josh Allen from a joke into a semi-competent QB.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:15 PM
Saleh would be better than Daboll IMO
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Saleh would be better than Daboll IMO

Saleh seems like a very good leader in the mold of Mike Vrabel or Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh. They obviously know football but you are hiring them because of their leadership skills not because they are an Xs and Os genius. With that said, if you have a coach like that you better have very good coordinators and assistant coaches.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:36 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

All three names in the above Tweet can be good choices. It's also smart to go into a process without a predetermined outcome and allow yourself to be swayed.

Haslam will screw it up.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:45 PM
cfrs, what's your preferred hire if you have one?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:48 PM
The crappy part about all this is that we have to sit and wait for the Vikings to lose in order to wrap up all of our 1st tier interviews. Here's to hoping this is a quiet week regarding coaching hires, though I doubt it with the first hire just happening. Dominos could start falling.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:52 PM

1. McDaniels
2. Stefanski

3. Saleh

All three can be good.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
The crappy part about all this is that we have to sit and wait for the Vikings to lose in order to wrap up all of our 1st tier interviews. Here's to hoping this is a quiet week regarding coaching hires, though I doubt it with the first hire just happening. Dominos could start falling.

At least we interviewed Stefanski last year so we know a lot about him. If someone else jumps off the page then you can hire him knowing basically who Stefanski is. Hopefully we can get an interview in with him sometime this week.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 05:54 PM

At least we interviewed Stefanski last year so we know a lot about him. If someone else jumps off the page then you can hire him knowing basically who Stefanski is. Hopefully we can get an interview in with him sometime this week.

Good call. Forgot about that.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 06:06 PM

1. McDaniels
2. Stefanski

3. Saleh

All three can be good.

I'm sorta in the same boat. I essentially have McD & Stefanski on the same level and everyone else grouped together after that. Concerns about both for but for completely different reasons but both seem to be proponents of analytics. If a gun was to my head, I'd pick Stefanski over McD.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 06:09 PM
McD is last on my list of those 3, atleast the other two have been successful without the Brady and BB umbrella.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 06:23 PM
McD is LAST on my list. I would take Daboll and Bienemy(sp) over him.

My list from the beginning has been Roman and Saleh. I added Stefanski to that list with great ease as I learned more about him.

If it is one of those 3, I will be happy. I will be looking forward to the start of things.

I have zero confidence in McD.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 06:25 PM
I am on the Robert Saleh bandwagon.
Only one so far but looks like a few of you are thinking about hopping on.

His enthusiasm, intensity and pure joy of the game is contagious.
He is the guy that can change the attitude of players and single handedly lead the culture out of the morose that it has been in.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 06:26 PM
If Jason Garrett is available, he would be my first choice. Stefanski would be number 2 and all the rest trail behind...
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 06:27 PM
J/C

Looks like McD is the front runner.

I think we could do a lot worse then Saleh. And rumers are that a lot of guys that have input and work closely with KS would come with him as his OC. I like that.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 06:33 PM
Saleh as a leader along with a smart OC would be nice
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 06:37 PM

He is the offensive coordinator of the team that turned Josh Allen from a joke into a semi-competent QB.

A ringing endorsement if there was ever one
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 06:41 PM
Maybe it is to get some insight into what McDermott is doing over there as well.
Posted By: chirp30 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 06:43 PM
He’s coming home, press conference Wednesday.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 07:34 PM
Why are we screwing around right now with Daboll? What is wrong with these clowns?
Posted By: mac Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 07:36 PM
This is nuts....Daboll?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 07:41 PM

Why not? If you are going to follow the process, you interview the candidates you have identified.

I don't think McCarthy was a real candidate. We did him early figuring he would grab the first offer. Plus, like them or not, the Cowboys is a high profile gig. May not be better, but higher profile.

McCarthy will do OK with Dallas, then get canned in 2-3 years and his career will be over. Hey, 60 is a good jump off point.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 07:45 PM
Saleh impresses me a lot. He made a huge career change to follow his passion for football, and started at the bottom of the ladder. I would think any lockerroom would respect him. He seems to have above average "smarts" to handle an HC job. I have no idea what his offensive philosophy is, but being a defensive guy, I imagine he knows what kind of offense would be most effective with our players.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 07:49 PM
Sounds like Pettine.

That said, I favor defensive minded coaches. A little less finesse and more punch them in the mouth, but that is just my personality..

Both can work.
Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 07:56 PM
Just make em draw straws. Hire the winner and if he doesn't win 10 games the first year, fire him and bring in the runner up. Keep going like this till one of them sticks.. Oh Wait.. its pretty much what we been doing smile
Posted By: ThomasE Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 08:27 PM
Buffalo fans blame him for offensive woes, would love to have us take him off their hands
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 08:34 PM
j/c...

Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 08:41 PM

He might be the best choice, least I like both Mcdaniels and Daboll more than McCarthy or Sefanski,

2nd thought. Day ends in a Y, so Browns fan would be pissed, I'd be scared if you said you'd be pleased.

Sadly, I think, because of how the Haslems brought in
guys from the past that had me scratching my head,
Sashi, -to (others I forget, Depo, Schurmur, and Chud...

Guy which seems to me most fits that mold as a head scratcher clearly in over his head with almost no chance to succeed, is Stefanski, so,

Either, way, I think the Browns need about double the coaches, just to work together, just to have a chance
= all the help they can get.
McDaniels, and Daboll may be the two I have the most belief in to get a chance to get a long time, and stick around, and actually build a brand, and cohesion- the other continuity word, and maybe get the ship righted:

... this could have been the start of Pettine and Farmers 8th year together \0/
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 08:56 PM
Well .... whoever they hire. I sure hope that Hasbum will give them the time to get their program going.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 08:58 PM
Serious question: does Daboll have other HC interviews, beside us?
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 09:51 PM
I heard that the Giants are interviewing McDaniels on Wednesday and the Browns on Friday.. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm that.. Anyone hear anything ?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 09:53 PM
I heard that the Giants are interviewing McDaniels on Wednesday and the Browns on Friday.. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm that.. Anyone hear anything ?

Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 09:55 PM
Thank you... I'm going to have to get twitter
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 10:37 PM
j/c:

Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 11:03 PM
I thought we interviewed McDaniels today. Or, did I miss something?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 11:06 PM
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
I thought we interviewed McDaniels today. Or, did I miss something?

Daboll today.
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 11:07 PM
j/c:

This should generate some interesting posts.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 11:13 PM
Get McDaniels in here now.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns HC search - 01/06/20 11:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Hamfist

This should generate some interesting posts.

Just wait for the interesting posts when McDaniels or Stefanski is hired.

Actually, things will get really interesting if somebody other than one of those two gets the job.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 12:15 AM
J/c

Hearing thru some different avenues that Jim Caldwell is an intriguing option ...
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 02:31 AM
j/c...

Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 02:35 AM
j/c...

Surprised he didn't get another chance sooner. He and Baker seem like they would get along very well. lol.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:55 AM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
j/c...

Surprised he didn't get another chance sooner. He and Baker seem like they would get along very well. lol.
I'm surprised nobody is talking about this. Jim Schwartz is an old school DC with HC experience. His OC would be important.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
j/c...

I'm surprised nobody is talking about this. Jim Schwartz is an old school DC with HC experience. His OC would be important.

Wasn't a fan of his lions teams
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 04:46 AM
Mentioned Schwartz awhile ago. Always liked his Defenses in Philly. On Bellicheck's staff in the past. I know his Lions teams were not the best. Wonder who he would bring in as OC.

Got a feeling Panthers going to be real players for Joshy.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 04:48 AM
j/c...

Jim Schwartz is definitely worth an interview, especially while we are waiting until Friday to interview Josh McDaniels. The Eagles and Schwartz are cutting edge in a lot ways, it's not a bad thing to pick their/his mind.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:50 AM
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
j/c...

Who was his GM?? naughtydevil
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 11:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
j/c...

Who was his GM?? naughtydevil

The double M guy?
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 11:38 AM
Odds are Daboll will be our next HC...

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 12:15 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab

Blech!

And another Blech for Schwartz.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 12:29 PM
I think there are a lot of other previous HCs that deserve another shot before Schwartz does.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 12:34 PM

How did you arrive at this?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 01:13 PM
Schwartz is a tough guy and his teams play with an edge. We could do worse IMO
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 01:20 PM
J/C

Those saying McD needs to interview here before the giants and we need to be worried, I disagree.

1. Josh still has family in the area. Its a very real possibility he wanted to interview on Friday so he could stay the weekend and see his family.

2. You actually are in a better position to be the last interviewer. If your first, they have the excuse to say "I appreciate the time, but I have a few other teams lined up I would like to speak with". We are last on his list, we can bring him in on Friday - and not let him leave. Which is what I think happens.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 01:21 PM
I think there are a lot of other previous HCs that deserve another shot before Schwartz does.

I hear Pat Schurmur is free...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 01:24 PM
No Mike McCarthy for Cleveland Browns; now who is the most likely candidate?

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01...-candidate.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND, Ohio — I’ve been hearing things such as, “How did the Cleveland Browns let Mike McCarthy out of the building last week?”

As Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam was explaining the team’s approach to the coach/front office situation to the media Thursday, McCarthy was at the team’s complex to talk about the head coaching job.

Right after that press conference, I talked to an NFL executive who said, “McCarthy takes that job only if he has nothing else.”

Here’s why:

1. I don’t know if the Browns offered the former Green Bay Packers coach the job. He was the Browns’ first coaching interview. I believe McCarthy viewed the Browns simply as a fallback position.

2. McCarthy had already interviewed twice with Carolina. The New York Giants also wanted to talk to him.

3. While Jason Garrett had not yet been fired in Dallas, it appeared that would happen. McCarthy had to be aware of that.

4. McCarthy was head coach of the Packers for 13 years. How would the Browns look to him? They are on their fifth coaching search in seven years under Haslam.

5. Finally, when McCarthy talked to Dallas, Owner Jerry Jones could simply say his team has talent and he stuck with Garrett for 10 very up-and-down seasons with no Super Bowl appearance. That had to appeal to McCarthy.

