Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Quote:
Come on mac! The same bunch who support the 1-31 guys must know more than a guy who has three SB rings! Haven't you been listening?

No, way off base. We know that Depo isn't running things and we know that we aren't in tear down mode like we were several years ago.

Ah, but I didn't say that. I said "the 1-31 guys". Our freshly minted 32 year old GM is included in that. But you do have a point. Haslam is the one who has been running this rudderless ship.

Quote:
I think Wolf Sr. might be a bit miffed his son didn't get the job. I understand that.

He might be. He also might understand you need a balance to run a team and that things here are tilted heavily in one direction. I mean his son was on the inside of everything that's gone on here. None of us are. We have guesses and theories. They have first hand information.

Quote:
If you and others want to remain in panic mode, there is noting I can do about it.

As for me, I am as calm as can be because I think we have a pretty perfect situation on our hands.

There's nothing "perfect" about this situation. Once again your making assumptions based on little to no evidence as I've seen you do many times when you want to paint a huge light into a dark room. But let's not pretend it's any more than that.

Panic? Why would I panic? We've both seen this same failing BS time after time for 20 years now. The difference between us I would say is a simple one. Once I've seen the same movie six or seven times, I know how it ends. You keep expecting the same movie to end differently no matter how many times you've seen it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh I'm not saying Baker sucks. But to proclaim him as some great franchise QB at this point is certainly premature.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Agreed.
He has tons of promise, but he needs to step up his game.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
You twisted everything I said.

Forget it. I am happy, and as long as I am happy, I don't care about the ones who aren't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

I read where Landry felt Freddie didn't handle Baker very well?

I like the quarterback background of Stefanski, Callahan and now Van Pelt.

All three have worked well with quarterbacks that have improved under them. All three are mechanics based in teaching.

The yet to be hired quarterback coach will play an important role as well.

The combo of Freddie, Monken and Findley did not appear to work for Baker.

Maybe this new group will be able to get the most from him.

Baker is a confident proud guy. I am sure he was humbled last year which is a good thing.

He has a to do list. I believe he will be highly motivated.

I am not forecasting a thing. I want to see him play and play better.

However, I do believe in his potential to be good.

The team faces many challenges this season. Baker is one of many.

The Browns defense needs to improve. Especially is situational down and distance. I was not keen on how Wilks handled certain situations during the game. Run defense must improve. Myles and Vernon need to stay on the field.

We know very little about Kevin Stefanski. This is a big step up for him. Callahan should be helpful. But we have no idea how this will work out.

I am not stressed. Firmly in the wait and see mold. It is easier than last year when I was overly confident. Reality came hard and quick when we got slapped down by the Titans.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish
I read where Landry felt Freddie didn't handle Baker very well?

Yet when Freddie took over as OC Baker looked very good and we went 5-3. It's actually the best he has ever looked in the NFL.

Quote:
I like the quarterback background of Stefanski, Callahan and now Van Pelt.

All three have worked well with quarterbacks that have improved under them. All three are mechanics based in teaching.

The yet to be hired quarterback coach will play an important role as well.

That seems like an odd comment to me. Dalton actually stunk it up so badly last year he was benched for a very poor back-up QB. Afterwords it was musical chairs from the back-up, back to Dalton towards the end of the season.

Quote:
The combo of Freddie, Monken and Findley did not appear to work for Baker.

Freddie the HC I agree. Freddie the OC seemed to get the most out of Baker.

Quote:
Baker is a confident proud guy. I am sure he was humbled last year which is a good thing.

He has a to do list. I believe he will be highly motivated.

We all certainly hope so.

Quote:
I am not forecasting a thing. I want to see him play and play better.

However, I do believe in his potential to be good.

We certainly saw that potential with Freddie as the OC.

Quote:
We know very little about Kevin Stefanski. This is a big step up for him. Callahan should be helpful. But we have no idea how this will work out.

I am not stressed. Firmly in the wait and see mold. It is easier than last year when I was overly confident. Reality came hard and quick when we got slapped down by the Titans.

