Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It makes me nervous thinking about potentially starting 2 rookie tackles. I can't see the scenario under which the OLine coach or KS is going to allow that.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Except for one thing; the 2 rookie OT might be better than what we started this past season!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
::sigh:: True dat

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
P
Legend
Legend
P
I pretty much agree with you. I don't think they'll go the route of two rookie OT's. It's possible but I don't find it likely.

What I will focus on is LT possibilities in the draft. I will rule out every candidate that has more brawn than technique. The indication is we will be running the zone blocking scheme. In today's NFL outside edge rushers possess both size and speed. In both cases that takes an athletic LT.

That's why I was so high on Joe Thomas. Joe Thomas is a generational player. They rarely come along. So it's not as if I feel we're going to draft another Joe Thomas. But in terms of technique, hand work, footwork and athleticism, he's most certainly the "prototypical type" of LT we should be targeting.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree. I don’t see us having two rookie OT’s. If we come away with an OT and a DT with our first two picks I’d be happy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With the 10th selection in the 2020 NFL Draft ... The Cleveland Browns select OT from Iowa ... Tristan Wirfs

[Linked Image]

D
Legend
Legend
D
Yahoo Sports mock draft has top 3 LT gone by pick #8 in the first round:

Tristan Wirfs, Iowa @ #4 to Giants

Jedrick Wills, Alabama @ #5 to Dolphins

Andrew Thomas, Georgia @ #8 to Cardinals

Mekhi Becton, Louisville @ #10 to Browns

https://sports.yahoo.com/postbowl-season-nfl-mock-draft-four-q-bs-land-in-round-1-163246345.html

We might need to trade up if we want a guy who's ready to start year 1 in the NFL

C
Legend
Legend
C
My guess is that a couple of trade ups will allow a tackle to fall to us. If not trade down.

Hopefully we address the tackle position somewhat in free agency instead of going into the season with someone like Greg Robinson as our starter.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Miami has #5, #18, and #26 in the first round. I wonder if Mike Brown is dumb enough to trade out of #1 for a haul of Miami picks. A trade like that could start a chain reaction that might push one of the top 3 LT down to us.

Legend
Legend
My top 4 would probably be:

Simmons LB/DB
Wills OT
Thomas OT
Wirfs OT

I figure one of those 4 will fall to us, unless nobody likes WRs or QBs.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
We picked a good draft to need a tackle.

There are quite a few good ones, and getting deeper. A LSU tackle just announced yesterday. I hope that depth doesn't tempt us to wait until round 2. This is one year where need and BPA are going to closely align. Don't screw it up. The only non OT I would take at 10 is Derrick Brown, DT Auburn. That guy is a game wrecker. No worries though, I can't see any possibility he falls to 10 barring some unknown facts.

I would love to see OBJ moved. Maybe draft safety Delpit with the OBJ pick. But, Stefanski might love the idea of OBJ being on his offensive squad.

Speaking of OBJ, we heard about a season long injury that will probably require surgery. What's he going to do, wait to have it late enough he misses camp?

I liked the idea of Delpit better than I like the actual player on the field.

I'd rather hold onto OBJ, go OL with our first 2 picks, and take someone like Kyle Dugger at safety later. I do want to see more of Dugger at the Senior Bowl as his level of competition left something to be desired.

That too. Just throwing around ideas.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave

https://sports.yahoo.com/postbowl-season-nfl-mock-draft-four-q-bs-land-in-round-1-163246345.html

We might need to trade up if we want a guy who's ready to start year 1 in the NFL

Whether or not there is a run on OT's, if the dude isn't worthy of a Top 10 pick, you don't take him there, and aside from him being able to pancake smallish DE's in the ACC, I have seen/heard nothing to suggest this cat is even a 1st rounder.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And running the zone blocking scheme, that's not the skill set we'll be looking for.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think we should go OL with both of our first picks to be honest.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Legend
Legend
C

Director of the Senior Bowl^^^

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Whether or not there is a run on OT's, if the dude isn't worthy of a Top 10 pick, you don't take him there, and aside from him being able to pancake smallish DE's in the ACC, I have seen/heard nothing to suggest this cat is even a 1st rounder.

Dane Brugler and Daniel Jeremiah are pretty high on him.

Might have to further along in that string of tweets.

He has believers on draft twitter, too.

I haven't dug into him too much yet, but he's got some buzz. If he continues to work hard and goes into the combine in good looking shape, I could see him going round 1 pretty easily.

When he's at his best, he's pretty dominant. Can he stay there consistently is the question.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Jedrick Wills at #10. Best Right Tackle in the draft.

Then trade 2nd round pick to Washington Redskins for Trent Williams.

Offensive line fixed.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

Offensive line fixed.

At this point I think we could get Williams for our 2nd 3rd ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Offensive line fixed.

And that's all I would give. He is a great player, but is older and injury prone.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Offensive line fixed.

And that's all I would give. He is a great player, but is older and injury prone.

I would NOT even think of giving them a 2 for a LT thats about to turn 32 I believe ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Maybe my response to the quote was unclear: I would give our 2nd 3 rounder, at the most.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Maybe my response to the quote was unclear: I would give our 2nd 3 rounder, at the most.

I understood I was letting you know I agree with you smile

Legend
Legend
I'm exhausted. Brain shut down 20 minutes ago.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
What is your knee jerk reaction for a position or player?

I want to trade up and draft Chase Young.
What are you willing to give Washington for their 2nd pick?