THE REALITY OF BEREA

The Browns will find a head coach. There are only 32 of those jobs in the NFL. This season, only five positions came open. Washington quickly hired Ron Rivera (my first choice). McCarthy went to Dallas.

The Browns now are competing with Carolina and the Giants for a coach.

Rivera coached Carolina for 8 1/2 seasons before he was fired in December. The Panthers have a new owner in David Tepper. He’s a hedge fund guy and is on his first coaching search. It’s hard to know what he’ll do, but the Panthers don’t have the quick-trigger history of the Browns.

That matters.

Coaches don’t want to take jobs where they know the only prevailing philosophy of the franchise has been change/impatience.

Name a recent Browns GM or coach and each will tell you he thought he had three to four years build the Browns. Just about every one told me that. None lasted that long.

The word on the NFL coaching street is Cleveland is a great football town but a tough place to work because of the ownership’s history of quick firings.

FACING THE GIANTS

Pat Shurmur lasted two years as coach of the Giants, just as he was the Browns’ head coach for two seasons (2011-12).

One of the Giants’ top candidates is Matt Rhule, the current Baylor coach. He reportedly turned down a chance to talk to the Browns. But he will talk to the Giants, whose 12-36 record in the last three years is the worst in the NFL. Yes, even worse than the Browns (13-35-1).

In terms of talent, is coaching the Giants a better job than Cleveland? I doubt it. New York is a bigger market. That matters.

But a bigger point is Tom Coughlin was the Giants’ coach from 2004 to 2015. There is a sense the Giants are more stable, even though they are looking for their fourth coach since 2016.

The Giants supposedly are interested in New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, believed to be one of the Browns’ top candidates. Carolina also wants to talk to McDaniels.

WHAT ABOUT THE BROWNS?

Several of the candidates the Browns are interviewing would jump at the job: Brian Daboll, Eric Bieniemy, Robert Saleh and Greg Roman.

Of that group, I believe only Bieniemy has interviewed elsewhere.

Kevin Stefanski also would belong on the list, although Carolina is supposed to be interested in the Minnesota offensive coordinator. Stefanski was the runner-up to Freddie Kitchens for the Browns job last year.

I don’t know what to make of McDaniels. Some sources have told me that he’s very interested in returning to his native Northeast Ohio. Others said he would only take the Browns job if there were no other options. It does seem McDaniels is going to take a head coaching job somewhere.

McDaniels had an 11-17 record (2009-10) as a head coach before being fired during his second season in Denver. He started his career at 6-0 and was 5-17 after that.

WHAT ABOUT JASON GARRETT?

Jason Garrett would be worth talking to, although I wonder if the University School product should take a year off after working 10 years in football-crazed Dallas.

As of now, it seems whomever the Browns hire (unless it’s Garrett), it will be someone either new to the head coaching job or McDaniels, who struggled in Denver.

The Browns still can get it right. Career assistants sometimes become good head coaches. But the Browns’ history of quick firings is hurting their search right now.

My best and wildly premature guess is Stefanski has the best chance to end up with the job because the Browns know him from a year ago.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 01:36 PM
Reaping what they've sewn
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 01:38 PM
Its pretty easy to see at this point we probably won't ever win while the haslams are either alive or own the team. Slim chance they catch lightning in a bottle
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 02:12 PM
I did not know Garrett was a Cleveland native.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 02:31 PM
Its pretty easy to see at this point we probably won't ever win while the haslams are either alive or own the team. Slim chance they catch lightning in a bottle

From reading your posts during the game day forums, while the games are being played; I never remember one where(edit:/ those posts suggested) you thought anything except the worst,

Take advice from "Monty Python", "Always look on the Bright side of life"...

The good part about not having a coach yet, is the Browns don't have the wrong coach yet!

So there's that! thumbsup
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 02:49 PM
I did not know Garrett was a Cleveland native.

I don't believe he was born in Cleveland but did spend time in elementary and high school school here.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:10 PM
Josh McDaniels wise to leave Broncos off list of interview references
As McDaniels interviews around the league, Broncos fans will never forget what he did in Denver.

By Jess Place@Jezru Jan 6, 2020, 4:00am MST

Before the carousel of dud quarterbacks, before the Super Bowl appearances, before Peyton Manning, and before Tebow’s magical run, there was Josh McDaniels. Believe it or not, it’s been close to 10 years since Josh McDaniels was fired from the Denver Broncos.

Vance Joseph, Gary Kubiak, and John Fox have all come and gone since McDaniels was unceremoniously relieved of head coaching duties, but make no mistake which former coach many fans still regard as the worst in recent team history.

On Monday, the Cleveland Browns will meet with Denver’s notorious former coach to interview him for their current opening. Undoubtedly, questions will likely come up regarding his disastrous time in Denver. Here’s a look back at the destruction he left behind.

DISMANTLING
When Mike Shanahan was fired following the 2008 season, many Broncos fans felt that Denver had a roster that, under new leadership, could thrive into the future. Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Peyton Hillis, Tony Scheffler, and punter Brett Kern comprised a young core that appeared poised to take the Broncos competently into the future.

While there is some dissent on just who was the biggest petulant child during the Cutler-McDaniels fight, fans can agree that it was a nasty harbinger of things to come. It wasn’t just Cutler that McDaniels couldn’t get along with, he single-handedly drove, traded, cut, or alienated that young core and, while he was at it, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan for being his unlikable incompetent self.

So who did Josh bring in to replace these fan favorites?

Who can forget the arrival of Kyle Orton in the Cutler trade? How about New England castoffs like Laurence Maroney, Jabar Gaffney, Le Kevin Smith, and Lonie Paxton?

Lonie Paxton? For whatever reason, McDaniels released long time long snapper Mike Leach in favor of former Patriot Lonie Paxton to the tune of a 5 year for $5.53 million contract. To put this breathtakingly stupid move in perspective, the Broncos current long snapper Casey Kreiter’s base salary in 2019 was just $800,000. Remember, this was Paxton’s contract BEFORE the current 2011 collective bargaining agreement. To put it into perspective, the salary cap was $60 million less then than it is today.

It’s important to note that Brett Kern, the punter that McDaniels ran off in favor of Mitch Berger (who flamed out after just one season), just helped punt the Patriots out of the playoffs on Saturday with the Titans. Yes, he’s still punting, going to the 2019 Pro Bowl, and was named a 2019 1st Team All-Pro. Remarkable.

Also worth mentioning is that Josh couldn’t draft Rob Gronkowski in 2010, so he brought Gronk’s brother Dan to Denver instead. Granted, he was able to unload his historically bad 2nd round draft dud Alphonso Smith to Detroit to get him, but still.

CHEATING
What’s lost in the current Patriots videotaping scandal is the fact that it’s actually the third such time it has happened involving a Josh McDaniels team. While the 2019 Patriots’ attempts to squirm out of the cheating charges may or may not be successful, make no mistake, Josh McDaniels’ Denver Broncos were found guilty of cheating... with the SAME guy that cheated for the Patriots during the very first Spygate scandal in 2007. From MHR at the time:

The Denver Broncos and Josh McDaniels have each been fined $50,000 for taping the 49ers’ pre-game walk through before the game at Wembley Stadium earlier in November, per Jason La Canfora of NFL Network.

La Canfora also reports that Steve Scarnecchia, who was on a leave of absence, was fired from the team, and will be under further investigation from the NFL and a ban from the league is not out of the question.

Scarnecchia was the man behind the camera for Spygate I, making him a repeat offender to the league. The league also indicated that if any more evidence comes to light, there will be further discipline from Commissioner Roger Goodell.

RENEGING ON THE COLTS
When Josh McDaniels agreed to coach the Colts in the 2019 season, I wont’t blame Colts fans for trying to talk themselves into thinking it was a good idea. He couldn’t be that bad, could he? Broncos fans are just being hyperbolic, right? From our sister Colts site, Stampede Blue:

Yet when Josh McDaniels’ time spent in Denver as the head coach is discussed, we tend to drop all the weight of blame directly on him with all the nuance of an argument about politics on Twitter. McDaniels certainly failed. That fact is not up for debate. Any Broncos fan will tell you, some very heatedly about all the areas he went wrong.

The argument I would like to make is that his failure was not as spectacular as it is made out to be. I would also argue that the Broncos share equal, or perhaps even greater responsibility for that failure than McDaniels himself.

Then a week later:

Dianna
✔
@diannaESPN
Spoke with several members of what was supposed to be McDaniels’ Indy coaching staff. They have not heard from Josh McDaniels regarding the change of heart. Just as blindsided as the rest of us. #Colts

9:51 PM - Feb 6, 2018 · Manhattan, NY
Twitter Ads info and privacy
2,031 people are talking about this
...and then:

Zak Keefer
✔
@zkeefer
Word from #Colts source: "We'll survive."

Here's the team's full statement. They make it clear that contract terms were agreed to.

View image on Twitter
8:35 PM - Feb 6, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
121 people are talking about this
If you have enjoyed reading this long-winded indictment of the cheating scoundrel that is Josh McDaniels, then you will love this Stampede Blue article entitled, “Colts Dodge Bullet: McDaniels Lacks Integrity, Belongs in New England,” wherein they painstakingly document every Patriots and McDaniels scandal and misstep over the last 20 years.

This is not the kind of man fans in Indianapolis want representing their team or their city. It is best that the team moves on to find someone else who will lead with the kind of ethical compass and integrity that reflects the fabric of the city of Indianapolis and is compatible with the blue blood that runs through the entire Colts fan base.

So the Cleveland Browns are getting ready to interview this man for their open head coach position on Monday. If that’s not the most Cleveland Browns thing ever, I don’t know what is. All I can say is, Josh McDaniels knows better to ask Broncos Country for a reference... because this article and the one from Stampede Blue is as positive as ones for him will ever be. Good luck, Joshy.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/1/6/...view-references
Posted By: The Big G Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:29 PM
I am only being slightly facetious when I say the Haslams proved they are more patient than any other owners when they gave Hue Jackson two-and-a-half years to win three games. Would anyone else have waited longer to can him?
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By: The Big G
I am only being slightly facetious when I say the Haslams proved they are more patient than any other owners when they gave Hue Jackson two-and-a-half years to win three games. Would anyone else have waited longer to can him?