I'm in the wait and see mode as well. I'm just trying to provide a little balance and facts that those who are farting flowers and rainbows won't.

wink

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Giving on opposing opinion isn't twisting anything.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
We have balance. We have footall guys at GM and head coach, and both agree with an analytic approach.

Is Berry a football guy? Is Stefanski? Those are the two decision makers. Everybody else is in a supporting role.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess that depends on who you listen to. Some of the Sashiites seem to think analytics has now taken over. Wolf, who actually worked inside the building seems to feel the same way. I guess I have to ask, if the objective is to have everyone on the same page, why is it you see Berry as a "football guy"?

I mean isn't a 32 year old guy that may very well lean more on analytics than almost anyone else they could have hired at the position? I'm just not sure how you are reaching your conclusions.

It seems both Wolf and Paton saw something that made both of them very uncomfortable. For some reason I can't imagine balance being the issue.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Ron Wolf was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers vice president of football operations from 1976 to 1978. Their record in that time period? 7-37. He resigned and then took the GM position with the Green Bay Packers where he built his Hall of Fame resume.

Andrew Berry was the Cleveland Browns vice president of player personnel from 2016 to 2018. Their record in that time period? 8-39-1.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Yet when Freddie took over as OC Baker looked very good and we went 5-3. It's actually the best he has ever looked in the NFL.

As the OC, Freddie asked the players about plays they liked and adjusted to that.

As the HC, Freddie was Dorsey's "Yes man." If the players didn't like it, tough.

Freddie was calling plays they hadn't even practiced that week, so it seems basically impossible that they were plays the players "liked."

It appears to me that Freddie changed for the worse with added responsibility, pressure and Dorsey dictating things like, imho, taking on Monken and who to play.

It sounds like Stefanski can handle the pressure and Berry will be more collaborative than Dorsey. Now they have to prove it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Zampese was the reason Baker looked better in his reads and mechanics in 2018 not Freddie. People forget the biggest change was the QB coach, OC/playcaller stayed same. You replaced a pretty good Qb coach that had plenty of experience with a guy that should be parking cars. Baker is in a much better situation this year from a coaching standpoint and believers in mechanics..he's not going to be able to reject broom sweepers this year, and rightfully so, he looked like a bust last year. If baker struggles this year in a QB friendly offense like Kubiak/shanahan, then its def. his issue. I mean Kirk Cousins looked good in it. If we get woods as DC, I like this staff alot more than I did last years. This year's staff is built with experienced guys to support the HC, and hopefully in contrast of last year, this HC allows himself to be helped.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess that depends on who you listen to. Some of the Sashiites seem to think analytics has now taken over. Wolf, who actually worked inside the building seems to feel the same way. I guess I have to ask, if the objective is to have everyone on the same page, why is it you see Berry as a "football guy"?

I mean isn't a 32 year old guy that may very well lean more on analytics than almost anyone else they could have hired at the position? I'm just not sure how you are reaching your conclusions.

It seems both Wolf and Paton saw something that made both of them very uncomfortable. For some reason I can't imagine balance being the issue.

I think most pro-Sashi people think analytics are a tool you should use in conjunction with football experience.

Dorsey thought analytics were something that were a pain in his behind and should be buried in a deep, dark hole (his trash can.)

Wolf and Paton weren't willing to change. No more, no less.

Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
At least we now know who that fly on the wall was ... *L* ...

If Paton didn’t believe in analytics we wouldn’t have brought him back for a second interview ... why is the word we wanted to keep Wolf if he was so opposed to analytics ...

And u have no clue what KJ thought of analytics ..... I don’t understand why everyone is so dismayed with KJ ... MIS PLACED ANGER ...

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Ron Wolf was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers vice president of football operations from 1976 to 1978. Their record in that time period? 7-37. He resigned and then took the GM position with the Green Bay Packers where he built his Hall of Fame resume.

Andrew Berry was the Cleveland Browns vice president of player personnel from 2016 to 2018. Their record in that time period? 8-39-1.

Ron Wolf thinks analytics are out of control.

