Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1719955 01/12/20 02:15 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Now that we have hired Stefanski, who do we bring in at OC and DC?

IMO, this is the most critical aspect of this hire. Who is on Stefanski’s list?

Does he bring in Kubiak as OC?

Does he retain anyone from last year?

I can tell you that if we bring in Kubiak as OC I will be encouraged.

I will not be happy if we retain Wilks ( don’t think it will happen) and get rid of Priefer, I’ll be pissed.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If it is Kubiak....I assume it will be Klint Kubiak as Gary is Assistant HC with the Vikings. Klint may not be a bad hire but there are several guys that came with the two Kubiak's to the Vikings that might be better.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Kubiak isn't coming here.

no way, He will either stay put in Vikings land or take the OC role in Vikings Land.

According to reports Stephanski was warned by coleagues to NOT take the Browns job, and I'd bet Kubiak was one of the people telling him not to come here.

Kubiak will avoid this toxic atmosphere and being fired every year to 18 months like the plague.

Legend
Legend
I wish Kubiak

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
Lol no!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Rookie
Rookie
W
i heard Stefanski would probably bring in Shurmur as the OC. Its what the Haslam's deserve at this point.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Hoping that Stefanski does NOT call plays. The rest? I doubt I'll know enough to form an opinion until they start playing games on Sundays. . . The only potential OC I was keen on was McDaniel from SF if he'd been paired with Saleh and that was only based off Andrew Hawkins high praise and his association with Shanny.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Throw boatloads of money at Wade Phillips and your new HC won't have to worry about that side of the ball.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Throw boatloads of money at Wade Phillips and your new HC won't have to worry about that side of the ball.

I'd be all in on that move.

Legend
Legend

Hearing multiple teams have inquired about 49ers Run-Game Coordinator Mike McDaniel for OC.

I played one season under Mike, & if they want an “offensive guru”, Id bet ever dollar in my account that no other candidate understands offensive football the way he does. EVERY. DOLLAR.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I don't see any reason why McDaniel couldn't be an OC under Stefanski. The offenses are very similar as the Shanahan Offense was built from the Kubiak offense. I say why not? Let's do it.

Make it happen Cap'n!!!

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
M
Legend
Legend
M
That was what Andrew Hawkins said that made me high on McDaniel. Maybe it could still happen but would have thought it was a more likely scenario if he was brought in by a guy he worked with already.

O
Legend
Legend
O
As long as he brings in an OC, he'll be starting miles ahead of our last several hires.

Wade Philips would mean a switch to a 3-4, right? Hate any major scheme shifts, but he'd be such a proven DC hire is get on board.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
As long as he brings in an OC, he'll be starting miles ahead of our last several hires.

Wade Philips would mean a switch to a 3-4, right? Hate any major scheme shifts, but he'd be such a proven DC hire is get on board.

Yep, that's a good point. I'm not sure I would want to switch back.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

Yep, that's a good point. I'm not sure I would want to switch back.

For a DC as good as Phillips - I would 100% make the transition.

C
Legend
Legend
C

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown

no way, He will either stay put in Vikings land or take the OC role in Vikings Land.

According to reports Stephanski was warned by coleagues to NOT take the Browns job, and I'd bet Kubiak was one of the people telling him not to come here.

Kubiak will avoid this toxic atmosphere and being fired every year to 18 months like the plague.

And you know this how? lol you always make me laugh smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C

1. Every team plays multiple fronts. Switching from 4-3 to 3-4 means basically nothing.

2. Wade Phillips probably isn't coming.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

And you know this how? lol you always make me laugh smile

I know because Gary Kubiak is currently the Assistant Head Coach of the Vikings, so the Vikings can and will block any request we have for him.

Kubiak will be OC/Assistant Head Coach with the Vikings next year.

I also don't think Klint Kubiak will leave either, He went there because his dad did, that's the whole reason Klint went there in the 1st place. Klint is obviously not even close to being ready as an OC...He has only been in the league since 2013, and only as a WR coach, O quality control coach, and QB coach. He is still coming up in the league.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Yup, this is most likely to be our OC

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Yup, this is most likely to be our OC

Psssssssssssssssst

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Go Bears! Keep Shurmur away from us.

Hope we keep Campen and Priefer. Other than that not too concerned about the other "returning" coaches. Hope Wolf sticks around to help Berry with OL picks.

I'm pretty much in wait and see mode. Curious to see who he can pull for a coaching staff.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Possible OC candidate?
Good chance he gets at least a look as a position coach with us

Broncos fired OC Rich Scangarello.