There was already the perception (and reality) that Haslam hired and fired too quickly before Hue got here. And then yes, Haslam was more than patient/too patient with Hue. It's still baffling that he got a third season.

If there was a positive that came out of all of that, it was that we could say look, "This guy was 1-31 and we still gave him a third season!"

Then we use that goodwill, and all the young talent on the team and hire... Freddie Kitchens, then fire him after one season. banghead

Maybe Freddie had to go but coaches still look in and say the guy only got one year. That counts for something.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:39 PM
Which leads to another point:

Do we hire the wrong coaches, or fire too quickly? A little bit of both? A lot of both?

I tend to think the main problem is that the Haslams have simply done a lousy job of hiring key people. But they're not all bad. There are secondary problems of firing too quickly, and other organizational issues that are generally outside the head coach's control, which makes coaches seem more disorganized than they actually are.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:43 PM
J/C

If I am the Giants, I am giving McD a very large contract, and saying "hey, look at how many guys Cleveland still has to interview. There is still a chance they look you over. You can wait for them to make you an offer, but we will not wait. You either take our offer now - or hope Cleveland hires you over the 8 other guys they have left to talk too."

Sadly, I see Cleveland getting our 3rd choice again.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:51 PM
Sounds like McCarthy will be going to Dallas
I should've known McCarthy wasn't going to the Browns once Dorsey was fired, resigned, released, whatever happened.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

If I am the Giants, I am giving McD a very large contract, and saying "hey, look at how many guys Cleveland still has to interview. There is still a chance they look you over. You can wait for them to make you an offer, but we will not wait. You either take our offer now - or hope Cleveland hires you over the 8 other guys they have left to talk too."

Sadly, I see Cleveland getting our 3rd choice again.
Yep, I don't see any big names wanting to get in the middle of this mess.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:54 PM
I believe that Jimmy Haslam is the biggest problem. Do they hire the wrong people? Maybe. Does he create an atmosphere inside Browns headquarters that is poisonous to any hope of success? Yes he does.

When you start pitting people against each other, who should be working together, don't be surprised when it falls apart quickly. This has been Haslam's methodology since he took over the team. 5 or 6 GMs and 5 or 6 head coaches ..... if you threw darts to pick people to run the team, and left them alone to do their jobs you'd get better results.

He has the worst winning percentage of any major sports team owner since Ted Stepien. No, wait, Stepien's winning percentage is actually better than Haslam's. Think about that for a minute.

I wonder if we will have a "Haslam rule" some day .... like we have a "Stepien rule"?

Haslam's going to hire a quality candidate .... and destroy him.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:54 PM
I'll just take a wait and see approach.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:56 PM
j/c...

Posted By: waterdawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 03:59 PM
Number one; I am convinced that Jimmy doesn't allow Mirror's in this home , and all he wants are Bright Shiny New Toys !
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 04:25 PM
j/c...

With the Browns the only remianing HC opening, they can patiently wait for Stefanski or Saleh if they choose and McDaniels lost any leverage he may have had to rush a hire.

Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 04:30 PM
j/c...

With the Browns the only remianing HC opening, they can patiently wait for Stefanski or Saleh if they choose and McDaniels lost any leverage he may have had to rush a hire.

Well it's not like he would be out of a job.
Posted By: Riley01 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 04:31 PM
Why not Jason Garret? ...Just saying
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
j/c...

With the Browns the only remaining HC opening, they can patiently wait for Stefanski or Saleh if they choose and McDaniels lost any leverage he may have had to rush a hire.

Well it's not like he would be out of a job.

He sure would be out of a HC job though.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 04:32 PM
j/c...

Actually, McDaniels doesn't have to take the Browns job...he wasn't fired...still has the Patriots job.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: mac
j/c...

Actually, McDaniels doesn't have to take the Browns job...he wasn't fired...still has the Patriots job.

Obviously. If he wants a HC job, however, he's lost leverage.

If he just likes being flirted with, yes, he'll always have NE.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 04:44 PM
What if stefanski doesn’t want to come here either?
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 04:53 PM
Crazy stuff.
Does DePo stay or go? Does he REALLY give a crap whether he stays or goes?

Is Stefanski feeling like a jilted bride

https://factoryofsadness.co/2020/01/07/cleveland-browns-rumors-mcdaniels-wants-job-depodesta-will-gone/amp/#aoh=15784158723258&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

Annnnd the link is poop.
☰

Cleveland Browns rumors: If McDaniels wants job, DePodesta not a road block
by Nick Dudukovich3h ago
Around the rumor mill, Paul DePodesta won’t get in the way of the Haslams hiring Josh McDaniels as the Cleveland Browns next coach.
The Cleveland Browns are into the thick of their coaching search, losing out on the first candidate they interviewed, as Mike McCarthy took the job with Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

The Browns interviewed Bills’ coordinator Brian Daboll Monday, but all eyes are on Friday, when Cleveland is expected to hire Patriots’ offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. It’s no secret now, Tom Brady‘s play caller is the choice of Cleveland’s ownership.

With the owners in love with McDaniels, the hire seems like a slam dunk. You can see how it plays out: He arrives Friday and the Browns don’t let him leave.

There’s just one obstacle in the way–or not in the way, depending on how you look at it, and that’s Paul DePodesta, the team’s chief strategy officer.

It’s been rumored McDaniels won’t accept a job with DePodesta holding his current role. Of note, DePodesta’s contract is up soon, so his presence may not get in the way of the Haslams of getting the coach they’ve long coveted, according to TheLandonDemand’s Tony Grossi (2:43).

“The information i got over the weekend, was that, [DePodesta is] not going to impede Haslam from doing what he wants, from doing what he needs to do to get McDaniels.”

Awkward. Depodesta is one of the leading voice in the coaching search, but Grossi noted that this could be one of his last acts an employee of the Browns.

“If McDaniels tells Haslam, ‘Yeah, I’ll take the job if Paul is not involved,’ it will be done from what i’ve heard.”

RELATED PRODUCT
ODELL BECKHAM JR CLEVELAND BROWNS BILLBOARD BOBBLEHEAD
Buy Now!

ODELL BECKHAM JR CLEVELAND BROWNS BILLBOARD BOBBLEHEAD
The dynamic in the interview room come Friday promises to be intriguing because it seems like the Browns have to sell themselves on McDaniels, and not the other way around. It’s especially true for McDaniels. He’s got other options, and the Browns have to know it.

If McDaniels doesn’t take the job, it wouldn’t be surprising to hear DePodesta will get a new contract and keep his role, working from his home in La Jolla, Calif., while commenting to Cleveland on game days.

if McDaniels doesn’t take gig, it seems like Kevin Stefanski would become the favorite, as he was DePodesta’s preferred candidate last year. There could be a hiccup there, though, because Cleveland.com reported Stefanski carries hard feelings over finishing second to Freddie Kitchens.

NEXT: McDaniels is not the savior for the Browns
Happy coaching search, Cleveland! There’s always the Canadian Football League coach the Browns are reported to be talking to!

All Cleveland Sports logo
NEWSLETTER
All Cleveland Sports news from FanSided Daily
Enter your email address

APPS
NEWSLETTER
300+ SITES
ABOUT
PRIVACY
TERMS
©2020 FanSided. All Rights Reserved.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:03 PM
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:08 PM
Would baker thrive under Eric Bieniemy?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:10 PM
That sounds good to me. The waiting is maddening. Actually looking forward to moving on to the stage of arguing whether or not we got the right/wrong guy, and the rumor-articles about how the process in Berea is a joke.

Super pumped for the offseason... /sarcasm
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:11 PM

Poor Daboll, aka, Freddie Kitchen's twin, Schefty didn't even bother to list him.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:17 PM
]

Poor Daboll, aka, Freddie Kitchen's twin, Schefty didn't even bother to list him.

Don't you mean, "The next head coach of the Cleveland Browns"? wink
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
]

<Rushes to the 480 bridge>
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:24 PM
McDaniels’ leverage is gone now, so if that was his plan it’s backfired ... now it’s on him. Stay in NE or take the jump.

I’d be wary of him TBH.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:29 PM

He might.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:35 PM
j/c...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:39 PM

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:39 PM

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:41 PM
]

<Rushes to the 480 bridge>

<follows>
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:42 PM
Quote:
The Browns organization is looking for a HC that can “lead, hold these guys accountable, install discipline...and we want him to be respected by these players more than anything,” per source.

So.....The Anti-Kitchens?
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 05:45 PM
I expect that if we do not announce our newest HC by Friday, then it would seem likely that our choice is Stefanski...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
I expect that if we do not announce our newest HC by Friday, then it would seem likely that our choice is Stefanski...

Why?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:04 PM

Why?

Because he has a playoff game this weekend.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:06 PM

Why?

Yes, but generally this will point to a hire regardless. I feel like we knew for weeks that Crennel was going to be our HC but we had to wait for an official announcment until after the Super Bowl.

These things tend to leak out. Whether or not it is a formal announcement is a different matter to me.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:08 PM

Why?

Yes, but generally this will point to a hire regardless. I feel like we knew for weeks that Crennel was going to be our HC but we had to wait for an official announcment until after the Super Bowl.

These things tend to leak out. Whether or not it is a formal announcement is a different matter to me.

Correct. It would leak that the Browns "plan to name Stefanski as their next HC."
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:09 PM

Why?

I still don't see why it would point to him. Maybe we want to talk to all of our targets. None have been hired by other teams , may not have even interviewed.

Just because he was who Depo liked last year might not mean a thing this year. I read on one of the many tweets posted that the Browns aren't going to let past feelings cloud the process this year.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:11 PM

It'll leak, but based on your (assumed by me) reasoning, it could also mean Saleh or Bieniemy.
Posted By: The Beast Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:13 PM
Once again, Haslam and his committee are proving that their process is a piece of crap. Successful teams take action when action is warranted. They don't sit around in endless committee meetings trying to figure out which end is up.