I'd say Ron Wolf's Tampa Bay Buccaneers that started out 0-26 were out of control!

I also think when he emphatically told Randy Lerner he needs to hire Mike Holmgren to turn the Browns around, Ron was out of control!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think his ten division titles and three SB rings dictate otherwise.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I never knew so many of these dawgs lived on one way streets ... thumbsup

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I think his ten division titles and three SB rings dictate otherwise.

Good thing Ron was given a second chance and wasn't labeled 'Mr. 0 and 26' wink

P
Legend
Legend
P
Who is it we're giving a second chance that has done their job at that position in the past ten years?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:
Dorsey was very good.

Blows my mind people believe this.

If you think blows your mind, what about the people that think Baker is the best thing since sliced bread?

I've covered the Baker thing plenty. He had an off year, but yes, I believe he's a franchise quarterback and he'll be fine.

Dorsey was pretty bad. If you think otherwise, congrats.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually look at football rosters. I also watch QB play.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, are you arguing that John Dorsey was good and Baker is bad in the same post? Both of those things cannot be true.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, are you arguing that John Dorsey was good and Baker is bad in the same post? Both of those things cannot be true.

Football Guy.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm saying the jury is still out on Baker and those suggesting otherwise aren't being realistic about that. I'm also saying that Dorsey built a roster that caused almost every Browns fan to believe we would be in contention to win the division last year until Freddie stunk it up as HC.

And now they're trying to rewrite history.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The Bengals are not a great barometer. They had serious problems obviously. Not having Green was minor compared to all the other stuff.

Aaron Rodgers had a lot of good things to say about Van Pelt.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-pack...ure--115422614/

He later stated it was his belief that Van Pelt will be a very good OC.

It is odd that Freddie the OC and Freddie the HC were at odds. I don't have an answer. The only thing I remember reading was Monken saying how messed up game prep was. Whatever it was the results were bad. Baker has to shoulder blame as well. But the offense never clicked like it did the second half of 2018.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-clear-message/

Given all that has taken place and where we are now. Mind numbing. On one hand I can this going poorly on the other it maybe an improvement.

Back to wait and see.

Last edited by bonefish; 01/30/20 02:26 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
At least we now know who that fly on the wall was ... *L* ...

If Paton didn’t believe in analytics we wouldn’t have brought him back for a second interview ... why is the word we wanted to keep Wolf if he was so opposed to analytics ...

And u have no clue what KJ thought of analytics ..... I don’t understand why everyone is so dismayed with KJ ... MIS PLACED ANGER ...

We liked Paton and Wolf, but they weren't willing to adapt to the structure ("change") that the guy who would have been employing them wanted. They walked away. I'm not putting a good, bad, or indifferent label to it.

Dorsey's frequent derogatory use of the word nerds and his repeatedly saying they didn't bring in "real football players" makes Dorsey's opinion pretty clear to me. I suppose the binder in the trash can story isn't something I saw firsthand, but it seems to fit his public persona and stories that came out about his time in KC.

It's more resigned disgust than anger. If he could have set his ego aside, Dorsey was a good scout. People calling him King probably didn't help. catfight tongue

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, Aaron Rodgers has decided that he thinks he should be making the coaching decisions in Green Bay. He's been doing that ever since McCarthy was there. They really should have kept Van Pelt in Green Bay. I mean it's not like they played in the NFC Championship game this year or anything. wink

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Sashites....really....still leaning on that?

We had two problems....both Sashi and Hue.

Get over it man, why go back to talk 2-3 years in the past?

Let's agree they both sucked. Why not just leave it there?

Sashi made bad decision and Hue was inept a being a head coach. Sounds fair to me.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its sashiettes .... wink ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Sashites....really....still leaning on that?

We had two problems....both Sashi and Hue.

Get over it man, why go back to talk 2-3 years in the past?

Because two of the top three in charge in the Sashi regime are back together? I mean let's face it, people wish to act as though they all worked independently of each other and somehow we're in a great situation now.

Quote:
Let's agree they both sucked. Why not just leave it there?

