Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#1725074 01/25/20 07:33 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
He is in a position, not too dissimilar from that of a substitute teacher.

I was a sub for a bit. At some point you have to enact authority, and or respect.

It has to be 1 of the 2 ¿

They will take a mile, from the inch you give them.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wasn't Kevin Stefanski I enough?

L
Legend
Legend
L
I watched the press conference twice, and felt even more impressed the second time.

Also been reading up on him.

He’s smart, engaging, speaks well and has a good rep in coaching circles.... imo he has a chance, as much as anyone else we could have hired, to do well for us.

Last edited by lampdogg; 01/25/20 08:43 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

He’s smart, engaging, speaks well and has a good rep in coaching circles.... imo he has a chance, as much as anyone else we could have hired, to do well for us.

In that case, I give it until only June before the honeymoon is over and the local writers start stoking the fires for his pyre.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They'll be jealous as those are all traits they lack.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

In that case, I give it until only June before the honeymoon is over and the local writers start stoking the fires for his pyre.

I'm surprised they haven't. Figured by now there would be headlines "No One Wants To Come To Cleveland" because of the speed of the hiring.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Just a fluff piece in the Plain Dealer. But still a really good read about Stefanski.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01...-stand-out.html

Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski always stood out during his days in Philadelphia, even when he wasn’t trying to stand out
Updated 6:06 AM; Today 5:00 AM

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com
PHILADELPHIA -- Getting to St. Joseph’s Prep High School is everything you expect while driving in Philadelphia. Navigating claustrophobic one-way streets with cars parked bumper-to-bumper on each side. Detours around construction and parked trucks. White-knuckling through intersections, cursing the Waze app for directing you to turn left.

Eventually, you end up on West Girard Avenue, riding on the streetcar tracks to 18th street, where, almost out of nowhere, the towering, red brick, white-pillared Church of the Gesu rises above row houses. You don’t immediately notice the school connected to it or even the 2019 football state championship banner adorning the fence next to the intersection.

St. Joseph’s -- or The Prep, as anyone who spends more than a few hours there calls it -- is a football powerhouse, boasting state championships, national rankings and, probably most importantly, plenty of Philadelphia Catholic League (PCL) titles.

John Connors knows all about the tradition of St. Joseph’s and the PCL. Most of his family went to LaSalle, St. Joseph’s rival. He calls himself the black sheep, the one who went to The Prep.

Connors was a sophomore in 1999, starting for the first time on varsity and for the first time as a center. When it came time to take on LaSalle, Connors was amped. On the first play he barrelled into the nose guard.

Except he forgot to snap the ball.

Back in the huddle, waiting for him, was his quarterback, senior Kevin Stefanski, a first-year starter at that position. Stefanski calmed his young center down and The Prep went on to win a tight game.

Connors never considered Stefanski an inexperienced quarterback. He was the clear leader, the team’s QB1.

It’s just who Stefanski is. Calm under pressure. A leader among his peers. Prepared and humble. Tough and competitive. Connors saw all those qualities. So did everyone else. They were obvious to the people who knew Stefanski during his formative years. They’re the qualities the Browns believe they have found in their next leader.

‘Everybody saw how valuable he was’

Back when Stefanski was at St. Joseph’s, the football team practiced at a place called Belmont Plateau. It’s referenced by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince in the track, “Summertime.”

Back in Philly, we be out in the park ... A place called the plateau is where everybody go.

Connors remembers it well, an unimpressive stretch of field wedged between four baseball diamonds. After school, the players would carpool or hop on the bus for the 20-minute ride west across the Schuylkill River. There were no locker rooms or bathrooms, so they’d change out of the trunks of cars while cross country runners ran by on the courses around the field.

Prior to 1999, Stefanski’s quarterback experience was limited to the freshman team. He beat out Joe Judge for that job -- the Joe Judge who would eventually become the New York Giants’ head coach a few days prior to Stefanski joining the Browns. Judge transferred to Lansdale Catholic.

But Stefanski had to wait his turn to play quarterback once he moved up to varsity. Where he really made his mark early was as a safety.

Gil Brooks, Stefanski’s coach in high school, called him a killer. He was the nicest kid you’ll ever meet outside the lines, but he’d take your measure between them. He played the position like a linebacker. Looking back, Brooks compares him to current Vikings safety Harrison Smith.