Haslam is bumbling, incompetent dumbass who thinks he is smarter than he is. The dumpster fire continues to burn in Cleveland. SMH
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:17 PM
right - let's just hire the first coach interviewed. no due diligence. that is how we ended up with hubris and kitchens.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:19 PM

It'll leak, but based on your (assumed by me) reasoning, it could also mean Saleh or Bieniemy.

True, but I believe Stefanski and McDaniels are the front-runners...
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:21 PM

Daboll was already interviewed (yesterday), right?

Add: my bad. can't read
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:23 PM
I think they need to interview Urban at this point too, since time is less important.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:24 PM

Daboll was already interviewed (yesterday), right?

Yes, and his name is not in the list of who we already interviewed.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:25 PM
If they end up letting DePodesta walk in order to hire McDaniels heads will explode on here.

rofl
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:27 PM
mac's for sure...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:30 PM
J/c

Due diligence is easy now: we’re the last partner at the dance
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 06:46 PM

I agree.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 07:03 PM
If Kubiak comes with Stefanski that’d be my choice
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 07:04 PM
I think they need to interview Urban at this point too, since time is less important.

As has been said, we have already stated we aren't interested in candidates with no NFL experience.

That said, we had some jibber about us wanting Matt Rhule. He doesn't have NFL experience that I could see. Maybe Rhule just came out he wasn't interested in us.

I am not sure we tried to interview him or not.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 07:17 PM
[quote][ we had some jibber about us wanting Matt Rhule. He doesn't have NFL experience/quote]

He had one season as Assistant offensive line in 2012 for the Giants.. very minimal
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 07:20 PM
Ahhhh... it didn't show up on the Wiki time line I cruised.....or I cruised too fast.

You know me Buddy. When I am cruising, other guys are losing.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 07:25 PM
Very true...LOL
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 07:31 PM
I'm thinking back to earlier on in the coaching search that there was a slew of names of coaches we were supposedly interested in, but had not set up interviews (ex. basically the rest of the SanFran staff comes to mind, among others). The fact that the story behind Rhule was that he declined an interview most likely means we were more interested and Rhule ensured it progressed no further. As Memphis (or Rish?) stated, this is at least concerning.

Still, Rhule kinda came out of nowhere. Out of the front-runners, only McCarthy slipped through our fingers. Rivera was hired before Freddie was fired, so I'd argue he was never really in play (but I think he should've been).

It should be viewed as a positive that we're the last team hiring, and 2/3 of our top candidates are in play with no fallback option.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 07:43 PM
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 07:57 PM

I have a strong suspicion Saleh blew them away and he's currently in first place. This is also why the Browns will be able to name a coach quickly after Friday. They have their first place guy. If no one beats him out between now and then, it's clear cut. If someone beats him out between now and then, it's clear cut. There will be nothing to deliberate.

Stefanski and McDaniels are also in play and a lot will depend on their interviews which could shift the rankings.

But right now I would put it Saleh, McDaniels, Stefanski.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:01 PM
Out of the front-runners, only McCarthy slipped through our fingers.
I agree. Rhule and Rivera were never in play for us and Joe Judge was never on our radar.

We have our pick of the rest of the class (for whatever that's worth.)
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:02 PM
Interesting thought....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:03 PM
I'm thinking back to earlier on in the coaching search that there was a slew of names of coaches we were supposedly interested in, but had not set up interviews (ex. basically the rest of the SanFran staff comes to mind, among others). The fact that the story behind Rhule was that he declined an interview most likely means we were more interested and Rhule ensured it progressed no further. As Memphis (or Rish?) stated, this is at least concerning.

Still, Rhule kinda came out of nowhere. Out of the front-runners, only McCarthy slipped through our fingers. Rivera was hired before Freddie was fired, so I'd argue he was never really in play (but I think he should've been).

It should be viewed as a positive that we're the last team hiring, and 2/3 of our top candidates are in play with no fallback option.

Maybe it was a ploy? In most cases, Depo is the smartest guy in the room.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Any truth to this or just some made up twitter story like the one that said Dorsey threw Depo's notes in the trash?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:11 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:12 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Any truth to this or just some made up twitter story like the one that said Dorsey threw Depo's notes in the trash?

Grossi got clowned and fell for a fake source and reported it as a legit.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:14 PM
Well actually trying to plant a false story just to make fun of someone is pretty scummy too.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:14 PM
j/c...

his lips to God's ears
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:16 PM
I don't think it's McDaniels.

He's so excited about interviewing for the Browns and working with Baker and starting the next chapter of his career with his hometown team that he puts his interview off a week.

Doesn't make sense. He's leery and should be. Browns are probably leery and should be.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:17 PM
who wouldn't be leery about coming in to this clown show
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:19 PM

Are you a fan? I think so, you have been here long enough.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:26 PM

Are you a fan? I think so, you have been here long enough.

yes, so when I say it's a clown show...how can anyone that's fan not come to that same conclusion given all thats happened since 99
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:40 PM

It was said he put off the Browns interview til Friday because he wanted to see what everyone had to offer. He could also leverage them against the Browns... however, now, we're the only team that remains coachless.

But you may be right... or there's no clear cut favorite and it's anyone's ballgame.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:51 PM
He’s a different kind of fan .... during games its all doom and gloom ... we were up by two scores on the bills and you’d of thought we were down by 3 td’s reading his and dawg4life posts ....

I would NEVER want to watch a game with either of those two if they act anywhere near in person how they post in the game day forum ...

One time we scored a TD and they were not happy with how we scored it ... *L* .... that’s true its not hyperbole ... *shrugs* ...
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
He’s a different kind of fan .... during games its all doom and gloom ... we were up by two scores on the bills and you’d of thought we were down by 3 td’s reading his and dawg4life posts ....

I would NEVER want to watch a game with either of those two if they act anywhere near in person how they post in the game day forum ...

One time we scored a TD and they were not happy with how we scored it ... *L* .... that’s true its not hyperbole ... *shrugs* ...
its hyperbole....and you're the opposite, hows the weather on the isle? you snuggling with King John to keep you warm.. get out of here with your BS
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:01 PM
j/c

I'll be stunned if the choice is not McDaniels...I think that's been the case all along.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

its hyperbole....and you're the opposite, hows the weather on the isle? you snuggling with King John to keep you warm.. get out of here with your BS

Live look, right down to the misspelling...

Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:09 PM
J/c

Does McDaniels waiting til Friday show a lack of interest or a lot of interest?

What do people think goes on in these interviews?

Maybe he's taking the time to look in depth at our personnel and actually incorporate them into his pitch/plans.

But wait we only want a coach's plan to change based on the players he has after he has the job. We want him to come In unprepared with a "plan" haphazardly thrown together overnight with lot of generic clichés and buzzwords.

I think the plan is more important than the "interview"/sound bites.

I hope the Haslams don't buy another personality they like talking with/get energized by and rather consider the whole package/process.
Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:13 PM
Look, Haslam has screwed this thing up BIG time. He has no clue how to pick a coach, and the guys around him like Depodesta have no **** clue either.

This whole coaching search should have came down to 5 candidates, FIVE CANDIDATES!

In whatever order you want to rank them:

Mike McCarthy
Josh McDaniels
Urban Meyer
Jim Caldwell
Chuck Pagano

Out those 5 initial guys, 3 get second interviews, then you pick a guy and hire him. Pagano is probably the weakest of the 5, but he is still one hell of a coach and would be upgrade to anyone we have had for a long time.

Instead Jimmy interviews "everyone" literally. This isn't baseball, time means everything. All the good assistant coaches are going to be gone by Saturday, we should have had this coaching hire done last week.

More than qualified guys like Caldwell and Pagano can't even get an interview despite the fact Caldwell took two different franchises to the playoffs multiple times and has been to a Super Bowl as a HC and is known as a QB guru, and Pagano is a top Notch D coach with 3 11-5 seasons and 2 8-8 seasons to his credit. You have to be kidding me!?

I know whats going to happen, McDaniels is going to come here and interview, they are going to agree to a deal, the Browns are going to annouce it to the world, and once it comes time for McDaniels to sign, he is going to say:

"Ya know, I changed my mind. Im going to stay in New England"

There is NO WAY McDaniels comes here short of a 100 million dollar 10 year guranteed contract like Gruden got from the Raiders where they are on the hook to pay him 100 million no matter what, even if they fire him., and no way Haslam is going to do that. So we will be scambling to find somebody to take the job.

the best possible thing that could happen is everyone we ask refuses to take the job, leave the team without a coach, this will be a PR nightmare for the NFL and it will force the owners and the NFL to step in and force this moron to sell.

As long as the Haslams are here, we will continue to suffer in misery.

Say what you want about Jr.(Lerner) but he never went 1-15 and followed it up with 0-16, and he had enough sense to hire a football guy like Holmgren and then get the hell out of the way, sure it was the wrong hire, but he had the right idea...this guy....he is worse than Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder put together.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:20 PM

I don't think that's how it works.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
J/c

Maybe he's taking the time to look in depth at our personnel and actually incorporate them into his pitch/plans.

But wait we only want a coach's plan to change based on the players he has after he has the job. We want him to come In unprepared with a "plan" haphazardly thrown together overnight with lot of generic clichés and buzzwords.

I hope the Haslams don't buy another personality they like talking with/get energized by and rather consider the whole package/process.

I bet you it's just as silly as him trying to play headgames. Asking to move up the interview shows desperation. These are high-stakes discussions/negotiations. Could be as silly as him trying to not give up any negotiating leverage.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
J/c

I bet you it's just as silly as him trying to play headgames. Asking to move up the interview shows desperation. These are high-stakes discussions/negotiations. Could be as silly as him trying to not give up any negotiating leverage.

Not to mention we have interviews setup for Wednesday and Thursday already.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:27 PM
I think he's busy. So what? People make appointments and need to keep them. Maybe his guys are packing up in NE and he'd like to see them.
Maybe the Browns have said, "No worries, Friday is good". Maybe the Browns cant move it up for some reason.

I dont see any reason to try and read more into than there may be.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:42 PM
I think he's busy. So what? People make appointments and need to keep them. Maybe his guys are packing up in NE and he'd like to see them.
Maybe the Browns have said, "No worries, Friday is good". Maybe the Browns cant move it up for some reason.