Scangarello's reign as Broncos coordinator lasted just one year and three quarterbacks. A member of the Kyle Shanahan coaching tree, Scangarello oversaw one of the league's lowest-scoring offenses, but it was hardly all his fault. The quarterback carousel was compounded by a run-first edict from coach Vic Fangio. Regardless, the Broncos' offense was certainly no one's idea of good. Whoever replaces Scangarello will inherit interesting building blocks in Drew Lock, Courtland Sutton and Noah Fant, as well as a competent backfield. Scangarello could reunite with Shanahan in San Francisco.

RELATED: Denver Broncos
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jan 12, 2020, 4:03 PM ET

https://www.rotoworld.com

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
If Kubiak is under contract with the Vikes, then he is not coming.

Zimmer does not let guys out of their contract. Period. Its a loyalty thing. He feels it goes both ways.

Shurmur wanted to take Stefanski to New York. It was a big NO. And it would have been for an elevated position then what he had on the vikes staff.

Some people are speculating Shurmur back to the vikes. I don't see that happening. Behind the scenes, it sounds like Zimmer and Shurmur had words about the Stefanski thing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester
Possible OC candidate?

Scangarello's reign as Broncos coordinator lasted just one year and three quarterbacks. A member of the Kyle Shanahan coaching tree, Scangarello oversaw one of the league's lowest-scoring offenses, but it was hardly all his fault. The quarterback carousel was compounded by a run-first edict from coach Vic Fangio. Regardless, the Broncos' offense was certainly no one's idea of good. Whoever replaces Scangarello will inherit interesting building blocks in Drew Lock, Courtland Sutton and Noah Fant, as well as a competent backfield. Scangarello could reunite with Shanahan in San Francisco.

That's encouraging..LOL!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Jester
Possible OC candidate?

Definitely. Anyone who has worked with Brad Childress, Pat Shurmur, and/or Gary Kubiak deserves a look from us.

We need to wait and see what Minnesota does with their offensive staff before anything happens. My guess is that they promote Klint Kubiak to offensive coordinator.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
None of this is confirmed as far as I know....

The talk on Cleveland.com is that Priefer is staying.

They also mention that Wilkes was the choice of Stefanski last year when thinking of DC. That does not mean it stays that way. But I would think Wilkes has a leg up. They mention missing his starting CB's for 4 games early, missing Garrett for 6 games...Missing OV for 8 games and had unknowns on the DLine down the stretch. Still was 7th against the pass but 22nd overall.

So while he may have been the choice last season...that doesn't mean he is the choice this season...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PETE314

They also mention that Wilkes was the choice of Stefanski last year when thinking of DC. That does not mean it stays that way. But I would think Wilkes has a leg up. They mention missing his starting CB's for 4 games early, missing Garrett for 6 games...Missing OV for 8 games and had unknowns on the DLine down the stretch. Still was 7th against the pass but 22nd overall.

So while he may have been the choice last season...that doesn't mean he is the choice this season...

I agree that Wilks faced a lot of adversity because of injuries and suspensions ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who knows if anyone meddled there too...

R
Legend
Legend
R
I want a D coordinator that is going to play man press all game.

And then when one of the corners gets beat, they don't panic and revert back.

The identity of this defense should be island corners and turning the front seven loose.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I want a D coordinator that is going to play man press all game.

And then when one of the corners gets beat, they don't panic and revert back.

The identity of this defense should be island corners and turning the front seven loose.

Gregg Williams...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Pass. Shurmy stunk it up here. No. Just say no.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O

I agree that Wilks faced a lot of adversity because of injuries and suspensions ...

So what was the issue during the Denver game, then? I give Wilkes a little credit, not a lot, for dealing with the injuries, etc. But our D playing as poorly as they did in games where they should've bulldozed the opposing O Is a huge red flag.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P

So what was the issue during the Denver game, then? I give Wilkes a little credit, not a lot, for dealing with the injuries, etc. But our D playing as poorly as they did in games where they should've bulldozed the opposing O Is a huge red flag.

I'm not saying we should retain him and I see what your saying ...

Legend
Legend
Move on from Wilkes; keep Priefer. Don't think we have LBs for his setup as played. We had problems all over the place and couldn't get off the field consistently.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd hope Stefanski would consider who has been here before and the feelings that linger after this season and just move in a whole different direction with his coaching personnel. I wouldn't want to go busting open old scabs here...

Except special teams. Deserving to stay.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 01/12/20 06:20 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not advocating by any means, but having some continuity in the assistant ranks is important IMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
McDaniel sounds like a good choice

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
McDaniel sounds like a good choice

I doubt Shanahan lets him leave if he doesn't get play calling.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OC / DC Search

Link Copied to Clipboard