Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
McDaniel sounds like a good choice

McDaniels is a douche, we dogged a bullet.

Oh, different McDaniels. LOL

Last edited by Tulsa; 01/12/20 07:20 PM.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

McDaniels is a douche, we dogged a bullet.

I think he means the Niners assistant. Note the last of an "s" on the end of his name. Mike McDaniel/ Josh McDaniels.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 01/12/20 07:22 PM.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I doubt Shanahan lets him leave if he doesn't get play calling.

Well we don't want Stefanski handling the play calling. This has been the one consistent with our head coaches, trying to do the whole dang thing. Just be the head coach, and let the assistants do their thing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I am not advocating by any means, but having some continuity in the assistant ranks is important IMO.

I think you definitely have to consider that the HC can affect his assistants and not only the players. Freddie apparently was a downer. The coaches may have been totally disenfranchised.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: bigf00t

Well we don't want Stefanski handling the play calling. This has been the one consistent with our head coaches, trying to do the whole dang thing. Just be the head coach, and let the assistants do their thing.

Confirmation bias. Plenty of head coaches call their own plays. Both ways work.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Throw boatloads of money at Wade Phillips and your new HC won't have to worry about that side of the ball.

You really want to switch back to a 3-4 again? That means scrapping the entire defensive line we have just built. It also means trading away Miles Garrett. He does not fit in a 3-4. He is NOT a linebacker. If you want to do yet another complete rebuild of the D then, by all means, bring in Phillips. We can try to draft a nose at #10 Then fine two 3-4 style Ends in the 2nd and 3rd or in FA. Oh, and you better plan on finding some linebackers that fit too.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Both ways work elsewhere. HERE it does not work. Ever. You want a guy that has never been a head coach on any level before doing both the HC AND OC duties? That worked out GREAT this last year.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mike McDaniel on O sounds good to me. I think Schwartz would complement him well, but think he's under contract in Philly.

I know he's a meme as an HC, but what about Jeff Fisher for DC? He had to navigate some craziness with team moves and disfunction and could maybe be a good sounding board for a first time HC like Stefanski.

Trying to think of someone with some fire. And experience.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Both ways work elsewhere. HERE it does not work. Ever. You want a guy that has never been a head coach on any level before doing both the HC AND OC duties? That worked out GREAT this last year.

Why doesn't it work "here"?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Throw boatloads of money at Wade Phillips and your new HC won't have to worry about that side of the ball.

You really want to switch back to a 3-4 again? That means scrapping the entire defensive line we have just built. It also means trading away Miles Garrett. He does not fit in a 3-4. He is NOT a linebacker. If you want to do yet another complete rebuild of the D then, by all means, bring in Phillips. We can try to draft a nose at #10 Then fine two 3-4 style Ends in the 2nd and 3rd or in FA. Oh, and you better plan on finding some linebackers that fit too.

So you don't know how defenses work in 2020?

Good to know.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kevin...ay-to-cleveland

Interesting names mentioned.

In addition to the San Fran coordinators the article also mentions Bill Musgrave.Also Darrell Bevell and Eric Bienemy.

Others of note Singletary for linebackers and Hank Fraley for Oline ( I would be good with that. Didn't Hank's wife post on here when he was with the Browns?)

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Mike McDaniel on O sounds good to me. I think Schwartz would complement him well, but think he's under contract in Philly.

I know he's a meme as an HC, but what about Jeff Fisher for DC? He had to navigate some craziness with team moves and disfunction and could maybe be a good sounding board for a first time HC like Stefanski.

Jeff Fisher hasn't been a defensive coordinator since 1994.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I am by no means an knowledgeable about defense but I find it hard to believe that Garrett, with that speed and athleticism, could not play LB.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kevin...ay-to-cleveland

Interesting names mentioned.

In addition to the San Fran coordinators the article also mentions Bill Musgrave.Also Darrell Bevell and Eric Bienemy.

Others of note Singletary for linebackers and Hank Fraley for Oline ( I would be good with that. Didn't Hank's wife post on here when he was with the Browns?)

I don't think that article is very informed or accurate.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
I am by no means an knowledgeable about defense but I find it hard to believe that Garrett, with that speed and athleticism, could not play LB.

No one would ask him to play linebacker. SpiritBro doesn't know what he's talking about.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So you are saying he's well rested then. thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All a guess. KS has his list and probably by now most of his staff has either said yes, no or waiting to gain their release.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Good god!
My response would have been,if there were so F'n good,why were you so F'n bad?

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope they meant players...

R
Legend
Legend
R
Yeah but Stefanski learned Kubiak's verbage!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm just throwing a name out there that is probably under the radar.

Rick Dennison

He was one of the guys brought into Minnesota with Kubiak last year.

He has 15 years coaching experience and 8 years experience as an OC.

He was OC for Mike Shannahan in Denver. He and Kubiak have traveled together throughout his career. If KS wants Kubiak and can't get him maybe he goes with Dennison.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I should've been more clear that I wasn't trying to jump down your throat. I'm really really torn on Wilkes.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Because he was a defensive-minded HC from then until 2016.

