Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
R
Legend
Legend
R
The team will never be good with the Haslams as owners. People need to start recognizing this. There is no reason to get excited for next year or any future years they own the team. And that has nothing to do with the coach they hired. No coach can make it work here.

He's surrounded himself with yes men. Sounds like the new coach is one as well.

Awesome.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My 2 cents... I have no idea about this guy one way or the other and frankly neither do the vast majority of you. A point I was making repeatedly and Dan Labbe also said in his most recent article is that I hope they hired according to who they think the person is, the potential coach and not from resume’ or preconceived notions or sales pitches. Ultimately you’re looking for presence, leadership, organization, discipline, communication, big picture thinking, attention to detail, emotional resilience and maturity and internal strength. Of course football philosophy and X’s & O’s matter but not as much as getting the team and all the coaches and front office pulling in the same direction, everyone understanding the picture of what they’re trying to create, everyone understanding what the hell going is on. We’ve lacked that sorely for a very long time. I concert hope that is what they were looking for and that is why they landed on Stephansky. Here’s to hope.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

This shouldn't be concerning, right?

Haslam, always shoehorns himself in there.

We are SO effed.

Maybe, he will sell the team or have a heart attack?

Sad we have to hope bad things for someone. Unfortunately, its just... that bad.

Kitchens 2.0 is not the answer.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
JC

I'll reserve judgement on the hire when I see the results

..but can someone tell me why anyone was so high on McDaniels? Based on his past head coach experience I would stay far far away

O
Legend
Legend
O
I like that I'm hearing that he's able to be flexible. It sounds like he's been hired because of leadership, and not because his scheme is the flavor of the month. I'm nowhere near sold, but I'm very eager to see his coordinator hires.

I'm hoping that thing about multi-hour owner-coach meeting was nothing or at least an exaggeration. While he does report to Haslam, weeklies sound like way too much.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
Can someone tell me what the hell Dee does?

How many times have we heard while her husband is a moron, she's actually smart? And she's going to be involved this time? And she's in Haslam's ear? And she's going to have a bigger role and save Jimmy from himself? Because you know she's really smart and ...blah, blah, blah.

I think she's as bad as Jimmy. I've never heard anything being attributed to her other than wanting to keep Hue...which is bad. Yet not only does she get a free pass, she's lauded as the anti-Jimmy. Yet we're never any good.

I read she wasn't even in the interviews.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
can someone tell me why anyone was so high on McDaniels? Based on his past head coach experience I would stay far far away

Look like the FO did.... Not sure everyone was so high on him..

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Dee is just as dumb, despite what any narrative says otherwise. Nobody can be smart who’s run this organization

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
If he doesn’t win, I’m all for calling him “Steph”anski.

Cool, more sexism on the board!

Cool is right. Know why they call it PMS? Mad cow disease was already taken. grin

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I think everyone needs to chill.

No one knows anything about how this guy is gonna do. He wasn't my first choice but what everyone says is that he is smart, adaptable, works great with others and knows when he needs help. If Freddy had just one of those attributes, he'd still be here. If he can do what he did with Cousins and Keenum (two lesser QBs than Baker, imo) than I am willing to give him a shot. He will, at least, not make a fool out of himself. The most important decision he will make is DC. If he gets that wrong, we have no chance. We can't have another Wilks here.

The way I see it, this is our last legitimate chance for a long time - if something can't be made if this roster, no one will ever want to play here.

I worry about the FO more than coach.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Alright, the more I think about this, I don't like it.

1. By all accounts Haslam is a nice, means well kind of guy.
2. I believe McDaniels believes this and actually likes Jimmy.
3. He would have been willing to work for him because he does like him, but the working relationship would have to have boundaries, basically Haslam being the owner and letting the football people do their job.
4. Haslam, JW, and Depo...three people who know nothing about the NFL, couldn't live with that arrangement.
5. Stefanski could. He was willing to allow Haslam, JW, and Depo to impact his success or failure. That's not a leader. That's weakness when you allow three individuals who collectively know nothing impact your job.
6. This will not end well. There will be cracks as early as training camp. We will never know if Baker is good or not or could have been good or not.

What. A. Cluster.

Legend
Legend

I’m guessing Haslam views himself as a jerry Jones type. He’s on some overlord stuff right now.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish

I’m guessing Haslam views himself as a jerry Jones type. He’s on some overlord stuff right now.
I’m okay with a meeting with analytics and football guys, but this seems like too much w/Jimmy

Legend
Legend
Curious what McDaniel suggested to change

<><

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
So if Kevin Stefanski flops will Paul DePodesta be fired? I don't like this hire at all. Hope I end up being wrong and he is a success.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Good question

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Just hire competent people and you won't need to do stuff like this.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I posted this in the Schemes thread, but it applies here as well.