Stefanski’s senior season was a transition year, said Brooks. The team was talented, but young. Brooks knew he would have to lean heavily on Stefanski to have any success.

Playing both ways, Stefanski won Catholic League MVP. He did it in a year when the league realigned and St. Joseph’s was in the big-school division, when Kevin Jones, on his way to Virginia Tech and a future first-round NFL pick, was in the league.

“Everybody saw and knew how valuable he was to The Prep,” Brooks said. “We wouldn’t have been near where we were without him.”

Connors remembers a game against Archbishop Ryan, where nothing was working in a contest so physical he felt like he had been in a car crash the next day. They leaned on Stefanski to run the ball and won a low-scoring affair.

Chris Rupertus, an English teacher and a coach on the freshman team, would watch the varsity games from the sidelines. He remembers watching Stefanski slammed to the ground on third down, his teammates peeling him off the cold, wet turf. Surely he would need some time to catch his breath. Instead, he walked to the bench, got a drink and, after the punt, went out to his free safety spot.

Stefanski carried St. Joseph’s as far as he could before hurting his ankle in the PCL semifinals against Roman Catholic.

“Kevin stays healthy, I think we probably win the championship that year,” Connors said.

Brooks said his coaching staff’s gameplan threw a lot at their players. Stefanski ate it up. Brooks credited Stefanski’s preparation for his ability to lay crushing hits on receivers, understand route concepts and anticipate where players were going.

Those are the skills he brought to Penn when he was thrown on the field right away at safety as a college freshman. Ray Priore, the Quakers’ current head coach, was the defensive coordinator in those days. He was impressed with how quickly Stefanski understood concepts as a freshman and how he applied that knowledge.

Coaches frantically calling in a check or an adjustment simply got an “I’ve got this” wave-off from Stefanski. He knew what they wanted done.

In the meeting rooms? He always had the answer.

“He was the smartest one,” Priore said.

‘Friend to all’

Stewart Barbera, a counselor at St. Joseph’s, still tells today’s students a Stefanski anecdote.

Barbera was a chaperone on Stefanski’s sophomore retreat. He noticed at lunchtime one day how one of the kids was shy and unsure where to go. Tables were filling up and the kid was clearly anxious.

Stefanski, unprompted, got up from his table of football players and asked the kid to come sit with them. Barbera brought it up to Stefanski later and he shrugged it off. It was, to Barbera, an example of a student committed to doing the right thing, even when he thought no one was looking.

Tony Braithwaite runs the theater program at St. Joseph’s. Stefanski, as a senior, took Braithwaite’s drama class as an elective. The school decided on a turn-of-the-century performance looking at the institution’s past, present and future. Stefanski helped write the show and was the lead. Braithwaite can still see Stefanski in his tuxedo, turning to deliver his greeting -- “Oh, hello” -- to the audience.

He’s convinced Stefanski could have been a star in the school’s Cape & Sword drama program if he had chosen that route.

James McGlynn taught Stefanski’s senior Systematic Theology course. Stefanski was quiet in McGlynn’s class, but not because he was shy or disengaged. He just never felt the need to speak up to impress. When he said something, it was thoughtful and pertinent. It was often original.

Rupertus, in his 22 years, has taught many taught many bright, ethical, charismatic kids. Stefanski managed to stand out. He was always well-prepared in the classroom, unwilling to be outworked. For Rupertus, he combined so many of those traits and showed them all the time.

Person after person who talked about Stefanski didn’t see the son of an NBA executive from the suburbs or a football star who roamed the hallways like he owned them.

“He worked hard to make sure he didn't come off as an egotistical pain in the ass,” Braithwaite said, “but, in fact, went the other way and was humble and nice and a kind of friend to all.”

It continued at Penn. When Priore first met Stefanski during the recruiting process, he was impressed with his ability to connect with anyone. He had the maturity of a 38-year-old at age 18.

During those years, Stefanski developed a relationship with a man named Dan Staffieri, a 79-year-old assistant football coach and Game-Day Coordinator. Because his last name was hard to pronounce, he simply went by Coach Lake because the last part of his name sounded like Lake Erie.