Keep him away from Baker, but I think he still knows defense.

Do you have a DC suggestion? I'm open to hearing it. I'm still looking, but so far the actually available options look underwhelming.

Fiercely Independent.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

Why doesn't it work "here"?

IMO- because our coaches have been to arrogant or insecure or both. I'm thinking more on the offensive side here, the ones that have called the defense seemed to handle things a bit better. The partnership with an offensive coordinator has been a bad mix. Either a puppet that had nothing to offer, or a more established guy that was ignored. It just doesn't seem to work with a newbie coach, especially the inexperienced ones. AND especially if they have not surrounded themselves with other voices of wisdom. Kitchens actually had the experienced guy, he was just too stubborn to listen to him. Hue was too insecure to have anybody of use, and too arrogant to listen anyways.

I'm not saying that Stefanski is arrogant or insecure. But he is a newbie. I'd just rather that he mans the ship, delegates the power and holds it all together.

Legend
Legend
J/C ... if we have to give McDaniel play calling to get him here, I’d do it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Because he was a defensive-minded HC from then until 2016.

Keep him away from Baker, but I think he still knows defense.

Do you have a DC suggestion? I'm open to hearing it. I'm still looking, but so far the actually available options look underwhelming.

I would like to see Joe Woods.

He's the current defensive passing game coord for the 49ers. He was a DB coach for the Vikings back when Stefanski was QB coach. 26 years coaching experience, mostly as a DB coach, but he was a Defensive Coordinator for the Broncos under Kubiak.

Everywhere he's been has had an awesome pass defense. He was the DB coach in Denver when Harris, Talib, Ward and Stewart all made the Pro Bowl in 2016.

We have a bunch of Young talent at DB and he would help develop that.

Legend
Legend

Wilks? I agree I also am torn.

He had to handle a lot of key injuries.

But there were in game situations where his defense had the wrong personnel group pre-snap.

His base 4-2 suffered against the run.

He has a good reputation but my guess is both Wilks and Monken will be replaced.

The rest?

New qb coach for sure. Special teams played well. Campen has a great reputation.

What really counts that is often overlooked in regime change like this; the scouting group.

We will hire a new GM. How that personnel group of scouts and personnel directors etc. are handled is important.

There are a load of big decisions to be made on the roster.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
The 49ers will be "happy" with us if we snag both McDaniels and Woods.

By most accounts, McDaniels has an inventive offensive mind. Sure would be young and inexperienced tagged with a young and inexperienced head coach. If given time to develop, it could work.

I don't really know anything about Woods.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Who does Paul DePodesta want for OC and DC? He seems to be the guy in charge.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
Joe Woods is interesting

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe Woods does sound interesting. First interview I listened to was him talking about giving up almost 200 yards to Kittle, though. I've seen plenty of getting torched by TEs, but I'll try not to hold it against him too much. Kittle is a good one at least.

I'm still trying to dig in to him more.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kevin...y-to-cleveland/

The Cleveland Browns have decided to hire Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, who has spent all 14 of his professional coaching seasons in Minnesota, as the franchise's 18th head coach. With the grand decision behind them, the attention turns to filling out the assistant coaching staff in addition to finding a new general manager.

Here's the latest on who might be in the mix and who is already in the fold.

Coaching positions filled:
Check back for all of the latest updates on Stefanski's first coaching staff in Cleveland as they become available.

Vacant coaching positions:
Offensive coordinator
ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported that the Browns are not expected to retain offensive coordinator Todd Monken. Monken was hired onto former head coach Freddie Kitchens' first staff in Cleveland, but he did not call the plays. The coach is well respected around the league and is apparently being considered for college play-calling opportunities, which is a large step down compared to where he expected to be at this point.

There have been some reports suggesting San Francisco 49ers pass game coordinator Mike LaFleur or 49ers run game coordinator Mike McDaniel are the offensive coordinators of choice for Stefanski. Neither appears to have coached with Stefanski at any point in their careers. The addition of either would be a slam dunk for the Browns.

Vikings assistant head coach and offensive advisor Gary Kubiak would be another potential hire. Stefanski recommended the addition of Kubiak last offseason to install a similar system to what has made San Francisco more successful all season. California offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave could be a sleeper candidate.

Darrell Bevell and Eric Bieniemy would likely be options if they were not employed in the same capacity with the Detroit Lions and Kansas City Chiefs respectively. Both have previously spent time on Minnesota's staff.

Defensive coordinator
49ers defensive backs/passing game coordinator Joe Woods would figure to be a strong candidate for the position. He spent eight seasons with Minnesota as a defensive backs coach from 2006-2013. The Pennsylvania native previously served as a defensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos on Vance Joseph's staff.

Indianapolis Colts defensive backs/cornerbacks coach Jonathan Gannon could be an option. Gannon is an intriguing option because he is originally from Cleveland and attended St. Ignatius High School. He served as assistant defensive backs/quality control coach for Minnesota from 2014-2017.