Here's an example of when analytics and coaches meeting up to discuss would be beneficial, whereas, Freddie just ignored the numbers...

Legend
Legend
its funny seeing people on twitter try to defend haslam.

how many coaches have we've been through under his watch? how many erratic firings and questionable hirings have we've had under his watch?

now we're suppose to believe he's doing things the correct way? man please. the only reason why any of us tolerate haslam is because we literally have no choice as fans of this team, or he would've been voted off the island a while back.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Well now that's just bu....

That actually makes a ton of sense.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
So, who is going to call the plays next season?

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
So, like, have your analytics group identify strengths and weaknesses of an opponent and make sure the coaches have a game plan that meshes with that?

Balderdash!! The nerve! Harumph!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DaveyD

The fans. They’re going to take them from a live Twitter feed.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
So, like, have your analytics group identify strengths and weaknesses of an opponent and make sure the coaches have a game plan that meshes with that?

I wonder if that's how things were being done last season. Monken said that there were plays being called that had not been practiced ..... what if those were Haslam decisions?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DePodesta

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wanted Rivera or McCarthy or even McDaniels.

Stefanski really impressed me with his offensive scheme yesterday.

Great Hire!!!...LOL!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BADdog

DePodesta

Post of the decade.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I wonder if that's how things were being done last season. Monken said that there were plays being called that had not been practiced ..... what if those were Haslam decisions?

Not allowed. The sideline cannot have communications with anyone during a game....and also, the complete opposite of how the above statement would work.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

This is gross.

Also read the Monday meetings will include game plans with Jimmy.

So disturbing. This sounds bad.

Everybody reports to Haslam directly. Jimmy's collaborative approach. Proper "alignment".

Leaves one very little room for optimism.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
J/C

Not surprised that a board which leans "feelings over facts" is struggling to understand why a data driven approach is good for football.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

This shouldn't be concerning, right?

Haslam, always shoehorns himself in there.

We are SO effed.

Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Kitchens being a moron shouldn't drive the process.

Hire good people.

Quote:
Daniel Stern, the team’s football analyst, sits beside Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman during games to help decide when to go for it on specific down and distance plays.

The role that was previously held by Running Backs Coach Matt Weiss now belongs to Stern, a behavioral economics major now in his fourth year with the team.

“During the week, Stern, Harbaugh and other members of the Ravens coaching staff come up with a plan for how they want to approach each game from a strategic perspective,” Kapadia wrote. “They decide on a set of rules that will give them the best chance to win, and Stern reminds Harbaugh of those rules on the headset during the game.”

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/lat...analytical-edge

C
Legend
Legend
C

C
Legend
Legend
C

Not joking. I'd throw a ton of money at Warren Sharp to work for the team. Baseball and basketball teams did this during their own analytical revolutions, hire every good analyst you can so that other teams can't have their info anymore.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad

It will probably be lost in the desire for folks to push their specific narrative

But ...

A quote from the canton rep article where this supposed insight into the interview process says

“What follows is our belief about the elements of Stefanski’s interview Thursday and McDaniels’ interview Friday that left Stefanski as Haslam’s seventh head coach since he bought the team in 2012.”

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Ernie Adams has Bill Belichick’s ear, literally. He’s the one charting trends and judging close plays during games, then delivering his instant analysis to the Patriots head coach’s headset.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-englan...ichick-patriots

Quote:
Here's why: Analytics take into account, among dozens of other things, past success rates of similar plays. The history of the NFL is loaded with situations in which coaches went for it on fourth-and-8 from their opponents' 43. But in the entire history of the NFL, does any sane person believe any coach ever went for it while leading by seven points with under three minutes to go in the first half?

The numbers those Ivy League mathematicians, bless their genius souls, spit into [Doug Pederson's] headset with precious time running out on the play clock have been calculated mostly from data of desperation — teams in a hurry to close the gap on deficits that often are more than three points late in games.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/eagles/mc-spt-eagles-doug-pederson-analytics-20170926-story.html

Ravens, Patriots, Eagles.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I understand the people who don't trust Haslam. He is a horrible owner. The worst. I don't trust him either.

That doesn't mean analytics are bad and shouldn't be used. More information is better than less information. Knowledge is power.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
I met Kevin Stefanski a few years ago when he was coaching at the East West Shrine Game. Confident, smart & likeable. He had a good feel for personnel too. Hopefully CLE can finally get over the hump & become a consistent football team.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1216414581846732800

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/13/20 12:52 AM.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Hire Kevin Stefanski

Link Copied to Clipboard