Stefanski, when he was injured and redshirting one season, took on the job of driving Coach Lake around campus in a cart shaped like a Penn football helmet on Fridays while Coach Lake yelled through his bullhorn to urge students to come to the game. Stefanski’s connection with Coach Lake was so strong, he continued as his driver, even after he was back playing and starting again.

“He does so much for us,” Stefanski said in a story about Coach Lake in the Daily Pennsylvanian, “it’s the least I could do for him.”

Staffieri died in 2010. There’s a plaque with his image on it, hand outstretched in the Penn home tunnel which players high five as they run out. Priore and Penn’s Director of Athletic Communications Mike Mahoney recalled the story as just another example of the type of person Stefanski was when he arrived on campus.

St. Joseph’s Prep science teacher Barbara Brown summed up Stefanski in an email:

“He was that kid. The one who is smart, talented, athletic and got along with his peers and with the adults in his life. But the best thing about Kevin was that he was completely oblivious to the fact that he was that kid.”

‘One of the bright lights’

The people of St. Joseph’s are proud of their school, but there are two things in particular they take great pride in.

First is being in the heart of North Philly. A fire in the 1960s presented an opportunity to move out of the city. The Jesuits decided to stay and rebuild.

Andrew T. Cavacos, the school’s principal, thinks it’s important for the boys who attend, many coming from outside the city, to deal with long commutes into the city for early-morning practices. They have to figure it out, he says, show up and seize the day.

The school also prides itself on producing leaders, and the phrase servant leadership is used often. The last two mayors of Philadelphia both went to The Prep. Parents have told Connors, Stefanski’s former teammate who now helps coach the football team, that they don’t send their boys to be average.

Stefanski was certainly not average. McGlynn believes his decision to shun his family’s long ties to basketball and focus on football was a symbol of his individuality.

Frank Raffa, a longtime Spanish and French teacher, was impressed Stefanski was as interested in school as he was football.

When Stefanski decided to go into coaching, Brooks said he was a wet blanket, asking Stefanski if he was sure he really wanted to do the menial, entry-level tasks it takes to get into coaching. He believes Stefanski could have hit the ground running on the path to becoming a CEO, making real money right away.

During Priore’s interview, a former Penn player who is now a successful businessman popped his head in Priore’s office. The two exchanged greetings. After Priore sat back down, he said, “Kevin could have been him -- going into the private world in business. Went the coaching route.”

Instead, after graduation, Stefanski stayed on at Penn as their version of a graduate assistant, doing the dirty work as a part-time staffer. He eventually joined the Eagles as an operations intern. Brad Childress brought him to the Vikings in 2006.

Priore believes there are people in this world that are interested in being good and there are people that are committed to being good. He saw the latter in Stefanski at Penn and as he climbed the ladder in Minnesota. He believes what will make Stefanski successful is the same approach, a commitment evident in the history of St. Joseph’s and in Stefanski’s time there.

“He understands that, whether it’s The Prep or he’s at Penn or the Vikings, one person doesn’t do it all,” Priore said.

When Stefanski was introduced as Browns head coach on Jan. 14, you better believe The Prep community was paying attention.

Braithwaite called it great casting. He said sometimes kids will surprise you after they leave. Not Stefanski. It has all made perfect sense. A little older, a little more gray, but it was definitely Kevin -- self-possessed, confident, poised, humble.

There are the football stories, but so many at St. Joseph’s were eager to talk about Stefanski the student, the person, the friend to all. He embodied, to them, so many qualities their school teaches.

It’s why it’s so easy for Raffa to call him “one of the bright lights” during his many years teaching at the school.

Many of the qualities the Browns found in Stefanski were already apparent to The Prep. It’s where he learned, as Rupertus put it, that the collective effort is what’s important. Everybody contributes and real success can only occur when you stop worrying about personal glory.

“The Kevin you’re seeing now," Braithwaite said, "is exactly who we knew and loved.”

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Wow,
he went to a Catholic HS.
I will now amend my prediction to 6-10

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Perhaps MKC can't wait that long? Might be an optimistic timeframe for The Land's sportswriters. I still wish him the best.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Wow,

What was the original prediction? I am not sure which way you shifted.

Ah, Catholic HS. What memories.