I dont see any reason to try and read more into than there may be.

....I'm not sure which side of the McDaniels' "issue" you think I'm on.

I'm fine with him taking some time. He's been busy trying to get the team he is currently working for ready for a playoff game with an offense that is missing all kinds of pieces.

He hasn't been worrying about the Browns job.

I'd much prefer he take his time and look at the Browns with clear eyes and formulate a plan rather than jump in half-cocked.

Someone earlier had intimated that him waiting until Friday showed a lack of interest. I was simply saying not so fast to that.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:44 PM
It was more adding to your comment than countering it.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:47 PM
Quote:

I said earlier in one of these threads that Josh could do like McCarthy did.. Interview with a team or two..and the Last team you interview with is the team that you stay with.

Jmo though
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:50 PM
Its really funny to think Brian Dumboll tricked
Himself into thinking he had a legit shot to be a NFL HC.
Hes only slightly better than Kitchens and thats not saying much
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 09:54 PM
Quote:

I said earlier in one of these threads that Josh could do like McCarthy did.. Interview with a team or two..and the Last team you interview with is the team that you stay with.

Jmo though

Or he scheduled the Browns for a Friday interview so he could spend the rest of the weekend in town with his family and mull over a decision?

Posted By: devicedawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 10:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Daboll becomes a HC at some point.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 10:16 PM
His folks live in the Canton area, and his wife's parents are in Parma. They probably have plans for family reunions this coming weekend. Maybe even make time to do a walk-thru at Bill Cowher's house in Strongsville - I hear Bill's been trying to sell it for years.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns HC search - 01/07/20 11:51 PM
J/C ... sports team owners get reputations, for good or not.

The next head coach of the Browns would do well to follow Kyle Shanahan's example, and go for a 7 year deal. I doubt he will get a 10 year deal like Gruden did in Oakland/Vegas .... but if it were me, I would want a deal without offset language. A long term deal with no offset would make it far less palatable for Haslam to fire the next guy after a year or 2.

At some point Haslam has to give a guy a chance to get his program in place, and his players developed. If I were a candidate for this job, I would make sure I had some financial assurances that make it more likely that I can install and develop my program. Unless I get them, I wait for the next opportunity.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 12:12 AM

The next head coach of the Browns would do well to follow Kyle Shanahan's example, and go for a 7 year deal. I doubt he will get a 10 year deal like Gruden did in Oakland/Vegas .... but if it were me, I would want a deal without offset language. A long term deal with no offset would make it far less palatable for Haslam to fire the next guy after a year or 2.

At some point Haslam has to give a guy a chance to get his program in place, and his players developed. If I were a candidate for this job, I would make sure I had some financial assurances that make it more likely that I can install and develop my program. Unless I get them, I wait for the next opportunity.

That is one of the reasons I want an experienced coach with a decent record. To get a decent contract, ownership has to be reasonably assured there will be no On The Job Training cluster cluck like Freddie on board. Good Experience = Good Contract
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 12:16 AM
j/c

At this point, I'm fine with any of McDaniels, Saleh, Stefanski, or Bieniemy. The more I read about Saleh, the more I like him. At this moment, he's my favorite. Tomorrow may be different.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 12:31 AM
I have been intrigued with Saleh since the announcement of his name being added to the Interview list.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 12:55 AM
I agree. For a change, let's not traffic in "upside," "potential," as we wait for the learning curve to automatically bridge all gaps, fill every shortcoming, as we get the repetitive mantra we have seen. Just too many promises that never got realized.

Pay what you must for a quality proven commodity, not an an oddity for the media storm. I think above average performers will require above average compensation.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 03:03 AM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I wouldn't be surprised if Daboll becomes a HC at some point.

I know,
6 years ago I wouldn't have wanted Brian Daboll as HC of the Browns,

But I'm thinking, who would be the best coach 4,5, or 6 years from now, that's why for me,

I only think 2 have the chance at stability to keep the job and stick around and actually be really good 5 years from now,

Josh McDaniels, and

Brian Daboll,

But the organization really has to keep a structure around.

And I really don't know anything about any of them.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 03:37 AM
I’m still hoping Belichick will come back, bring a Lombardi to Cleveland.

If nothing else, he would fix our discipline issues. Post-mf-haste.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 04:06 AM
Mike?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 06:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave
His folks live in the Canton area, and his wife's parents are in Parma. They probably have plans for family reunions this coming weekend. Maybe even make time to do a walk-thru at Bill Cowher's house in Strongsville - I hear Bill's been trying to sell it for years.

Bill's been asking too much for years. Typical owner that gets emotional and overvalues his home!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 10:17 AM
J/c

I read Rish’s comments about Saleh, and that might make the most sense. He blew us away and we’re doing our due diligence with others
Posted By: The Big G Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 11:01 AM
If Saleh truly has the "it" factor, and PdP is on board, I'm good with going unknown over Josh. This search, and all of the seemingly good candidates, is really making me wonder why we ever thought Freddie could be the guy. I know hindsight is 20-20, but we basically had Larry the Cable Guy as a head coach. Whether we let Baker assert too much control (which would be ridiculous) or not, that was on Dorsey.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 11:36 AM

Blech!

And another Blech for Schwartz.

but he fits our body type search for a HC...lol laugh
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 11:39 AM
I was surprised to read that we are McDaniels dream job I did not know he was a Brown's fan!
Posted By: Cleats Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 12:18 PM
J/c

I prefer an offensive minded coach. I question McDaniel's leadership and discipline capabilities after he backed out of the Colts job.He lost some respect with me even though he might be the best offensive coach available.
Stefanski has a decent career history and carries himself well in interviews. If he can lead and instill discipline I'd be fine with him.
Saleh is a defensive guy. I love his energy which could compliment good leadership & discipline rolls...His offensive people would need to be pretty good.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 01:37 PM
J/C

just to ask a different question: Do we think Freddie gets another job in the NFL next year? Is it just a position coach? Does someone give him a shot at OC again? How about HC?
Posted By: The Big G Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 01:43 PM
I cannot see him ever getting an OC job again.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 01:49 PM
Yeah, I think Freddie's a "one and done" HC. MAYBE OC if he's under a strong HC. That seemed to work well under Williams last year.

As far as "proven" coaches go, they're not unemployed because they did TOO GOOD as a HC.
Posted By: chirp30 Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 01:49 PM
I think he will, all stadiums need maintenance workers, food vendor, beer sales and ticket taker. He has a lot of opportunity! I wish him well.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 01:50 PM
I think I saw this on TV scrawl this AM early, but not sure I read it right. Is there a window on this search now? It looked like we had stated we wanted to have our HC hire done by Saturday. We seem to have the door wide open now with other hires that time doesn't seem to be an issue for us now. Anybody confirm or deny the Saturday thing? If true, we must be closer than it seems or done. saywhat
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 02:27 PM
I look at Daboll and think of Rob Reiner.

Call him Meathead.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 02:42 PM

That is one of the reasons I want an experienced coach with a decent record. To get a decent contract, ownership has to be reasonably assured there will be no On The Job Training cluster cluck like Freddie on board. Good Experience = Good Contract
Cool, who would that be? There is not any available.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 02:43 PM
Arians will hire him to be running back coach or TE coach.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 02:56 PM
J/C

just to ask a different question: Do we think Freddie gets another job in the NFL next year? Is it just a position coach? Does someone give him a shot at OC again? How about HC?

Maybe not next year. He may want to take a year off. I would.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 03:00 PM
brownie
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: The Big G
I cannot see him ever getting an OC job again.

If Shurmer can get another HC job, Freddie can get another OC job.
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 03:01 PM
Quote:

Knight_Of_Brown

This whole coaching search should have came down to 5 candidates, FIVE CANDIDATES!

In whatever order you want to rank them:

Mike McCarthy
Josh McDaniels
Urban Meyer
Jim Caldwell
Chuck Pagano

I'm not sure Urban is even considering coaching. He's got a good gig on TV and doesn't have to deal with a bunch of attitudes.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 03:26 PM
I just had a Crazy idea but this is the Browns - so Crazy is normal!

Reading up quickly on Brian Daboll, I like the idea of him as a HC more, and wonder if his slow development, if it were all here in Cleveland, would he be a clear next in line to take the role, up through the ranks, kind of situation,

But then, I decided to see if his 4 stints as OC, well how his quick search online would compare to, say, Pat Shurmurs'
you can surmise from that what you will,

But then! I'm crazy, the Browns are cazy, so I had a crazy idea.

Draw a Circle with 3 notches, a Notch for Head coach, Offensive Coordinator, and Tight Ends coach,
Insert Names into the roles
Brian Daboll, Pat Shurmur, and (Rob Chudzinski,or other)(Maybe even Stefanski- why not)

Then, Everytime the team goes 4-12 and the Haslams lose patience

Just Rotate the circle 1 quarter turn, rofl

But Eventually, in 10-12 years, We'd see continuity in Cleveland, by default.

I figure they had the best coaching talent last year (a week before they let Hue go) when they had at least one person waiting in the wings to take over for Hue.

So I surmise they need all the help they can get. thumbsup
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 04:48 PM
J/C

My guess is that he ends up at Alabama in some sort of coaching analyst role.

(Calling someone an "analyst" in college football is how you get someone to coach your team without being a coach.)
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 05:14 PM
J/C

(Calling someone an "analyst" in college football is how you get someone to coach your team without being a coach.)

Or Ariens gives him a gig since he won't have to pay him courtesy of Haslam.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 05:21 PM
J/C

Definitely a possibility. He needs to find his Marvin Lewis.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 05:26 PM

That's not how any of this works.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 05:29 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

That's not how any of this works.

The nepotism part or the pay part? The nepotism part is most definitely how this works. The pay part may or may not work the way described above depending on offset language in Kitchens' contract.

Either way, the point still stands. Kitchens going somewhere where he is comfortable is most likely. (And I don't think there is anything wrong with that, it's what I would try to do too.)
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 05:40 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 05:53 PM
The pay part. I think nepotism is a word people throw around loosely however. Having some experience and a feeling of comfort working with someone goes a little further than nepotism.