Special teams coordinator
The best option for special teams coordinator might already be on staff. Mike Priefer, the incumbent, served in the same role on the Vikings staff. A native of Cleveland, Priefer first served as a graduate assistant at Navy in 1994. In 2006, he was named the special teams coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs. He has fulfilled that same role with the Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings and Chiefs ever since.

Priefer has a game's worth of head coaching experience, as well, as he was named the acting head coach for the Week 13 game against the Dallas Cowboys in 2016 when Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer had to undergo emergency eye surgery. The Cowboys would lose that game 17-15 on a Thursday night in Minnesota.

Wide receivers coach
Chad O'Shea spent three seasons on Minnesota's coaching staff from 2006-2008. During that time, he served as an offensive assistant, wide receivers and special teams coach. O'Shea followed that with 10 seasons in New England as the wide receivers coach. When Brian Flores accepted the Miami Dolphins head coaching job, he hired O'Shea to be his offensive coordinator. The union lasted just one season.

Quarterbacks
Klint Kubiak served as quarterbacks coach of the Vikings in 2019. He was brought on along with his father prior to the season. If his father joins the Browns in some capacity, it is reasonable to think Klint might join him again. The 32 year old had previously served as offensive assistant and quarterbacks coach of the Broncos from 2016-2018.

Tight ends
Former Detroit Lions offensive line coach Jeff Davidson would make a lot of sense for either the tight ends or offensive line coaching vacancies. He coached the tight ends with the Patriots 1997 and then again from 2002-2004. The 52 year old was also the offensive line coach for the VIkings from 2011-2015. The majority of his career has been spent coaching the offensive line though. In 2005, Davidson was named offensive line coach of the Browns. The following year, he served as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator under head coach Romeo Crennel.

Davidson played five NFL season with the Broncos and New Orleans Saints. The 52 year old was born in Akron, Ohio before being raised in Westerville, Ohio.

Offensive line
Davidson could theoretically fill this role as well. Former Browns center Hank Fraley would be an interesting candidate if he were not already employed by the Detroit Lions. Fraley served on the Minnesota coaching staff as an assistant offensive line coach from 2014-2016.

Linebackers
If Stefanski wants to add a respected, veteran coach to his coaching staff then he does not have to look any further than Mike Singletary. Singletary previously served as head coach of the 49ers. In addition to his illustrious playing career, the 61 year old served as linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens from 2003-2004 and special assistant to the head coach/linebackers coach for the Vikings from 2011-2013.

Vacant general manager position:
The Browns parted ways with general manager John Dorsey shortly after the decision to cut ties with Kitchens. During a press conference that followed, owner Jimmy Haslam acknowledged that he hoped to hire a new head coach and then allow that coach to be involved in the franchise's search for a new general manager.

"We are going to hire the coach first and then we will do the GM search. The coach will be involved in that process but will not have the final say. In you all's terms, we will not have an 'arranged marriage.' Let me just continue on because I think I know what you are going to ask, the coach and the GM will report to ownership as equals and obviously married up with each other," Haslam said.

There are a few candidates who make sense in connection with Stefanski. It sounds as though current Philadelphia Eagles vice president of football operations Andrew Berry is odds on favorite for the role. He previously served as vice president of player personnel in Cleveland from 2016-2018. Berry believes in the involvement of analytics and has previously worked with chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta. Vikings assistant general manager George Paton would be another name to watch.

For the time being, the Browns have retained the services of Dorsey's trusted deputies: assistant general manager Eliot Wolf and vice president of player personnel Alonzo Highsmith. Berry has worked with each, as well.

M
Legend
Legend
M
A lot of quality on that list .... I have no clue how probable some of them are. If we can get either of the SF guys to come here as OC I would be a happy camper.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888
A lot of quality on that list .... I have no clue how probable some of them are. If we can get either of the SF guys to come here as OC I would be a happy camper.

If he let's them call the plays.
I have never been a fan of a HC, especially a 1st time HC in his rookie season, calling plays. The HC needs to focus on the big picture of the game. Trying to do that and call plays is just too much in my opinion.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I can't believe that anyone who has watched Wilks this year would ever be anything but outraged at the idea of him staying. His was the worst, most ill-prepared, poorly schemed defense I can ever remember here, regardless of who was hurt or suspended.

I will stroke out if that guy is retained.

Last edited by redddog; 01/12/20 09:53 PM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
The Wilkes that coordinated the D that held the Rams in check and contributed to the drubbing we put on the Ravens can stay.

The Wilkes that somehow schemed up a D that made a QB who'd never thrown an NFL pass look like an Pro Bowler needs to never work for an NFL team again.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
Don't forget about the guy who makes duck sounds.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
The Wilkes that coordinated the D that held the Rams in check and contributed to the drubbing we put on the Ravens can stay.

The Wilkes that somehow schemed up a D that made a QB who'd never thrown an NFL pass look like an Pro Bowler needs to never work for an NFL team again.

So, which way do you lean when you know it’s a package deal? You get both or nothing.

#GMSTRONG
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OC / DC Search

Link Copied to Clipboard