What is the difference between Sister Mary Godzilla and a catfish? One has whiskers and smells really bad.

The other lives in a lake.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Wow,

He's got connections to the Big Guy! LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

Honestly I like these types of articles.

It is interesting to have a frame of reference of a guy. Where he came from. His personal background.

Is going to tell what kind of coach he is?

No. But it does give some insight into his character.

I get the apathy. I really do. It stems from last year. When your dying of thirst any kind of water tastes good.

After being as bad as bad can be. Dorsey/Freddie/Baker/Odell/Jarvis/Myles/Chubb looked pretty good.

I was dying to just have a winning season. And I thought for sure 2019 was going to be it.

When that fell apart it made it worse. Then it was clear Freddie was going. I did not expect Dorsey. But understood him not accepting a lessor role.

So I get that Stefanski, Berry, Depo, Haslam is not going to have many jumping for joy.

At the same time I am not going to bury these guys because of what has happened before.

Don't think it is fair to write off Stefanski or Berry.

Depo has been here. Some want to attach a conspiracy to his role. Frankly, I doubt he has the power some believe. But I don't know for sure.

Haslam. I don't know the man so I won't pass judgement on his character. I will on his results as an owner.

He has mismanaged the franchise. He made poor decisions. Not intentionally but none the less his mistakes led to the results.

I dislike that he feels it necessary to insert himself into football management decisions. I wish he would hire a president of football operations and take himself out of the picture. But he owns the team and can do what he wants.

Stefanski/Berry/Depo all lack experience in their current role to lead a team.

They have experience but not as leaders to run a team.

That is a concern. I wanted McCarthy.

However, that does not mean they can not succeed.

I just came from believing Dorsey and Freddie would do great.

So I am not going to forecast this group will crash and burn.

I am just going to sit back and see how it plays out. I back the uniforms not so much the individuals.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally I predicted 6-10,that is how much sway this fluff piece has.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks!

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
So let's see. In the 2 weeks since Stefanski has been head coach of the Browns...

- Odell Beckham is caught on video handing out wads of cash to LSU football players on the field which is blatant violation of NCAA rules, then in a separate video throws something at a cop, smacks his butt, and taunts the officer afterward.

- Kareem Hunt is pulled over for speeding. In his backpack, which literally has his name on it, the officer finds weed and an open bottle of vodka. Kareem tells the officer that he'd fail a drug test right now.

- We hired the #2 front office architect of the 1-31 nightmare to be our G.M.

- The more recently-arrived football guys Wolf and Highsmith left the organization.

Am I missing anything?

Good luck Kevin, you're going to need it.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Is this still a teaching thread?i thought it was for a second,

Paul Brown initiated headphones in a quarterbacks ear from tank warfare. BB took much from those teachings.

Delete, recycle, repeat. I just wanted to pretend there was football genius, in Ohio

The Cleveland Browns will always be stronger than billions from Tennessee, and a think tank form Cali.

My resolve will not differ

B
Legend
Legend
B
I saw the article as more than fluff.

I see it as a roadmap on where the man has been and how it got him here. Always a good read IMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Honestly as it stands today with what is in place KS, AB, PD, Woods, Van Pelt, Callahan, Priefer not bad.

The staff seems competent. Of course time will tell.

Woods has stated he will keep the 4-3. Good.

I think from KS and Van Pelt the offense will feature play action as the baseline. Which I have always felt was a good thing. I expect they will invest in the OL in order to make that effective.

So, although there is nothing to see on a field I do like what I see as far as team direction on offensive and defensive philosophy.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It does look like a nice blend of talent. Good "Football" guys and a solid support staff digging in to the things they don't have the time or capability to do.

Looks good to me. We still have a few hires to go, but we have the main players in place. That is all that really matters. Those guys coach the other coaches as much as players. Maybe more.

"Here is what I want you to coach, but I want you to add to it, be the best coach you can be, I demand that."

And then the chain remains unbroken. George Halas, Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Tom Landry, Bill Belicheck, the chain remains strong.

In coaching you follow your teachers, find your own wrinkle, you are a part of the chain.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
We've all got a connection with Big Guy, some just don't acknowledge it.

Like the Catholic reporting- Catholic leagues known to be brutal within the lines and then shake your hand- after trying to knock your teeth out.