I mean let's look at it for a moment. In Cleveland we've had the problem of clashes between the FO and coaching for what seems like forever. The rumor is that there was major friction between Monken and Freddie.

So there comes a line which people draw as to whether familiarity and comfort level in working with someone is nepotism, or the desire to have everyone working on the same page.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 05:59 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 06:00 PM
j/c...
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 06:05 PM
That's fair, but I'm pretty sure that everyone knows what's actually meant by 'nepotism' when it's mentioned with potential coaching hires (working together previously and the position coach doing a good job).
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 06:15 PM

This hire would not surprise me one bit.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 06:33 PM

Would you like it or nah?
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 06:43 PM

I think I could be ok with it. I kinda liked him years ago when we were looking.
Solid disciplinarian for sure. Not a fancy hire at all. Ultimately, I believe it's all a crap shoot.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 06:51 PM
Schwartz, Stefanski, McDaniels, Saleh are the 4 IMO ... it may depend if we want an O or D type leader
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 07:00 PM

I can totally see it.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 07:03 PM
I think they're all in on Mayfield and the immediate future of the team rests with him. I haven't seen anything that would indicate that this owner looks at things with the long term future in mind. So my best guess is they they will hire an O coach or someone with the connections to hire a great O mind to run the offense.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 07:30 PM

I think I could be ok with it. I kinda liked him years ago when we were looking.
Solid disciplinarian for sure. Not a fancy hire at all. Ultimately, I believe it's all a crap shoot.

No doubt, it IS a crapshoot. Not only the hire itself, but how the hire jives with our players and FO, and the staff he puts together. Crapshoot x4.

I do not like Schwartz, but I'll admit that a big part of that is that I think he's one of the most obnoxious (well-known) people that have stood on an NFL sideline. Guy gives baby-Harbough a run for his money in the obnoxious department.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 07:52 PM
I would take Schwartz for DC
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 07:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I would take Schwartz for DC

Could happen....

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 08:12 PM
Article on Stefanski, who interviews tomorrow...

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 08:15 PM
Quote:
Stefanski has kept himself built like an athlete and has Hollywood looks, something of a cross between Tom Selleck and Tom Cruise.

Laying it on a little thick, aren't we Mr. Doerschuk?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 09:33 PM

If the team truly does want to take a data heavy approach, Jim Schwartz would a wise choice from that standpoint. I don't know enough about Schwartz when it comes to his leadership, scheme, and/or personality but he was reading Football Outsiders in 2004.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2004/football-outsiders-interview-jim-schwartz
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 09:41 PM
Great interview. Thanks for tracking this down.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 09:54 PM
+1, nice read there.
Posted By: ThomasE Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 10:03 PM
Article says none of the coaches still in the playoffs can be offered the job until their team is eliminated...supposedly the browns want to make a decision by Saturday so doesn't that eliminate Bienemy, Stafanski, and Saleh? Please enlighten me if this is wrong. Thanks.
Posted By: Haus Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 10:09 PM
Here's the playoff schedule for this weekend:

Vikings @ 49ers, 4:35 Saturday
Titans @ Ravens, 8:15 Saturday

Texans @ Chiefs, 3:05 Sunday
Seahawks @ Packers, 6:40 Sunday

One of Stefanski and Saleh will technically be available around 8pm Saturday. Would they actually make a hire on Saturday night? That seems unlikely. Then again it just says they want to make a decision by then, not necessarily a hire. It would seem odd to wait all this time, and make a decision before this weekend's slate of games concludes.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 10:16 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: ThomasE
Article says none of the coaches still in the playoffs can be offered the job until their team is eliminated...supposedly the browns want to make a decision by Saturday so doesn't that eliminate Bienemy, Stafanski, and Saleh? Please enlighten me if this is wrong. Thanks.

Making a decision and hiring a coach officially are two different things. The 49ers had to wait until after the Patriots/Falcons Super Bowl to officially hire Kyle Shanahan but they were in contact with him constantly to get his staff in place.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 10:40 PM

That's what the Colts did with McDaniels, and you saw what that them. When we announce someone .. I want them to be signed on the spot.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 10:54 PM

That's what the Colts did with McDaniels, and you saw what that them. When we announce someone .. I want them to be signed on the spot.

That's only happened one time ever and there were extenuating circumstances that made it a unique situation.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 11:16 PM

That's only happened one time ever and there were extenuating circumstances that made it a unique situation.

the problem is that our team finds a lot of ways to be "unique" when it comes to FO and coaching decisions, so its totally possible.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/08/20 11:43 PM

And IMO it would be a good hire. I think Schwartz is a good coach and the Detroit job wasn't exactly the best place to shine directly after Millan..

He walked in to a lot of semi good receivers, but little else.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 12:03 AM
J/C...

Marinelli in 2008 went 0-16 in Detroit...

Then Schwartz takes over in 2009.. his record was 2-14..

2010 6-10....2011 10-7 and in the playoffs losing to the Saints 45-28

2012 4-12...2013 7-9... Then Caldwell took over...

Some people think that Matt Millen was the GM during Schwartz time in Detroit but it was actually Martin Mayhew
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 12:07 AM
I know. That is why I said directly after Millan. Millan was canned, Schwartz coached the next season with a Millan team at his offering.

Not sure what happened after the 10 win playoff year.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 03:42 AM
j/c

Just had this idea. McDaniels groomed Jimmy G.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 04:47 AM
So the Boston Sports Journal's Greg Bedard is saying there are rumors of Belichick possibly leaving the team. Anyone hearing anything about this?
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:16 AM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
So the Boston Sports Journal's Greg Bedard is saying there are rumors of Belichick possibly leaving the team. Anyone hearing anything about this?
Well they have been grooming Josh to inherit the throne. Maybe the threat of him leaving is making dominos fall.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:24 AM
I would hate to be the guy to take over from Belichick. All you can do is fail by comparison.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 12:47 PM
j/c

So I am a little higher on Schwartz than I was a week ago. What he has done with the Eagles D can't be ignored. I also like that there could be some ease of acquisition concerning the GM position as Berry would most likely come with him. And so I don't see a power struggle as the Chain of command would be similar to what it was in Philly.

Another thing...And I don't know if this belongs here or in the Assistant Coach Thread....But...The rumor is that if Saleh is the choice...He will bring Mike LaFleur and/or Mike McDaniel with him as the OC. That means Shanahan's offense. and frankly, I can't think of a better offense for Baker, Chubb, and Hunt than Shanahan's play action. This intrigues me quite a bit. Obviously you don't hire the HC based on his "proposed" assistants... I think Saleh has his own qualifications...I just like this possibility...
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 01:18 PM

the problem is that our team finds a lot of ways to be "unique" when it comes to FO and coaching decisions, so its totally possible.

I can't shake this feeling that if we hire McDaniels that he'll spend 1 year here, BB retires, and he scoots back to NE. Especially if that 1 year is less than stellar.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 01:40 PM
Originally Posted By: PETE314

The rumor is that if Saleh is the choice...He will bring Mike LaFleur and/or Mike McDaniel with him as the OC. That means Shanahan's offense. and frankly, I can't think of a better offense for Baker, Chubb, and Hunt than Shanahan's play action.

With the options left I like Schwartz - but a Saleh, McDaniel pairing would be very interesting.
Posted By: PeteyDangerous Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 01:51 PM
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
I can't shake this feeling that if we hire McDaniels that he'll spend 1 year here, BB retires, and he scoots back to NE. Especially if that 1 year is less than stellar.

Scoot back? How is he scooting back if he's under contract?
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 02:08 PM
On the other hand. If he's here and does good I can't see any reason to leave.

I probably would forge my own trail than to try and go down the Belichick highway.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 02:12 PM
Saleh and Company. That could be interesting. Trying to work at trusting the deciders to get it right while hoping Dee and Company don't blow it up. But at least we will look prettier.

Let's stop sweating so much babble about culture and so many intangibles. Just seem to be getting in our own way as we expand searches. Winning will sort out a lot of the noise and drama the media delights in visiting upon us endlessly.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 02:50 PM
j/c

So I am a little higher on Schwartz than I was a week ago. What he has done with the Eagles D can't be ignored. I also like that there could be some ease of acquisition concerning the GM position as Berry would most likely come with him. And so I don't see a power struggle as the Chain of command would be similar to what it was in Philly.

Another thing...And I don't know if this belongs here or in the Assistant Coach Thread....But...The rumor is that if Saleh is the choice...He will bring Mike LaFleur and/or Mike McDaniel with him as the OC. That means Shanahan's offense. and frankly, I can't think of a better offense for Baker, Chubb, and Hunt than Shanahan's play action. This intrigues me quite a bit. Obviously you don't hire the HC based on his "proposed" assistants... I think Saleh has his own qualifications...I just like this possibility...

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the Shanny offense would be amazing with out offensive roster. However, we don't call it the 'Shanny Offense' for no reason. Would we actually get that if we brought in his #1 clipboard holder? I'd be really hesitant to bring in anyone other than Shanny to run his offense.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 02:54 PM
Our O-line would need to be overhauled (needs to be anyway) to successfully run Shanny's offense. You need quick, agile linemen to run his zone-blocking schemes.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 02:59 PM
Well considering that both of those guys were here in Cleveland with him...then went to Atlanta with him...and are now with him in San Fran. I think it is reasonable to say that it would be Shanny's Offense.

Hey...that doesn't mean they won't try to bring in wrinkles of their own...But the Philosophy,Language, Play Design and Execution would probably hold fast to the Shanahan Offense.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 02:59 PM

Scoot back? How is he scooting back if he's under contract?

I don't know. It's Cleveland. Are coaches anymore bound by the contract than the organization is? If the organization can fire a coach at will, only being on the hook for paying him the remainder of his salary, can't a coach quit and forego that money?

Also, I know a team doesn't have to allow a coach to interview with another team for an equivalent level position. But they do have to make some allowance if its for a 'promotion'? If the Pats were going to officially make him the HC/GM.. does the GM part count as a "promotion"?

