Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1720270 01/12/20 06:20 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
We don't even know who the OC will be so take this all with a grain of salt, but based on this year we can see a little what next years scheme might be.

Min probably used more 21 personnel than anyone else in the NFL. They used the FB a ton and we really don't have one. If we make a FB signing in the off-season it could be foretelling.

Min also probably lined up under center more than anyone else. Our QB has poor footwork so he better make it a priority in the off-season.

A huge chunk of Min's playbook is one running play and a ton of other plays that look like that one running play. It's a smash mouth scheme with a lot of misdirection and play action. An o-lineman that might not be a physically gifted can still excel in the running game if he is smart and takes advantage of the angles given.

Min likes to force you to load guys into the box to stop them and then use play action once you do. For the play action to be effective, your QB has to sell it. This one skill will be crucial in Baker's success in this offense.

That's all that I've got for now, but I'll try to think about it more and add to this.

Anyone else got any other observations of their offense?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Stefanski worked with former Texans and Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak, who is the assistant head coach in Minnesota, to create a Kubiakian-style scheme that marries the running game and the passing game. Kubiak has influenced offensive play-callers like Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay who seek to make the run and pass looks appear exactly the same, and Stefanski emphasized elements like play-action passing and rollouts that are essential elements in a Kubiak offense.

Stefanski sums up this philosophy best: In October, Stefanski told NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero his plays need to “look like, taste like, and smell like the run.”

Setting Saturday’s underwhelming divisional-round result aside, Stefanski’s offense mostly worked. Quarterback Kirk Cousins used play-action on 31.4 percent of his dropbacks, the fifth-highest mark in the NFL. The four quarterbacks above him (Lamar Jackson, Jared Goff, Patrick Mahomes, and Jimmy Garoppolo) all have heralded play-callers calling the shots. Play-action just works—it’s the most efficient play in the league and it should probably be used more.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/1/12/21062601/cleveland-browns-kevin-stefanski-head-coach

C
Legend
Legend
C

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/12/20 06:40 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Link not working.

Quote:
Baker Mayfield's grade of 92.5 was highest in the NFL on boots.

The Vikings ran it the 3rd most in the NFL with Kirk Cousins sporting a 90.1 grade (3rd) and 5th most efficient.

https://twitter.com/JohnKosko3/status/1213125683586764800

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Great stuff cfrs!

Legend
Legend
We better be drafting/signing a good TE group then

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Great stuff cfrs!

Absolutely great stuff thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Stefanski remembers a moment following the 2009 season, when some of the Vikings staffers were studying cut-ups of the Texans’ roll outs and QB keepers designed by Kubiak. “I was just so impressed at how often the quarterback got the edge and the defense just sold out for the run,” Stefanski says. “I can remember watching those and wondering, ‘What is the secret to this thing?’” Watching Kubiak’s scheme bewilder defenders, a light went on in Stefanski’s mind: This is it. “As a young coach, I looked at that offense and thought, ‘That’s what I want it to be whenever I get my chance.’”

Plenty of decision-makers around the NFL seem to agree. Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan are both—directly or indirectly—members of the Kubiak coaching tree. And as teams seek to replicate the successes they’ve had with the Rams and 49ers, respectively, Kubiak’s basic offensive system has spread. Different personnel and packaging preferences cause each iteration to look unique on the surface, but the bones of the scheme are the same: marrying the run and pass together seamlessly to the point that the initial movements of any play—whether it’s a hand-off or play-action fake—look identical. “Think about what it looks like as a defender,” Stefanski says. “When you’re staring at that offense, and you’re watching the play unfold, you’re not quite sure what’s about to happen. That’s ultimately what we’re charged to do.” All that confusion often leads to massive passing windows and chunk gains, but Spielman says the benefits go beyond the on-field results.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-preview/20...ensive-identity

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/12/20 06:52 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker Mayfield's grade of 92.5 was highest in the NFL on boots.... So that means Baker is ( to quote some on the board )better than hot garbage when he rolls out ..ie , Round peg , round hole ! lol

Last edited by waterdawg; 01/12/20 06:52 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can the Browns some how scheme a Baker for Mahomes trade...call Dorsey back for 5 hours make it it happen..

Legend
Legend
If our O resembles Shanahan’s like I’ve been reading, then I’m good with the hire

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
The 2020 offensive scheme will be very similar to year's past,
run,pass,pass,punt.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
The 2020 offensive scheme will be very similar to year's past,
run,pass,pass,punt.

not exactly.
the vikes preferred to run on first, run on second and pass short of the sticks on third, then punt.

this worked until they fell behind- then it was pass, pass, pass and get qb killed.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Thanks,don't watch the Vikes that much.
But they did play one hell of a game against the Saints.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I guarantee two weeks into training camp we will get reports of players not respecting the coach. And hating the offense.

But he will wear a headset on game days so Depo can tell him what to do on every down and distance. So we've got that.

This is why McDaniels demanded what he did.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Thanks,don't watch the Vikes that much.
But they did play one hell of a game against the Saints.

I was kinda shocked that they beat the Saints with Cousins at QB.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I guarantee two weeks into training camp we will get reports of players not respecting the coach. And hating the offense..

that would be an improvement from last year, there were rumblings of discord in the spring.