I lost my good feelings about Freedie Kitchen's when Baltimore training camp fiasco happened - coach can't be one of the guys, I'm pretty sure KS won't be- And hope trying to make millionaires accountable works, because FK wasn't in touch as much as he thought. Dorsey badmouthing everyone except himself rubbed me wrong way. M looked good his rookie year, but hope he grows up. Dorsey owns giving away the top 2nd round pick, almost ANY football elevator should have, could have gotten more. And I hope we're done with Gordon types- CHARACTER does count and hope we don't push talent over character tooooo mmuucchh....remember Johnny- how'd that work out.

Hope the new coach gets a functional staff together and we get to .500 percent in wins....wouldn't that be a joy. PS. I lost a hundred to Vegas on over and under last year....won't make that mistake again.....won't count the hatches before they actually exist.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Stefanski, sounds like a nice polish boy.

He’s a good looking guy. Maybe he can unlock Odell at a runway show in NY. Not in Cleveland.

Authority and or respect. It sounds cliche, but every ego needs to checked at the door.

This includes Jimmy Haslam.

Legend
Legend
Kevin Stefanski said he wants to let OC Alex Van Pelt call some plays in practices and preseason and see how it goes before deciding who’ll be the play caller when the regular season begins

https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1232366134818635776

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
If true (taking it into August), I'm a bit uncomfortable with the indecision going into the offense a month before the season.

Who knows - could just be a sense of diplomacy from our new coach?

Or - he's just "shaking things out" before real game day stuff.

Again, a little uncomfortable.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
If true (taking it into August), I'm a bit uncomfortable with the indecision going into the offense a month before the season.

Who knows - could just be a sense of diplomacy from our new coach?

Or - he's just "shaking things out" before real game day stuff.

Again, a little uncomfortable.

The optimistic view is that Stefanski really doesn't know who will call plays and wants more information before making a decision. That's wisdom.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The new plan is to develop a plan.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
The optimistic view is that Stefanski really doesn't know who will call plays and wants more information before making a decision. That's wisdom.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The new plan is to develop a plan.

I wouldn't say Dorsey didn't have a plan, just that it was unclear.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Like trying to figure out who will be doing the play calling this coming season is?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Like trying to figure out who will be doing the play calling this coming season is?

The plan seems pretty clear. See if Alex Van Pelt can call plays, if not Stefanski calls plays.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It seems you feel not having a clue who will be calling the plays this year as a plan.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
It seems you feel not having a clue who will be calling the plays this year as a plan.

Not having a clue = knowing it's one of two people?

That seems like a lot of clues.

P
Legend
Legend
P
....would be you have no idea which persons responsibility a very important game day job will be.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
....would be you have no idea which persons responsibility a very important game day job will be.

No idea? We literally have an idea. If it's not one, it's the other.

No idea would be this:

"Who is going to call plays?"

"Not me. I don't know who."

P
Legend
Legend
P
If you haven't made a decision on who is going to call the plays, you have no idea which person will be doing that job.

You're trying to base an entire debate on semantics.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
If you haven't made a decision on who is going to call the plays, you have no idea which person will be doing that job.

Not having made a decision and not knowing are not the same thing.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What? How can you know if you haven't made that decision yet?

saywhat

Like I said before. You're trying to base a debate on semantics.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
What? How can you know if you haven't made that decision yet?

saywhat

Like I said before. You're trying to base a debate on semantics.

Either or is a decision to me. I guess it depends on your perspective. No big deal.

Legend
Legend

We know exactly who will be calling plays.

If Stefanski doesn't feel comfortable with Van Pelt during preseason, it will be Stefanski calling them. Otherwise, it will be Van Pelt.

It's really pretty clear with zero ambiguity.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

We know exactly who will be calling plays.

If Stefanski doesn't feel comfortable with Van Pelt during preseason, it will be Stefanski calling them. Otherwise, it will be Van Pelt.

It's really pretty clear with zero ambiguity.

And Stefanski has not deviated from what he said in his introductory press conference when he was asked about play calling duties and he responded, "If there is someone I am comfortable with calling the plays, they will call the plays, if not, I will call the plays."

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski II

Link Copied to Clipboard