Admittedly I'm not particularly knowledgeable about NFL employment law, so my scenario may not even be possible. But, having watched this team for 30+ years, if such a thing IS possible, no matter how remote... it dang well probably will happen.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 03:03 PM

#Toronto #Argos’ Ryan Dinwiddie calls #NFL head coach discussions ‘fake news’ via
@JDunk12
https://3downnation.com/2020/01/08/argos-ryan-dinwiddie-calls-nfl-head-coach-discussions-fake-news/ #TheSix #ArgosFootball #DoubleBlue #CFL #Cleveland #Browns
https://twitter.com/3DownNation/status/1215273124599603200

Shocking.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 03:10 PM
I saw that rofl
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 03:11 PM
So we're not getting Dinwiddie? $8.50/mo right down the tubes!
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 03:18 PM
Apparently Grossi didn't verify his source before putting it out there... willynilly
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 03:34 PM
Apparently Grossi didn't verify his source before putting it out there... willynilly

Not gonna lie.... If it wasn't Grossi, I'd be more angry at the fake source.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:12 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:15 PM
Who is to say that Paul DePodesta doesn't put in long hours from his home office? Working from home is still work. This seems to be a problem with the non-Paul DePodesta people and their situation more than anything.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:15 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:18 PM
Imagine that.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:19 PM
Quote:
This seems to be a problem with the non-Paul DePodesta people and their situation more than anything.

Precisely.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:21 PM
Mmmmmm hmmmm....
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:22 PM
Imagine that.

So... people in Berea are disgruntled because the "baseball" guy is NOT more involved? superconfused
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:23 PM
Imagine that.

So... people in Berea are disgruntled because the "baseball" guy is NOT more involved? superconfused

Or because he gets paid a lot of money and gets to live in San Diego?

Jealousy is a real thing.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:27 PM
Well considering that both of those guys were here in Cleveland with him...then went to Atlanta with him...and are now with him in San Fran. I think it is reasonable to say that it would be Shanny's Offense.

Hey...that doesn't mean they won't try to bring in wrinkles of their own...But the Philosophy,Language, Play Design and Execution would probably hold fast to the Shanahan Offense.

Shanahan could block the move.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:31 PM

100%. He blocked Mike LaFleur's potential move to Green Bay last year to be the OC for his brother.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:33 PM

John Dorsey is talking to Daryl again. rofl
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:41 PM

I don't recall the exact date, but I want to say it was the day of or day after Dorsey stepped away that Zagura on CBD was talking to the beat writer for the 49ers about Shanahan and those guys. They talked about how tight the 3 of them were, and have been. Sounded like they've been together since waaaaay back and how he blocked LaFleur from going to work with his brother.

It's probably going to take a huge amount to pry anyone from there.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:46 PM
GC. I'm tired of all the namby pamby losing stuff, and the Browns don't even have a freaking GM let alone a coach! And everybody knows they are days/hours away from doing the wrong thing Again!,
("all while trying to do the right thing") Again!

Maybe the Browns should stop trying to do the right thing!
They've been trying to do the right thing since 2006, and since Haslam bought the team, and look where that has gotten them.

With that said, rofl maybe, (Oh Lord somebody STOP ME BEFORE I SAY THIS!,) rofl
Maybe they should try and get Hue Jackson back?

( I DON'T MEAN IT! I DON'T MEAN IT! I was only kiddin, don't put me through that again,)
Somebody think of SOMETHING!

Oh, This team needs a STRONG PERSONALITY, maybe someone to just run roughshod through the organization and NOT WORK WITH ANYBODY! A real A-word,

May not "seem" like the right thing to do, But GOSH BLESSED!!!

They have been doing the right thing for DECADES now and NOTHING has panned out, NOTHING!!!

Lord help us.

Maybe the Browns should stop trying to do the right thing, they've been trying the right thing for years now, and look what that has gotten them!
Maybe the Browns should stop trying to do the Right Thing! They've been trying to do the right thing for Years and look where that has got them!
Maybe the Browns should STOP trying to do the right thing, They've been trying to be correct for years now and it hasn't gotten them Anything!!

Maybe the Browns should Stop trying to do the RIGHT THING?? They've been trying to do the RIGHT THING for years now and look what that has gotten them?? !!!

I'll kick you outta this house if that's the clothes your gonna wea-r-r--; ahem!

Maybe the Browns should STOP trying to do the RIGHT thing, they've been trying that for YEARS now, and we all see where that has gotten them!
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:51 PM
Hey there fella... let's take a deep breath. Good, just like that... good.. ok... now let's step away from anything that's sharp and put down the meth pipe.... lol
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:55 PM
Imagine that.

some people appreciate the dedication it takes to be a part of the community and show up to work in the building. Others not so much.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 05:55 PM

I don't recall the exact date, but I want to say it was the day of or day after Dorsey stepped away that Zagura on CBD was talking to the beat writer for the 49ers about Shanahan and those guys. They talked about how tight the 3 of them were, and have been. Sounded like they've been together since waaaaay back and how he blocked LaFleur from going to work with his brother.

It's probably going to take a huge amount to pry anyone from there.

All three were working for the Browns when Kyle Shanahan was our offensive coordinator and all three were with the Falcons. . .

If anything he blocks the move, gives them a raise, and calls it a day.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 06:10 PM
J/c

Sounds like our hire will be made within 48 hours
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 06:12 PM
J/c

Sounds like our hire will be made within 48 hours
This is both a relief and terrifying at the same time.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 06:13 PM

It was probably that dude on Twitter with 11 a hundred or so followers.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 06:31 PM
Imagine that.

some people appreciate the dedication it takes to be a part of the community and show up to work in the building. Others not so much.

I understand the sentiment. But I would hope everyone in Berea is more concerned with getting results than making sure Milton gets his piece of cake and his red stapler back.

Now if their complaint is that what DePo is contributing in terms of his production doesn't justify his influence, that to me is different.

All that aside.. that's a heckuva commute to be flying from San Diego to Cleveland 2-3 times a week. Being an analytics guru, I bet he's figured out how to maximize the heck out of his air miles!
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 06:36 PM
jc

i expect our HC hire to be one of the wtf variety, like whats his name that just got hired by the giants.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 06:40 PM
jc

i expect our HC hire to be one of the wtf variety, like whats his name that just got hired by the giants.

You mean like when they named Freddie Kitchens head Coach?!
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 06:55 PM
exactly that bro. it absolutely fit the criteria of a wtf hire.

but most of us were blinded by the success.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 06:56 PM
The use of analytics and flying back and forth to Cleveland 2 or 3 times a week is an oxymoron in and of itself.

He must only apply it when it comes to sports.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 07:08 PM

The guy can do what he does from the other side of the world. He doesn't have to punch a clock. I know Cleveland is a time clock type of town, but he can relay info from anywhere. It doesn't matter how much time you put in to a job or project. Time spent on the job isn't the measure value.

Not to demean anyone, but most anybody can hire in and work in a car plant or steelmill. Hard work for sure and I respect the work they do. Not everybody can do that for long. Not everybody can do what Depo does, or your Accountant does, or what you Dentist does. Anybody want me to do your next root canal or tooth extraction?

I couldn't do a root canal, but I could pull your tooth. Between vice-grips and plyers, I could get it done. I would probably need a needle nose to pull out the crumbled pieces.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 07:11 PM

The guy can do what he does from the other side of the world. He doesn't have to punch a clock. I know Cleveland is a time clock type of town, but he can relay info from anywhere.

A concept lost on some, unfortunately.
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 07:25 PM

Shocking.

The same people who hate Paul DePodesta because they're "football guys" and don't grasp all that analytics mumbo jumbo, are most likely the same group who think that you have to punch a time card and be butts in seats every day to do "work". Working remotely from home? What is that? And he probably just sits on his computer looking at NUMBERS all day! Hah, what a nerd!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 07:50 PM

The guy can do what he does from the other side of the world. He doesn't have to punch a clock. I know Cleveland is a time clock type of town, but he can relay info from anywhere.

A concept lost on some, unfortunately.

Right, wrong, or indifferent this is precisely the culture Haslam creates - one of division. It all starts and ends with him.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 07:56 PM
The use of analytics and flying back and forth to Cleveland 2 or 3 times a week is an oxymoron in and of itself.

He must only apply it when it comes to sports.

But does he wear orange and brown darnit?!!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 08:13 PM
Maybe when he has the time to fly into town.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 08:19 PM

How's this for a wtf hire?

We DON'T hire ANYONE for HC! Let's try it out for a season.

The OC is in charge when the offense is on the field, the DC when the defense is, and ST when St is on the field. When it comes to penalties and decisions to challenge, let one of the analytics guys run the numbers real quick and go off of that.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 08:20 PM
whats crazy is that it would probably be more successful than the head coaches we've had making those decisions.

a rather sad reality.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 08:31 PM

Sounds like there are just a bunch of petty people that are jealous that they aren't in Jimmy's inner-circle, yet feel they should be because they are there in the office more often.

Sounds like a bunch of children. Want Jimmy to pat you on the head and say 'Good Boy'? Then do better work with all that extra time you're in the office.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 08:32 PM

The OC is in charge when the offense is on the field, the DC when the defense is, and ST when St is on the field. When it comes to penalties and decisions to challenge, let one of the analytics guys run the numbers real quick and go off of that.

It honestly can't hurt.... just need someone to decide when to go for it on 4th down versus sending the punt unit out there.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 08:37 PM
whats crazy is that it would probably be more successful than the head coaches we've had making those decisions.

a rather sad reality.

So, I proposed this to a buddy at work who's a Browns fan as well. If, by the end of this weekend our new HC has not been announced, I vote that we fans submit our resumes for consideration. Flood Berea with candidates. Who knows, maybe if we put something shiny on it, it'll catch Jimmy's eye, gets him excited enough to act impulsively and one of us jerks from DT might find ourselves with a head set on the sidelines!

If he hires me, I'm hiring that dude wearing the Ninja Turtle costume outside Cleveland Stadium to be the guy who keeps me off the field.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 08:38 PM

IBM's Watson. Can't get much more 'analytics' than that.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 08:42 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

It honestly can't hurt.... just need someone to decide when to go for it on 4th down versus sending the punt unit out there.