M
Legend
Legend
M
But he will wear a headset on game days so Depo can tell him what to do on every down and distance. So we've got that.

Rish, it's probably things like this that went on and were ignored by the coaching staff last year that DePo wants someone on the analytics side more involve with the coaching staff...

R
Legend
Legend
R
Kitchens being a moron shouldn't drive the process.

Hire good people.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Hire good people.

Yep - and just say no to drugs, and girls should simple keep their legs crossed.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Yep - and just say no to drugs, and girls should simple keep their legs crossed.

Sure glad no one told me that when I was a teenager.

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C

Hire good people.

Quote:
Daniel Stern, the team’s football analyst, sits beside Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman during games to help decide when to go for it on specific down and distance plays.

The role that was previously held by Running Backs Coach Matt Weiss now belongs to Stern, a behavioral economics major now in his fourth year with the team.

“During the week, Stern, Harbaugh and other members of the Ravens coaching staff come up with a plan for how they want to approach each game from a strategic perspective,” Kapadia wrote. “They decide on a set of rules that will give them the best chance to win, and Stern reminds Harbaugh of those rules on the headset during the game.”

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/lat...analytical-edge

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Stop! You’re pushing an agenda of lawyers know more than blue chip coordinators! You aren’t a real fan with your agenda.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

Everyone wants to win

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:
Stefanski worked with former Texans and Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak, who is the assistant head coach in Minnesota, to create a Kubiakian-style scheme that marries the running game and the passing game. Kubiak has influenced offensive play-callers like Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay who seek to make the run and pass looks appear exactly the same, and Stefanski emphasized elements like play-action passing and rollouts that are essential elements in a Kubiak offense.

Stefanski sums up this philosophy best: In October, Stefanski told NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero his plays need to “look like, taste like, and smell like the run.”

Setting Saturday’s underwhelming divisional-round result aside, Stefanski’s offense mostly worked. Quarterback Kirk Cousins used play-action on 31.4 percent of his dropbacks, the fifth-highest mark in the NFL. The four quarterbacks above him (Lamar Jackson, Jared Goff, Patrick Mahomes, and Jimmy Garoppolo) all have heralded play-callers calling the shots. Play-action just works—it’s the most efficient play in the league and it should probably be used more.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/1/12/21062601/cleveland-browns-kevin-stefanski-head-coach

Good stuff, Dawgs!!!!!!!

I literally just got up thinking, OK u analytical Dawgs, let's see some stuff.

Excellent digging, guys.

PLAY-ACTION....Exactly what Mayfield needs.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Thanks for digging up these articles/info.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Great to see. Hunt doesn't hurt the run or the catch in this framework.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
A heavily bolstered OLine with Chubb and the rest of the talent on this offense in that offense?

Uh, Yes, PLEASE.
We just need to get Njoku to block as well as Kittle and then we can destroy some teams.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Here's an excellent insight into Stefanski's offense along with detailed film breakdown...

https://zonecoverage.com/2019/minnesota-...ffensive-coach/

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll read the article, but I thought Stefanski saw Kubiak's offense and days we'd use that.

Honestly, I like the idea that he's not married to one offense the most about him (if that's the case).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
I embrace the idea of using a Kubiak/Shanahan type offense. Especially, with our personnel.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
I embrace the idea of using a Kubiak/Shanahan type offense. Especially, with our personnel.

With the skill positions, Yes, but this o-line needs some serious upgrades if they are going to be successful. In 2019 Kirk Cousins took more time-to-throw than any other QB but was only sacked 28 times.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree. The OL certainly needs to be upgraded. I expect that to be a focus this offseason.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Agree. The OL certainly needs to be upgraded. I expect that to be a focus this offseason.

When people say this, it makes me think of Shanny's O. Shanny requieres a certain type of lineman across the whole line. Strong but more fast and agile.

We all knew our tackles need upgraded, but will Stefanski also need to change out the interior?

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Bitonio and Tretter.... no. Both should excel in that world.

I'm not even sure who our RG is any longer.... so, yes.
Both Tackles... yes.

Browns is the Browns

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Bitinio and Tretter can play any type of scheme,they are that good.
The others will to be upgraded no matter the scheme.
Don't get caught up that old zone blocking requires this or that type of linemen.Most of these guys have been running zone blocking since hi-school and every team in the NFL employs zone at times.
What zone blocking requires is intelligence and repetition,alot of repetition.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Bitonio and Tretter.... no. Both should excel in that world.

I'm not even sure who our RG is any longer.... so, yes.
Both Tackles... yes.
We had that guy from Buff we traded for right. Teller. I thought he played pretty decent once given the chance. IDK if he is agile enough for the Shanny blocking scheme, I would have to defer that to others.

Both Tackles, yes. Robinson is very slow. Hubbard/whoever we are swapping in and out with at the position - is borderline backup imo.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Hubbard/whoever we are swapping in and out with at the position - is borderline backup imo.

He *was* a career backup until we signed him to make him a starter, so...

Browns is the Browns

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
[quote=willitevachange Hubbard/whoever we are swapping in and out with at the position - is borderline backup imo.

He *was* a career backup until we signed him to make him a starter, so... [/quote]

gosh dont remind me. I remember guys very excited about brining him in, I live in Pittsburgh market - I also remember ALOT of them happy they let him go.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offensive Scheme

Link Copied to Clipboard