M
Legend
Legend
M

P
Legend
Legend
P
This Years 1st (10) Next Years 1st (2021) This Years 2nd 3rd (26) for Chase Young

Round 1 Pick 2 (WASH): Chase Young, DE/OLB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 10: Larrell Murchison, DT, NC State (A)
Round 3 Pick 15 (DEN): Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa (A+)
Round 4 Pick 10: Josh Metellus, FS/SS, Michigan (A+)
Round 4 Pick 15 (DEN): Jon Runyan, OG, Michigan (A)
Round 6 Pick 8: Ashtyn Davis, FS/SS, California (A+)
Round 7 Pick 10: Luke Farrell, TE, Ohio State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 22: Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2022 Round 1 Pick

P
Legend
Legend
P
No, just no.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
No, just no.

I agree. If we do any trading at all, move down a bit to get a pick.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No, just no.

Maybe package our 2nd rounder and some more later picks to move back into the tail end of round one for a 2nd OT. 10 looks like a good spot for the first one.

Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
No, just no.

Maybe package our 2nd rounder and some more later picks to move back into the tail end of round one for a 2nd OT. 10 looks like a good spot for the first one.

I could see that. My comment was aimed more towards our 1st rounder. I wouldn't want to draft 2 OTs that high. Lets find one in FA. A couple of bookend rookie tackles doesn't breed confidence.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would agree about having two rookie OT's. The problem is that LT's that are any good and young never hit the FA market. And waiting longer to draft one hurts your chances.

Depending on who is on the board at #10, if they can get who they feel is the perfect choice at LT, I hope they take him. If not I could see a slight trade down.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If both OT spots can be satisfactorily fixed in free agency, I am 100% onboard with this idea.

The O would be fixed and the DLine would be given another beast to pair with Myles. Add a beast of a DT to push Ogun or Richardson to depth and we're starting to start having something.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

B
Legend
Legend
B
I would agree about having two rookie OT's. The problem is that LT's that are any good and young never hit the FA market. And waiting longer to draft one hurts your chances.

Depending on who is on the board at #10, if they can get who they feel is the perfect choice at LT, I hope they take him. If not I could see a slight trade down.

No disagreement. It's why I said I wouldn't want to drop down very far. That said, LT's are overvalued in todays NFL. QB's are rolling away from them all the time.

As stated before, I think it more important to have a solid starting 3 on the interior, but that is just me and maybe I am nitpicking points now.

We both agree we need to solidify the O-line. We drafted a QB #1 over all. It makes no sense to try to keep throwing 4th rounders in front of him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

A bit chilly down there now, but will be in the 50's and 60's by Wed. Pretty seasonal. They are probably liking it.

I like Mobile. A nice city. Been there several times. I am sure the boys will eat at Wentzell's Oyster House a few times. You have to do that when in Mobile.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

No disagreement. It's why I said I wouldn't want to drop down very far. That said, LT's are overvalued in todays NFL. QB's are rolling away from them all the time.

As stated before, I think it more important to have a solid starting 3 on the interior, but that is just me and maybe I am nitpicking points now.

We both agree we need to solidify the O-line. We drafted a QB #1 over all. It makes no sense to try to keep throwing 4th rounders in front of him.

I don't know Peen. I saw Bosa and others make our left and right tackles look ridiculous.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

I don't know Peen. I saw Bosa and others make our left and right tackles look ridiculous.

It's mostly because there was pressure up the middle. If the QB can step up, outside rushing angles are ruined. Also, what happened to the roll out pass last year? If you roll, the line can roll and you don't even have to worry about the backside guy unless you just hold the ball. If nothing is open, run, take your 3-4-5 yards and call it a good play.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
I like Mobile. A nice city. Been there several times. I am sure the boys will eat at Wentzell's Oyster House a few times. You have to do that when in Mobile.

Spent several months in Mobile on a project this past summer flying home on the weekends and ate at Wintzell's Oyster House at least a dozen times. Great Happy Hour. Good spot. They have a countdown clock on their wall for the Senior Bowl.

Noja's, The Noble South and Callaghan's Irish Social Club are also good spots.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
10 looks like a good spot for the first one.

Don't know if you saw my post earlier, but #10 might not get you one of the top 3 LT. The mock linked below (and one other I saw by Dane Brugler) both had Wills, Wirfs, and Thomas all gone by #8. The guy that was mocked to us (Becton, Louisville) might not be a particularly good choice for a zone blocking scheme. He weighs in at 365-370.

We might need to trade up if we want one of the top LT.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
10 looks like a good spot for the first one.

Don't know if you saw my post earlier, but #10 might not get you one of the top 3 LT. The mock linked below (and one other I saw by Dane Brugler) both had Wills, Wirfs, and Thomas all gone by #8. The guy that was mocked to us (Becton, Louisville) might not be a particularly good choice for a zone blocking scheme. He weighs in at 365-370.

We might need to trade up if we want one of the top LT.

There are about 10 OTs I like.

I expect 3 QBs, Chase Young, and Okudah to go before 10.

Becton is a freak, and looks like he's hard at work getting fitter and faster with Duke Manyweather and Michael Johnson. He moves in ways that shouldn't be possible for someone that big. He could end up being the first tackle taken after a monster combine.

I don't know about the interview side, but physically he probably has the highest ceiling.

I'm not sure we're going as all in on zone blocking as we've been led to believe. With news of Callahan becoming our OL coach, he's willing to adjust to the players he has to work with. He uses man and zone blocking.

Fiercely Independent.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft With the 10th pick in the draft the Browns select...

Link Copied to Clipboard