That's easy. Jimmy's always concerned with the fan experience right? Prior to kick off, 10 (hmmm... probably more like 20) fans are randomly selected. Once located, the ushers are made aware of those seats. On 4th down just go down that list... put that schmoe on the jumbo tron as they give the Roman thumbs up or thumbs down!
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 10:29 PM
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 10:33 PM
Josh McD is to be tomorrow, got bumped up, or was I told wrong?
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 10:37 PM
AFAIK, McDaniels' interview is tomorrow. Peter King was a guest on a Boston sports talk show and gave his opinion on who we'll pick.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 11:04 PM
Here is my biggest issue with analytics. You can't measure heart. How much does a guy love the game and how dedicated is he going to be.

The problem is, the "football guys" don't seem to pay that much attention to it either
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 11:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester
Here is my biggest issue with analytics. You can't measure heart. How much does a guy love the game and how dedicated is he going to be.

The problem is, the "football guys" don't seem to pay that much attention to it either

If the analytics guys miss it and the football guys miss it, it seems like it can’t be measured and basically random.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns HC search - 01/09/20 11:21 PM
The football guys care more about size and speed.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 12:00 AM

Heart doesn't win you football games. Talent and execution does.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 12:17 AM

I disagree. Heart ... drive ..... or determination, if you will, is vital to the makeup of many great players. That desire to be great, and to make your team great, is what many great players had as one of their top attributes. It drives their talent to the next level.

Look at guys like Josh Gordon and Antonio Callaway .... and this is really what they lacked. They are both immensely talented, but that drive to be great, to sacrifice more than others would even consider in order to be great, is one thing they each sorely lack. Talent is nothing if the player isn't willing to give everything he has for his team and teammates.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 12:23 AM
Analytics isn't about size and speed. It is about what the results were in specific situations (the more parameters the more precise and the more data needed) Analytics is about trying to predict what might happen in the future under the same situations based on information from the past.

Size and Speed gets you Mike Mamula

Football guys get you Peyton Manning...but also can get you Gerard Warren or Vernon Gohlston

Analytics gets you Jimmy Garrapolo but can also get you a Corey Coleman...

Analytics becomes more important in later rounds as the success of "football guys" becomes remote. Is it a sure thing...absolutely not...But it isn't about letting analytics make the decision...it is about providing another layer of information to allow you to make better decisions....

Analytics is like the mechanic you take a car to before buying it. He can tell you that this model has brake issues or electrical problems....does that mean that specific car will have those issues??? Absolutely not...But you know have more information from which to make you car purchase decision.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 12:29 AM
I believe if you have talent..and put your heart into using your talent. Then success is most likely..

Athletes that are less talented and put their heart into it don't always reap the same success...

When you put together a team of all levels of talent along with everyone's heart...it tends to create a successful situation..

It takes more than just talent or just heart to be successful..It's a combination of both that creates success.

A Coach who has the talent to teach but no heart is more than likely going to fail..

I want a talented coach with heart to make the team successful
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 12:51 AM
Just my opinion - nothing to back this up - but the heart a player (or coach) plays with surely translates to the success they have or demonstrate on the field of play .... so it would translate into analytics. The only case I could see where this might not show up is where you have an Uber talented / freak athlete that can dominate without heart at a particular level - and then when they step up and get challenged they fold. Justin Gilbert might be in that category - but due diligence and interviews should expose that lack of drive/commitment/desire.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 01:02 AM
Quote:
drive/commitment/desire.

I like those words... thumbsup
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 01:23 AM
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Just my opinion - nothing to back this up - but the heart a player (or coach) plays with surely translates to the success they have or demonstrate on the field of play .... so it would translate into analytics. The only case I could see where this might not show up is where you have an Uber talented / freak athlete that can dominate without heart at a particular level - and then when they step up and get challenged they fold. Justin Gilbert might be in that category - but due diligence and interviews should expose that lack of drive/commitment/desire.

I think the best example of what you are talking about is Jay Cutler.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 01:26 AM

Then Josh Gordon would be an All Pro, every year.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 01:28 AM
wouldn't it be funny if McDaniels wanted Dorsey as his GM?

that would be something we have never done before...

fire and rehire the same guy LOL
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 01:54 AM
Quote:
wouldn't it be funny if McDaniels wanted Dorsey as his GM?

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight...Thanks dogg....lol
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 02:10 AM
One Interview to go... Tommarrow will make the last and final interview hopefully fingerscrossed Meaning no more names added it should be time for a decision.

I kind of feel this was a good opportunity for the FO to get a chance to take the time and really evaluate the candidates and be able to make a decision based on several choices and not a hurry up just get a guy in ..

For once I feel the opportunity to get who they had in mind was handed to them. It doesn't feel like the only coach standing this time.It feels different at least in the way of the process.

Having the time and the means to search some candidates whether be first choice or not. I just really hope the FO gets this right.

Here's to the last interview and hopefully a good hire soon.Who ever that may be.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 02:44 AM
I dont see how Brian Dumboll got in the front door at Berea.
His resume was the most lacking of all.the coaching candidates.
McDaniels looks to be the front runner
He's came from.the most successful culture
In the NFL
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 02:49 AM
Quote:

The Good.. The Bad...and the Dumboll

One good way to look at it...the FO didn't cancel any future interviews after his..

Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 04:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
His resume was the most lacking of all.the coaching candidates.
McDaniels looks to be the front runner
He's came from.the most successful culture
In the NFL

Daboll was with NE from 2000 - 2006 and 2013 - 2016
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 12:28 PM
... hopefully a good hire soon.Who ever that may be.

The question is : Will Haslam listen to Depo's recommendation?
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 01:49 PM

That's just plain false.

Tell that to Julian Edelman, SB MVP.

Dude isn't all that talented - but he grinds and plays with heart.

Hines Ward, another SB MVP - wasn't exactly the greatest talent, but grinded his way.

Heart and grind beats talent any day on a football field.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 01:53 PM
Analytics isn't about size and speed. It is about what the results were in specific situations (the more parameters the more precise and the more data needed) Analytics is about trying to predict what might happen in the future under the same situations based on information from the past.

Football guys get you Peyton Manning...but also can get you Gerard Warren or Vernon Gohlston

Analytics becomes more important in later rounds as the success of "football guys" becomes remote. Is it a sure thing...absolutely not...But it isn't about letting analytics make the decision...it is about providing another layer of information to allow you to make better decisions....

Analytics is like the mechanic you take a car to before buying it. He can tell you that this model has brake issues or electrical problems....does that mean that specific car will have those issues??? Absolutely not...But you know have more information from which to make you car purchase decision.

There is a big misconception in analytics.

Analytics isn't about trying to figure out "whats going to happen" either.

Its about looking at the historical data, finding a pattern of said data, to try to predict the best possible outcome in a situation. Its about leveraging risk.

In banking, we base a ton of our rates, products, and fees on analytics. We look at trends and modules not to "predict" what is going to happen per say, but to leverage and put ourselves in the best possible outcome for moving forward.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 01:56 PM
I posit that lack of heart certainly can lose you games. Saw some of that this year. May boil it down to execution or other attributes. But sometimes it rears up inside you, beyond doing your job to devastating the other guy in a way that you won't be denied. Like art: I know it when I see it.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 01:57 PM

If true, this seems like a poor way of going about getting your HC.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 02:08 PM

There is a big misconception in analytics.

Analytics isn't about trying to figure out "whats going to happen" either.

Its about looking at the historical data, finding a pattern of said data, to try to predict the best possible outcome in a situation. Its about leveraging risk.

In banking, we base a ton of our rates, products, and fees on analytics. We look at trends and modules not to "predict" what is going to happen per say, but to leverage and put ourselves in the best possible outcome for moving forward.

well first...I did say what "might" happen. and there is a reason we call it "Predictive Analytics".

I work in Data Operations with a Large Hospital System and have been working in Analytics, Reporting, Business Intelligence, and Data for going on 23 years. I was really just trying to simplify things for the purpose of that particular misconception. I did start an analytics thread before , but time constraints did not allow me to elaborate on it...I may have to reconsider bringing it back from the dead...
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 02:11 PM

I just checked Breer's twitter, and I didn't see this mentioned anywhere.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 02:12 PM
I say BS
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 02:20 PM

He said it on a radio interview - I heard it. In context, he said (paraphrasing): "McDaniels will either be named Browns' HC by 5PM this afternoon or he will pull his name from contention at 1 or 2PM.".
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 02:22 PM

He talked about it on 92.3 this morning with Ken and Lima.

A little clarification, however...
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 02:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave

He said it on a radio interview - I heard it. In context, he said (paraphrasing): "McDaniels will either be named Browns' HC by 5PM this afternoon or he will pull his name from contention at 1 or 2PM.".

And? So basically he is saying they are either going to hire him or not - which is exactly how ANY interview ends. . . . .

McD has an agent - who has been in talks with the Browns already, I am sure they know exactly the type of deal he wants already.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 02:33 PM
hahaha,

Albert Just TWEETED ME!!! He didn't say that.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 03:21 PM
Lol silly season ...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 05:18 PM
Ah, the reliable media outlet known as Twitter strikes again.
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 05:28 PM
Its hilarious. I have guys on twitter arguing with me he said it, im like bro - he literally just replied he did not say that. lol.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 05:40 PM
Its hilarious. I have guys on twitter arguing with me he said it, im like bro - he literally just replied he did not say that. lol.

I believe the key word in that tweet to you is "that". He did say words to that effect, but it was of a more binary nature, as in an "either/or" statement.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 06:32 PM
j/c...

Still nothing out of Berea...
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 06:34 PM
j/c...

Now that's funny, right there!!!!
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 06:35 PM
Thats hilarious !!!!
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 06:37 PM
j/c...

Now that's funny, right there!!!!

We are selecting the next anticoach?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 06:56 PM
That's been the track record thus far.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 07:23 PM
j/c...

Clearly, Daryl Ruiter was on Dawgtalkers this afternoon and stole your thunder.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 07:31 PM
The Dangerous One!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 07:42 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns HC search - 01/10/20 08:06 PM
© DawgTalkers.net