Sashi made bad decision and Hue was inept a being a head coach. Sounds fair to me.

Oh they did. But have you been reading the board? Some still claim otherwise.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't claim that....don't talk to me about that.

If I had to take one over the other I would take Sashi over Hue simply because I felt Hue was the dividing factor.....but that is old.....time to stay current.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Currently two of the three powers that be during the sashi era are still here. As long as that situation exists it is current. It a part of the team going forward.

The least rotten of two apples is still a rotten apple.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

What year did Tampa enter the NFL? Did they have free agency to help build the roster?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

What year did Tampa enter the NFL? Did they have free agency to help build the roster?

Don't cloud the record with more data!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Currently two of the three powers that be during the sashi era are still here. As long as that situation exists it is current. It a part of the team going forward.

Why do you keep saying 2 of 3? The top 2, Sashi and Hue are both gone.

Also, they're people, not apples. They weren't plucked off a tree. Berry's 32, he was and is still growing. They weren't permanently contaminated. Hue, maybe, at least until he's willing to learn from the experience and change.

Martin Mayhew is doing okay in San Francisco after having a similar role to what Berry had under Sashi while he (Mayhew) was in Detroit the year they went 0-16.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Hue, maybe, at least until he's willing to learn from the experience and change.

He just needs better players. laugh

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm saying the jury is still out on Baker and those suggesting otherwise aren't being realistic about that. I'm also saying that Dorsey built a roster that caused almost every Browns fan to believe we would be in contention to win the division last year until Freddie stunk it up as HC.

And now they're trying to rewrite history.

It wasn't the roster that made me believe we would be in contention to win the division, it was Baker. That was the reason EVERYONE felt that way. Amazingly enough, Baker had a down year and we struggled. And yes, Freddie stunk it up. That much we can agree on. But as for the rest of the roster? Dorsey did a really crappy job. He's gone, isn't he?

Feel free to continue to rewrite history...

B
Legend
Legend
B

That's why I discount your opinion on this matter. You aren't willing to give it a chance, but in the end, you have no choice.

We are back to where we should have been all along. I do understand that chaps some of you.

Last time Sashi wasn't the guy to be the lead. Hue wasn't a good coach who was never in step with the plan..

I think this time we have a good coach on board, and Berry is a highly respected "football guy". Depo is still solid support.

As has been said, there is no telling if it will work, but there is no telling that it won't. There is no reason why it can't.

All three of the main players played college football. They know what it is like to be a member of a college football team.

All three are Ivy grads, so all of them have a high degree if intelligence. I mean we can argue about intelligence, but seriously, you have to be a pretty bright person to graduate from a Ivy school. You have to be in a pretty high percentile to get in let alone graduate.

Our 2 main decision makers have vast NFL experience. Each has been in the league over 10 years. It's hard to say they don't have experience in the NFL game.

Depo doesn't have as much NFL experience, but I say that doesn't matter. The guy is at the top of his field in sports analytics.

Again my friend, it's not some Voodoo thing....it's just a process to gather and sort information. It's just a tool. It isn't the say all end all. We are still going to have scouts scouting and that will form the majority of our decisions.

It still takes boots on the ground to win wars. The drone pilots 500 miles away are great. They can provide a lot of great recon. Valuable info that saves life's but it still takes boots on the ground to get it done with the information they have.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

He played the whole year and the roster changed as well.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Why do you keep saying 2 of 3? The top 2, Sashi and Hue are both gone.

Hue was not a part of the FO that purged talent. Somehow you have confused the coaching staff with the FO.

Quote:
Also, they're people, not apples. They weren't plucked off a tree. Berry's 32, he was and is still growing. They weren't permanently contaminated.

Berry has been gone for one year.

Quote:
Martin Mayhew is doing okay in San Francisco after having a similar role to what Berry had under Sashi while he (Mayhew) was in Detroit the year they went 0-16.

Mayhew is not the GM in San Fran. He wasn't given that much power.

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Highsmith and Wolf Are Out

Link Copied to Clipboard